Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP

I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.

I'm slightly annoyed with myself for buying mine from him because, 1) I
don't like the guy but didn't have time to peruse the whole place due to
time constraints, and 2) some sweet teens were selling theirs (more
perfectly sized for my used than what I bought) for $2 a box and $6 or
$8 would have gotten me at least as much as what I paid the guy I did
buy from. Oh, well. Maybe next week. . . . I'm thinking I'll put up
some half pint jars of them, too, for gifts. Then I won't have Rob's,
"Hey! Quit giving away my pickles!" LOL!

Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
(I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water). I'll
get them out and commence to slicing them and salting them down. They
will lie in sweet repose in a salty ice bath whilst I catch forty winks.

Weather is sheer perfection for what I need to do this afternoon.
Like Jorge says, life is good.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP - Follow-up

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
> (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water). I'll
> get them out and commence to slicing them and salting them down. They
> will lie in sweet repose in a salty ice bath whilst I catch forty winks.

And now they are resting in salty ice. :-) Or maybe it's icy salt.
I've a 3-hour break while the salt draws moisture from the slices.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
> (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water).

Really? The washing machine? That's fascinating.

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is insufficiently
documented." -- kabdib on slashdot
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
> > (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water).

> Really? The washing machine? That's fascinating.
>
> Serene

Fascinating? Interesting, maybe, but fascinating, Serene? <grin>

I just posted a couple pics to my jamlady.eboard.com site (link below)
if you want to see. . . .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
>>> (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water).

>> Really? The washing machine? That's fascinating.
>>
>> Serene

> Fascinating? Interesting, maybe, but fascinating, Serene? <grin>

No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin'
ways. I can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine
admiration of the geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)

> I just posted a couple pics to my jamlady.eboard.com site (link below)
> if you want to see. . . .

Cool!

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

Discordianism: Where reality is a figment of your imagination

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:54:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
>Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
>Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
>small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
>
>I'm slightly annoyed with myself for buying mine from him because, 1) I
>don't like the guy but didn't have time to peruse the whole place due to
>time constraints, and 2) some sweet teens were selling theirs (more
>perfectly sized for my used than what I bought) for $2 a box and $6 or
>$8 would have gotten me at least as much as what I paid the guy I did
>buy from. Oh, well. Maybe next week. . . . I'm thinking I'll put up
>some half pint jars of them, too, for gifts. Then I won't have Rob's,
>"Hey! Quit giving away my pickles!" LOL!
>
>Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
>(I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water). I'll
>get them out and commence to slicing them and salting them down. They
>will lie in sweet repose in a salty ice bath whilst I catch forty winks.
>
>Weather is sheer perfection for what I need to do this afternoon.
>Like Jorge says, life is good.

Wish you were closer to me. I have cukes coming out my ears right
now. I have made hamburger dills, Kosher dills, bread & butter and
sweet pickles. I also have some cukes brining. And they are still
coming in. Guess I should send some over to the Ark and the next door
neighbor.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Serene wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Serene > wrote:

>>> Really? The washing machine? That's fascinating.
>>>
>>> Serene

>> Fascinating? Interesting, maybe, but fascinating, Serene? <grin>

> No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin' ways.
> I can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine admiration of
> the geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)
>
>> I just posted a couple pics to my jamlady.eboard.com site (link below)
>> if you want to see. . . .

> Cool!
>
> Serene

You preserve food as long as this bunch of overage geeks has and you
also will come up with some labor saving tricks. B-})

George, still looking for a Grip-Tite jar lifter for Barb. Guess I'll
have to will her the one I have.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:06:13 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Serene > wrote:

>>> Really? The washing machine? That's fascinating.
>>>
>>> Serene

>> Fascinating? Interesting, maybe, but fascinating, Serene? <grin>

>No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin'
>ways. I can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine
>admiration of the geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)
>
>> I just posted a couple pics to my jamlady.eboard.com site (link below)
>> if you want to see. . . .

