Cyron

Default San Diego Carne Asada?

Hello Friends!

I used to live in San Diego and while there developed a great love
for the "Carne Asada Burrito". It seemed like there was an endless
supply of shops selling them for ~$3.50 and they were absolutely
delicious.

I have since moved to colder parts of the country and when I inquire
about "Carne Asada Burrito" I'm either met by a blank stare or sold
some type of $8.00+ burrito that doesn't taste much like I had grown to
love.

I'm hoping someone can give me a name or a style of the "San Diegan"
Carne Asadas. I seem to recall they were just burritos packed with
grilled meat, salsa, guac, etc. Lately I've been getting burritos
packed with rice and beans?? I mean they're okay but I like the other
style better.

I'd appreciate any help and if you happen to know a taco shop in
Minneapolis that sells this style burrito, please give me a shout!

Thanks

Mike

Sonoran Dude

Cyron wrote:
> Hello Friends!
>
> I used to live in San Diego and while there developed a great love
> for the "Carne Asada Burrito". It seemed like there was an endless
> supply of shops selling them for ~$3.50 and they were absolutely
> delicious.
>
> I have since moved to colder parts of the country and when I inquire
> about "Carne Asada Burrito" I'm either met by a blank stare or sold
> some type of $8.00+ burrito that doesn't taste much like I had grown to
> love.
>
> I'm hoping someone can give me a name or a style of the "San Diegan"
> Carne Asadas. I seem to recall they were just burritos packed with
> grilled meat, salsa, guac, etc. Lately I've been getting burritos
> packed with rice and beans?? I mean they're okay but I like the other
> style better.
>
> I'd appreciate any help and if you happen to know a taco shop in
> Minneapolis that sells this style burrito, please give me a shout!
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

How cold is cold? There is usually good Mexican markets in any
commnunity in North America. Many may be hidden inside an Asian market.
Find the area of town that most of the immigrants live and ask around.
There you may find the burrito shop you are looking for or possibly a
carnaceria to buy the marinated meats you will need.
krusty kritter

Cyron wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can give me a name or a style of the "San Diegan"
> Carne Asadas. I seem to recall they were just burritos packed with
> grilled meat, salsa, guac, etc. Lately I've been getting burritos
> packed with rice and beans?? I mean they're okay but I like the other
> style better.
>
> I'd appreciate any help and if you happen to know a taco shop in
> Minneapolis that sells this style burrito, please give me a shout!

Have you checked the Minneapolis yellow pages for Mexican restaurants
and taquerias?

But, why don't you make your own burritos? Burritos are hardly
mysterious, you know. Think of a burrito as a Mexican sandwich, made
casually by filling a large flour tortilla with whatever cheap meat you
prefer, some beans or guacamole or toasted corn worms (1) or *whatever*
you can get ahold of and you eat it out of hand.

Carne asada is just beef that's sliced very thin and roasted. You could
do that yourself with meat purchased in any supermarket. I don't like
plain carne asada on a plate with rice and beans, it's too tough and
dry.

You could grill thin cut beef or roast it in the oven, and you could
soak in chile sauce, and it still comes out too tough and chewy for my
pleasure.

But, if you take cheap beef and *boil* it for an hour and a half, drain
the beef on paper towels to get rid of the water, then put a tablespoon
of cooking oil into a hot frying pan and stir fry the beef until it
becomes all shredded, what you have is called a "tinga de res", it's
like
what's called "barbecued beef"(2). But you don't screw it up with
sticky sweet barbecue sauce, you use a pre-packaged *Mexican* sauce!

You can buy the flour tortillas and wrap the meat and rice or beans or
whatever yourself. And you can buy canned enchilada sauce or mole or
adobo in jars. I find delicious pre-prepared Mexican sauces by Knorr in
little aluminum foil lined boxes in my local 99 Cents Only store. What
a bargain If you really want to get the taste of Mexico without soaking
dried chiles and frying them with garlic and onions and running them
through a blender.

