Old 13-10-2004, 11:12 PM
SonoranDude

Default Alternative to Pickled Japs

For years I have loved the snappy dark green jalapenos we find at some local
taco shops... for a long time I thought these were grilled some how because
they were partially cooked. I asked the woman how they made them and she
explained they just fry them in oil.

Last weekend I put a half inch of oil in my iron skillet and tossed a couple
handfuls of fresh washed jalapenos in the oil. Turned them with a spoon
after 30 or 40 seconds to cook the other side and low and behold I had
discovered this simple technique. Once the Japs are wilted a little on each
side take them out and drain on some paper and cover with kosher salt.

Refrigerate till chilled and serve as condiments. Mine lasted nearly 3 days
but they do get slimey after the 2nd day so it's easy to cook them up when
needed. I'm going to re-use the oil over and over and see how hot that can
get too.

Brad

Old 14-10-2004, 03:50 AM
Jim Lane

SonoranDude wrote:
[...]

Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get it
that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
term "Japs" comes from.

jim

Old 14-10-2004, 08:15 AM
SonoranDude

"Jim Lane" wrote in message
SonoranDude wrote:
[...]

Dude, get a life... I guess you weren't in the produce biz

Old 14-10-2004, 08:22 AM
SonoranDude

"SonoranDude" wrote in message

"Jim Lane" wrote in message
SonoranDude wrote:
[...]

In respect of my Nipponese farming friends many of them grew these "japs"
for sale at market in and around the Phoenix area... I appologize for the
use of the capital letter, my mistake. Is it cool to call potatoes spuds?
Jeesh... it's people like you that ruin it for everyone on usenet.

Old 14-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Charles Gifford

"Jim Lane" wrote in message

Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get

it
that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
term "Japs" comes from.

jim

Dude, get a life... I guess you weren't in the produce biz

In respect of my Nipponese farming friends many of them grew these "japs"
for sale at market in and around the Phoenix area... I appologize for the
use of the capital letter, my mistake. Is it cool to call potatoes spuds?
Jeesh... it's people like you that ruin it for everyone on usenet.

My Japanese-American farming friends would have found the term very
offensive. Just as I do. I agree with Jim's rather polite post.

Charlie

Old 15-10-2004, 02:31 AM
Jim Lane

SonoranDude wrote:
"Jim Lane" wrote in message

SonoranDude wrote:

[...]

All my Japanese frinds find the term offensive and I'll bet your do to
but are too polite to tell you.

jim
Old 15-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Frank

politcal correct mexican-cooking, eh ? please, get a life.
don´t you think "mexican-cooking" is incorrect in itself ?

cu

frank

Old 16-10-2004, 05:05 AM
Jim Lane

Frank wrote:
politcal correct mexican-cooking, eh ? please, get a life.
don´t you think "mexican-cooking" is incorrect in itself ?

cu

frank

No it is not.

You need a life much worse than you think and more than I do, that's fer
shure, bubba!

jim
Old 19-10-2004, 02:52 PM
SonoranDude

"Jim Lane" wrote in message
SonoranDude wrote:
"Jim Lane" wrote in message

SonoranDude wrote:

[...]

I wish I could find an old produce order form to show you PC nit pickers
that I meant no disrespect to the Japanese. I treat every person I meet with
respect regardless of their heritage. Sak Tanita was one of the nicest guys
in the Phoenix produce market and if he was alive today he would laugh about
your over sensitivity to a hyphenated abbreviation we used to describe
Jalapeno Peppers.

In the early 80s I sold produce to restaurants and hotels in the Phoenix
area on hand written invoices. December of 1983 I wrote one half million
dollars in sales on these 10 key calculated hand written records. Japs was
the abbreviation we would use on a hand written invoice, it was never
spoken aloud, and it didn't half to be because every produce salesman,
truck driver, and chef could understand exactly what was written on the
invoice. For example 5x6 tom was a 5x6x2 layer tray pack tomato. Cuc was
cucumber, broc was broccoli, car was carrot. Jap or Japs was a jalapeno, I
didn't come up with the abreviation and it had been there years before I
entered the business and as I suspect it is probably still in use today.

This was never meant to represent the spoken sound of Japs. I have written
thousands of hand written produce orders and over time it becomes second
nature so please forgive me for using this old abbreviation and move on. Yes
it drives me nuts when someone will nit pic some stupid detail away from the
main theme of a post.

The truth is if you haven't tried pan frying your jalapenos than you missed
a delicious firery condiment that is easy to make and people go crazy for.

My next post will be on crackers so to be an equal opportunity offender.

Old 18-12-2004, 05:52 AM
tejas

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message
ink.net...

"SonoranDude" wrote in message

In respect of my Nipponese farming friends many of them grew these

"japs"
for sale at market in and around the Phoenix area... I appologize for

the
use of the capital letter, my mistake. Is it cool to call potatoes

spuds?
Jeesh... it's people like you that ruin it for everyone on usenet.

My Japanese-American farming friends would have found the term very
offensive. Just as I do. I agree with Jim's rather polite post.

Then again, "jap chiles" or "chiles japonesas" show up in the dried chile
section. They ain't jalapenos; they are dried serranos. But Arizona ain't
Texas., either.

T.

--
Ted Samsel

http://tbsamsel.home.infionline.net

Old 29-12-2004, 11:13 PM
SonoranDude

"tejas" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Can't anyone let sleeping dogs lie... Yes I love the other jap chiles you
are talking about which is an offical botonical name... they are quite
popular to make the olive juice based hot sauce found in many street side
taco stands around here... My explanation was trying to correct my faux pas
for bringing in a industry used hyphenated term that many took offense to.
Just try frying your fresh jalapenos in oil and seasoning with salt. Chill
and enjoy.

Alternative Living HL Diabetic 2 10-02-2006 01:38 PM
Alternative Mincemeat Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 01-12-2004 02:19 PM
Best alternative to WSM smoker? Billy B Barbecue 34 13-03-2004 11:03 PM