>Cool!
>
>Serene

It's amazing what you can do with the washing machine. Best possible
way to clean a hugh batch of greens (Swiss chard, beet greens,
spinach, mustard greens, etc.) Takes a bit of cleaning out of little
bits and pieces of leaves, but still worth it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Serene > wrote:

> >> Really? The washing machine? That's fascinating.
> >>
> >> Serene

> > Fascinating? Interesting, maybe, but fascinating, Serene? <grin>

> No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin'
> ways. I can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine
> admiration of the geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)

> Serene

I don't pretend to claim it was an original idea; I've been doing it for
so long, though, that I don't remember where I first picked up the
notion.

Am about 20 minutes away from jarring them. Never did get my 40 winks.
Dangitall!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Serene wrote:

> > No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin' ways.
> > I can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine admiration of
> > the geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)

> > Serene

> You preserve food as long as this bunch of overage geeks has and you
> also will come up with some labor saving tricks. B-})

Hey, I think there are a couple young 'uns. Kathi's got little-ish
kids.

OK, so you're right. . . .

> George, still looking for a Grip-Tite jar lifter for Barb. Guess I'll
> have to will her the one I have.

Never mind the tape with my name on it, eh? Get one o' them engraving
tool thingies. . . .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> You preserve food as long as this bunch of overage geeks has and you
> also will come up with some labor saving tricks. B-})

I imagine so!

Last year (or was it the year before? time flies), I made some
citrus jelly, and y'all told me I did it wrong, and you were
probably right[1]. It didn't kill anyone, thank goodness, and since
then I've been using my lack of a canner as an excuse not to try
more stuff. But I'm determined to press on. My partner has plums
on his tree, and I'm going to make jam from them first. I will do
my homework and then give it a shot. Really, what I'm hoping is
that I eventually am able to make pickles and chutneys and hot sauce
and stuff -- we don't actually use all that much jam/jelly around
here, but condiments are another story.

Oh, and if I can figure out how to can my mother's spaghetti sauce,
that will be a bonus. The stuff takes a day and a half to cook, and
she just gave me the pot she's made it in all my life as a gift
(because she prefers another pot I gave her a few years ago). It's
HUGE, so if I can can the sauce instead of freezing it, that will
make me a very happy Serene.

Serene

[1] The Certo box said to just turn the jars upside-down; y'all told
me it should've gone in a boiling-water bath, so I put it all in the
fridge, and it was used up quickly enough that it wasn't an issue.

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so." [Mark Twain]
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> Serene wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Fascinating? Interesting, maybe, but fascinating, Serene? <grin>

>> No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin' ways. I
>> can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine admiration of the
>> geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)
>>
>>> I just posted a couple pics to my jamlady.eboard.com site (link below)
>>> if you want to see. . . .

>> Cool!
>>
>> Serene

> You preserve food as long as this bunch of overage geeks has and you also
> will come up with some labor saving tricks. B-})
>
> George, still looking for a Grip-Tite jar lifter for Barb. Guess I'll have
> to will her the one I have.

Mr. George and Mistress Barb:

.....what exactly is a Grip-Tite jar lifter??

Kathi,
obviously a novice, after all these years...

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Serene wrote:

>> > No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin' ways.
>> > I can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine admiration of
>> > the geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)

>> > Serene

>> You preserve food as long as this bunch of overage geeks has and you
>> also will come up with some labor saving tricks. B-})

> Hey, I think there are a couple young 'uns. Kathi's got little-ish
> kids.
>
> OK, so you're right. . . .
>
>> George, still looking for a Grip-Tite jar lifter for Barb. Guess I'll
>> have to will her the one I have.

> Never mind the tape with my name on it, eh? Get one o' them engraving
> tool thingies. . . .
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

yep, I got young'ens....and I hope one day they'll be interested in 'all
this' that I'm doing (I know Holly, 8, really likes my latest Cherry Jelly).
Y'know, neither of my grandmothers were big on preserving, which surprises
me, because they both lived a frugal life.

Anyway, one Grandmother still enjoys life to her fullest, at 92, and I give
her some of everything I put up every year, and she, in turn, shares it with
the folks that live with her in the 'retirement home' that she lives in.
I'm proud. She's proud. Life is good.

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> Serene wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Fascinating? Interesting, maybe, but fascinating, Serene? <grin>

>> No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin' ways. I
>> can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine admiration of the
>> geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)
>>
>>> I just posted a couple pics to my jamlady.eboard.com site (link below)
>>> if you want to see. . . .

