SonoranDude

Default Alternative to Pickled Japs

For years I have loved the snappy dark green jalapenos we find at some local
taco shops... for a long time I thought these were grilled some how because
they were partially cooked. I asked the woman how they made them and she
explained they just fry them in oil.

Last weekend I put a half inch of oil in my iron skillet and tossed a couple
handfuls of fresh washed jalapenos in the oil. Turned them with a spoon
after 30 or 40 seconds to cook the other side and low and behold I had
discovered this simple technique. Once the Japs are wilted a little on each
side take them out and drain on some paper and cover with kosher salt.

Refrigerate till chilled and serve as condiments. Mine lasted nearly 3 days
but they do get slimey after the 2nd day so it's easy to cook them up when
needed. I'm going to re-use the oil over and over and see how hot that can
get too.

Brad

Jim Lane

SonoranDude wrote:
> For years I have loved the snappy dark green jalapenos we find at some local
> taco shops... for a long time I thought these were grilled some how because
> they were partially cooked. I asked the woman how they made them and she
> explained they just fry them in oil.
>
> Last weekend I put a half inch of oil in my iron skillet and tossed a couple
> handfuls of fresh washed jalapenos in the oil. Turned them with a spoon
> after 30 or 40 seconds to cook the other side and low and behold I had
> discovered this simple technique. Once the Japs are wilted a little on each
> side take them out and drain on some paper and cover with kosher salt.
>
> Refrigerate till chilled and serve as condiments. Mine lasted nearly 3 days
> but they do get slimey after the 2nd day so it's easy to cook them up when
> needed. I'm going to re-use the oil over and over and see how hot that can
> get too.
>
> Brad

Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get it
that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
term "Japs" comes from.

jim
Jim Lane

SonoranDude wrote:
> For years I have loved the snappy dark green jalapenos we find at some local
> taco shops... for a long time I thought these were grilled some how because
> they were partially cooked. I asked the woman how they made them and she
> explained they just fry them in oil.
>
> Last weekend I put a half inch of oil in my iron skillet and tossed a couple
> handfuls of fresh washed jalapenos in the oil. Turned them with a spoon
> after 30 or 40 seconds to cook the other side and low and behold I had
> discovered this simple technique. Once the Japs are wilted a little on each
> side take them out and drain on some paper and cover with kosher salt.
>
> Refrigerate till chilled and serve as condiments. Mine lasted nearly 3 days
> but they do get slimey after the 2nd day so it's easy to cook them up when
> needed. I'm going to re-use the oil over and over and see how hot that can
> get too.
>
> Brad

Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get it
that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
term "Japs" comes from.

jim
SonoranDude

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> SonoranDude wrote:
> > For years I have loved the snappy dark green jalapenos we find at some

local
> > taco shops... for a long time I thought these were grilled some how

because
> > they were partially cooked. I asked the woman how they made them and she
> > explained they just fry them in oil.
> >
> > Last weekend I put a half inch of oil in my iron skillet and tossed a

couple
> > handfuls of fresh washed jalapenos in the oil. Turned them with a spoon
> > after 30 or 40 seconds to cook the other side and low and behold I had
> > discovered this simple technique. Once the Japs are wilted a little on

each
> > side take them out and drain on some paper and cover with kosher salt.
> >
> > Refrigerate till chilled and serve as condiments. Mine lasted nearly 3

days
> > but they do get slimey after the 2nd day so it's easy to cook them up

when
> > needed. I'm going to re-use the oil over and over and see how hot that

can
> > get too.
> >
> > Brad
> >

> Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
> capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get it
> that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
> term "Japs" comes from.
>

> jim

Dude, get a life... I guess you weren't in the produce biz

SonoranDude

"SonoranDude" > wrote in message

> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> > SonoranDude wrote:
> > > For years I have loved the snappy dark green jalapenos we find at some

> local
> > > taco shops... for a long time I thought these were grilled some how

> because
> > > they were partially cooked. I asked the woman how they made them and

she
> > > explained they just fry them in oil.
> > >
> > > Last weekend I put a half inch of oil in my iron skillet and tossed a

> couple
> > > handfuls of fresh washed jalapenos in the oil. Turned them with a

spoon
> > > after 30 or 40 seconds to cook the other side and low and behold I had
> > > discovered this simple technique. Once the Japs are wilted a little on

> each
> > > side take them out and drain on some paper and cover with kosher salt.
> > >
> > > Refrigerate till chilled and serve as condiments. Mine lasted nearly 3

> days
> > > but they do get slimey after the 2nd day so it's easy to cook them up

> when
> > > needed. I'm going to re-use the oil over and over and see how hot that

> can
> > > get too.
> > >
> > > Brad
> > >

> > Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
> > capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get it
> > that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
> > term "Japs" comes from.
> >

> > jim

> Dude, get a life... I guess you weren't in the produce biz

In respect of my Nipponese farming friends many of them grew these "japs"
for sale at market in and around the Phoenix area... I appologize for the
use of the capital letter, my mistake. Is it cool to call potatoes spuds?
Jeesh... it's people like you that ruin it for everyone on usenet.

