Billy B

Default Best alternative to WSM smoker?

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:28:14 -0600, "Dave K."
> wrote:

>In other words, what's the best smoker I
>can buy for under $200 that has a built-in thermometer?

Well, I'd say the Chargriller is a good one for under $200, but the
built-in thermometer don't work worth a damn, so I guess that wouldn't
work for you either.
Duwop

Billy B wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:28:14 -0600, "Dave K."
> > wrote:
>
>> In other words, what's the best smoker I
>> can buy for under $200 that has a built-in thermometer?
>>

> Well, I'd say the Chargriller is a good one for under $200, but the
> built-in thermometer don't work worth a damn, so I guess that wouldn't
> work for you either.

Well now, that's a good criteria for buying a smoker, buy the one with the
best $12 part.
Do you buy the car with the most cup holders as the pimary criteria?

All stock thermometer's should be treated as crap until you know different
anyway.

Dave K.

Well, that's kind of what I was wondering. Would it be a big step down to go
with any other brand of smoker? If so, I'd buy a WSM.

On the other hand, is there anything comparable to a WSM (maybe the same
style & design as a WSM but made by a lesser-known manufacturer), which
might be a little cheaper and have a built-in thermometer? If so, I'd like
to know and at least consider it.

Dave

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.
"Duwop" > wrote in message
> Billy B wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:28:14 -0600, "Dave K."
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> In other words, what's the best smoker I
> >> can buy for under $200 that has a built-in thermometer?
> >>

> > Well, I'd say the Chargriller is a good one for under $200, but the
> > built-in thermometer don't work worth a damn, so I guess that wouldn't
> > work for you either.

> Well now, that's a good criteria for buying a smoker, buy the one with the
> best $12 part.
> Do you buy the car with the most cup holders as the pimary criteria?
>
> All stock thermometer's should be treated as crap until you know different
> anyway.

Billy B

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:35:34 -0800, "Duwop" > wrote:

>Billy B wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:28:14 -0600, "Dave K."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> In other words, what's the best smoker I
>>> can buy for under $200 that has a built-in thermometer?
>>>

>> Well, I'd say the Chargriller is a good one for under $200, but the
>> built-in thermometer don't work worth a damn, so I guess that wouldn't
>> work for you either.

>Well now, that's a good criteria for buying a smoker, buy the one with the
>best $12 part.
>Do you buy the car with the most cup holders as the pimary criteria?
>
>All stock thermometer's should be treated as crap until you know different
>anyway.

I think you meant this for Dave K, not for me. I've got a
Chargriller, three Polder's and a WSM coming from Amazon this week. I
am one happy camper!
John O

> On the other hand, is there anything comparable to a WSM (maybe the same
> style & design as a WSM but made by a lesser-known manufacturer), which
> might be a little cheaper and have a built-in thermometer? If so, I'd like
> to know and at least consider it.

Just get the WSM and pay $8 for a decent thermometer at Home Depot. Drill a
3/16 hole in the side, mount the darn thing and be done with it. :-)

That's all I really need. I bought one with a long probe. I drilled a hole
in an old wine cork and slide that down the probe to hold it in place. The
tip of the probe sits just under the top rack, about five inches in from the
body of the smoker. Might not be the most accurate, but I can tell when my
fire needs stoked and when it's doing well, which is a lot better than the
stock ECB POS.

-John O

Nathan Lau

Dave K. wrote:
> Well, that's kind of what I was wondering. Would it be a big step down to go
> with any other brand of smoker? If so, I'd buy a WSM.
>
> On the other hand, is there anything comparable to a WSM (maybe the same
> style & design as a WSM but made by a lesser-known manufacturer), which
> might be a little cheaper and have a built-in thermometer? If so, I'd like
> to know and at least consider it.

Dave,

There are other bullet smokers out there but the WSM is the best (IMO),
in terms of temperature control. All stock thermometers are junk. Get
the WSM, get some good thermometers, and install them yourself. There
are great instructions for measuring temps

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/measuretemp.html

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Duwop

Billy B wrote:

> I think you meant this for Dave K, not for me. I've got a
> Chargriller, three Polder's and a WSM coming from Amazon this week. I
> am one happy camper!

Yep.
A Chargriller and a wsm? You're gonna be able to cook a LOT of meat at once.
I hope you are thinking of having at least one good yard party this summer
and use all that grill space.