>> Cool!
>>
>> Serene

> You preserve food as long as this bunch of overage geeks has and you also
> will come up with some labor saving tricks. B-})
>
> George, still looking for a Grip-Tite jar lifter for Barb. Guess I'll have
> to will her the one I have.

Hey! y'know what's funny? If you Google Grip Tite jar lifter, the 3rd hit
is Georges' post from May 24 when Barb was visiting!!! And after my limited
research, George, you should put a hefty price tag on that thing-a-ma-jig ,
cuz it's an antique or something....as in, ther's no way Barb, or anyne else
for that matter, is gonna get one new!!

....so, I start the bidding at $20 bucks!....;-P

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>Serene wrote:

>>>No, I'm totally enchanted with all you people and your preservin' ways. I
>>>can be a sarcastic ass sometimes, but this is genuine admiration of the
>>>geeky tricks y'all come up with. :-)

>>>Cool!
>>>
>>>Serene

>>You preserve food as long as this bunch of overage geeks has and you also
>>will come up with some labor saving tricks. B-})
>>
>>George, still looking for a Grip-Tite jar lifter for Barb. Guess I'll have
>>to will her the one I have.

> Hey! y'know what's funny? If you Google Grip Tite jar lifter, the 3rd hit
> is Georges' post from May 24 when Barb was visiting!!! And after my limited
> research, George, you should put a hefty price tag on that thing-a-ma-jig ,
> cuz it's an antique or something....as in, ther's no way Barb, or anyne else
> for that matter, is gonna get one new!!
>
> ...so, I start the bidding at $20 bucks!....;-P
>
> Kathi

One sold on eBay for nine bucks this year. If I sold it to you I would
have to use one of those cheesy things they call a jar lifter. You have
to squeeze the handles together to grip the jar whereas the Grip Tite
does it by gravity. Besides that Barb would kill me just so she could
inherit the thing.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>>You preserve food as long as this bunch of overage geeks has and you also
>>>will come up with some labor saving tricks. B-})
>>>
>>>George, still looking for a Grip-Tite jar lifter for Barb. Guess I'll
>>>have to will her the one I have.

>> Hey! y'know what's funny? If you Google Grip Tite jar lifter, the 3rd
>> hit is Georges' post from May 24 when Barb was visiting!!! And after my
>> limited research, George, you should put a hefty price tag on that
>> thing-a-ma-jig , cuz it's an antique or something....as in, ther's no way
>> Barb, or anyne else for that matter, is gonna get one new!!
>>
>> ...so, I start the bidding at $20 bucks!....;-P
>>
>> Kathi
>>

> One sold on eBay for nine bucks this year. If I sold it to you I would
> have to use one of those cheesy things they call a jar lifter. You have to
> squeeze the handles together to grip the jar whereas the Grip Tite does it
> by gravity. Besides that Barb would kill me just so she could inherit the
> thing.
>
> George

gravity...sounds magical...I'm so curious now......

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .

> > George, still looking for a Grip-Tite jar lifter for Barb. Guess I'll have
> > to will her the one I have.

> Hey! y'know what's funny? If you Google Grip Tite jar lifter, the 3rd hit
> is Georges' post from May 24 when Barb was visiting!!! And after my limited
> research, George, you should put a hefty price tag on that thing-a-ma-jig ,
> cuz it's an antique or something....as in, ther's no way Barb, or anyne else
> for that matter, is gonna get one new!!
>
> ...so, I start the bidding at $20 bucks!....;-P
>
> Kathi

Getcherown gig, Girlie!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Serene
>
> [1] The Certo box said to just turn the jars upside-down; y'all told
> me it should've gone in a boiling-water bath, so I put it all in the
> fridge, and it was used up quickly enough that it wasn't an issue.

Highly unlikely that it'll kill you -- and that's how commercial
producers do it -- but we tend to be conservative here and a couple
years ago there was *terrific* story from a woman who did it and things
went south on her -- AIR, she lost a lot of hard work in the interest of
saving maybe, what, 10-15 minutes?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP - Follow-up again

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
> > (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water). I'll
> > get them out and commence to slicing them and salting them down. They
> > will lie in sweet repose in a salty ice bath whilst I catch forty winks.

