Old 07-04-2005, 10:59 AM
White Monkey

Default Can I use the tops of sprouting onions as I would green onions?

Hi again folks,

I have some sprouting onions here, and have run out of green onions. I'll
pick some green onions up later, but would like to know if, in future, I can
snip the sprouts off the regular onions and use them as I would green
onions, and if so, do they taste similar?

Thanks,
Katrina

Old 07-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Katra

"White Monkey" wrote:

Hi again folks,

I have some sprouting onions here, and have run out of green onions. I'll
pick some green onions up later, but would like to know if, in future, I can
snip the sprouts off the regular onions and use them as I would green
onions, and if so, do they taste similar?

Thanks,
Katrina

I've personally never tried it, but the best way to be sure would be to
snip the top off of one and bite into it to taste.

Seriously. ;-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 07-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Seamus

I've done it. As far as the green part goes, it's tastier and more
tender than most stem onions. Just watch out that the bulb hasn't gone
bad - it will impart a rank overtone.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Dee Randall

"Seamus" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've done it. As far as the green part goes, it's tastier and more
tender than most stem onions. Just watch out that the bulb hasn't gone
bad - it will impart a rank overtone.

Geez, I just threw away some sprouted garlic bulbs, perhaps I could've used
the sprouts?
Dee

Old 07-04-2005, 03:07 PM
aem

Dee Randall wrote:

Geez, I just threw away some sprouted garlic bulbs, perhaps I
could've used the sprouts?
Dee

Got a kitchen window sill? Next time plant the bulbs in a pot and snip
the sprouts now and then for your scrambled eggs. -aem

Old 09-04-2005, 06:57 AM
White Monkey

Thanks everyone!
--Katrina

Old 09-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Rick & Cyndi

"White Monkey" wrote in message

Thanks everyone!
--Katrina

=====

You're welcome.

Green onions Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 90 31-08-2013 04:43 PM
Green onions? Corey Richardson[_2_] General Cooking 25 18-08-2008 05:48 PM
Carrot Salad With Orange, Green Olives, And Green Onions yankeegirL425 Recipes (moderated) 0 31-08-2005 04:15 AM
Green Onions ? General Cooking 14 27-11-2003 05:28 AM
Hepatitis from green onions bouncer General Cooking 88 23-11-2003 09:51 PM