Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's up with onions?

I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions. It started at
Winco. They didn't have a lot of onions in stock and I thought I had picked
two good ones. But by the time I got to my car, I could smell one so I knew
it wasn't good. It actually only had one bad spot inside, not visible from
the outside. I just trimmed that part off and used it. And yes, I know how
to look for a good onion.

Since then I have been pretty much only buying as needed but I do use a lot
of onions so like to keep at least a few extra. I will say that all of the
onions I got from Amazon Fresh have been good but they are often out of the
kind that I want.

I just had to toss out a sweet onion because it just went to mush. I can't
remember where I bought it but I know I only had it for a few days. Tried
to buy some more at Albertsons but most looked bad. I finally found a large
one that seemed to be okay. I hope so.

Over the years I have had problems here and there with an onion going bad or
sprouting but never to this extent! Could it be something in the way they
are grown? Too much water? Lack of water? I even moved one of my little
dehumidifiers on top of the bin, thinking that might help. It didn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2015 03:47:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions. It started at
>Winco. They didn't have a lot of onions in stock and I thought I had picked
>two good ones. But by the time I got to my car, I could smell one so I knew
>it wasn't good. It actually only had one bad spot inside, not visible from
>the outside. I just trimmed that part off and used it. And yes, I know how
>to look for a good onion.

Those may be very old onions. Although available year round, many
items like apples, potatoes, onions are stored for a long time after
the crop has been harvested.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 03:47:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions. It started
>>at
>>Winco. They didn't have a lot of onions in stock and I thought I had
>>picked
>>two good ones. But by the time I got to my car, I could smell one so I
>>knew
>>it wasn't good. It actually only had one bad spot inside, not visible
>>from
>>the outside. I just trimmed that part off and used it. And yes, I know
>>how
>>to look for a good onion.
>>

> Those may be very old onions. Although available year round, many
> items like apples, potatoes, onions are stored for a long time after
> the crop has been harvested.

Yes. I just figured since it is nearly June, we'd be getting a new crop. I
guess not. And most of the stores I have checked have a very low stock of
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2015 6:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.

You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
each, not a bag full.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:30:15 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/30/2015 6:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.

>You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
>problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
>I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
>least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
>each, not a bag full.

I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
fridge. They keep for a long, long time.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2015 10:14 AM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:30:15 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/30/2015 6:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.

>> You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
>> problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
>> I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
>> least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
>> each, not a bag full.

> I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
> fridge. They keep for a long, long time.
>
> Doris

I've found if I store them in a bag in the fridge they do tend to mold.
I store them in a cool dry bin in the pantry. Once cut, they do go
into the fridge, wrapped in plastic.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:17:03 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I've found if I store them in a bag in the fridge they do tend to mold.

Same with garlic.

> I store them in a cool dry bin in the pantry.

Likewise with the provisio that there should be as little exposure to
light as possible.

> Once cut, they do go into the fridge, wrapped in plastic.

We buy ours at the weekly outdoor market. That way I can choose the
size I want and avoid that problem.

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 30 May 2015 03:47:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions. It started
> >>at
> >>Winco. They didn't have a lot of onions in stock and I thought I had
> >>picked
> >>two good ones. But by the time I got to my car, I could smell one so I
> >>knew
> >>it wasn't good. It actually only had one bad spot inside, not visible
> >>from
> >>the outside. I just trimmed that part off and used it. And yes, I know
> >>how
> >>to look for a good onion.
> >>

> > Those may be very old onions. Although available year round, many
> > items like apples, potatoes, onions are stored for a long time after
> > the crop has been harvested.

> Yes. I just figured since it is nearly June, we'd be getting a new crop. I
> guess not. And most of the stores I have checked have a very low stock of
> them.

Onions and carrots are a spring cool weather crop. They shouldn't be
old now unless they are trying to offload last years crop. If you get
a few bad onions in a 3lb bag, don't discount them. Next time all will
probably be fine. I get bad onions occasionally but not often at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/30/2015 6:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.