Charles Gifford

"SonoranDude" > wrote in message

> "SonoranDude" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
> > > capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get

it
> > > that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
> > > term "Japs" comes from.
> > >

> > > jim

> > Dude, get a life... I guess you weren't in the produce biz
> >

> In respect of my Nipponese farming friends many of them grew these "japs"
> for sale at market in and around the Phoenix area... I appologize for the
> use of the capital letter, my mistake. Is it cool to call potatoes spuds?
> Jeesh... it's people like you that ruin it for everyone on usenet.

My Japanese-American farming friends would have found the term very
offensive. Just as I do. I agree with Jim's rather polite post.

Charlie

Jim Lane

SonoranDude wrote:
> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
>>SonoranDude wrote:
>>
>>>For years I have loved the snappy dark green jalapenos we find at some

> local
>
>>>taco shops... for a long time I thought these were grilled some how

> because
>
>>>they were partially cooked. I asked the woman how they made them and she
>>>explained they just fry them in oil.
>>>
>>>Last weekend I put a half inch of oil in my iron skillet and tossed a

> couple
>
>>>handfuls of fresh washed jalapenos in the oil. Turned them with a spoon
>>>after 30 or 40 seconds to cook the other side and low and behold I had
>>>discovered this simple technique. Once the Japs are wilted a little on

> each
>
>>>side take them out and drain on some paper and cover with kosher salt.
>>>
>>>Refrigerate till chilled and serve as condiments. Mine lasted nearly 3

> days
>
>>>but they do get slimey after the 2nd day so it's easy to cook them up

> when
>
>>>needed. I'm going to re-use the oil over and over and see how hot that

> can
>
>>>get too.
>>>
>>>Brad
>>>

>>Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
>>capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get it
>>that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
>>term "Japs" comes from.
>>

>>jim

> Dude, get a life... I guess you weren't in the produce biz

All my Japanese frinds find the term offensive and I'll bet your do to
but are too polite to tell you.

jim
Frank

politcal correct mexican-cooking, eh ? please, get a life.
don´t you think "mexican-cooking" is incorrect in itself ?

cu

frank

Jim Lane

Frank wrote:
> politcal correct mexican-cooking, eh ? please, get a life.
> don´t you think "mexican-cooking" is incorrect in itself ?
>
> cu
>

> frank

No it is not.

You need a life much worse than you think and more than I do, that's fer
shure, bubba!

jim
SonoranDude

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> SonoranDude wrote:

> > local

> > because

she

> > couple

> > each

> > days

> > when

> > can

> >>Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
> >>capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get it
> >>that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
> >>term "Japs" comes from.
> >>

> >>jim

> > Dude, get a life... I guess you weren't in the produce biz
> >

> All my Japanese frinds find the term offensive and I'll bet your do to
> but are too polite to tell you.
>

> jim

I wish I could find an old produce order form to show you PC nit pickers
that I meant no disrespect to the Japanese. I treat every person I meet with
respect regardless of their heritage. Sak Tanita was one of the nicest guys
in the Phoenix produce market and if he was alive today he would laugh about
your over sensitivity to a hyphenated abbreviation we used to describe
Jalapeno Peppers.

In the early 80s I sold produce to restaurants and hotels in the Phoenix
area on hand written invoices. December of 1983 I wrote one half million
dollars in sales on these 10 key calculated hand written records. Japs was
the abbreviation we would use on a hand written invoice, it was never
spoken aloud, and it didn't half to be because every produce salesman,
truck driver, and chef could understand exactly what was written on the
invoice. For example 5x6 tom was a 5x6x2 layer tray pack tomato. Cuc was
cucumber, broc was broccoli, car was carrot. Jap or Japs was a jalapeno, I
didn't come up with the abreviation and it had been there years before I
entered the business and as I suspect it is probably still in use today.

