Cuchulain Libby

Default The origins of Texas style chili

GEEZER wrote:
> Hay HOUND aint no way Goulash and chili are the same, and you don't
> put beans in it, you put them on the side=====GEEZER

Didn't say they were. Said they were similar enough. Like every civilization
has a flat bread. And what the hell do beans have to do with goulash or
Texas Chili?
Do you even know what goulash is? Them cowboys or their folks came from
somewhere...

-Hound

Jack Schidt®

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message

> GEEZER wrote:
> > Hay HOUND aint no way Goulash and chili are the same, and you don't
> > put beans in it, you put them on the side=====GEEZER

> Didn't say they were. Said they were similar enough. Like every

civilization
> has a flat bread. And what the hell do beans have to do with goulash or
> Texas Chili?
> Do you even know what goulash is? Them cowboys or their folks came from
> somewhere...
>
> -Hound

It's got browned meat and paprika is a chile. Why not?

Jack

Misschef

Maybe Hungarian Goulash is similar in preparation (I'll give ya that....made
it many times), but NOT similar in any other way....taste, ingredients (cept
the pork, if you use it in chili)..........saurkraut?? potatoes?? Uh, chili
doesn't come to mind here.

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jay P Francis" > wrote in message
> > Let's not forget that two chili like dished exist and may have pre-dated

> Texas
> > chili, in Northern Mexico.

> Don't forget Hungarian goulash. Very similar to chili in it's preperation.
>
> -Hound

Cuchulain Libby

"Misschef" > wrote
.... saurkraut?? potatoes?? Uh, chili
> doesn't come to mind here.

See I didn't think goulash had those things. But then I don't think chili
has beans. Sounds like you just made my case, thanks.

-Hound

The Ranger

Cuchulain Libby > wrote in message
> ... saurkraut?? potatoes?? Uh, chili doesn't come to mind here.
> >

> See I didn't think goulash had those things. But then I don't
> think chili has beans. Sounds like you just made my case, thanks.

That's certainly a head-in-the-sand close to proving a point... Next thing
you'll be expecting us to believe is it's okay to add cocoa to chili...

The Ranger

Wayne Lundberg

That would become mole when chocolate is added.

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Cuchulain Libby > wrote in message
> > ... saurkraut?? potatoes?? Uh, chili doesn't come to mind here.
> > >

> > See I didn't think goulash had those things. But then I don't
> > think chili has beans. Sounds like you just made my case, thanks.

> That's certainly a head-in-the-sand close to proving a point... Next thing
> you'll be expecting us to believe is it's okay to add cocoa to chili...
>
> The Ranger

The Ranger

Wayne Lundberg > wrote in message

> > > See I didn't think goulash had those things. But then I don't
> > > think chili has beans. Sounds like you just made my case,
> > > thanks.
> > >

> > That's certainly a head-in-the-sand close to proving a point...
> > Next thing you'll be expecting us to believe is it's okay to add
> > cocoa to chili...
> >

> That would become mole when chocolate is added.

A quick Google shows different.

The Ranger

Wayne Lundberg

Maybe. But let's go back a few centuries and to my original question
regarding the origins of chili as we know it today.

Mole goes back to pre-Columbian Mexican cooking as evidenced in many of the
the monk's writings shortly after the conquest. Primary ingredients were
turkey, a dozen varieties of dried chiles, peanuts and chocolate. Today we
add tomatoes and little green onions which were native prior to the
'discovery' of America.

Mole is also used as the basic sauce for deer, armadillo, rabbit and piglet.
So the only difference between a good Mexican mole and Texas Chili is beef.

The friars reporting on the Aztec custom of cutting the heart from the
captured warriors or selected victims, told of parts of the body being cut
from the cadaver and tossed to the multitudes bellow; who would then take
the chunks of tough warrior muscle and simmer in mole sauce for a couple of
days before scooping up the special meal with quartered corn tortillas as
spoons.

I know from personal experience the tenderizing qualities of a good mole. We
would sacrifice the oldest turkey in the flock for the upcoming feast. It
would take three days to prepare the mole sauce using the old turkey's stock
as the base liquid. It would take three days to tenderize these old birds!

So it makes sense that chili is nothing more than tough old beef left over
from the tables of the wealthy and given only to prisoners, cowboys and
vaqueros who would then use the ancient Amerindian combination of chiles to
tenderize the mix and make it palletable. Thus creating one of the greatest
dishes on the planet.