> You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
> problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
> I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
> least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
> each, not a bag full.
>
> Jill

I use lots of onions. If a recipe calls for one, I'll use 2-3. I buy
them by the 3lb bag when they (often) go on sale for 2-2.50. Rarely a
bad one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 9:17:06 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> >> When
> >> I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
> >> least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
> >> each, not a bag full.
> >>

> Jill

I confess to buying frozen chopped onions. About the only
time I need a whole onion is for a hamburger or a red one
cucumber salad. 95% of my recipes call for chopped onions
and the frozen bags are perfect for me. They're 12 ounce
bags and sometimes I divide the bag repackage them into
Food Saver bags. Works great for me.

This Kroger is having their bagged frozen vegetables on sale
for 10 for $10. I got 5 chopped onions and 5 vegetable soup
mix. (Also had a digital coupons to get one bag free.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:14:30 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:30:15 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> >On 5/30/2015 6:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.

> >You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
> >problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
> >I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
> >least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
> >each, not a bag full.

> I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
> fridge. They keep for a long, long time.

I just keep mine in the fruit bowl on the counter, mainly because I
use mine up fast I've never thought about long term refrigerated
storage. I wouldn't buy so many at once if I didn't use them up so
quickly. That said, one of the last that I used showed signs of age.
The core seemed to be on the verge of drying out. It wasn't unusable,
just weird looking. Julie probably would have thrown it out, but I
didn't.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I store them in a cool dry bin in the pantry. Once cut, they do go
> into the fridge, wrapped in plastic.

Ditto, except I don't have a pantry. I used to keep them in a drawer,
but it's filled with dried beans and pasta now, so they're out on the
counter.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:47:40 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Onions and carrots are a spring cool weather crop. They shouldn't be
>old now unless they are trying to offload last years crop. If you get
>a few bad onions in a 3lb bag, don't discount them. Next time all will
>probably be fine. I get bad onions occasionally but not often at all.

Here in the Intermountain West, onions are planted in the spring and
take at least 100 days of full sun to mature. Most often I will see
the onions curing in rows on the farm in the fall. Then they are
bagged and sold and will appear fresh at the supermarket in September
or October. Last year's crop is what is in the supermarket now and
those onion bulbs are ready to sprout.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2015 10:51 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 5/30/2015 6:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.

>> You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
>> problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
>> I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
>> least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
>> each, not a bag full.
>>
>> Jill

> I use lots of onions. If a recipe calls for one, I'll use 2-3. I buy
> them by the 3lb bag when they (often) go on sale for 2-2.50. Rarely a
> bad one.

Depends on what I'm cooking. When I say I buy them by the each that
doesn't mean I don't buy more than one at a time. One thing I don't do
is buy a bag of onions then complain about them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 30 May 2015 03:47:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Those may be very old onions. Although available year round, many
>> > items like apples, potatoes, onions are stored for a long time after
>> > the crop has been harvested.

>> Yes. I just figured since it is nearly June, we'd be getting a new crop.
>> guess not. And most of the stores I have checked have a very low stock
>> of
>> them.

> Onions and carrots are a spring cool weather crop. They shouldn't be
> old now unless they are trying to offload last years crop. If you get
> a few bad onions in a 3lb bag, don't discount them. Next time all will
> probably be fine. I get bad onions occasionally but not often at all.

The only bagged onions I have gotten were those from Amazon. And I only got
those because they didn't have individual ones for sale. I have only been
buying individual ones. Years ago I bought bagged with no problems but in
recent years I have found rotten ones in the bag so I quit buying them that
way unless I need a lot at once and I see a really good price. In that case
I don't mind tossing a few out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:47:40 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

>>Onions and carrots are a spring cool weather crop. They shouldn't be
>>old now unless they are trying to offload last years crop. If you get
>>a few bad onions in a 3lb bag, don't discount them. Next time all will
>>probably be fine. I get bad onions occasionally but not often at all.

> Here in the Intermountain West, onions are planted in the spring and
> take at least 100 days of full sun to mature. Most often I will see
> the onions curing in rows on the farm in the fall. Then they are
> bagged and sold and will appear fresh at the supermarket in September
> or October. Last year's crop is what is in the supermarket now and
> those onion bulbs are ready to sprout.
> Janet US

I remember using my own onions that I grew for a Gordon Ramsey potato dish
on Easter! I had planted Walla Walla sweets and due to freak hot weather
early on, they bolted. So I pulled them up. The bulbs were small, but
tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/30/2015 6:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.

> You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
> problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When I
> have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
> least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the each,
> not a bag full.

I hardly think this is a unique problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:30:15 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 5/30/2015 6:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.