Three polders? Let's see, one for the meat, one for the BBQ cooker
temp............. never mind, I dont want to know where you put the third
one.

Dale

Billy B

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:21:40 -0800, in message
>, "Duwop" >
wrote

>A Chargriller and a wsm? You're gonna be able to cook a LOT of meat at once.

Oh, yeah, that's the plan! The funny thing is, it was my wife's idea
to get more cooking capacity. She was going to buy me another
Chargriller for Christmas, but I was thinking about a ceramic cooker.
(I really like my Chargriller, but the thought of keeping two of them
going at once was not real appealing). Anyway, the prices for the
ceramics are a bit much for our budget, so we were kind of floundering
around when this WSM deal came along. Sweet!

>I hope you are thinking of having at least one good yard party this summer
>and use all that grill space.

Summer??? We're having a welcome in Spring party for all the teachers
at her middle school in 3 weeks (lucky it's a small school). I could
have really used the extra space the first week in Feb. when another
teacher hosted the mid-winter blues party they have every year
(nothing like cooking with 6 inches of packed powder/ice on the ground
and upper 20's temps, easy to keep the beer cold). Every year I bring
more ribs than the year before and every year they tell me to bring
more next year. I guess this should keep me covered for a while!

>Three polders? Let's see, one for the meat, one for the BBQ cooker
>temp............. never mind, I dont want to know where you put the third
>one.

It's interesting to put 2 probes in the cooking chamber on the
Chargriller, one near the stack and one near the firebox end, and see
how the temperatures differ. It's a big enough area that you can get
quite a spread in temps. Other than that, I use the 3rd in my ECB
when I'm forced to fire all barrels at once, so to speak. The ECB was
my first cooker and I've held on to it for emergency use, but I think
once the WSM get here the old ECB will be heading out to pasture. Or
maybe not. I guess there's no such thing as too much capacity, hey?
Dsorgnzd

"Dave K." > wrote in message
> However, I'm
> bothered that the WSM doesn't come with a built-in thermometer. (Why

hasn't
> Weber caught on and added a thermometer to that model?)

I think that even a $5 deep fry/candy thermometer is better than the
built-in thermometers in most smokers. That's what I used for 4 years of
cooking on a highly-modified Brinkmann bullet smoker, and it worked very
well. I've been using a Polder on the rack of my WSM so far, but I still
plan to install a candy thermometer in the side, just like I did on the
Brinkmann, with the stem of the thermometer just underneath the top rack.

frohe

Dave K. wrote:
> I'm ready to buy a smoker (preferably under $200) and give barbeque a
> try. From reading newsgroups and such, I know that the Weber Smokey
> Mountain has become a legend, and is typically the most recommended
> smoker out there, for beginners like me and experienced barbeque
> fanatics alike. However, I'm bothered that the WSM doesn't come with
> a built-in thermometer. (Why hasn't Weber caught on and added a
> thermometer to that model?) I know there are workarounds, and maybe
> I'll end up buying a WSM, but I was just wondering if there are any
> other highly-rated brands of smokers that perform like the WSM but
> have a built-in thermometer? In other words, what's the best smoker I
> can buy for under $200 that has a built-in thermometer?

I wouldn't trust a "stock" therm in any cooker. Spend another 12 bucks or
so and buy a Taylor therm (or similar model.)

Don't get suckered into buyin the Polder dual probe therm. Search this NG
on google and see how most of us who've had one think it's a piece of crap.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

JL

"Dave K." > wrote:
> I'm ready to buy a smoker (preferably under $200) and give barbeque a try.
> From reading newsgroups and such, I know that the Weber Smokey Mountain

has
> become a legend, and is typically the most recommended smoker out there,

for
> beginners like me and experienced barbeque fanatics alike. However, I'm
> bothered that the WSM doesn't come with a built-in thermometer.

Get over the thermometer hang-up and buy a WSM.

Oncler

> Get over the thermometer hang-up and buy a WSM.

I Agree....I got a WSM as my first smoker last fall. and am amazed at how
well it keeps a steady temp. To me this is more important than what
thermometer comes with it. So far I haven't even bothered getting a probe
type thermometer. I just put an oven thermometer on the lower rack facing
the door, and peek in once in a while.....if I have a big chunk of pork on
the lower rack, I put a meat thermometer in that facing the door, for a
quick peek.