Wayne in Chula Vista
My credientials: http://www.calmexnet.org/partners/wayne.htm

Misschef

Yes, Linda. I agree wholeheartedly. Hungarian Goulash with pork and
sauerkraut is one of my favorite dishes. It was being compared to chili,
though and I couldn't see the relationship. ) Misschef

"Linda" > wrote in message

> "Misschef" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > Maybe Hungarian Goulash is similar in preparation (I'll give ya

> that....made
> > it many times), but NOT similar in any other way....taste, ingredients

> (cept
> > the pork, if you use it in chili)..........saurkraut?? potatoes?? Uh,

> chili
> > doesn't come to mind here.

> Sauerkraut goes great with pork.
>
> Linda
>
> [---]

Jack Schidt®

"Misschef" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Yes, Linda. I agree wholeheartedly. Hungarian Goulash with pork and
> sauerkraut is one of my favorite dishes. It was being compared to chili,
> though and I couldn't see the relationship. ) Misschef

Goulash is a descendent of Gulyasleves, a Hungarian beef soup.
Ingredients
6 small dried red chiles such as Cayenne or Piquin
5 Tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
1 cup flour
1 pound cubed, boneless beef chuck
2 Tablespoons bacon fat or oil
1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
4 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon fresh black pepper, coarsely ground
3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds

<similar to texas beef chile, yes?>

Here's another:

a.. 2 lb. beef chuck
b.. 1 tsp. salt
c.. 2 onions, white or yellow
d.. 2 Tbsp. lard or shortening
e.. 2 Tbsp. imported sweet paprika (most important to use real hungarian
paprika for ultimate flavor)
f.. 2 bay leaves
g.. 1 Qt. water
h.. 4 peeled and diced potatoes
i.. 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Other than Székely gulyás, which is made with pork and sauerkraut, Gulyas is
made with beef or veal.

The word "goulash" comes from a French corruption of the German corruption
of gulyas, which is Gulasch. In Germany gulaschsuppe is a close imitation
of gulyas, but not as good.

Anyway, enough non-germaine food history. In Europe they probably debate
real goulash like we debate real chili (I can hear it now..."Real goulash
DOES NOT include potatoes!)

Jack

Cuchulain Libby

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote >
> Anyway, enough non-germaine food history. In Europe they probably debate
> real goulash like we debate real chili (I can hear it now..."Real goulash
> DOES NOT include potatoes!)

My whole theorem was based on a Wolfgang Puck episode wherein he went to
Budapest and visited a goulash house. *In the kitchen* the prep was nearly
identical to chili. Whatever condiments they happen to serve it with are of
no consequence, just that he put up this chef and his preparation as
authentic goulash.

-Hound

Misschef

Thank you, Jack for pointing that out. I got my recipe from a Hungarian
neighbor of mine. She is in her 60's and has only lived in the US for about
15 years, speaks English with difficulty, and is a marvelous cook. Her
recipe for Goulash includes pork, Szeged paprika, sauerkraut and potatoes.
She calls it Szeged Goulash and swears it is the ONLY Hungarian goulash, but
I suspect the recipes in Hungary are regional, depending on the origin. As
in most countries cuisines, there are probably many, many variations on a
single recipe.

Yes, the recipe you posted is indeed quite similar to Texas Chili!! It
sounds marvelous, I will try it soon.

I humbly retract my previous statements regarding the lack of comparison.

Misschef

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Misschef" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > Yes, Linda. I agree wholeheartedly. Hungarian Goulash with pork and
> > sauerkraut is one of my favorite dishes. It was being compared to chili,
> > though and I couldn't see the relationship. ) Misschef
> >

> Goulash is a descendent of Gulyasleves, a Hungarian beef soup.
> Ingredients
> 6 small dried red chiles such as Cayenne or Piquin
> 5 Tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
> 1 cup flour
> 1 pound cubed, boneless beef chuck
> 2 Tablespoons bacon fat or oil
> 1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
> 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
> 4 cups beef broth
> 1 tablespoon fresh black pepper, coarsely ground
> 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
>
> <similar to texas beef chile, yes?>
>
> Here's another:
>
> a.. 2 lb. beef chuck
> b.. 1 tsp. salt
> c.. 2 onions, white or yellow
> d.. 2 Tbsp. lard or shortening
> e.. 2 Tbsp. imported sweet paprika (most important to use real hungarian
> paprika for ultimate flavor)
> f.. 2 bay leaves
> g.. 1 Qt. water
> h.. 4 peeled and diced potatoes
> i.. 1/4 tsp. black pepper
> Other than Székely gulyás, which is made with pork and sauerkraut, Gulyas

is
> made with beef or veal.
>
> The word "goulash" comes from a French corruption of the German corruption
> of gulyas, which is Gulasch. In Germany gulaschsuppe is a close imitation
> of gulyas, but not as good.
>
> Anyway, enough non-germaine food history. In Europe they probably debate
> real goulash like we debate real chili (I can hear it now..."Real goulash
> DOES NOT include potatoes!)
>
> Jack

Cuchulain Libby

Misschef wrote:
> I humbly retract my previous statements regarding the lack of
> comparison.
>
> Misschef

Apology accepted <g>
It would interesting to investigate the heredity of those early cowboys. The
towns in the Hill Country were settled by Germans, drawn by a land
speculator who had a speculative investment of 300,000 acres of worthless,
Indian-infested land he sold to the homefolk as a Paradise. He bought it
sight unseen. Sort of like Florida swampland only prettier. The cattle
coming up from the Nueces on their way to market ate all the grasses up
there, leaving room for the cedar to take over.
Unless the Chili Queens predate the immigrants.

