Nixon, D

Default The origins of Texas style chili

"James A. Finley" > wrote in message

> "Nixon, D" > wrote in message

> beef
> > > and

conquest,

never

this--------------------
> > why

> > roaming

of

> > > A one armed Okie can't pick much fruit in California.
> > > Kack<G>

> > You're sure right about that.... particularly one who cain't
> > tell an Cantaloupe from a Antelope !!
> >
> > McDave
> >

> No one has mentioned the Texas Jackalope.
>
> Jim

No, they haven't. But, I had one back in my OKIE days.
Actually, I bred it myself. Turned out to be a cross between a Jackass
and a Jack Rabbit. And, when it died, we used its skeleton for
a Jack-o-lantern.......

Saying of the Day------ "Always carry a small flask of whiskey in
case of snakebite.
Furthermore, always carry a small snake."

I guess I better quit this cross-posting. Many on this newsgroup get
all "quivvered up" when a guy cross posts! It's considered worse than
cross-dressing !

McDave, OKIE At Large

Frogleg

I first began reading (some) usenet groups shortly after they began in
the late 70s/early 80s. The subject of ingredients, methods, and
authencities of chile/chilli/chilie has consistently been one of the
most prolific generators of discussion since then. There *is* no
original concept. Humans stew whatever's available together -- meat,
veg, grain -- whatever. In his original post, Wayne mentioned seeking
"old timer" recollection. Well, since capsicums of various sorts have
been grown and eaten in the Americas for thousands of years, a *real*
old timer might report "chile -- tasty!" Or rather "green thing tasty;
also good when red -- let's add to bean pot." It's sort of like
asking the "origin" of salting foods, or adding sweeteners.
Chili/chile/chilli isn't an invention. It's an evolution. Peppers must
surely have been one of the most welcome exports from the new world
(like tomatoes and potatoes) considering their rapid inclusion in
world cuisine.

Texas style smoker BBQ here in Oz PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 11 26-02-2008 03:33 AM
Low-carb Texas-style Chili International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 31-12-2005 04:06 AM
Texas style ribs Tim Recipes 0 23-04-2005 12:13 PM
Texas-Style Chili Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-02-2005 12:42 PM
Texas Style Chili Old Magic1 Mexican Cooking 3 31-01-2005 03:08 PM