Old 30-10-2005, 10:18 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Taemon

Default Sauerkraut

Hi,

I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't
really like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't want
to do that, do we precious? So - how do you prepare sauerkraut?

T.

Old 30-10-2005, 12:47 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
C. James Strutz

"Taemon" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't really
like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't want to do that,
do we precious? So - how do you prepare sauerkraut?

I like sauerkraut with pierogies. Just heat 'em up together in a pan and
you're ready to go. A little homemade apple sauce on the side is great.

We have a lot of ethnic churches here in western PA that sell pierogies to
raise money. Literally, little old Polish and Ukranian ladies make them in
the basement of the church. Quality varies widely however. Pierogies from
one nearby church come slathered in lots of butter - yuk. Actually, Mrs. T's
pierogies that you buy frozen in the supermarket aren't too bad.

Old 31-10-2005, 07:20 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
Taemon

C. James Strutz wrote:

"Taemon" wrote in message
I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't
really like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't
want to do that, do we precious? So - how do you prepare
sauerkraut?

I like sauerkraut with pierogies. Just heat 'em up together in a pan
and you're ready to go. A little homemade apple sauce on the side is
great.

We don't have those here :-( I'll think about it for a while. The
good thing about sauerkraut is, it stays good :-)

T.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:34 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Barnacle Bill

On 2005-10-31, Taemon wrote:
C. James Strutz wrote:

"Taemon" wrote in message
I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't
really like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't
want to do that, do we precious? So - how do you prepare
sauerkraut?

I like sauerkraut with pierogies. Just heat 'em up together in a pan
and you're ready to go. A little homemade apple sauce on the side is
great.

We don't have those here :-( I'll think about it for a while. The
good thing about sauerkraut is, it stays good :-)

T.

Bad thing about sauerkraut (for vegans) is that it is
worthless without some kind of sausage...

BB
Old 02-11-2005, 08:58 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Taemon

On 2005-10-31, Taemon wrote:
I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I
don't
really like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't
want to do that, do we precious? So - how do you prepare
sauerkraut?

Bad thing about sauerkraut (for vegans) is that it is
worthless without some kind of sausage...

We have relatively good vegetarian sausages here. Not vegan, as it
contains some egg. But since they are free-range eggs, I don't mind. I
hardly eat them anyway. No, it's the cheese I'll have to find
something about. Same with fennel. I hate fennel. I discovered that if
you marinate it with oil and lots of lemon juice and then grill it,
it's just about palatable. But to make it good, it needs a soft white
cheese. I'll think about it some more.

T.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:32 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
C. James Strutz

On 2005-10-31, Taemon wrote:
C. James Strutz wrote:

"Taemon" wrote in message
I've got sauerkraut in my vegetable subscription this week. I don't
really like sauerkraut, except with loads of cheese and we don't
want to do that, do we precious? So - how do you prepare
sauerkraut?
I like sauerkraut with pierogies. Just heat 'em up together in a pan
and you're ready to go. A little homemade apple sauce on the side is
great.

We don't have those here :-( I'll think about it for a while. The
good thing about sauerkraut is, it stays good :-)

T.

Bad thing about sauerkraut (for vegans) is that it is
worthless without some kind of sausage...

I disagree. Sauerkraut is good by itself, without sausage or pierogies or
anything else. Maybe it's an acquired taste for some people - depends on the
individual I suppose.

Hmm, it occured to me that sauerkraut is used on a particular kind of
sandwich. Can't think of the name right now - it has corned beef,
sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing on rye bread. Maybe
invent a veg*nized version of it. Keep the rye bread and swiss (or use vegan
swiss if you prefer), add a thick slice of tomato, and dress it with hummus.
Something like that...

Old 03-11-2005, 01:44 AM posted to alt.food.vegan
Barnacle Bill

On 2005-11-02, C. James Strutz wrote:
Hmm, it occured to me that sauerkraut is used on a particular kind of
sandwich. Can't think of the name right now - it has corned beef,
sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing on rye bread. Maybe
invent a veg*nized version of it. Keep the rye bread and swiss (or use vegan
swiss if you prefer), add a thick slice of tomato, and dress it with hummus.
Something like that...

Reuben...

Your welcome.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:01 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
C. James Strutz

On 2005-11-02, C. James Strutz wrote:
Hmm, it occured to me that sauerkraut is used on a particular kind of
sandwich. Can't think of the name right now - it has corned beef,
sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing on rye bread.
Maybe
invent a veg*nized version of it. Keep the rye bread and swiss (or use
vegan
swiss if you prefer), add a thick slice of tomato, and dress it with
hummus.
Something like that...

Reuben...

Your welcome.

Yes, yes, yes....thank you!! :^)

Sauerkraut George Shirley Preserving 6 01-04-2010 05:28 PM
Sauerkraut The Cook Preserving 3 20-06-2008 01:16 PM
Sauerkraut tetchy Recipes (moderated) 0 08-10-2006 06:16 PM
sauerkraut Dawn Preserving 10 14-09-2004 04:36 PM