Musashi

Default Shameless plug

If you are in the Riverdale area of NY a friend of mine
opened a sushi restaurant, now just past the one year
anniversary.
Yoshioka san is an itamae of the old school having worked
in London and Hawaii, and more recently at Hatsuhana in
NYC and Azuma Zushi in Hartsdale.
A real hole in the wall but excellent authentic sushi.
Popular mostly with the Japanese in Westchester and unknown to most.
Specialities in the zensai (appetizers) include
Unagi Doufu (steamed with sake) and Anago no Shiro Yaki
(Grilled anago).

Yoshi Zushi
3722 Riverdale Ave, Bronx
TEL 718-549-2540 Closed Mondays

Cheers
Musashi

Lori Lee

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:42:31 GMT, "Musashi" >
wrote:

>If you are in the Riverdale area of NY a friend of mine
>opened a sushi restaurant, now just past the one year
>anniversary.
>Yoshioka san is an itamae of the old school having worked
>in London and Hawaii, and more recently at Hatsuhana in
>NYC and Azuma Zushi in Hartsdale.
>A real hole in the wall but excellent authentic sushi.
>Popular mostly with the Japanese in Westchester and unknown to most.
>Specialities in the zensai (appetizers) include
>Unagi Doufu (steamed with sake) and Anago no Shiro Yaki
>(Grilled anago).
>
>Yoshi Zushi
>3722 Riverdale Ave, Bronx
>TEL 718-549-2540 Closed Mondays
>
>Cheers
>Musashi

By far, the best sushi in Riverdale. The only place in town to get
ikura oroshi (my favorite starter), the best variety of fish, and
amazing temaki. The only thing lacking is local delivery. BTW, what
is the Kyoto style appetizer dish called "ebi shinjo"?

Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Musashi

"Lori Lee" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:42:31 GMT, "Musashi" >
> wrote:
>
> >If you are in the Riverdale area of NY a friend of mine
> >opened a sushi restaurant, now just past the one year
> >anniversary.
> >Yoshioka san is an itamae of the old school having worked
> >in London and Hawaii, and more recently at Hatsuhana in
> >NYC and Azuma Zushi in Hartsdale.
> >A real hole in the wall but excellent authentic sushi.
> >Popular mostly with the Japanese in Westchester and unknown to most.
> >Specialities in the zensai (appetizers) include
> >Unagi Doufu (steamed with sake) and Anago no Shiro Yaki
> >(Grilled anago).
> >
> >Yoshi Zushi
> >3722 Riverdale Ave, Bronx
> >TEL 718-549-2540 Closed Mondays
> >
> >Cheers
> >Musashi
> >

> By far, the best sushi in Riverdale. The only place in town to get
> ikura oroshi (my favorite starter), the best variety of fish, and
> amazing temaki. The only thing lacking is local delivery. BTW, what
> is the Kyoto style appetizer dish called "ebi shinjo"?

Yoshiokasan suggested I try the Ebi Shinjo but I had gotten so stuffed from
everything
else that I did not try it. Next time.
Ebi Shinjo is basically a chopped shrimp dumpling. Most often it is fried as
tempura,
or appears with a broth, or is used in a clear soup (suimono). Which of
these is served
at Yoshi Zushi I do not know.
Japanese cooking is often broken up into Kanto style (eastern-includes
Tokyo) and Kansai (western) style.
A dish in Kanto style that has a fairly strong soy sauce taste may not in
Kansai style, which may emphasize the dashi flavor more than the soy sauce.
And within the Kansai style, Kyoto style
indicates a milder subtler (some say more refined) flavoring than all
others. Also there is a whole
"Kyoto Cuisine" of dishes and ingredients used solely in Kyoto cooking.

Musashi

Michael

"Musashi" > wrote in message
> And within the Kansai style, Kyoto style
> indicates a milder subtler (some say more refined) flavoring than all
> others. Also there is a whole
> "Kyoto Cuisine" of dishes and ingredients used solely in Kyoto cooking.

Having worked w/ a company based in Nara for twelve years I would have to
say that it is more refined. Best meals I have ever had were in Nara or
Kyoto.

Michael

"Musashi" > wrote in message
> And within the Kansai style, Kyoto style
> indicates a milder subtler (some say more refined) flavoring than all
> others. Also there is a whole
> "Kyoto Cuisine" of dishes and ingredients used solely in Kyoto cooking.

Having worked w/ a company based in Nara for twelve years I would have to
say that it is more refined. Best meals I have ever had were in Nara or
Kyoto.

Jayde

"Musashi" > wrote in message

| Yoshiokasan suggested I try the Ebi Shinjo but I had gotten so stuffed
from
| everything
| else that I did not try it. Next time.
| Ebi Shinjo is basically a chopped shrimp dumpling. Most often it is fried
as
| tempura,
| or appears with a broth, or is used in a clear soup (suimono). Which of
| these is served
| at Yoshi Zushi I do not know.
| Japanese cooking is often broken up into Kanto style (eastern-includes
| Tokyo) and Kansai (western) style.
| A dish in Kanto style that has a fairly strong soy sauce taste may not in
| Kansai style, which may emphasize the dashi flavor more than the soy
sauce.
| And within the Kansai style, Kyoto style
| indicates a milder subtler (some say more refined) flavoring than all
| others. Also there is a whole
| "Kyoto Cuisine" of dishes and ingredients used solely in Kyoto cooking.
| Musashi

Kansai cuisine blows my mind; the attention to detail in a course-meal is
downright zen-like!
I'll never forget how delicious everything was.

~Jayde