Mike Wilson

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:28:14 -0600, "Dave K."
> wrote:

>I'm ready to buy a smoker (preferably under $200) and give barbeque a try.
>From reading newsgroups and such, I know that the Weber Smokey Mountain has
>become a legend, and is typically the most recommended smoker out there, for
>beginners like me and experienced barbeque fanatics alike. However, I'm
>bothered that the WSM doesn't come with a built-in thermometer. (Why hasn't
>Weber caught on and added a thermometer to that model?) I know there are
>workarounds, and maybe I'll end up buying a WSM, but I was just wondering if
>there are any other highly-rated brands of smokers that perform like the WSM
>but have a built-in thermometer? In other words, what's the best smoker I
>can buy for under $200 that has a built-in thermometer?
>
>Thanks for your help!!

I've gone through a few smokers over the years. I started with
inexpensive Brinkmanns and moved up to a WSM a few years ago.

Then I got the urge to get away from "water bullets" and bought a New
Braunfels Bandera. I still have the little Weber though and use if
for small things. It actually gets more use than the Bandera, which
is pretty much reserved when I have to do more than one turkeys or
pork shoulder, or multiple racks of ribs I installed a thermometer
about midway between the water pan area and the top, just to get a
rough idea on the internal temperature. I also use a probe in the
meat. I don't use the water pan for water. I line it with foil and
use it as a drip pan. One of the nice things about the WSM is its
versatility. It's portable and can be used to grill, steam, roast,
etc.

As for cheaper alternatives, I have a friend who bought a Great
Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series 3000 from Walmart last year and he has
made some good que in it. I think he paid just over a hundred bucks
for it. It has a thermometer built into the cabinet but like others
have said, being able to monitor the internal temperature of the meat
is of primary importance. It's a cabinet style smoker with a door
that runs the full way from top to bottom. Seems that it would be
easier to add fuel, water (if so inclined) and to futz around with the
meat in this style.

Here's a good link to all things WSM:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

moncho

"Dave K." > wrote in message
> Well, that's kind of what I was wondering. Would it be a big step down to

go
> with any other brand of smoker? If so, I'd buy a WSM.
>
> On the other hand, is there anything comparable to a WSM (maybe the same
> style & design as a WSM but made by a lesser-known manufacturer), which
> might be a little cheaper and have a built-in thermometer? If so, I'd like
> to know and at least consider it.

Look at it this way Dave, Why do you care so much about one thermometer?

If you are a newbie to Q'ing, you will probably want to use two, three or
four
theremometer's. One for the top rack temp, one for the bottom rack temp,
one
for the top food temp (stuck in a pork butt), and maybe one in the bottom
food
rack. (** experience Q'ers see below before you wrip my amount of thermo's)

The way I look at it, one built in thermo does you know good anyways. The
temps in each
area of the WSM differ just a little so it might be wise to use multiple
thermos depending
upon how much food you are smoking.

NOTE - I know that experience Q'ers do not need thermo's for anything
because
they are seasoned, but I am not that good yet and a control freak. I am
getting better,
I am now down to 3 thermo's.

moncho

Jason in Dallas

By purchasing and mounting your own thermo you get to pick what you want and
where it is installed ... as opposed to settling for what some bean counter
at the factory decided was best for their bottom line. I got a nice 3"
thermometer and the Unibit step drill bit and it took all of five minutes.
Being a contrarian I mounted in the dome for visibility and clearance then
calibrated it proportionately downward to match the verified temp at the top
grate when 225F was reached and measured there with a calibrated probe.

Alternatives? None. ECB for a lot less dough but nowhere near as good.
Ceramic good but for a lot more dough. Offset smoker nowhere near as
convenient.

The WSM is in a league of its own. Just buy the damn thing or get a
ceramic.

Anon

Mark > wrote in message

> True, but his question is still a good one: Why *hasn't* webber gone to
> the very ovious improvement of installing a thermometer who's quality is
> commensurate with that of the WSM ?
>
> Surely the added customer satisfaction would be worth the extra $5 - $10
> or so it would cost to add a quality thermometer (bought in production
> volumes).
>
> To have such an obvious omission for so long as to have multiple websites
> chronicling the shortcomings of the product and NOT doing anything about
> it tells me either a) they are stupid or (more likely): b) they don't
> care because people will buy the product anyhow.

I disagree. You act as if Weber would add the thermometer without passing
the cost on to the consumer. So the WSM is going to cost more *and* Weber
is going to decide the quality and placement of the thermometer.