>>You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
>>problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
>>I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
>>least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
>>each, not a bag full.

> I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
> fridge. They keep for a long, long time.

But I buy all kinds of onions. I need different ones for different things.
If I bought that many of each and put them in the fridge, there would be no
room for other produce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:17:03 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I've found if I store them in a bag in the fridge they do tend to mold.

> Same with garlic.
>
>> I store them in a cool dry bin in the pantry.

> Likewise with the provisio that there should be as little exposure to
> light as possible.
>
>> Once cut, they do go into the fridge, wrapped in plastic.

> We buy ours at the weekly outdoor market. That way I can choose the
> size I want and avoid that problem.

We have no markets like that this time of year. And when I have been to
them, the prices were bad and the produce not so good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:14:30 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:30:15 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
>> >problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
>> >I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
>> >least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
>> >each, not a bag full.

>> I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
>> fridge. They keep for a long, long time.
>>

> I just keep mine in the fruit bowl on the counter, mainly because I
> use mine up fast I've never thought about long term refrigerated
> storage. I wouldn't buy so many at once if I didn't use them up so
> quickly. That said, one of the last that I used showed signs of age.
> The core seemed to be on the verge of drying out. It wasn't unusable,
> just weird looking. Julie probably would have thrown it out, but I
> didn't.

I had to give up the fruit bowl. Kept getting fruit flies and the fruit
would just rot quickly. I wouldn't necessarily throw out an old onion. If
I was going to be cooking with it, I would just cut off the bad parts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.
>
>I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
>fridge. They keep for a long, long time.

Like any other produce buy what's in season. Right now all the
markets around here (NY) are featuring Vidalia onions, the market in
town had 3 pound bags for $3.99 BOGO, that's 6 pounds for $4. I
bought the two bags... excellent... very sweet mild onions, so good I
sliced a whole onion for a tuna salad n' romaine sandwich and whatever
didn't fit or slipped out I simply ate plain, DEE-Licious! Vidalias
are wonderful, won't even give you bad breath... gonna go into town
this evening to buy diesel and buy six more pounds before the BOGO
sale ends... tomorrow starts the new sale items... they will have
whole boneless pork loins at $1.99/lb. The thing is you need to
introduce yourself to the store's department managers, especiallay
meats adn produce. When the Tops Market in town firt opened they had
no oriental vegetables, I had a talk with the produce manager and now
they have a section devoted to the few basic orientals I suggested;
ginger root, bok choy, napa cabbage, fresh bean sprouts, daikon radish
and snow peas. There's not a big oriental population around here,
practically non existant, but my suggestion went over well. I
appreciate that everything in the produce section is very fresh and I
compliment them, I think it's important to express ones satisfaction,
most complain (Bove) but never suggest improvements or give kudos.
Since I live here and mostly shop here it's to my benefit to make
positive cxomments to the storekeepers. I suspect Bove is as negative
to the store keepers where she lives as she is here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2015 12:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions. It
> started at Winco. They didn't have a lot of onions in stock and I
> thought I had picked two good ones. But by the time I got to my car, I
> could smell one so I knew it wasn't good. It actually only had one bad
> spot inside, not visible from the outside. I just trimmed that part off
> and used it. And yes, I know how to look for a good onion.
>
> Since then I have been pretty much only buying as needed but I do use a
> lot of onions so like to keep at least a few extra. I will say that all
> of the onions I got from Amazon Fresh have been good but they are often
> out of the kind that I want.
>
> I just had to toss out a sweet onion because it just went to mush. I
> can't remember where I bought it but I know I only had it for a few
> days. Tried to buy some more at Albertsons but most looked bad. I
> finally found a large one that seemed to be okay. I hope so.
>
> Over the years I have had problems here and there with an onion going
> bad or sprouting but never to this extent! Could it be something in the
> way they are grown? Too much water? Lack of water? I even moved one
> of my little dehumidifiers on top of the bin, thinking that might help.
> It didn't.

It's certainly a bummer to cut open an onion and find it spoiled. The
onions I have don't have the papery stuff on the outside. I don't know
why they don't but it makes picking out a good one a breeze.

Caramelized onion pizza. I had one the other night and the onions were
fantastic. I've had caramelized onions before but these were different.
My guess is that it's because it was cooked with olive oil instead of
butter.