> And now they are resting in salty ice. :-) Or maybe it's icy salt.
> I've a 3-hour break while the salt draws moisture from the slices.

Seven pints of pickles completo. Burned my thumb taking excess water
from my BWB but it's not blistering. I'll live.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Kathi Jones wrote:

> > Hey! y'know what's funny? If you Google Grip Tite jar lifter, the
> > 3rd hit is Georges' post from May 24 when Barb was visiting!!! And
> > after my limited research, George, you should put a hefty price tag
> > on that thing-a-ma-jig , cuz it's an antique or something....as in,
> > ther's no way Barb, or anyne else for that matter, is gonna get one
> > new!!

> > ...so, I start the bidding at $20 bucks!....;-P

I believe I said a moment ago -- getcherown gig! LOL!

> > Kathi
> >

> One sold on eBay for nine bucks this year. If I sold it to you I would
> have to use one of those cheesy things they call a jar lifter. You have
> to squeeze the handles together to grip the jar whereas the Grip Tite
> does it by gravity. Besides that Barb would kill me just so she could
> inherit the thing.
>
> George

<bats eyelashes> Why, George Shirley!! How COULD you say such a thang?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> Serene
>>
>> [1] The Certo box said to just turn the jars upside-down; y'all told
>> me it should've gone in a boiling-water bath, so I put it all in the
>> fridge, and it was used up quickly enough that it wasn't an issue.

> Highly unlikely that it'll kill you -- and that's how commercial
> producers do it -- but we tend to be conservative here and a couple
> years ago there was *terrific* story from a woman who did it and things
> went south on her -- AIR, she lost a lot of hard work in the interest of
> saving maybe, what, 10-15 minutes?

Yeah, I'm totally on board with the
doing-things-as-safely-as-possible thing. I just didn't know any
better.

Serene, who strikes her family members as a bit of a food-safety
compulsive

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"The foolish reject what they see and not what they think; the
wise reject what they think and not what they see." [Huang Po]
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP - Follow-up again -- and for the last time, probably

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> Seven pints of pickles completo. Burned my thumb taking excess water
> from my BWB but it's not blistering. I'll live.

OK, three more pics added -- syrup, cooking jars, and finished product.
Kathi - I think I posted the recipe within the last couple weeks, about
the time Ann came on board.

BTW, I sliced the cukes with a food processor. If I fill my workbowl
full up, it's ezzackly two quarts. The recipe needs four quarts. I cut
the ends from the cukes before slicing. FWIW.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

epiphany wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:06:13 -0700, Serene >
> wrote:
>
>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Fascinating? Interesting, maybe, but fascinating, Serene? <grin>

> It's amazing what you can do with the washing machine. Best possible
> way to clean a hugh batch of greens (Swiss chard, beet greens,
> spinach, mustard greens, etc.) Takes a bit of cleaning out of little
> bits and pieces of leaves, but still worth it.

I've seen a recipe for a spam-and-octopus dish where you tenderized the
octopus by putting the machine on delicate cycle and running it dry.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
> epiphany wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:06:13 -0700, Serene >
>> wrote:

>> It's amazing what you can do with the washing machine. Best possible
>> way to clean a hugh batch of greens (Swiss chard, beet greens,
>> spinach, mustard greens, etc.) Takes a bit of cleaning out of little
>> bits and pieces of leaves, but still worth it.

> I've seen a recipe for a spam-and-octopus dish where you tenderized the
> octopus by putting the machine on delicate cycle and running it dry.
>
> B/

We always just smacked octopi a few times with a rock. Seemed to work.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> epiphany wrote:

>>> It's amazing what you can do with the washing machine. Best possible
>>> way to clean a hugh batch of greens (Swiss chard, beet greens,
>>> spinach, mustard greens, etc.) Takes a bit of cleaning out of little
>>> bits and pieces of leaves, but still worth it.

>> I've seen a recipe for a spam-and-octopus dish where you tenderized the
>> octopus by putting the machine on delicate cycle and running it dry.
>>
>> B/

well that's just the weirdest thing I've read this week...