I would rather have the money in my pocket, spend it on the thermometer that
I feel best suits my needs, and mount that thermometer in the way I find
most suitable.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:41:10 -0600, "Dave K."
> wrote:

>And Mark is right: numerous WSM owners on numerous Web sites and in numerous
>WSM reviews gripe that the only thing they don't like about their WSM is the
>lack of built in thermometer. It's such a simple, inexpensive fix for Weber
>to add one ... then most owners would have no knocks on the product and the
>WSM would be considered by most to be a "perfect" smoker that has NO flaws.

Kamado's thermometers are sturdy and accurate. They cost $15 retail.
Adding one to a WSM would represent an 8% increase in the $180 retail
price. Anything much beyond that would push the price up above $200,
something that Weber probably wants to avoid. Seems to me there are
few things they could do to the WSM to absorb that cost, at least not
without sacrificing quality.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Default User

"Kevin S. Wilson" wrote:

> Kamado's thermometers are sturdy and accurate. They cost $15 retail.
> Adding one to a WSM would represent an 8% increase in the $180 retail
> price. Anything much beyond that would push the price up above $200,
> something that Weber probably wants to avoid. Seems to me there are
> few things they could do to the WSM to absorb that cost, at least not
> without sacrificing quality.

How about not charge retail? Their cost for the thermometers should be
less, just like any other part that goes into a WSM. If you toted up all
the retail costs for the various parts, it would cost you a lot more
than the $179. The retail cost involves stocking and tracking the parts
individually, costs that aren't associated with an installed part.

Brian Rodenborn
Nathan Lau

Dave K. wrote:

> Well stated, Mark!
>
> We have a Weber Genesis grill that came with a thermometer installed in the
> hood. It works fine and sure beats the heck out of having to make a second
> trip to a different store to buy a thermometer, pull out the drill and mount
> it. And when the hood is designed and built to hold a certain stock
> thermometer, it looks a lot better than if I got out my drill and mounted
> one. Sure, maybe some people would prefer a different type of thermometer,
> or add another type in a different spot, but I think the majority of Genesis
> grill owners find that the stock thermometer is a nice addition to their
> grill and is way more convenient than having to go buy a separate one and
> mount it.
>
> And Mark is right: numerous WSM owners on numerous Web sites and in numerous
> WSM reviews gripe that the only thing they don't like about their WSM is the
> lack of built in thermometer. It's such a simple, inexpensive fix for Weber
> to add one ... then most owners would have no knocks on the product and the
> WSM would be considered by most to be a "perfect" smoker that has NO flaws.

I think the going sentiment is that since Weber sells more Genesis gas
grills than they do WSM's, they're not going to do as much to improve
the WSM product as the customer base is comparatively small.

Besides, why take the fun out of tinkering with the product to make it
"perfect" for individual preferences?

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

M&M

On 3-Mar-2004, "moncho" > wrote:
<snip>
> NOTE - I know that experience Q'ers do not need thermo's for anything
> because
> they are seasoned, but I am not that good yet and a control freak. I am
> getting better,
> I am now down to 3 thermo's.
>
> moncho

Been there, done that. Just use the dome therm now and sometimes
depending on how expensive the meat is a probe in the meat. It'll be
awhile before I can compete with Big Jim (Well maybe never), but I
like what I cook and friends scarf if up.)
--
M&M ("The problem is that no matter what you do, there's
Sombody that won' t like it much") Tom Clancy
Kent H.

Use an external oven thermometer. All the posters saying that are right on.

"Dave K." wrote:

> I'm ready to buy a smoker (preferably under $200) and give barbeque a try.
> From reading newsgroups and such, I know that the Weber Smokey Mountain has
> become a legend, and is typically the most recommended smoker out there, for
> beginners like me and experienced barbeque fanatics alike. However, I'm
> bothered that the WSM doesn't come with a built-in thermometer. (Why hasn't
> Weber caught on and added a thermometer to that model?) I know there are
> workarounds, and maybe I'll end up buying a WSM, but I was just wondering if
> there are any other highly-rated brands of smokers that perform like the WSM
> but have a built-in thermometer? In other words, what's the best smoker I
> can buy for under $200 that has a built-in thermometer?
>
> Thanks for your help!!
>
> --
> NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
> This is a spam guard.