I was leaving for work this morning and had a few minutes to make a
dough. Everything was mixed in a ZipLoc bag and it took only 5 minutes.
I just left the bag on the counter to ripen. Tonight I'll cook the pizza
in our toaster oven. It's gonna be great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 12:31:32 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/30/2015 10:51 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> You have unique troubles in your little neck of the woods. I never have
> >> problems buying onions. I buy them from local growers, in season. When
> >> I have to buy them from the grocery store I can count on them lasting at
> >> least a week. It depends on how you store them. I buy them by the
> >> each, not a bag full.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > I use lots of onions. If a recipe calls for one, I'll use 2-3. I buy
> > them by the 3lb bag when they (often) go on sale for 2-2.50. Rarely a
> > bad one.
> >

> Depends on what I'm cooking. When I say I buy them by the each that
> doesn't mean I don't buy more than one at a time. One thing I don't do
> is buy a bag of onions then complain about them.
>
> Jill

I was in grocery store management for years. If we had Julie as a
customer, I would have warned all the dep't heads of what to expect
so most could go for coffee breaks while she was foraging.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-05-30 4:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.
>>
>> I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
>> fridge. They keep for a long, long time.

> Like any other produce buy what's in season. Right now all the
> markets around here (NY) are featuring Vidalia onions, the market in
> town had 3 pound bags for $3.99 BOGO, that's 6 pounds for $4.

Math was never my best subject at school, but I thought that a 3 lb bag
of onions for $3.99 would be almost the same as 3 lb for $4, not 6lb
for $4.

> bought the two bags... excellent... very sweet mild onions, so good I
> sliced a whole onion for a tuna salad n' romaine sandwich and whatever
> didn't fit or slipped out I simply ate plain, DEE-Licious! Vidalias
> are wonderful, won't even give you bad breath... gonna go into town
> this evening to buy diesel and buy six more pounds before the BOGO
> sale ends... tomorrow starts the new sale items... they will have
> whole boneless pork loins at $1.99/lb. The thing is you need to
> introduce yourself to the store's department managers, especiallay
> meats adn produce. When the Tops Market in town firt opened they had
> no oriental vegetables, I had a talk with the produce manager and now
> they have a section devoted to the few basic orientals I suggested;
> ginger root, bok choy, napa cabbage, fresh bean sprouts, daikon radish
> and snow peas. There's not a big oriental population around here,
> practically non existant, but my suggestion went over well. I
> appreciate that everything in the produce section is very fresh and I
> compliment them, I think it's important to express ones satisfaction,
> most complain (Bove) but never suggest improvements or give kudos.
> Since I live here and mostly shop here it's to my benefit to make
> positive cxomments to the storekeepers. I suspect Bove is as negative
> to the store keepers where she lives as she is here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> I was leaving for work this morning and had a few minutes to make a dough.
> Everything was mixed in a ZipLoc bag and it took only 5 minutes. I just
> left the bag on the counter to ripen. Tonight I'll cook the pizza in our
> toaster oven. It's gonna be great!

Ace! What will you put on top?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2015 11:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
>> I was leaving for work this morning and had a few minutes to make a
>> dough.
>> Everything was mixed in a ZipLoc bag and it took only 5 minutes. I just
>> left the bag on the counter to ripen. Tonight I'll cook the pizza in our
>> toaster oven. It's gonna be great!

> Ace! What will you put on top?

It's just going to be onions caramelized in olive oil and some cheese.
The onions will be very deep brown. Maybe I'll have some anchovies or
canned smoked oysters on the side. Oh boy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/30/2015 11:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I was leaving for work this morning and had a few minutes to make a
>>> dough.
>>> Everything was mixed in a ZipLoc bag and it took only 5 minutes. I just
>>> left the bag on the counter to ripen. Tonight I'll cook the pizza in our
>>> toaster oven. It's gonna be great!

>> Ace! What will you put on top?
>>

> It's just going to be onions caramelized in olive oil and some cheese. The
> onions will be very deep brown. Maybe I'll have some anchovies or canned
> smoked oysters on the side. Oh boy!

Yummmmmmm. Post some to me)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2015 11:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Ace! What will you put on top?
>>>

>> It's just going to be onions caramelized in olive oil and some cheese.
>> The onions will be very deep brown. Maybe I'll have some anchovies or
>> canned smoked oysters on the side. Oh boy!