-Hound

Jack Schidt®

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message

> Misschef wrote:
> > I humbly retract my previous statements regarding the lack of
> > comparison.
> >
> > Misschef

> Apology accepted <g>
> It would interesting to investigate the heredity of those early cowboys.

The
> towns in the Hill Country were settled by Germans, drawn by a land
> speculator who had a speculative investment of 300,000 acres of worthless,
> Indian-infested land he sold to the homefolk as a Paradise. He bought it
> sight unseen. Sort of like Florida swampland only prettier. The cattle
> coming up from the Nueces on their way to market ate all the grasses up
> there, leaving room for the cedar to take over.
> Unless the Chili Queens predate the immigrants.
>
> -Hound

Betcha anyone with a pan and a pot naturally browns meat and adds chiles.
Just a hunch, Hound.

Jack

GEEZER

Why don't you enter it into a chili cook off

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote >
> > Anyway, enough non-germaine food history. In Europe they probably

debate
> > real goulash like we debate real chili (I can hear it now..."Real

goulash
> > DOES NOT include potatoes!)

> My whole theorem was based on a Wolfgang Puck episode wherein he went to
> Budapest and visited a goulash house. *In the kitchen* the prep was nearly
> identical to chili. Whatever condiments they happen to serve it with are

of
> no consequence, just that he put up this chef and his preparation as
> authentic goulash.
>
> -Hound

GEEZER

Damn you mean there were none of us "NATIVE AMERICANS " here most of the
Mexican people have Native American Blood in them

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message

> Misschef wrote:
> > I humbly retract my previous statements regarding the lack of
> > comparison.
> >
> > Misschef

> Apology accepted <g>
> It would interesting to investigate the heredity of those early cowboys.

The
> towns in the Hill Country were settled by Germans, drawn by a land
> speculator who had a speculative investment of 300,000 acres of worthless,
> Indian-infested land he sold to the homefolk as a Paradise. He bought it
> sight unseen. Sort of like Florida swampland only prettier. The cattle
> coming up from the Nueces on their way to market ate all the grasses up
> there, leaving room for the cedar to take over.
> Unless the Chili Queens predate the immigrants.
>
> -Hound

Cuchulain Libby

"GEEZER" > wrote in message
> Why don't you enter it into a chili cook off

Because my chili has more chiles than paprika? And comino...

-Hound

Cuchulain Libby

"GEEZER" > wrote in message
> Damn you mean there were none of us "NATIVE AMERICANS " here most of the
> Mexican people have Native American Blood in them

That's a different take on chili. And one I support. The Aztlans/Aztecs had
a stew...some had cocoa, some didn't.
My homage to this is 'Hogan's Famous'. Includes corn, tomatoes, cocoa
powder, 3 beans etc. just no potatoes. It ain't CASI-approved chili but it's
damn good.

-Hound

Charles Gifford

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
> although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in a
group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither. Other
animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than the
muskox and takin none are actually related.

Charlie

Jack Schidt®

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
> >> although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

> >Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
> >antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
> >"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
> >animal....

> Sombody should have pointed this out to Brewster Higley before they
> made "Home on the Range" the State Song of Kansas... ;-)
>
> http://www.50states.com/songs/kansas.htm
>
> Don't get me started on their use of the word "buffalo" either -
> supposedly there are no buffalo in the Americas, either.
>
> -sw

For there not being any, I sure have been 'buffalo'd' more times than I care
to remember!

Jack

A1 WBarfieldsr

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
news

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > > wrote:

> > Don't get me started on their use of the word "buffalo" either -
> > supposedly there are no buffalo in the Americas, either.
> >
> > -sw

> For there not being any, I sure have been 'buffalo'd' more times than I
care
> to remember!
>
> Jack
>
> I take it that is the same as what comes from the south end of a north

bound bull buffalo, LOL.

Jack Sloan

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
news

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > > wrote:

> > >Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
> > >antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
> > >"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any

living
> > >animal....