(1) Yes, Mexican do eat *all* of the corn, including toasted corn
worms, and the root fungus. http://www.uv.mx/popularte/ingles/comer.htm

(2) You can also boil chicken or pork in the same manner, drain it and
stir fry it until it shreds and you have a delicious tinga de pollo or
tinga de puerco when you mix it with Knorr's pre-packaged pipian or
guajillo sauce.

Cyron

Sub zero for a month at a time is not uncommon. Two years ago I was
sitting inside at 70 degrees while the outdoor temp was -70 with the
wind chill. It's crazy to think of a 100 degree difference between you
and the glass window :P

Thanks for your comments. I do know of several Mexican markets and I
haven't tried to create my own carne asada. I was more or less trying
to identify the style of carne asada that seems to dominate in San
Diego. One of these days I may try making my own again.

Cyron

Thanks for your help. Yes, there are numerous mexican restaurants in
the yellow pages for Minneapolis and St. Paul. I've tried a large
variety of them but have not exhausted the list by any means. Also, I
have found that I tend to like taco shops that are not listed in the
yellow pages -- you know the hole-in-the wall style ones with a poor
building but amazing tasting food :P

Someone else mentioned making my own. I made carne asada on several
occasions back in San Diego, but always with the help of my friendly
mexican neighbors Sometime I might attempt to do it myself, but for
now I would prefer to locate a taco shop where I can just purchase the
burrito as fast food. There are an endless list of places here that
sell "carne asada burritos" but I want the burritos that follow the
style that I found is common to the majority of the Taco shops in San
Diego.

Thanks again

Charles Gifford

"Cyron" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello Friends!
>
> I used to live in San Diego and while there developed a great love
> for the "Carne Asada Burrito". It seemed like there was an endless
> supply of shops selling them for ~$3.50 and they were absolutely
> delicious.

Mike, if you cannot find what you want in the Twin Cities, you can try my
recipe. It isn't the same as the ones served at Roberto's and the many fake
'berto's places, but I am in Sandy Eggo. A simple web search will provide
you with hundreds of variations. Mine is very good though and the taste is
similar to others I've had at a variety of taquerias.

To serve in a taco or burrito, just slice the meat after cooking. You can
add whatever you like to it: salsa, guacamole (not guac for God's sake),
chopped onions and/or chiles, etc.

Charlie

Charlie's Carne Asada

6 sirloin steaks, 8 oz. each (I often use rib eye steaks)
1 cup olive oil
garlic salt, to taste
3 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. Mexican oregano, or to taste
black pepper, to taste
2 bay leaves, crushed
1 cup beer (I use Bohemia)
1 or 2 cloves garlic crushed
1 or 2 seeded, stemmed and chopped chiles (your choice of heat), optional

Marinate meat in remaining ingredients overnight. Cook over charcoal (or
broil). Serve with beans and rice or use as a tortilla filling.

I don't like the heat much, so I don't use the chiles. I don't miss them.

Mike Beede

In article .com>,
"Cyron" > wrote:

> Thanks for your help. Yes, there are numerous mexican restaurants in
> the yellow pages for Minneapolis and St. Paul. I've tried a large
> variety of them but have not exhausted the list by any means. Also, I
> have found that I tend to like taco shops that are not listed in the
> yellow pages -- you know the hole-in-the wall style ones with a poor
> building but amazing tasting food :P

The way to find good restaurants in Minneapolis is to read the
Dish column in the City Pages. Only when it's written by Dara
Moskowitz, though. They have archives online.

There are a lot of good cheap places down on Lake Street east
of 35W. If you want to try a bunch quickly, go to Mercado
Central which is between 35W and Chicago on the south side
of Lake. There are probably eight or ten places in there
and based on the four I've tried they're all good.

Don't know if you'll find just what you're looking for, but I
bet you'll find something you like in that part of town.

Regards,

Mike Beede
Wayne Lundberg

"Mike Beede" > wrote in message
---snip---
d they're all good.