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Dave K." wrote:
>
> I know that the Weber Smokey Mountain has
> > become a legend, and is typically the most recommended smoker out there,

for
> > beginners like me and experienced barbeque fanatics alike. However, I'm
> > bothered that the WSM doesn't come with a built-in thermometer. (Why

hasn't
> > Weber caught on and added a thermometer to that model?)

No, there are none better especially in that price range. There is a reason
they do not provide a thermometer. You don't need one. Start a fire, put
the meat in, take it out when it is done. Feel the top a few times and you
can judge if it is cooking properly.

BBQ is an art, not science. Millions of them have been sold with no
thermometers so unless you are inferior to all of those people, buy the WSM
or go back to the crock pot.

frohe

Dave K. wrote:
> the WSM would be considered by most to
> be a "perfect" smoker that has NO flaws.

Gimme a flawed WSM then. I'll decide where the therm goes and when.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Kyle Tucker

In article > ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > writes:

> No, there are none better especially in that price range. There is a reason
> they do not provide a thermometer. You don't need one. Start a fire, put
> the meat in, take it out when it is done. Feel the top a few times and you
> can judge if it is cooking properly.

After my first go at it with my new WSM last weekend, I can tell you
these things just burn and burn right. I checked the temp throughout
the day and it never went far from 230-240 using lump with Minion
method. Water lasted 7 hours and lump lasted around 8. Added a bit
at the end to ensure I'd maintain temp. It is so easy to do barbecue
with this, it's just plain silly. Now I can barbecue as a side task
on weekends while doing other things, rather than it being the main
thing.

--
- Kyle

Jack Sloan

"Kyle Tucker" > wrote in message
> In article < Now I can barbecue as a side task
> on weekends while doing other things, rather than it being the main
> thing.
>
> --
> - Kyle

Kyle...yer just not gettin' it...Barbecue IS the thing.
Jack<G>

Randolph M. Jones

Jack Sloan wrote:
> "Kyle Tucker" > wrote in message
>
>>In article < Now I can barbecue as a side task
>>on weekends while doing other things, rather than it being the main
>>thing.
>>
>>--
>>- Kyle

> Kyle...yer just not gettin' it...Barbecue IS the thing.
> Jack<G>

I'm afraid I'm with Kyle. *Eating* barbecue is the thing. Cooking it
is fun, but it's nice to be able to play with the kids, run to the store
for the rest of the food, etc., while doing that.

Duwop

Randolph M. Jones wrote:
> Jack Sloan wrote:
>> "Kyle Tucker" > wrote in message
>>
>>> In article < Now I can barbecue as a side task
>>> on weekends while doing other things, rather than it being the main
>>> thing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> - Kyle

>> Kyle...yer just not gettin' it...Barbecue IS the thing.
>> Jack<G>
>>

> I'm afraid I'm with Kyle. *Eating* barbecue is the thing. Cooking it
> is fun, but it's nice to be able to play with the kids, run to the
> store for the rest of the food, etc., while doing that.

Just don't let the wife know exactly how easy it is.

Mark

In article >, ing
says...
> Mark > wrote in message
> >
> > True, but his question is still a good one: Why *hasn't* webber gone to
> > the very ovious improvement of installing a thermometer who's quality is
> > commensurate with that of the WSM ?
> >
> > Surely the added customer satisfaction would be worth the extra $5 - $10
> > or so it would cost to add a quality thermometer (bought in production
> > volumes).
> >
> > To have such an obvious omission for so long as to have multiple websites
> > chronicling the shortcomings of the product and NOT doing anything about
> > it tells me either a) they are stupid or (more likely): b) they don't
> > care because people will buy the product anyhow.
> >

> I disagree. You act as if Weber would add the thermometer without passing
> the cost on to the consumer. So the WSM is going to cost more *and* Weber
> is going to decide the quality and placement of the thermometer.
>
> I would rather have the money in my pocket, spend it on the thermometer that
> I feel best suits my needs, and mount that thermometer in the way I find
> most suitable.

Look at the bigger picture. Webber is going to buy *thousands* of
thermometers; they can buy a unit that would retail at $15 and put it in
the WSM for well under $10. They can find the right mounting method,
ensure the proble length is optimal, etc, etc. Than, there's no risk of
the customer drilling holes in the unit, so fewer support issues....

THEN...consider the customer satisfaction value (hard to derive a $
figure for but it's defiante a non-zero amount.)