> Yummmmmmm. Post some to me)

I'd be happy to but my transporter is on the blink. That's what I get
for buying the cheap Chinese knockoff! OTOH, "cheap Chinese knockoff" is
my middle name. Hee hee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/05/2015 4:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's just going to be onions caramelized in olive oil and some cheese.
>>> The onions will be very deep brown. Maybe I'll have some anchovies or
>>> canned smoked oysters on the side. Oh boy!

>> Yummmmmmm. Post some to me)
>>

> I'd be happy to but my transporter is on the blink. That's what I get
> for buying the cheap Chinese knockoff! OTOH, "cheap Chinese knockoff" is
> my middle name. Hee hee.

Chances are that the onions came from China!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/30/2015 11:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> It's just going to be onions caramelized in olive oil and some cheese.
>>> The onions will be very deep brown. Maybe I'll have some anchovies or
>>> canned smoked oysters on the side. Oh boy!

>> Yummmmmmm. Post some to me)
>>

> I'd be happy to but my transporter is on the blink. That's what I get for
> buying the cheap Chinese knockoff! OTOH, "cheap Chinese knockoff" is my
> middle name. Hee hee.

Pah! Excuses excuses ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2015 6:29 PM, graham wrote:

>>> Yummmmmmm. Post some to me)
>>>

>> I'd be happy to but my transporter is on the blink. That's what I get
>> for buying the cheap Chinese knockoff! OTOH, "cheap Chinese knockoff" is
>> my middle name. Hee hee.

> Chances are that the onions came from China!
> Graham

Because gee, they can't be onions from Hawaii since they don't have
onion powder. dsi1 is really reaching on this one.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2015 3:47 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Opinicus" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:17:03 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've found if I store them in a bag in the fridge they do tend to mold.

>> Same with garlic.
>>
>>> I store them in a cool dry bin in the pantry.

>> Likewise with the provisio that there should be as little exposure to
>> light as possible.
>>
>>> Once cut, they do go into the fridge, wrapped in plastic.

>> We buy ours at the weekly outdoor market. That way I can choose the
>> size I want and avoid that problem.

> We have no markets like that this time of year. And when I have been to
> them, the prices were bad and the produce not so good.

Yeah, because nothing good ever happens in your corner of the world. <sigh>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2015 17:23:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-05-30 4:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > Doris Night wrote:
> >>
> >> Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.
> >>
> >> I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
> >> fridge. They keep for a long, long time.

> > Like any other produce buy what's in season. Right now all the
> > markets around here (NY) are featuring Vidalia onions, the market in
> > town had 3 pound bags for $3.99 BOGO, that's 6 pounds for $4.

> Math was never my best subject at school, but I thought that a 3 lb bag
> of onions for $3.99 would be almost the same as 3 lb for $4, not 6lb
> for $4.

3 + 3 = 6 - Buy one, Get one (free) for $4.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/30/2015 12:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions. It
>> started at Winco. They didn't have a lot of onions in stock and I
>> thought I had picked two good ones. But by the time I got to my car, I
>> could smell one so I knew it wasn't good. It actually only had one bad
>> spot inside, not visible from the outside. I just trimmed that part off
>> and used it. And yes, I know how to look for a good onion.
>>
>> Since then I have been pretty much only buying as needed but I do use a
>> lot of onions so like to keep at least a few extra. I will say that all
>> of the onions I got from Amazon Fresh have been good but they are often
>> out of the kind that I want.
>>
>> I just had to toss out a sweet onion because it just went to mush. I
>> can't remember where I bought it but I know I only had it for a few
>> days. Tried to buy some more at Albertsons but most looked bad. I
>> finally found a large one that seemed to be okay. I hope so.
>>
>> Over the years I have had problems here and there with an onion going
>> bad or sprouting but never to this extent! Could it be something in the
>> way they are grown? Too much water? Lack of water? I even moved one
>> of my little dehumidifiers on top of the bin, thinking that might help.
>> It didn't.

> It's certainly a bummer to cut open an onion and find it spoiled. The
> onions I have don't have the papery stuff on the outside. I don't know why
> they don't but it makes picking out a good one a breeze.

