Old 02-10-2003, 06:10 AM
GEEZER

Default The origins of Texas style chili

Damn you mean there were none of us "NATIVE AMERICANS " here most of the
Mexican people have Native American Blood in them

"Cuchulain Libby" wrote in message

Misschef wrote:
I humbly retract my previous statements regarding the lack of
comparison.

Misschef

Apology accepted g
It would interesting to investigate the heredity of those early cowboys.

The
towns in the Hill Country were settled by Germans, drawn by a land
speculator who had a speculative investment of 300,000 acres of worthless,
Indian-infested land he sold to the homefolk as a Paradise. He bought it
sight unseen. Sort of like Florida swampland only prettier. The cattle
coming up from the Nueces on their way to market ate all the grasses up
there, leaving room for the cedar to take over.
Unless the Chili Queens predate the immigrants.

-Hound

Old 03-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Cuchulain Libby

"GEEZER" wrote in message
Why don't you enter it into a chili cook off

Because my chili has more chiles than paprika? And comino...

-Hound

Old 03-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Cuchulain Libby

"GEEZER" wrote in message
Damn you mean there were none of us "NATIVE AMERICANS " here most of the
Mexican people have Native American Blood in them

That's a different take on chili. And one I support. The Aztlans/Aztecs had
a stew...some had cocoa, some didn't.
My homage to this is 'Hogan's Famous'. Includes corn, tomatoes, cocoa
powder, 3 beans etc. just no potatoes. It ain't CASI-approved chili but it's
damn good.

-Hound

Old 13-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Charles Gifford

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message

The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in a
group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither. Other
animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than the
muskox and takin none are actually related.

Charlie

Old 13-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
wrote:

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message

The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
animal....

Sombody should have pointed this out to Brewster Higley before they
made "Home on the Range" the State Song of Kansas... ;-)

http://www.50states.com/songs/kansas.htm

Don't get me started on their use of the word "buffalo" either -
supposedly there are no buffalo in the Americas, either.

-sw

For there not being any, I sure have been 'buffalo'd' more times than I care
to remember!

Jack

Old 13-10-2003, 09:11 PM
A1 WBarfieldsr

news

wrote:

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message

The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

Don't get me started on their use of the word "buffalo" either -
supposedly there are no buffalo in the Americas, either.

-sw

For there not being any, I sure have been 'buffalo'd' more times than I
care
to remember!

Jack

I take it that is the same as what comes from the south end of a north

bound bull buffalo, LOL.

Old 13-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Jack Sloan

wrote:

[...]

I'd bet you've been buffalo'd bison of the best buffaloers around.
Jack

Old 14-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Jack Schidt®

"Jack Sloan" wrote in message

I'd bet you've been buffalo'd bison of the best buffaloers around.
Jack

Perfect!!

Old 14-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
wrote:

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote

The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in a
group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither. Other
animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than the
muskox and takin none are actually related.

And someone called *me* an obsessive fuss-budget! :-) Given the
number of Antelope counties and towns, and states requiring "antelope"
hunting permits, let's give Wayne a break and acknowledge that while
the "Antelocapra americana" may not be the same critter as an African
antelope, not many Texans are making "pronghorn" stew.

Heaven knows what "Texas style" chile means. As you well know, New
Mexico is the source of all authentic chile/chilli recipes and foods.
With or without antelope. :-)

Old 15-10-2003, 05:43 AM
GEEZER

Hoss in Texas we make chili out of Chicken, opossum, rabbit, coon,
armadillo, if its meat me cook it!!!

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote

Old 15-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Charles Gifford

wrote:

And someone called *me* an obsessive fuss-budget! :-) Given the
number of Antelope counties and towns, and states requiring "antelope"
hunting permits, let's give Wayne a break and acknowledge that while
the "Antelocapra americana" may not be the same critter as an African
antelope, not many Texans are making "pronghorn" stew.

My dear Frogleg, I wasn't criticizing Wayne. Mammalian taxonomy is one of
the few things that I know something about. This gave me a chance to
contribute here whilst learning from others. Mr Durrell would certainly
approve! ;-)

Charlie

Old 15-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Frogleg

"Frogleg" wrote

wrote:

And someone called *me* an obsessive fuss-budget! :-) Given the
number of Antelope counties and towns, and states requiring "antelope"
hunting permits, let's give Wayne a break and acknowledge that while
the "Antelocapra americana" may not be the same critter as an African
antelope, not many Texans are making "pronghorn" stew.

My dear Frogleg, I wasn't criticizing Wayne. Mammalian taxonomy is one of
the few things that I know something about. This gave me a chance to
contribute here whilst learning from others. Mr Durrell would certainly
approve! ;-)

Aww, now you've hit one of my soft spots. RIP, Gerry. I *did* notice
that your post was informative, not critical. However, having hunted
(or at least been in the truck) around Magdalena, NM, what my
companions said they were after were "antelope." I do, however,
appreciate your exactitude. :-)
Old 19-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Nixon, D

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message

The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in a
group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither. Other
animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than the
muskox and takin none are actually related.

Charlie

Oh yeah?? Well if that be true, tell me this-------------------- why would
"where the deer and the ANTELOPE play" be in the words of the
most popular song of the 20th Century !!!! ???? I'm talkin'
Home on the Range !

McDave

Old 19-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Douglas S. Ladden

Nixon, D on 19 Oct 2003 suggested:

[...]

Because songwriters (a) are ignorant, (b) take artistic license,
(c) couldn't get "goat antelopes" to fit into the rhythm and meter of
the song, or (d) didn't like the way "muskox" rolled off the tongue.
*grin*

--Douglas
Old 20-10-2003, 02:20 AM
Jack Sloan

"Douglas S. Ladden" wrote in message
. 16...
Nixon, D on 19 Oct 2003 suggested:

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message

The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef
and although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn
- "Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any
living animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes
placed in a group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they
are neither. Other animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and
muskox. Other than the muskox and takin none are actually related.

Charlie

I don't know much about these animals except nobody I know has eaten one
after shooting it for a wall mount. I also know they really like Oreo
cookies. I stopped somewhere on a fenceline around Post , Texas and fed
Oreos to a herd of these antelopes who stopped to look at me. Really ****ed
my 2 little girls off bad...they wanted the cookies for themselves.
Jack

Texas style smoker BBQ here in Oz PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 11 26-02-2008 03:33 AM
Low-carb Texas-style Chili International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 31-12-2005 04:06 AM
Texas style ribs Tim Recipes 0 23-04-2005 12:13 PM
Texas-Style Chili Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-02-2005 12:42 PM
Texas Style Chili Old Magic1 Mexican Cooking 3 31-01-2005 03:08 PM