Old 25-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Peggy

Default Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Why weren't you boo hooing about this when he started pushing his line of
sauces, salsas, coffee beans, etc. etc. ? How is that any different? The
bottom line is, the product is still good, even though it's sold to a mass
market. I'm lucky enough to live an hour from Frontera Grill and
Topolobampo, but not everyone is - so there you go. His pumpkin seed hot
sauce is absolutely great, for instance. Anyway, I'm sure some of you food
snobs out there wouldn't be caught dead in a Burger King - but the sandwich
(other than the chicken being a bit salty) is really rather good. He
shouldn't be a bit ashamed of putting his name on it - it's probably the
best thing on the menu at a fast food place in years. Put on your dark
sunglasses, slink through the drive through, and actually try it before you
rip him to shreds.
Peg
PS. Sometimes a Whopper tastes better than fois gras... depending on the
circumstances

"Jim Lane" wrote in message
BW wrote:

That celebrities are marketable is well established, your post offers
nothing new in that regard. And that some US celebs like to cherry
pick where they whore themselves so their adoring public doesn't view
them differently is nothing new either.

As this is a Mexican food group and Bayless is without question
regarded as a leader among traditional Mexican cuisine chefs his
appearance for Burger King makes this a different discussion than say,
Leonardo DeCaprio appearing in a Japanese Ralph Lauren commercial.

Don't you agree?

In article , Jim Lane
wrote:

Steve Wertz wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:29:07 GMT, BW
wrote:

Any other group member as shocked by me to see Ric Bayless shilling
Burger King chicken sandwiches in their latest advertising campaign?\

How about Emerril and his new toothpaste commercials? Colgate(?) has
a new line of flavored toothpastes, and Emerril goes "bam" when he
tastes it, and then comments to himself in the mirror - "This is
kicking it up a notch!".

gag

I haven't seen the Bayliss commercial yet.

-sw

Celebrities are marketable. Get over it. Were you overseas anywhere, you
would see far more of this than you can imagine. At least Bayless and
Emeril are not trying to hide themselves by appearing only overseas.

jim

You bias is reflected in your use of the term "whore." You are one as am
I, we all sell ourselves for salaries or commissions. The difference is
your opinion. Selling is selling. It is about the money. Bayless, Emeril
or Pamela or DeCaprio. You complain, Bayless laughs his ass off on the
way to the bank.

Better yet, protest! Quit eating Mexican food in protest and abandon
this group.

jim

Old 25-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Jay P Francis

Rick Bayless, selling out to Burger King one plate at a time. I tried the
sandwich twice as any good critic would, and it is disgusting. As I said
earlier, if they had just used a bolillo or a telera instead of that gummy
commerically produced bread the sandwich might have worked.
Old 25-10-2003, 04:44 PM
tejas

"Jay P Francis" wrote in message
Rick Bayless, selling out to Burger King one plate at a time. I tried the
sandwich twice as any good critic would, and it is disgusting. As I said
earlier, if they had just used a bolillo or a telera instead of that gummy
commerically produced bread the sandwich might have worked.

Well, where does one get a decent bolillo where there are no panaderias?

Ted (an indecent "bolillo")

Seguro que hell yes!

Old 25-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Douglas S. Ladden

tejas on 25 Oct 2003 suggested:

"Jay P Francis" wrote in message
Rick Bayless, selling out to Burger King one plate at a time. I
tried the sandwich twice as any good critic would, and it is
disgusting. As I said earlier, if they had just used a bolillo or a
telera instead of that gummy commerically produced bread the
sandwich might have worked.

Well, where does one get a decent bolillo where there are no
panaderias?

Yes, where??? I miss bolillos. I would really like some so that I
can make some molletes. Man that sounds good for breakfast right now.
Now, I am very hungry, with nothing to eat. Argh!

--Douglas
Old 25-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Jay P Francis

From the same source that supplies their hamburger buns. Making teleras isn't
rocket science. The cool thing about bread is that it is just chemistry. They
could make some subtle adjustments to their flour and water ratio, and their
method of proofing and come out with a very respectable "baguette".

Old 25-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Jay P Francis

Douglas, how up to speed are you on your breadmaking skills? I think Diana
Kennedy tackles bolillos in her latest cookbook.
Old 26-10-2003, 01:08 AM
Jim Lane

wrote:

[...]

Methinks you replied to the wrong person.

jim

Old 26-10-2003, 01:24 AM
Douglas S. Ladden

Jay P Francis on 25 Oct 2003 suggested:

Douglas, how up to speed are you on your breadmaking skills? I think
Diana Kennedy tackles bolillos in her latest cookbook.

I'm much better at eating than cooking. With the exception of making
great chocolate chip cookies, I am lucky to be able to cook hot dogs. I
do have a bread machine, but it doesn't have a "bolillo" setting on it.

--Douglas
Old 28-10-2003, 02:08 AM
Peter Dy

"Jim Lane" wrote in message
Peggy wrote:

[...]
Methinks you replied to the wrong person.

And if she were perhaps replying to me, at least in part, it's too late;
that thread is dead.

Peter

Shameless self-anggrandizement Janet Bostwick General Cooking 115 22-06-2013 07:15 AM
Bit of shameless advertising Big Tom General Cooking 0 14-10-2005 10:01 AM
Shameless plug Musashi Sushi 5 21-08-2004 02:46 AM
Shameless Self-Promotion maxine in ri General Cooking 20 14-08-2004 12:55 AM