Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Sauerkraut

The Cook wrote:
> I just finished printing and reading the discussion from last year
> about making sauerkraut in canning jars. Do you use regular or wide
> mouth, or just which ever you happen to have the most of?
>
> I pick 3 heads this morning and am trying to soak the to get all of
> the critters out. I need to get the making set up for a broccoli
> casserole, probably while getting the jars clean.

I use whichever jar I have at the moment. It is easier to stuff a wide
mouth jar than a regular.

Cabbage and broccoli are winter plants for us here in USDA Zone 9b. I
don't know what the Sunset zone is, anyone have an idea? We live in
Sulphur, Louisiana about 50 miles from the Gulf and we're only at 12
feet above sea level.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> The Cook wrote:
>> I just finished printing and reading the discussion from last year
>> about making sauerkraut in canning jars. Do you use regular or wide
>> mouth, or just which ever you happen to have the most of?
>>
>> I pick 3 heads this morning and am trying to soak the to get all of
>> the critters out. I need to get the making set up for a broccoli
>> casserole, probably while getting the jars clean.

> I use whichever jar I have at the moment. It is easier to stuff a wide
> mouth jar than a regular.
>
> Cabbage and broccoli are winter plants for us here in USDA Zone 9b. I
> don't know what the Sunset zone is, anyone have an idea? We live in
> Sulphur, Louisiana about 50 miles from the Gulf and we're only at 12
> feet above sea level.

Hi George,

Just sending you more deep bows. You are a grower's grower and a master
gardener. I mostly lurk, but always read your posts.

I have 114 tomatoes, 179 squash, in the 100's for assorted peppers here
in San Jose, CA.

Good luck this summer,

Regards,
Posted to rec.food.preserving

jazzplayer wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> The Cook wrote:
>>> I just finished printing and reading the discussion from last year
>>> about making sauerkraut in canning jars. Do you use regular or wide
>>> mouth, or just which ever you happen to have the most of?
>>>
>>> I pick 3 heads this morning and am trying to soak the to get all of
>>> the critters out. I need to get the making set up for a broccoli
>>> casserole, probably while getting the jars clean.

>> I use whichever jar I have at the moment. It is easier to stuff a wide
>> mouth jar than a regular.
>>
>> Cabbage and broccoli are winter plants for us here in USDA Zone 9b. I
>> don't know what the Sunset zone is, anyone have an idea? We live in
>> Sulphur, Louisiana about 50 miles from the Gulf and we're only at 12
>> feet above sea level.

> Hi George,
>
> Just sending you more deep bows. You are a grower's grower and a master
> gardener. I mostly lurk, but always read your posts.
>
> I have 114 tomatoes, 179 squash, in the 100's for assorted peppers here
> in San Jose, CA.
>
> Good luck this summer,
>
> Regards,

Thanks, I'm not a master of anything, just been gardening and preserving
since I was about eight years old and that's been a very long time ago.
We have a lot of knowledge on this newsgroup and the folks are very
willing to share.

I hope you weren't threatened by the fires we've been seeing on the telly.

Are you market gardening or just like to garden so well that you put up
a years worth of food. We did that when our kids were young, now they're
getting closer to fifty years of age than thirty. Our garden was 90 feet
long and 50 feet wide and we raised all of the produce and most of the
meat for a family of four on ten acres. Cow and calf, a rabbitry with 85
breeding does, milk goats, pigs, chickens, ducks and even a 3/4 acre
pond full of fish. In addition I hunted and fished from an early age. We
had over 30 cubic feet of freezer storage and a 10X12 pantry inside the
house. whew! Too old for that sort of thing anymore thank goodness. Back
then it wasn't work, it was fun and something the whole family could do
together that only cost a little sweat.

Keep on growing it and putting it by, you can't go wrong there.

George, feeling nostalgic this morning

Sauerkraut George Shirley Preserving 6 01-04-2010 05:28 PM
Sauerkraut tetchy Recipes (moderated) 0 08-10-2006 06:16 PM
Sauerkraut Taemon Vegan 7 03-11-2005 01:01 PM
sauerkraut Dawn Preserving 10 14-09-2004 04:36 PM