> We always just smacked octopi a few times with a rock. Seemed to work.
>
> George

LOL!!!!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> I've seen a recipe for a spam-and-octopus dish where you tenderized the
> octopus by putting the machine on delicate cycle and running it dry.
>
> B/

Not in this lifetime; not in my house. <grin>

BUT, I did wash the dumb beets in the washer along with the cukes for
the second batch of bread & butter pickles. They're in salty ice now
and will be ready for jarring up in about an hour and a half. Guess
I'll do the dumb beets then. I've been looking at recipes and haven't
decided; Edrena's got me 5th place last year and since I am SO no judge
of a good one, I'm just puddling along deciding on a recipe.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>
>> I've seen a recipe for a spam-and-octopus dish where you tenderized the
>> octopus by putting the machine on delicate cycle and running it dry.
>>
>> B/

> Not in this lifetime; not in my house. <grin>
>
> BUT, I did wash the dumb beets in the washer along with the cukes for
> the second batch of bread & butter pickles. They're in salty ice now
> and will be ready for jarring up in about an hour and a half. Guess
> I'll do the dumb beets then. I've been looking at recipes and haven't
> decided; Edrena's got me 5th place last year and since I am SO no judge
> of a good one, I'm just puddling along deciding on a recipe.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

heeheeheee...the dumb beets! ROTFLMAO!!!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Serene" > wrote in message

> Oh, and if I can figure out how to can my mother's spaghetti sauce, that
> will be a bonus. The stuff takes a day and a half to cook, and she just
> gave me the pot she's made it in all my life as a gift (because she
> prefers another pot I gave her a few years ago). It's HUGE, so if I can
> can the sauce instead of freezing it, that will make me a very happy
> Serene.

Chances are pretty good that your Mom's spaghetti sauce recipe isn't acidic
enough to BWB, so you may have to pressure can it. I pressure canned some
sauce last year and really like the convenience of having it available for
quick meals.

Spaghetti sauce freezes nicley, so if you have the freezer space maybe you
can freeze your mother's recipe.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> I've seen a recipe for a spam-and-octopus dish where you tenderized the
>>> octopus by putting the machine on delicate cycle and running it dry.

> well that's just the weirdest thing I've read this week...

It's from a "Spam Around The World Cookbook" my brother gave me (He
lives in Saipan, where spam is just about the national flower)--without
looking, it's a New Guinean recipe.

..... and b'lieve me, it can ALWAYS get weirder.....

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> well that's just the weirdest thing I've read this week...

> It's from a "Spam Around The World Cookbook" my brother gave me (He lives
> in Saipan, where spam is just about the national flower)--without looking,
> it's a New Guinean recipe.
>
> .... and b'lieve me, it can ALWAYS get weirder.....
>
> B/

yup, I'm sure it can...lol! ;-)

um, so why is Spam something they would eat in Saipan...? or, um,
anywhere...?

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>
>>Kathi Jones wrote:
>>
>>>"George Shirley" > wrote in message
t...

>>>well that's just the weirdest thing I've read this week...

>>It's from a "Spam Around The World Cookbook" my brother gave me (He lives
>>in Saipan, where spam is just about the national flower)--without looking,
>>it's a New Guinean recipe.
>>
>>.... and b'lieve me, it can ALWAYS get weirder.....
>>
>>B/

> yup, I'm sure it can...lol! ;-)
>
> um, so why is Spam something they would eat in Saipan...? or, um,
> anywhere...?
>
> Kathi

GI's brought it there in WWII and the locals found it tasty. I was a wee
lad during WWII, six yo when it ended. If it hadn't been for Spam we
wouldn't have had meat some days. Of course being fishermen and hunters
we didn't go hungry too often. Do you know how many squirrels live in
some southern cities?

Want to get into some interesting history? Do a search on "cargo cults."
Very interesting thing that went on in the South Pacific at the end of
and after WWII.

George, who still likes Spam on occasion

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> Kathi Jones wrote:

et...

