FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Ric Bayless-shameless sellout? (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14087-ric-bayless-shameless-sellout.html)

BW 08-10-2003 02:29 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Any other group member as shocked by me to see Ric Bayless shilling
Burger King chicken sandwiches in their latest advertising campaign? I
really enjoyed his books, his PBS show and his Frontera Grill which I
was fortunate enough to visit on a trip to Chicago. He had huitlacoche
on the menu--pretty rare in Chicago. Everyone has to pay the rent, I
suppose.

It could have been worse, he could have been pushing Mexican bisquits.

Linda 08-10-2003 03:25 PM

"BW" > wrote in message
news:081020030726406881%brook.nospam.watts@comcast .net...
> Any other group member as shocked by me to see Ric Bayless shilling
> Burger King chicken sandwiches in their latest advertising campaign? I
> really enjoyed his books, his PBS show and his Frontera Grill which I
> was fortunate enough to visit on a trip to Chicago. He had huitlacoche
> on the menu--pretty rare in Chicago. Everyone has to pay the rent, I
> suppose.
>
> It could have been worse, he could have been pushing Mexican bisquits.

As in "old fashioned biscuits"?

Linda

Jim Lane 08-10-2003 10:57 PM

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:29:07 GMT, BW >
> wrote:
>

>>Any other group member as shocked by me to see Ric Bayless shilling
>>Burger King chicken sandwiches in their latest advertising campaign?\

> How about Emerril and his new toothpaste commercials? Colgate(?) has
> a new line of flavored toothpastes, and Emerril goes "bam" when he
> tastes it, and then comments to himself in the mirror - "This is
> kicking it up a notch!".
>
> <gag>
>
> I haven't seen the Bayliss commercial yet.
>
> -sw

Celebrities are marketable. Get over it. Were you overseas anywhere, you
would see far more of this than you can imagine. At least Bayless and
Emeril are not trying to hide themselves by appearing only overseas.

jim

BW 08-10-2003 11:12 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

That celebrities are marketable is well established, your post offers
nothing new in that regard. And that some US celebs like to cherry
pick where they whore themselves so their adoring public doesn't view
them differently is nothing new either.

As this is a Mexican food group and Bayless is without question
regarded as a leader among traditional Mexican cuisine chefs his
appearance for Burger King makes this a different discussion than say,
Leonardo DeCaprio appearing in a Japanese Ralph Lauren commercial.

Don't you agree?

In article >, Jim Lane

Jay P Francis 09-10-2003 03:06 AM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

I sure am. Based on his street credibility, I actually tried the sandwich.
This could have been really good, but the bread was disgusting. No way this
was a "baguette". It was some sort of gummy commercial bread product. I would
have expected someone like Rick to make sure any product he was endorsing
didn't taste awful.

And also...it's a "Santa Fe" sandwich. Why are they doing the remote from Los
Angeles?

It isn't like he needs the money.

The sandwich would have been awesome if they had done it with a bolillo or a
telera.

A1 WBarfieldsr 09-10-2003 03:54 AM

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:29:07 GMT, BW >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Any other group member as shocked by me to see Ric Bayless shilling
> >>Burger King chicken sandwiches in their latest advertising campaign?\

> > Rick Bayless is a two time champion chef. He didn't get to be a

champion chef by cooking ONLY Mexican food. You don't think he might enjoy
a hamburger or chicken sandwich like millions of other people. Come on use
your head. You act like Jesus Christ was advertising for Burger King
instead of a chef.
--
William Barfieldsr

A1 WBarfieldsr 09-10-2003 04:32 AM

"Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> I sure am. Based on his street credibility, I actually tried the

sandwich.
> This could have been really good, but the bread was disgusting. No way

this
> was a "baguette". It was some sort of gummy commercial bread product. I

would
> have expected someone like Rick to make sure any product he was endorsing
> didn't taste awful.
>
> And also...it's a "Santa Fe" sandwich. Why are they doing the remote

from Los
> Angeles?
>
> It isn't like he needs the money.
>
> The sandwich would have been awesome if they had done it with a bolillo

or a
> telera.

Perhaps you could write Burger King and they might try it. He wasn't
advertising for himself, he was paid by Burger King. Just like Donald
Trump and his ex-wife were paid over a million dollars each to advertise
for Pizza Hut
--
William Barfieldsr

Jack Sloan 09-10-2003 07:05 AM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

"Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> I sure am. Based on his street credibility, I actually tried the

sandwich.
> This could have been really good, but the bread was disgusting. No way

this
> was a "baguette". It was some sort of gummy commercial bread product. I

would
> have expected someone like Rick to make sure any product he was endorsing
> didn't taste awful.
>
> And also...it's a "Santa Fe" sandwich. Why are they doing the remote from

Los
> Angeles?
>
> It isn't like he needs the money.
>
> The sandwich would have been awesome if they had done it with a bolillo or

> telera.