Personally, I have no problem installing a thermometer -I have the tools,
skills and inclination to do so. However, from a business perspective, I
see this as a weakness in the product and I recognize that not everyone
who's into 'Q' is interested in drilling holes and monting thermos
(they're probably more interested in Q'in).

In the end, Weber, in it's infinite wisdom, does not see fit to improve
the product and they may have sound business reasons for it. They should
realize though that the public does not know (or care) what those reasons
are and overall, it just makes them look 'less good' (I say that because
I don't think the lack of a thermo make the WSM a BAD product, or Webber
a BAD company, just one that could easily improve).

--
Mark
(remove the obvious to reply)
Nathan Lau

Mark wrote:
> Look at the bigger picture. Webber is going to buy *thousands* of
> thermometers; they can buy a unit that would retail at $15 and put it in
> the WSM for well under $10. They can find the right mounting method,
> ensure the proble length is optimal, etc, etc. Than, there's no risk of
> the customer drilling holes in the unit, so fewer support issues....
>
> THEN...consider the customer satisfaction value (hard to derive a $
> figure for but it's defiante a non-zero amount.)
>
> Personally, I have no problem installing a thermometer -I have the tools,
> skills and inclination to do so. However, from a business perspective, I
> see this as a weakness in the product and I recognize that not everyone
> who's into 'Q' is interested in drilling holes and monting thermos
> (they're probably more interested in Q'in).
>
> In the end, Weber, in it's infinite wisdom, does not see fit to improve
> the product and they may have sound business reasons for it. They should
> realize though that the public does not know (or care) what those reasons
> are and overall, it just makes them look 'less good' (I say that because
> I don't think the lack of a thermo make the WSM a BAD product, or Webber
> a BAD company, just one that could easily improve).

The bigger picture is that Weber sells FAR more gas grills and kettles
than they do WSM's. The "demand" is too small to warrant spending money
on improving a product that doesn't provide a great percentage of
revenue. If a competitor came out with a great smoker at that price
point WITH a thermometer, maybe Weber would change its stance but at
this point it isn't likely.

I am highly satisfied with my WSM. Would I be more satisfied if it came
with a stock thermometer? Unlikely.
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

frohe

Kyle Tucker wrote:
> Now I can barbecue as a side task
> on weekends while doing other things, rather than it being the main
> thing.

Oh, man. Have you got things wrong. This is the order of things to be
done.

1) Drink lots of cold beer
2) Do them other things that'll get SWMBO off ya back while ya drink more
beer
3) Check the WSM now & then and grab a few more beers while ya at it.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

bbq

Mark wrote:

> In article >, ing
> says...
>
>>Mark > wrote in message
.. .

>>>True, but his question is still a good one: Why *hasn't* webber gone to
>>>the very ovious improvement of installing a thermometer who's quality is
>>>commensurate with that of the WSM ?
>>>
>>>Surely the added customer satisfaction would be worth the extra $5 - $10
>>>or so it would cost to add a quality thermometer (bought in production
>>>volumes).
>>>
>>>To have such an obvious omission for so long as to have multiple websites
>>>chronicling the shortcomings of the product and NOT doing anything about
>>>it tells me either a) they are stupid or (more likely): b) they don't
>>>care because people will buy the product anyhow.
>>>

>>I disagree. You act as if Weber would add the thermometer without passing
>>the cost on to the consumer. So the WSM is going to cost more *and* Weber
>>is going to decide the quality and placement of the thermometer.
>>
>>I would rather have the money in my pocket, spend it on the thermometer that
>>I feel best suits my needs, and mount that thermometer in the way I find
>>most suitable.
>>

> Look at the bigger picture. Webber is going to buy *thousands* of
> thermometers; they can buy a unit that would retail at $15 and put it in
> the WSM for well under $10. They can find the right mounting method,
> ensure the proble length is optimal, etc, etc. Than, there's no risk of
> the customer drilling holes in the unit, so fewer support issues....
>
> THEN...consider the customer satisfaction value (hard to derive a $
> figure for but it's defiante a non-zero amount.)
>
> Personally, I have no problem installing a thermometer -I have the tools,
> skills and inclination to do so. However, from a business perspective, I
> see this as a weakness in the product and I recognize that not everyone
> who's into 'Q' is interested in drilling holes and monting thermos
> (they're probably more interested in Q'in).
>
> In the end, Weber, in it's infinite wisdom, does not see fit to improve
> the product and they may have sound business reasons for it. They should
> realize though that the public does not know (or care) what those reasons
> are and overall, it just makes them look 'less good' (I say that because
> I don't think the lack of a thermo make the WSM a BAD product, or Webber
> a BAD company, just one that could easily improve).