>>>It's from a "Spam Around The World Cookbook" my brother gave me (He lives
>>>in Saipan, where spam is just about the national flower)--without
>>>looking, it's a New Guinean recipe.
>>>
>>>.... and b'lieve me, it can ALWAYS get weirder.....
>>>
>>>B/

>> yup, I'm sure it can...lol! ;-)
>>
>> um, so why is Spam something they would eat in Saipan...? or, um,
>> anywhere...?
>>
>> Kathi

> GI's brought it there in WWII and the locals found it tasty. I was a wee
> lad during WWII, six yo when it ended. If it hadn't been for Spam we
> wouldn't have had meat some days. Of course being fishermen and hunters we
> didn't go hungry too often. Do you know how many squirrels live in some
> southern cities?
>
> Want to get into some interesting history? Do a search on "cargo cults."
> Very interesting thing that went on in the South Pacific at the end of and
> after WWII.
>
> George, who still likes Spam on occasion
>
> George

I must admit, I don't think I've ever eaten it...But I love what Monty
Python does with it...

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>Kathi Jones wrote:

. net...

>>>yup, I'm sure it can...lol! ;-)
>>>
>>>um, so why is Spam something they would eat in Saipan...? or, um,
>>>anywhere...?
>>>
>>>Kathi

>>GI's brought it there in WWII and the locals found it tasty. I was a wee
>>lad during WWII, six yo when it ended. If it hadn't been for Spam we
>>wouldn't have had meat some days. Of course being fishermen and hunters we
>>didn't go hungry too often. Do you know how many squirrels live in some
>>southern cities?
>>
>>Want to get into some interesting history? Do a search on "cargo cults."
>>Very interesting thing that went on in the South Pacific at the end of and
>>after WWII.
>>
>>George, who still likes Spam on occasion
>>
>>George
>>

> I must admit, I don't think I've ever eaten it...But I love what Monty
> Python does with it...
>
> Kathi

The US shipped so much Spam to the UK during and after WWII (food
rationing lasted for a few more years after the war) that the whole
Island nation is ringed with rusty Spam cans. Heck, Kathi, there are
even specialty cookbooks just for Spam. We mainly keep it on hand for
hurricane season but being registered OF's (Old Farts) we still like it
fried with eggs and in sandwiches.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
> Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
> Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
> small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
>
> I'm slightly annoyed with myself for buying mine from him because, 1) I
> don't like the guy but didn't have time to peruse the whole place due to
> time constraints, and 2) some sweet teens were selling theirs (more
> perfectly sized for my used than what I bought) for $2 a box and $6 or
> $8 would have gotten me at least as much as what I paid the guy I did
> buy from. Oh, well. Maybe next week. . . . I'm thinking I'll put up
> some half pint jars of them, too, for gifts. Then I won't have Rob's,
> "Hey! Quit giving away my pickles!" LOL!

Fatherless creeps. I bought my special order cukes (about 20#) at $1.39/lb.
They just don't grow so good down here. I cannot get anyone to pick them
small. Because they sell by the pound, you see.
I add whole pearl onions to my B&B pickles. I like they way they look.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Spam (was Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP)

George Shirley wrote:
> The US shipped so much Spam to the UK during and after WWII (food
> rationing lasted for a few more years after the war) that the whole
> Island nation is ringed with rusty Spam cans. Heck, Kathi, there are
> even specialty cookbooks just for Spam.

This one was "Spam Recipes from Around the World."

> We mainly keep it on hand for
> hurricane season but being registered OF's (Old Farts) we still like it
> fried with eggs and in sandwiches.

Hawaiian breakfast.... eggs, rice, and fried spam.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP....zuchinni pickles?

The Joneses wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
>> Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
>> Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
>> small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
>>
>> I'm slightly annoyed with myself for buying mine from him because, 1) I
>> don't like the guy but didn't have time to peruse the whole place due to
>> time constraints, and 2) some sweet teens were selling theirs (more
>> perfectly sized for my used than what I bought) for $2 a box and $6 or
>> $8 would have gotten me at least as much as what I paid the guy I did
>> buy from. Oh, well. Maybe next week. . . . I'm thinking I'll put up
>> some half pint jars of them, too, for gifts. Then I won't have Rob's,
>> "Hey! Quit giving away my pickles!" LOL!
>>