Kinda makes you wonder if he's lied to us about anything else, doesn't it?
Jack

BW 09-10-2003 02:02 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Yes, but Trump and his tart didn't gain their fame as pizza chefs, if
they did then your comparison to Pizza Hut would hold up.

In article >, A1 WBarfieldsr

Jim Lane 09-10-2003 07:23 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Steve Wertz wrote:

snip

> A chef of any standing should not be doing Burger King commercials.
> Period. Apparently you don't see the irony in this. Oh well.

snip

> -sw

And by what metric are you saying this? Personal opinion? So much for
that, everyone has one. And something else that smells as bad.

jim

Jim Lane 09-10-2003 07:26 PM

BW wrote:

> That celebrities are marketable is well established, your post offers
> nothing new in that regard. And that some US celebs like to cherry
> pick where they whore themselves so their adoring public doesn't view
> them differently is nothing new either.
>
> As this is a Mexican food group and Bayless is without question
> regarded as a leader among traditional Mexican cuisine chefs his
> appearance for Burger King makes this a different discussion than say,
> Leonardo DeCaprio appearing in a Japanese Ralph Lauren commercial.
>
> Don't you agree?
>

> In article >, Jim Lane
> > wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz wrote:

>>>How about Emerril and his new toothpaste commercials? Colgate(?) has
>>>a new line of flavored toothpastes, and Emerril goes "bam" when he
>>>tastes it, and then comments to himself in the mirror - "This is
>>>kicking it up a notch!".
>>>
>>><gag>
>>>
>>>I haven't seen the Bayliss commercial yet.
>>>
>>>-sw

>>Celebrities are marketable. Get over it. Were you overseas anywhere, you
>>would see far more of this than you can imagine. At least Bayless and
>>Emeril are not trying to hide themselves by appearing only overseas.
>>

>>jim

You bias is reflected in your use of the term "whore." You are one as am
I, we all sell ourselves for salaries or commissions. The difference is
your opinion. Selling is selling. It is about the money. Bayless, Emeril
or Pamela or DeCaprio. You complain, Bayless laughs his ass off on the
way to the bank.

Better yet, protest! Quit eating Mexican food in protest and abandon
this group.

jim

Peter Dy 10-10-2003 02:48 AM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
[...]
> You bias is reflected in your use of the term "whore." You are one as am
> I, we all sell ourselves for salaries or commissions. The difference is
> your opinion. Selling is selling. It is about the money. Bayless, Emeril
> or Pamela or DeCaprio. You complain, Bayless laughs his ass off on the
> way to the bank.

Huh? He is an authority on quality Mexican food now appearing in a
commercial for a crappy fast food product because of that expert status.
None of us imagine that Carrot Top knows anything about telecommunications
when he appears in telephone service commercials. In short, Bayless'
authority and trustworthiness on the question of Mexican food is undermined.

> Better yet, protest! Quit eating Mexican food in protest and abandon
> this group.

?? No, I just have much less incentive to purchase his books. I liked
Zarela and Kennedy better anyway. So, yeah, guess you could call it a
protest.

Peter

Jim Lane 10-10-2003 08:32 AM

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:23:39 -0700, Jim Lane >
> wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>>snip
>>

>>>A chef of any standing should not be doing Burger King commercials.
>>>Period. Apparently you don't see the irony in this. Oh well.
>>>

>>snip
>>
>>>-sw

>>And by what metric are you saying this? Personal opinion? So much for
>>that, everyone has one. And something else that smells as bad.

> Are you back again for your bi-yearly flamefest trolling? Why don't
> you dissappear for another 6 months.
>
> -sw

Hmmm seems I have been here a bit more often than you the past few months.

Did you have something to say?

jim

Jay P Francis 11-10-2003 03:18 AM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

I don't mind him doing Burger King commercials. I eat and enjoy fast food, too.
But this sandwich is so disgusting that no one who cares about good tasting
food should endorse it.

tejas 12-10-2003 05:39 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Doesn't he have a PhD in Anthropology or Folklore from Northwestern or U of
Chicago? I seem to recall that he got into the restaurant biz since he
couldn't find work in academia.

I know several Anthro PhDs who like to be doing half as well as he's doing.

"Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> I don't mind him doing Burger King commercials. I eat and enjoy fast food,

too.
> But this sandwich is so disgusting that no one who cares about good

tasting
> food should endorse it.

But I find his tv personna to be way too chirpy.

