Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP

I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.

I'm slightly annoyed with myself for buying mine from him because, 1) I
don't like the guy but didn't have time to peruse the whole place due to
time constraints, and 2) some sweet teens were selling theirs (more
perfectly sized for my used than what I bought) for $2 a box and $6 or
$8 would have gotten me at least as much as what I paid the guy I did
buy from. Oh, well. Maybe next week. . . . I'm thinking I'll put up
some half pint jars of them, too, for gifts. Then I won't have Rob's,
"Hey! Quit giving away my pickles!" LOL!

Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
(I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water). I'll
get them out and commence to slicing them and salting them down. They
will lie in sweet repose in a salty ice bath whilst I catch forty winks.

Weather is sheer perfection for what I need to do this afternoon.
Like Jorge says, life is good.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and