> Fatherless creeps. I bought my special order cukes (about 20#) at $1.39/lb.
> They just don't grow so good down here. I cannot get anyone to pick them
> small. Because they sell by the pound, you see.
> I add whole pearl onions to my B&B pickles. I like they way they look.
> Edrena

Has anyone made pickles from zuchinni??? Have recipe?
Also...I have lost my recipe for zuchinni bars that tasted like
apples...anyone tried that...yum!!
Aloha...tutu
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Norma Mastenbrook" > wrote in message
> The Joneses wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>> I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
>>> Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
>>> Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
>>> small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
>>>
>>> I'm slightly annoyed with myself for buying mine from him because, 1) I
>>> don't like the guy but didn't have time to peruse the whole place due to
>>> time constraints, and 2) some sweet teens were selling theirs (more
>>> perfectly sized for my used than what I bought) for $2 a box and $6 or
>>> $8 would have gotten me at least as much as what I paid the guy I did
>>> buy from. Oh, well. Maybe next week. . . . I'm thinking I'll put up
>>> some half pint jars of them, too, for gifts. Then I won't have Rob's,
>>> "Hey! Quit giving away my pickles!" LOL!
>>>

>> Fatherless creeps. I bought my special order cukes (about 20#) at
>> $1.39/lb. They just don't grow so good down here. I cannot get anyone to
>> pick them small. Because they sell by the pound, you see.
>> I add whole pearl onions to my B&B pickles. I like they way they look.
>> Edrena
>>

> Has anyone made pickles from zuchinni??? Have recipe?
> Also...I have lost my recipe for zuchinni bars that tasted like
> apples...anyone tried that...yum!!
> Aloha...tutu

Any ol' recipe for low acid pickles will do, just don't cook too long. Dare
I say that y'all are close to see level? The Ball Blue Book has a recipe for
bread & butter zucchini, also z~~ relish. And Small Batch Preserving has a
"winter pickle" one with cauliflower, carrots, bell pepper & z~ that can be
adapted for any combination of veggies. Let me know what you like & I'll
copy it out for you. The winter pickle I think I posted a couple years ago.
Today I'm doing a cauliflower only pickle with a lite curry flavor.
Edrena way up high.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Norma Mastenbrook wrote:
> The Joneses wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>> I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
>>> Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
>>> Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
>>> small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
>>>
>>> I'm slightly annoyed with myself for buying mine from him because, 1) I
>>> don't like the guy but didn't have time to peruse the whole place due to
>>> time constraints, and 2) some sweet teens were selling theirs (more
>>> perfectly sized for my used than what I bought) for $2 a box and $6 or
>>> $8 would have gotten me at least as much as what I paid the guy I did
>>> buy from. Oh, well. Maybe next week. . . . I'm thinking I'll put up
>>> some half pint jars of them, too, for gifts. Then I won't have Rob's,
>>> "Hey! Quit giving away my pickles!" LOL!
>>>

>> Fatherless creeps. I bought my special order cukes (about 20#) at
>> $1.39/lb. They just don't grow so good down here. I cannot get anyone
>> to pick them small. Because they sell by the pound, you see.
>> I add whole pearl onions to my B&B pickles. I like they way they look.
>> Edrena
>>

> Has anyone made pickles from zuchinni??? Have recipe?
> Also...I have lost my recipe for zuchinni bars that tasted like
> apples...anyone tried that...yum!!
> Aloha...tutu

I've made zuke relish and zuke pickles before. They tasted good but
always turned out soft and soggy.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I picked up $8 worth of cukes at the farmers market (locally grown,
> Ellen. :-) for transforming into Rob's B&B pickles. HOLY CRAP,
> Batman! The guy I bought my half peck from was selling a bushel of
> small pickling cukes for $60. SIX-ZERO dollars.
>

> Anyway, the cukes are currently in the washing machine getting scrubbed
> (I've a couple terry towels with them; gentle cycle, cold water).

Wot kinda detergent and fabric softener do you use???

This cracks me up every time you mention it.

;-)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Zucchini Pickles (was Bread & Butter Pickles - WIP....zuchinnipickles?)

Norma Mastenbrook wrote:

> Has anyone made pickles from zuchinni??? Have recipe?

Try this, from my site:
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ucchili01.html

B/