Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Preserving raw fish

Someone asked, in alt.food.sushi, if raw fish could be preserved in soy
sauce. What's the best way to preserve raw fish?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>On 09 Dec 2007 07:21:34 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:
>>

>>>Someone asked, in alt.food.sushi, if raw fish could be preserved in soy
>>>sauce. What's the best way to preserve raw fish?

>>So that it still tastes like raw fish?
>>
>>Salted and dried is the only way I know how. Most of the stuff I
>>eat is also fermented. But I can't see either being suitable for
>>use in sushi.

> I would agree. Definitely not suitable for sushi or sashimi. Since Musashi
> didn't chime in, I thought I'd ask here. I immediately thought of bacalao
> and pickled herring. I can't imagine what it would taste like being soaked
> in soy sauce! Maybe you use Korean aek jeot in your kimchee.

am I missing something? Freezing is one of the more common ways.

Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Someone asked, in alt.food.sushi, if raw fish could be preserved in soy
> sauce. What's the best way to preserve raw fish?

I freeze cleaned fresh fish, and thaw it when needed for sashimi.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Someone asked, in alt.food.sushi, if raw fish could be preserved in soy
> sauce. What's the best way to preserve raw fish?

Freezing.

While there will be some texture changes, freezing fish for home-made
sushi for 48 hours is advisable because it will kill any parasites or
worms present.

If you're freezing in bulk, then get ahold of some dry ice, and coat the
fillets with a thin layer of water before exposing them. This faster
freezing will lessen any textural changes.

Past freezing, and not for sushi use, but still a "raw" preparation
would be in kim chi/chee.

For salmon, you might want to consider gravlax (gravad lax), or smoking
(cold smoked for lox, hot smoked for smoked salmon).

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> So that it still tastes like raw fish?
>>>
>>> Salted and dried is the only way I know how. Most of the stuff I
>>> eat is also fermented. But I can't see either being suitable for
>>> use in sushi.

>> I would agree. Definitely not suitable for sushi or sashimi. Since
>> Musashi
>> didn't chime in, I thought I'd ask here. I immediately thought of bacalao
>> and pickled herring. I can't imagine what it would taste like being
>> soaked
>> in soy sauce! Maybe you use Korean aek jeot in your kimchee.
>>

> am I missing something? Freezing is one of the more common ways.
>
> Ellen

Sashimi is always made with fresh fish to my knowledge. I believe that
is the gist of what they're referring to, sushi and sashimi.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 14:24:23 -0600, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> ellen wickberg wrote:

>>> am I missing something? Freezing is one of the more common ways.

> There you go again, pointing out the obvious :-)
>
>> Sashimi is always made with fresh fish to my knowledge. I believe that
>> is the gist of what they're referring to, sushi and sashimi.

> All raw fish served as sashimi or in sushi must be frozen first
> to kill any parasites. The FDA has very precise guidelines about
> how long fish needs to be frozen for safety reasons.
>
> Yes - that sushi from the sushi bar that cost you $50 was from
> frozen, not fresh, fish.
>
> -sw

Not for me friend. I don't eat raw fish or raw meat. And I realized my
statement was incorrect as soon as I sent it. I just watched a
documentary the other day about the frozen fish being shipped into
Japan. Oh well, most everyone screws up occasionally.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In a worst case scenario, freezing would be dependent on electricity.

One of my favorite delicacies are Roll-Em-Ups, which are fish fillets
wrapped around some pickle or an olive and soaked in a vinegar and spice
mixture. Definitely an acquired taste. Bought off the shelf and not opened,
they have a good shelf life. I make my own, buying fish fillets already in
vinegar juice, and wrapping them around my favorite, sweet gherkin pickles,
held together with a toothpick. Since I open the sealed jar, I have to
refrigerate, but I keep 2 jars of unopened Roll-Em-Ups in my survival food
for a special treat on a special occasion. I rotate them every year.

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>>So that it still tastes like raw fish?
>>>
>>>Salted and dried is the only way I know how. Most of the stuff I
>>>eat is also fermented. But I can't see either being suitable for
>>>use in sushi.

>> I would agree. Definitely not suitable for sushi or sashimi. Since
>> Musashi
>> didn't chime in, I thought I'd ask here. I immediately thought of bacalao
>> and pickled herring. I can't imagine what it would taste like being
>> soaked
>> in soy sauce! Maybe you use Korean aek jeot in your kimchee.
>>

> am I missing something? Freezing is one of the more common ways.
>
> Ellen

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > -sw

> Not for me friend. I don't eat raw fish or raw meat.

I pity you! Smoked steelhead and smoked salmon is one of the
few heavenly foods there is, along with chocolate and ice cream.

Ted

Posted to rec.food.preserving

ellen wickberg > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> [ . . . ]

> am I missing something? Freezing is one of the more common ways.

I'm with you!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Someone asked, in alt.food.sushi, if raw fish could be preserved in soy
> > sauce. What's the best way to preserve raw fish?

> Freezing.
>
> While there will be some texture changes, freezing fish for home-made
> sushi for 48 hours is advisable because it will kill any parasites or
> worms present.
>
> If you're freezing in bulk, then get ahold of some dry ice, and coat the
> fillets with a thin layer of water before exposing them. This faster
> freezing will lessen any textural changes.
>
> Past freezing, and not for sushi use, but still a "raw" preparation
> would be in kim chi/chee.
>
> For salmon, you might want to consider gravlax (gravad lax), or smoking
> (cold smoked for lox, hot smoked for smoked salmon).

Ah. Gravlax, indeed!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> -sw

>> Not for me friend. I don't eat raw fish or raw meat.

> I pity you! Smoked steelhead and smoked salmon is one of the
> few heavenly foods there is, along with chocolate and ice cream.
>
> Ted

Neither of which is found on the Gulf Coast. I've fished in Alaska and
the PNW on occasion and always ate the steelhead and the salmon grilled.
Fish here, fresh from the ocean, usually have parasites including worms.
There is a restaurant nearby that serves sushi and sashimi but I still
don't eat them. Never really cared for smoked salmon but it's all a
matter of taste and choice Ted.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>> >
>> > -sw

>> Not for me friend. I don't eat raw fish or raw meat.

> I pity you! Smoked steelhead and smoked salmon is one of the
> few heavenly foods there is, along with chocolate and ice cream.

I wouldn't mix them.

B/

Forget Eating Fish - The least likely of all places in the world to find an uncontaminated fish is... Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 0 11-02-2012 12:23 AM
not quite preserving songbird Preserving 0 20-10-2011 06:05 PM
More preserving The Cook Preserving 0 27-07-2008 07:18 PM
Update on fish-free fish and chips MrFalafel Vegan 3 27-02-2008 01:14 PM
Preserving jam [email protected] General Cooking 10 28-11-2005 12:19 PM