Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
> > Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
> > Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
> > small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
> >

> > Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
> > (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water).

> Wot kinda detergent and fabric softener do you use???

Cheer liquid -- just a drop or two. No fabric softener -- you think I'm
nuts or somethin'? You dufus! LOL!

The pickles, btw, are vewwy good.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Puester > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
>> > Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
>> > Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
>> > small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
>> >

>> > Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
>> > (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water).

>> Wot kinda detergent and fabric softener do you use???

> Cheer liquid -- just a drop or two. No fabric softener -- you think I'm
> nuts or somethin'? You dufus! LOL!
>
> The pickles, btw, are vewwy good.
>>
>> This cracks me up every time you mention it.
>>
>> ;-)
>> gloria p

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

heeheeheee...

I picked up a small basket of mini cukes (22 total) at the grocery store
today (couldn't resist - they were fresh and at $4.99, I have no idea if
that was a good price - I just really wanted to make Barb's prize winning
pickles!!!), came home, and got ready to make Barb's B&B recipe...and...doh!
I've run out of cider vinegar without realizing it. So, the cukes are clean
(by hand - to few for the washing machine) and are in the frig...tomorrow
will pick up the vinegar and proceed....

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:
> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> Oh, and if I can figure out how to can my mother's spaghetti sauce, that
>> will be a bonus. The stuff takes a day and a half to cook, and she just
>> gave me the pot she's made it in all my life as a gift (because she
>> prefers another pot I gave her a few years ago). It's HUGE, so if I can
>> can the sauce instead of freezing it, that will make me a very happy
>> Serene.
>>

> Chances are pretty good that your Mom's spaghetti sauce recipe isn't acidic
> enough to BWB, so you may have to pressure can it. I pressure canned some
> sauce last year and really like the convenience of having it available for
> quick meals.

I plan to buy a pressure-canner with my next big contract check, so
I'll see about it then.

> Spaghetti sauce freezes nicley, so if you have the freezer space maybe you
> can freeze your mother's recipe.

Freezing is an option, but we have a very small freezer, and I love
not having to defrost (I don't have a microwave) in advance of just
tossing some room-temp sauce with hot pasta.

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Let the human mind loose. It must be loose. It will be loose.
Superstition and dogmatism cannot confine it." [John Adams]
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Kathi Jones wrote:

>> > Hey! y'know what's funny? If you Google Grip Tite jar lifter, the
>> > 3rd hit is Georges' post from May 24 when Barb was visiting!!! And
>> > after my limited research, George, you should put a hefty price tag
>> > on that thing-a-ma-jig , cuz it's an antique or something....as in,
>> > ther's no way Barb, or anyne else for that matter, is gonna get one
>> > new!!

>> > ...so, I start the bidding at $20 bucks!....;-P

> I believe I said a moment ago -- getcherown gig! LOL!
>> >
>> > Kathi
>> >

>> One sold on eBay for nine bucks this year. If I sold it to you I would
>> have to use one of those cheesy things they call a jar lifter. You have
>> to squeeze the handles together to grip the jar whereas the Grip Tite
>> does it by gravity. Besides that Barb would kill me just so she could
>> inherit the thing.
>>
>> George

> <bats eyelashes> Why, George Shirley!! How COULD you say such a thang?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Uh, well, he KNOWS you, maybe?
-ginny
who actually knows that if Barb wanted to kill George, she would force feed
him beets.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,
>>George Shirley > wrote:

>>I believe I said a moment ago -- getcherown gig! LOL!

>>>One sold on eBay for nine bucks this year. If I sold it to you I would
>>>have to use one of those cheesy things they call a jar lifter. You have
>>>to squeeze the handles together to grip the jar whereas the Grip Tite
>>>does it by gravity. Besides that Barb would kill me just so she could
>>>inherit the thing.
>>>
>>>George

>><bats eyelashes> Why, George Shirley!! How COULD you say such a thang?
>>--
>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
>>pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

> Uh, well, he KNOWS you, maybe?
> -ginny
> who actually knows that if Barb wanted to kill George, she would force feed
> him beets.

But, but, I LIKE beets.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Puester > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
>> > Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
>> > Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
>> > small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
>> >

>> > Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
>> > (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water).

>> Wot kinda detergent and fabric softener do you use???

> Cheer liquid -- just a drop or two. No fabric softener -- you think I'm
> nuts or somethin'? You dufus! LOL!
>
> The pickles, btw, are vewwy good.

And they taste so mountain fresh!

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>>I believe I said a moment ago -- getcherown gig! LOL!

>>><bats eyelashes> Why, George Shirley!! How COULD you say such a thang?
>>>--
>>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>>http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
>>>pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

>> Uh, well, he KNOWS you, maybe?
>> -ginny
>> who actually knows that if Barb wanted to kill George, she would force
>> feed him beets.
>>

> But, but, I LIKE beets.
>
> George

Not saying you don't, just that the way she abhors them, they would be her
weapon of choice....that and the 300 lbs of them she has left over from
trying to get another ribbon......sorta like burying someone alive....it's
not that the dirt itself is inherently bad, just mass quanitites in your
throat has a way of killing you. (VBG).
-ginny