> Don't know if you'll find just what you're looking for, but I
> bet you'll find something you like in that part of town.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Beede

You are not likely to find burritos in a typical, traditional Mexican taco
shop or restaurant. Burritos were invented by Mexican brazeros in the WWII
timeframe as they tried to replicate a good wholesome taco but lacked the
corn tortilla and Mexican chiles. But the history of the burrito is that it
has caught on in a lot of places in Mexico where the brazeros returned and
introduced it to their menu.

My guess is that if you ask for a carne asada taco with flour tortilla you
will get as close to a San Diego Burrito as possible. Add your own sauces,
or ask for some chile verde on the side and add a touch of sour cream.

Look in the frozen food section of your local supermarket then nuke the
beasts, cover with Salsa Verde and spoonful of sour cream and it will be
very close to what we have here in San Diego.

Wayne

Sonoran Dude

Cyron wrote:
> Thanks for your help. Yes, there are numerous mexican restaurants in
> the yellow pages for Minneapolis and St. Paul. I've tried a large
> variety of them but have not exhausted the list by any means. Also, I
> have found that I tend to like taco shops that are not listed in the
> yellow pages -- you know the hole-in-the wall style ones with a poor
> building but amazing tasting food :P
>
> Someone else mentioned making my own. I made carne asada on several
> occasions back in San Diego, but always with the help of my friendly
> mexican neighbors Sometime I might attempt to do it myself, but for
> now I would prefer to locate a taco shop where I can just purchase the
> burrito as fast food. There are an endless list of places here that
> sell "carne asada burritos" but I want the burritos that follow the
> style that I found is common to the majority of the Taco shops in San
> Diego.
>
> Thanks again

Look around town for some Mexicans... You can find them at convienience
stores grabbing lunch or coffee, on the back of construction trucks, in
landscaping centers etc. Ask them (In spanish) if they know of a
carniceria in town. "Donde es carniceria Mexicana?" (Sorry, I'm not
fluent but can get by when I need information.)

Please no replys on how I am using some sort of stereotype because in
actuallity some of these laborers are quite educated and if you have
never taken the time to say hello to them you may not be aware of this.
The Mexican immigrants in general are quite helpful and kind. Give it a
try, you just may find the best taco shop in town.
Cyron

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check into Dara's comments.
I've been to one of the places down in Mercado -- the place I tried was
good. Actually all the burritos I have tried are good, I just wish I
could a place that makes the burritos per the "style" im looking for.
During the summer I was traveling the western US and stopped at several
places. While I was unsuccesful at the 3 or 4 taco stands in Idaho, I
found 1 place in Utah that had what I was looking for.

Perhaps I'll wander down to Mercado for lunch tomorrow, keeping with my
Friday tradition. Last Friday I was in NE Mpls trying another place.
They all like to pack the burritos full of rice and this place even had
lettuce in it! It's okay...but not what I'm used to lol.

Cyron

lol, nothing from the local supermarket is going to taste close to what
san diego has. ick!

Cyron

Yeah I've spoken with a few of them. All the mexican places I'm
visitings are authentic...owned and operated by mexicans locally. I'm
convinced that there is just some style that prevails in the south west
when it comes to carne asada burritos. If i can identify the name of
that style, it would aid my search for a place here that follows that
particular style

Cyron

Thanks for the recipe. I may have to try making my own again sometime.
I agree with you -- I don't care for the extreme heat myself, but like
the coarsely chopped salsa for flavoring.

Carne Asada Qbert General Cooking 1 11-10-2015 01:17 AM
Carne Asada Tacos chefrwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 11-10-2006 11:58 PM
Carne Asada Burritos: San Diego vs. Minneapolis Cyron Restaurants 1 22-04-2006 11:02 PM
Charlie's Carne Asada Charles Gifford Mexican Cooking 10 01-03-2005 11:29 PM
Carne Asada How to cook? Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 0 29-09-2003 09:12 PM