--
Ted Samsel

http://tbsamsel.home.infionline.net

Peggy 25-10-2003 03:58 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Why weren't you boo hooing about this when he started pushing his line of
sauces, salsas, coffee beans, etc. etc. ? How is that any different? The
bottom line is, the product is still good, even though it's sold to a mass
market. I'm lucky enough to live an hour from Frontera Grill and
Topolobampo, but not everyone is - so there you go. His pumpkin seed hot
sauce is absolutely great, for instance. Anyway, I'm sure some of you food
snobs out there wouldn't be caught dead in a Burger King - but the sandwich
(other than the chicken being a bit salty) is really rather good. He
shouldn't be a bit ashamed of putting his name on it - it's probably the
best thing on the menu at a fast food place in years. Put on your dark
sunglasses, slink through the drive through, and actually try it before you
rip him to shreds.
Peg
PS. Sometimes a Whopper tastes better than fois gras... depending on the
circumstances

Jay P Francis 25-10-2003 04:12 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Rick Bayless, selling out to Burger King one plate at a time. I tried the
sandwich twice as any good critic would, and it is disgusting. As I said
earlier, if they had just used a bolillo or a telera instead of that gummy
commerically produced bread the sandwich might have worked.

tejas 25-10-2003 04:44 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

"Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> Rick Bayless, selling out to Burger King one plate at a time. I tried the
> sandwich twice as any good critic would, and it is disgusting. As I said
> earlier, if they had just used a bolillo or a telera instead of that gummy
> commerically produced bread the sandwich might have worked.

Well, where does one get a decent bolillo where there are no panaderias?

Ted (an indecent "bolillo")

Seguro que hell yes!

Douglas S. Ladden 25-10-2003 07:54 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

tejas on 25 Oct 2003 suggested:

> "Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
>> Rick Bayless, selling out to Burger King one plate at a time. I
>> tried the sandwich twice as any good critic would, and it is
>> disgusting. As I said earlier, if they had just used a bolillo or a
>> telera instead of that gummy commerically produced bread the
>> sandwich might have worked.

> Well, where does one get a decent bolillo where there are no
> panaderias?

Yes, where??? I miss bolillos. I would really like some so that I
can make some molletes. Man that sounds good for breakfast right now.
Now, I am very hungry, with nothing to eat. Argh!

--Douglas

Jay P Francis 25-10-2003 10:39 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

From the same source that supplies their hamburger buns. Making teleras isn't
rocket science. The cool thing about bread is that it is just chemistry. They
could make some subtle adjustments to their flour and water ratio, and their
method of proofing and come out with a very respectable "baguette".

Jay P Francis 25-10-2003 10:41 PM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Douglas, how up to speed are you on your breadmaking skills? I think Diana
Kennedy tackles bolillos in her latest cookbook.

Jim Lane 26-10-2003 01:08 AM

Peggy wrote:
> Why weren't you boo hooing about this when he started pushing his line of
> sauces, salsas, coffee beans, etc. etc. ? How is that any different? The
> bottom line is, the product is still good, even though it's sold to a mass
> market. I'm lucky enough to live an hour from Frontera Grill and
> Topolobampo, but not everyone is - so there you go. His pumpkin seed hot
> sauce is absolutely great, for instance. Anyway, I'm sure some of you food
> snobs out there wouldn't be caught dead in a Burger King - but the sandwich
> (other than the chicken being a bit salty) is really rather good. He
> shouldn't be a bit ashamed of putting his name on it - it's probably the
> best thing on the menu at a fast food place in years. Put on your dark
> sunglasses, slink through the drive through, and actually try it before you
> rip him to shreds.
> Peg
> PS. Sometimes a Whopper tastes better than fois gras... depending on the
> circumstances
>
> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
>>BW wrote:
>>

>>>That celebrities are marketable is well established, your post offers
>>>nothing new in that regard. And that some US celebs like to cherry
>>>pick where they whore themselves so their adoring public doesn't view
>>>them differently is nothing new either.
>>>
>>>As this is a Mexican food group and Bayless is without question
>>>regarded as a leader among traditional Mexican cuisine chefs his
>>>appearance for Burger King makes this a different discussion than say,
>>>Leonardo DeCaprio appearing in a Japanese Ralph Lauren commercial.
>>>
>>>Don't you agree?

>>You bias is reflected in your use of the term "whore." You are one as am
>>I, we all sell ourselves for salaries or commissions. The difference is
>>your opinion. Selling is selling. It is about the money. Bayless, Emeril
>>or Pamela or DeCaprio. You complain, Bayless laughs his ass off on the
>>way to the bank.
>>
>>Better yet, protest! Quit eating Mexican food in protest and abandon
>>this group.
>>

>>jim

Methinks you replied to the wrong person.

jim

Douglas S. Ladden 26-10-2003 01:24 AM

Ric Bayless-shameless sellout?

Jay P Francis on 25 Oct 2003 suggested:

> Douglas, how up to speed are you on your breadmaking skills? I think
> Diana Kennedy tackles bolillos in her latest cookbook.

I'm much better at eating than cooking. With the exception of making
great chocolate chip cookies, I am lucky to be able to cook hot dogs. I
do have a bread machine, but it doesn't have a "bolillo" setting on it.

--Douglas

Peter Dy 28-10-2003 02:08 AM

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> Peggy wrote:

[...]
> Methinks you replied to the wrong person.

And if she were perhaps replying to me, at least in part, it's too late;
that thread is dead.

Peter