I can certainly agree that it appears to us as a silly reason that Weber
does not include a thermometer. But businesses make what seems to us
stupid decisions and stick around and be successful. Of course, some
stupid decisions bring some to bankruptcy too.

The WSM is the cadillac of the bullet type smokers. And its' current
price reflects that. I do not recall seeing a bullet type smoker over
$100, except for the WSM. Is Weber trying to compete the WSM against
the other bullet type smokers that cost less than $100? Or are they
trying to compete it against some lower end smokers with an offset
firebox? I don't know. This is a question for their marketing department.

I do know that the WSM is hard to locate around here. Home Depot,
Target, Walmart and other stores of these types do not carry it. A
store near me that specializes in BBQ equipment carry's them, but they
do not carry much inventory.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Jeanine Hoffman

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 01:04:47 GMT, bbq > wrote:

>Mark wrote:
>
>> In article >, ing
>> says...
>>
>>>Mark > wrote in message
. ..

>>>I disagree. You act as if Weber would add the thermometer without passing
>>>the cost on to the consumer. So the WSM is going to cost more *and* Weber
>>>is going to decide the quality and placement of the thermometer.
>>>
>>>I would rather have the money in my pocket, spend it on the thermometer that
>>>I feel best suits my needs, and mount that thermometer in the way I find
>>>most suitable.
>>>

>> Look at the bigger picture. Webber is going to buy *thousands* of
>> thermometers; they can buy a unit that would retail at $15 and put it in
>> the WSM for well under $10. They can find the right mounting method,
>> ensure the proble length is optimal, etc, etc. Than, there's no risk of
>> the customer drilling holes in the unit, so fewer support issues....
>>
>> THEN...consider the customer satisfaction value (hard to derive a $
>> figure for but it's defiante a non-zero amount.)
>>
>> Personally, I have no problem installing a thermometer -I have the tools,
>> skills and inclination to do so. However, from a business perspective, I
>> see this as a weakness in the product and I recognize that not everyone
>> who's into 'Q' is interested in drilling holes and monting thermos
>> (they're probably more interested in Q'in).

Hell just toss a thermometer in one of the vent holes, does the same
basic thing and no drilling. Doesn't affect my Q and the thing is
dead on accurate and cost $5.00. No big deal, sand or water or no
pan, now those are things to debate ;-)

Jeanine and her lil smokin' joey!
Clifford Payne

It's funny to read your post. I had been thinking about starting a thread
on exactly this topic. Lack of a thermometer kept me from buying a wsm
years ago, before I discovered this list and the possible workarounds.

Maybe an e-mail campaign?
cliff, from pgh

"Mark" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> > Billy B wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:28:14 -0600, "Dave K."

> > > Well, I'd say the Chargriller is a good one for under $200, but the
> > > built-in thermometer don't work worth a damn, so I guess that wouldn't
> > > work for you either.

> > Well now, that's a good criteria for buying a smoker, buy the one with

the
> > best $12 part.
> > Do you buy the car with the most cup holders as the pimary criteria?
> >
> > All stock thermometer's should be treated as crap until you know

different
> > anyway.

> True, but his question is still a good one: Why *hasn't* webber gone to
> the very ovious improvement of installing a thermometer who's quality is
> commensurate with that of the WSM ?
>
> Surely the added customer satisfaction would be worth the extra $5 - $10
> or so it would cost to add a quality thermometer (bought in production
> volumes).
>
> To have such an obvious omission for so long as to have multiple websites
> chronicling the shortcomings of the product and NOT doing anything about
> it tells me either a) they are stupid or (more likely): b) they don't
> care because people will buy the product anyhow.
>
> Either way you slice it, it's poor business.
>
> --
> Mark

(remove the obvious to reply)

pmcmillan

Portable Kitchen Cast Aluminum grills are great for smoking for ~$250.

pastry bag alternative? Don Martinich General Cooking 10 29-05-2010 01:35 AM
Alternative Living HL Barbecue 2 07-03-2006 01:13 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM
WSM or alternative smoker? On a budget RZ Barbecue 6 18-06-2004 12:55 AM