This was never meant to represent the spoken sound of Japs. I have written
thousands of hand written produce orders and over time it becomes second
nature so please forgive me for using this old abbreviation and move on. Yes
it drives me nuts when someone will nit pic some stupid detail away from the
main theme of a post.

The truth is if you haven't tried pan frying your jalapenos than you missed
a delicious firery condiment that is easy to make and people go crazy for.

My next post will be on crackers so to be an equal opportunity offender.

SonoranDude

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> SonoranDude wrote:

> > local

> > because

she

> > couple

> > each

> > days

> > when

> > can

> >>Brad, they are jalapenos, not japs, and especially not japs with a
> >>capital "J." Try calling them jalas for short. More people might get it
> >>that way and not tend to think you are against the Japanese, where the
> >>term "Japs" comes from.
> >>

> >>jim

> > Dude, get a life... I guess you weren't in the produce biz
> >

> All my Japanese frinds find the term offensive and I'll bet your do to
> but are too polite to tell you.
>

> jim

I wish I could find an old produce order form to show you PC nit pickers
that I meant no disrespect to the Japanese. I treat every person I meet with
respect regardless of their heritage. Sak Tanita was one of the nicest guys
in the Phoenix produce market and if he was alive today he would laugh about
your over sensitivity to a hyphenated abbreviation we used to describe
Jalapeno Peppers.

In the early 80s I sold produce to restaurants and hotels in the Phoenix
area on hand written invoices. December of 1983 I wrote one half million
dollars in sales on these 10 key calculated hand written records. Japs was
the abbreviation we would use on a hand written invoice, it was never
spoken aloud, and it didn't half to be because every produce salesman,
truck driver, and chef could understand exactly what was written on the
invoice. For example 5x6 tom was a 5x6x2 layer tray pack tomato. Cuc was
cucumber, broc was broccoli, car was carrot. Jap or Japs was a jalapeno, I
didn't come up with the abreviation and it had been there years before I
entered the business and as I suspect it is probably still in use today.

This was never meant to represent the spoken sound of Japs. I have written
thousands of hand written produce orders and over time it becomes second
nature so please forgive me for using this old abbreviation and move on. Yes
it drives me nuts when someone will nit pic some stupid detail away from the
main theme of a post.

The truth is if you haven't tried pan frying your jalapenos than you missed
a delicious firery condiment that is easy to make and people go crazy for.

My next post will be on crackers so to be an equal opportunity offender.

tejas

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "SonoranDude" > wrote in message

> > In respect of my Nipponese farming friends many of them grew these

"japs"
> > for sale at market in and around the Phoenix area... I appologize for

the
> > use of the capital letter, my mistake. Is it cool to call potatoes

spuds?
> > Jeesh... it's people like you that ruin it for everyone on usenet.

> My Japanese-American farming friends would have found the term very
> offensive. Just as I do. I agree with Jim's rather polite post.

Then again, "jap chiles" or "chiles japonesas" show up in the dried chile
section. They ain't jalapenos; they are dried serranos. But Arizona ain't
Texas., either.

T.

--
Ted Samsel

http://tbsamsel.home.infionline.net

SonoranDude

"tejas" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "SonoranDude" > wrote in message

> > > In respect of my Nipponese farming friends many of them grew these

> "japs"
> > > for sale at market in and around the Phoenix area... I appologize for

> the
> > > use of the capital letter, my mistake. Is it cool to call potatoes

> spuds?
> > > Jeesh... it's people like you that ruin it for everyone on usenet.

> > My Japanese-American farming friends would have found the term very
> > offensive. Just as I do. I agree with Jim's rather polite post.

> Then again, "jap chiles" or "chiles japonesas" show up in the dried chile
> section. They ain't jalapenos; they are dried serranos. But Arizona ain't
> Texas., either.
>
> T.
>

> --
> Ted Samsel

http://tbsamsel.home.infionline.net

Can't anyone let sleeping dogs lie... Yes I love the other jap chiles you
are talking about which is an offical botonical name... they are quite
popular to make the olive juice based hot sauce found in many street side
taco stands around here... My explanation was trying to correct my faux pas
for bringing in a industry used hyphenated term that many took offense to.
Just try frying your fresh jalapenos in oil and seasoning with salt. Chill
and enjoy.

Alternative Living HL Diabetic 2 10-02-2006 02:38 PM
Alternative Mincemeat Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 01-12-2004 03:19 PM
Best alternative to WSM smoker? Billy B Barbecue 34 14-03-2004 12:03 AM