Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Too many onions

I have a great crop of onions and not enough cool space to store them,
they've filled up my spare fridge and I have maybe another 30-40
pounds sitting in the very hot garage. Is freezing them worth using up
space in the freezer? They're not exactly expensive at the store, so
I'm not sure that's worth the effort. How about freezing or canning
french onion soup? Other recipes to freeze or can? I've looked through
my books...we don't eat onion relish (been there tried that) and the
only other thing that looks good is red onion marmalade, but the
potential for using up a lot of onions there is limited.

Cyndi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

cyndi in the desert wrote:
> I have a great crop of onions and not enough cool space to store them,
> they've filled up my spare fridge and I have maybe another 30-40
> pounds sitting in the very hot garage. Is freezing them worth using up
> space in the freezer? They're not exactly expensive at the store, so
> I'm not sure that's worth the effort. How about freezing or canning
> french onion soup? Other recipes to freeze or can? I've looked through
> my books...we don't eat onion relish (been there tried that) and the
> only other thing that looks good is red onion marmalade, but the
> potential for using up a lot of onions there is limited.
>
> Cyndi

Melba posted awhile back that she sliced up a large number of onions and
caramelized them low and slow in a crock pot till they were quite dark
brown (not burnt!) She used them for what sounded like a wonderful
onion soup. (You might try googling rec.food.cooking for the post.)

I'd try caramelizing lots of them and freezing in one or two cup batches
as well as smaller amts. in ice cube trays for adding to various braised
dishes like beef stew, veg. beef soup, pot roasts, etc.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 19, 6:39 pm, Puester > wrote:
> cyndi in the desert wrote:
>
> > I have a great crop of onions and not enough cool space to store them,
> > they've filled up my spare fridge and I have maybe another 30-40
> > pounds sitting in the very hot garage. Is freezing them worth using up
> > space in the freezer? They're not exactly expensive at the store, so
> > I'm not sure that's worth the effort. How about freezing or canning
> > french onion soup? Other recipes to freeze or can? I've looked through
> > my books...we don't eat onion relish (been there tried that) and the
> > only other thing that looks good is red onion marmalade, but the
> > potential for using up a lot of onions there is limited.

> > Cyndi

> Melba posted awhile back that she sliced up a large number of onions and
> caramelized them low and slow in a crock pot till they were quite dark
> brown (not burnt!) She used them for what sounded like a wonderful
> onion soup. (You might try googling rec.food.cooking for the post.)
>
> I'd try caramelizing lots of them and freezing in one or two cup batches
> as well as smaller amts. in ice cube trays for adding to various braised
> dishes like beef stew, veg. beef soup, pot roasts, etc.
>
> gloria p

I have a large dehydrator machine and have dried sliced onions in
that. --Warning: run the machine on the porch, outside -- The
dried results are then just stored in air-tight bags, and used later
for soups, stews, etc. Dehydrated things are convenient, just grab a
handful out of the bag to add to whatever is cooking.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 19, 6:39 pm, Puester > wrote:
>> cyndi in the desert wrote:
>>
>> > I have a great crop of onions and not enough cool space to store them,
>> > (clipped)
>> > Cyndi

>> Melba posted awhile back that she sliced up a large number of onions and
>> caramelized them low and slow in a crock pot till they were quite dark
>> brown (not burnt!) She used them for what sounded like a wonderful
>> onion soup. (You might try googling rec.food.cooking for the post.)
>>
>> I'd try caramelizing lots of them and freezing in one or two cup batches
>> as well as smaller amts. in ice cube trays for adding to various braised
>> dishes like beef stew, veg. beef soup, pot roasts, etc.
>> gloria p

> I have a large dehydrator machine and have dried sliced onions in
> that. --Warning: run the machine on the porch, outside -- The
> dried results are then just stored in air-tight bags, and used later
> for soups, stews, etc. (clipped)

I like the dehydrated onions, too, and ditto on the porch or patio, they
really smell nasty, but taste delicioso. I like to dry them to a crisp. One
of the market farmers makes his own onion salt using the dehydrated onions &
regular salt. I think he does some other combinations, too.
I got an idear?! How about dehydrated caramelized onions. Sounds good to me.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> I got an idear?! How about dehydrated caramelized onions. Sounds good to me.
> Edrena

Wow! Talk about intense!!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article .com>,
cyndi in the desert > wrote:

> I have a great crop of onions and not enough cool space to store them,
> they've filled up my spare fridge and I have maybe another 30-40
> pounds sitting in the very hot garage. Is freezing them worth using up
> space in the freezer? They're not exactly expensive at the store, so
> I'm not sure that's worth the effort. How about freezing or canning
> french onion soup? Other recipes to freeze or can? I've looked through
> my books...we don't eat onion relish (been there tried that) and the
> only other thing that looks good is red onion marmalade, but the
> potential for using up a lot of onions there is limited.
>
> Cyndi

If freezer space is at a premium I don't think I'd fill it with chopped
onions. I don't think I'd want more than maybe a gallon bag. JMO.

I've frozen french onion soup with good success. I caramelize the
onions in a crock pot. I'll post the recipe to rec.food.cooking. Use
them to make soup and freeze the soup. Good luck.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 20, 5:18 am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article .com>,
> cyndi in the desert > wrote:
>
> > I have a great crop of onions and not enough cool space to store them,
> > they've filled up my spare fridge and I have maybe another 30-40
> > pounds sitting in the very hot garage. Is freezing them worth using up
> > space in the freezer? They're not exactly expensive at the store, so
> > I'm not sure that's worth the effort. How about freezing or canning
> > french onion soup? Other recipes to freeze or can? I've looked through
> > my books...we don't eat onion relish (been there tried that) and the
> > only other thing that looks good is red onion marmalade, but the
> > potential for using up a lot of onions there is limited.

> > Cyndi

> If freezer space is at a premium I don't think I'd fill it with chopped
> onions. I don't think I'd want more than maybe a gallon bag. JMO.
>
> I've frozen french onion soup with good success. I caramelize the
> onions in a crock pot. I'll post the recipe to rec.food.cooking. Use
> them to make soup and freeze the soup. Good luck.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://www.jamlady.eboard.com- Fair baking

Thanks for the ideas. I can run the dehydrator in the garage, and I'll
look for the caramelized recipe. Freezing batches of those as well as
making soup sounds pretty good.

Cyndi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 19, 4:08?pm, cyndi in the desert >
wrote:
> I have a great crop of onions and not enough cool space to store them,
> they've filled up my spare fridge and I have maybe another 30-40
> pounds sitting in the very hot garage. Is freezing them worth using up
> space in the freezer? They're not exactly expensive at the store, so
> I'm not sure that's worth the effort. How about freezing or canning
> french onion soup? Other recipes to freeze or can? I've looked through
> my books...we don't eat onion relish (been there tried that) and the
> only other thing that looks good is red onion marmalade, but the
> potential for using up a lot of onions there is limited.
>
> Cyndi

Dehydrate them. I picked up a generic dehydrator for $4 and hve
dehydrated tons of onions, peppers and mushrooms. It works great.