Used to be that you could buy onions two ways and now some stores are doing
that again. Either not refrigerated with the papery skin on, or cleaned and
refrigerated. My dad always told me to buy the cleaned, refrigerated ones
because you didn't have to clean them and they were always good. But they
cost a lot more money. I would buy those if he told me to bring an onion
over for a BBQ or some such thing. But I rarely ever bought them for home
use. I wonder if people started complaining or something because I now see
them again. Only the white and red though. No others.

> Caramelized onion pizza. I had one the other night and the onions were
> fantastic. I've had caramelized onions before but these were different. My
> guess is that it's because it was cooked with olive oil instead of butter.

I cook mine in olive oil and never add sugar. I was shocked to see recipes
that add sugar. Yeah, they'll get dark faster but I prefer the natural
flavor.

> I was leaving for work this morning and had a few minutes to make a dough.
> Everything was mixed in a ZipLoc bag and it took only 5 minutes. I just
> left the bag on the counter to ripen. Tonight I'll cook the pizza in our
> toaster oven. It's gonna be great!

I loved the pizza dough that I made the other day. But nobody else did. I
guess they don't like whole wheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions. It
> started at Winco. They didn't have a lot of onions in stock and I
> thought I had picked two good ones. But by the time I got to my car,
> I could smell one so I knew it wasn't good. It actually only had one
> bad spot inside, not visible from the outside. I just trimmed that
> part off and used it. And yes, I know how to look for a good onion.
>
> Since then I have been pretty much only buying as needed but I do use
> a lot of onions so like to keep at least a few extra. I will say
> that all of the onions I got from Amazon Fresh have been good but
> they are often out of the kind that I want.
>
> I just had to toss out a sweet onion because it just went to mush. I
> can't remember where I bought it but I know I only had it for a few
> days. Tried to buy some more at Albertsons but most looked bad. I
> finally found a large one that seemed to be okay. I hope so.
>
> Over the years I have had problems here and there with an onion going
> bad or sprouting but never to this extent! Could it be something in
> the way they are grown? Too much water? Lack of water? I even
> moved one of my little dehumidifiers on top of the bin, thinking that
> might help. It didn't.

Julie, if you are buying organic, that may be the problem. Also you
are a bit out of season for some types so they are older when you get
them. Wally world produce tends to be last few days of sale worthy (at
least here). They are cheaper for a reason. Their stuff doesn't last
as long.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 30 May 2015 03:47:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions. It
> > > started at Winco. They didn't have a lot of onions in stock and
> > > I thought I had picked two good ones. But by the time I got to
> > > my car, I could smell one so I knew it wasn't good. It actually
> > > only had one bad spot inside, not visible from the outside. I
> > > just trimmed that part off and used it. And yes, I know how to
> > > look for a good onion.
> > >

> > Those may be very old onions. Although available year round, many
> > items like apples, potatoes, onions are stored for a long time after
> > the crop has been harvested.

> Yes. I just figured since it is nearly June, we'd be getting a new
> crop. I guess not. And most of the stores I have checked have a
> very low stock of them.

Onions crop in late august.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2015-05-30 4:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Doris Night wrote:
>>>
>>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I have been having trouble now for weeks, buying good onions.
>>>
>>> I buy them by the 3 pound bag and keep them in the vegetable bin in my
>>> fridge. They keep for a long, long time.

>> Like any other produce buy what's in season. Right now all the
>> markets around here (NY) are featuring Vidalia onions, the market in
>> town had 3 pound bags for $3.99 BOGO, that's 6 pounds for $4.

> Math was never my best subject at school, but I thought that a 3 lb bag of
> onions for $3.99 would be almost the same as 3 lb for $4, not 6lb for
> $4.

You missed the BOGO. BOGO means "buy one, get one free". Also known as
B1G1F.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > > On Sat, 30 May 2015 03:47:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> > > Those may be very old onions. Although available year round, many
> > > items like apples, potatoes, onions are stored for a long time
> > > after the crop has been harvested.

> > Yes. I just figured since it is nearly June, we'd be getting a new
> > crop. I guess not. And most of the stores I have checked have a
> > very low stock of them.

> Onions and carrots are a spring cool weather crop. They shouldn't be
> old now unless they are trying to offload last years crop. If you get
> a few bad onions in a 3lb bag, don't discount them. Next time all will
> probably be fine. I get bad onions occasionally but not often at all.

Here they crop in late august (mostly). South of us, probably earlier
I guess.