Dawn

Default sauerkraut

I've learned a great deal from all of you--thank you. My problem: I am
making sauerkraut from the first time. The liquid level was not completely
covering all the cabbage and the section out of the liquid has a
tannish/brown color to it. If I remove the discolored cabbage and add some
salted water to cover the rest, can I salvage the batch without poisoning
myself?

Ramset

From the information given, the answer is yes, no problem...

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:47:55 -0700, "Dawn" >
wrote:

>I've learned a great deal from all of you--thank you. My problem: I am
>making sauerkraut from the first time. The liquid level was not completely
>covering all the cabbage and the section out of the liquid has a
>tannish/brown color to it. If I remove the discolored cabbage and add some
>salted water to cover the rest, can I salvage the batch without poisoning
>myself?

Ramset

From the information given, the answer is yes, no problem...

wrote:

>I've learned a great deal from all of you--thank you. My problem: I am
>making sauerkraut from the first time. The liquid level was not completely
>covering all the cabbage and the section out of the liquid has a
>tannish/brown color to it. If I remove the discolored cabbage and add some
>salted water to cover the rest, can I salvage the batch without poisoning
>myself?

Allan Matthews

wrote:

>I've learned a great deal from all of you--thank you. My problem: I am
>making sauerkraut from the first time. The liquid level was not completely
>covering all the cabbage and the section out of the liquid has a
>tannish/brown color to it. If I remove the discolored cabbage and add some
>salted water to cover the rest, can I salvage the batch without poisoning
>myself?

To prevent this from happening, have the saurkraut in a large croc or
food grade fifty pound pail. Pack it down, then place a plastic
garbage bag in the pail and pour a few quarts of water into the bag.
It will seal the top of the kraut.

Allan Matthews

wrote:

>I've learned a great deal from all of you--thank you. My problem: I am
>making sauerkraut from the first time. The liquid level was not completely
>covering all the cabbage and the section out of the liquid has a
>tannish/brown color to it. If I remove the discolored cabbage and add some
>salted water to cover the rest, can I salvage the batch without poisoning
>myself?

To prevent this from happening, have the saurkraut in a large croc or
food grade fifty pound pail. Pack it down, then place a plastic
garbage bag in the pail and pour a few quarts of water into the bag.
It will seal the top of the kraut.

Ramset

A few tips that may be of better help in future. As a first time maker
you obviously don't want or need a large crock or bucket to make it
in.
The method I use is simply a glass jar 2 litre (1/2 gallon) - this
size is suitable for a small to mediun sized cabbage if and when I
decide to do more I just use 2 or more jars... If you salt all the
cabbage in a large bowl and leave for an hour or two, mixing a few
times, it will soften and pack down better in the jar/s... suprising
how much you can get in.
I then use disc/s that I cut from the bottom of plastic icecream
containers that fit the inside diametre of the jar/s... Placing the
disc on top of the kraut and pressing down it is generally covered by
the extracted juice, if not I add a small amount of brine to cover it
by about 1/2 an inch...
I then use a glass jar or drinking glass of suitable size (could be a
shot glass or baby food jar) or depending on air space maybe a large
beer glass... Must be right side up... ie. open end at the top...
Screw the top on firm but not tight and as long as the inside glass
keeps the kraut covered alls well. Leakage will more than likely occur
so make sure you place the lot in a soup bowl or the like to catch any
overflow.. This will settle over time and if it settles below the
kraut you do not need to recover it as the lactic acid is still
present.
Do not be tempted to use more salt than needed 1-2 rounded teaspoons-
3 at most..
If you use metal lids they will rust, if not the first time then in
the first few times and will taint the kraut, in preference find jars
with plastic lids... If you can't find a larger jar opt for a few
smaller ones...
No need to cut cabbage as fine as commercial brands... rough enough
is good enough... just takes a little longer..
If you like kraut along with chilis and garlic you would love Kimchi..
similar method.... magic stuff.. google it to find out... no need
for the more exotic types... basic chinese cabbage, chili and garlic
works very well
Ramset

Whoops, just in case:
Some plastic lids contain cardboard, ie. instant coffee jars... remove
and discard for basic hygiene....
Ramset

Whoops, just in case:
Some plastic lids contain cardboard, ie. instant coffee jars... remove
and discard for basic hygiene....
Ramset

Getting tired, kimchi just wouldn't be kimchi without the ginger as
well...
Ramset

Getting tired, kimchi just wouldn't be kimchi without the ginger as
well...

Dawn

Thanks for the great detailed advice. I think I will start over and do it
using your suggestions. I don't want to worry each time I take a bite of
the sauerkraut. My chickens have been "helping me" in the garden and seem
to love the cabbage--I'll have to see how much they haven't gotten into yet.
Kimchi is something I will have to try too. Thanks again.

Sauerkraut George Shirley Preserving 6 01-04-2010 05:28 PM
Sauerkraut The Cook Preserving 3 20-06-2008 01:16 PM
Sauerkraut tetchy Recipes (moderated) 0 08-10-2006 06:16 PM
Sauerkraut Taemon Vegan 7 03-11-2005 02:01 PM