> > Sombody should have pointed this out to Brewster Higley before they
> > made "Home on the Range" the State Song of Kansas... ;-)
> >
> > http://www.50states.com/songs/kansas.htm
> >
> > Don't get me started on their use of the word "buffalo" either -
> > supposedly there are no buffalo in the Americas, either.
> >
> > -sw

> For there not being any, I sure have been 'buffalo'd' more times than I

care
> to remember!
>
> Jack

I'd bet you've been buffalo'd bison of the best buffaloers around.
Jack

Jack Schidt®

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> I'd bet you've been buffalo'd bison of the best buffaloers around.
> Jack

Perfect!!

Frogleg

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote
>>
>> The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
>> although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

>Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
>antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
>"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
>animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in a
>group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither. Other
>animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than the
>muskox and takin none are actually related.

And someone called *me* an obsessive fuss-budget! :-) Given the
number of Antelope counties and towns, and states requiring "antelope"
hunting permits, let's give Wayne a break and acknowledge that while
the "Antelocapra americana" may not be the same critter as an African
antelope, not many Texans are making "pronghorn" stew.

Heaven knows what "Texas style" chile means. As you well know, New
Mexico is the source of all authentic chile/chilli recipes and foods.
With or without antelope. :-)

GEEZER

Hoss in Texas we make chili out of Chicken, opossum, rabbit, coon,
armadillo, if its meat me cook it!!!

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote
> >>
> >> The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
> >> although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

> >Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
> >antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
> >"Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
> >animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in a
> >group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither. Other
> >animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than the
> >muskox and takin none are actually related.

> And someone called *me* an obsessive fuss-budget! :-) Given the
> number of Antelope counties and towns, and states requiring "antelope"
> hunting permits, let's give Wayne a break and acknowledge that while
> the "Antelocapra americana" may not be the same critter as an African
> antelope, not many Texans are making "pronghorn" stew.
>
> Heaven knows what "Texas style" chile means. As you well know, New
> Mexico is the source of all authentic chile/chilli recipes and foods.
> With or without antelope. :-)

Charles Gifford

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>
> And someone called *me* an obsessive fuss-budget! :-) Given the
> number of Antelope counties and towns, and states requiring "antelope"
> hunting permits, let's give Wayne a break and acknowledge that while
> the "Antelocapra americana" may not be the same critter as an African
> antelope, not many Texans are making "pronghorn" stew.

My dear Frogleg, I wasn't criticizing Wayne. Mammalian taxonomy is one of
the few things that I know something about. This gave me a chance to
contribute here whilst learning from others. Mr Durrell would certainly
approve! ;-)

Charlie

Frogleg

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:00:40 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote

>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:57:11 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> And someone called *me* an obsessive fuss-budget! :-) Given the
>> number of Antelope counties and towns, and states requiring "antelope"
>> hunting permits, let's give Wayne a break and acknowledge that while
>> the "Antelocapra americana" may not be the same critter as an African
>> antelope, not many Texans are making "pronghorn" stew.

>My dear Frogleg, I wasn't criticizing Wayne. Mammalian taxonomy is one of
>the few things that I know something about. This gave me a chance to
>contribute here whilst learning from others. Mr Durrell would certainly
>approve! ;-)

Aww, now you've hit one of my soft spots. RIP, Gerry. I *did* notice
that your post was informative, not critical. However, having hunted
(or at least been in the truck) around Magdalena, NM, what my
companions said they were after were "antelope." I do, however,
appreciate your exactitude. :-)
Nixon, D

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> > The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
> > although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

> Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
> antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
> "Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any living
> animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in a
> group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither. Other
> animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than the
> muskox and takin none are actually related.
>
> Charlie

Oh yeah?? Well if that be true, tell me this-------------------- why would
"where the deer and the ANTELOPE play" be in the words of the
most popular song of the 20th Century !!!! ???? I'm talkin'
Home on the Range !

McDave

Douglas S. Ladden

Nixon, D on 19 Oct 2003 suggested:

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>
>> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef
>> > and although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

>> Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
>> antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn
>> - "Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any
>> living animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes
>> placed in a group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they
>> are neither. Other animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and
>> muskox. Other than the muskox and takin none are actually related.
>>
>> Charlie

> ================================================== =======
>
> Oh yeah?? Well if that be true, tell me this--------------------
> why would "where the deer and the ANTELOPE play" be in the words of
> the most popular song of the 20th Century !!!! ???? I'm talkin'
> Home on the Range !

Because songwriters (a) are ignorant, (b) take artistic license,
(c) couldn't get "goat antelopes" to fit into the rhythm and meter of
the song, or (d) didn't like the way "muskox" rolled off the tongue.
*grin*

--Douglas
Jack Sloan

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
. 16...
> Nixon, D on 19 Oct 2003 suggested:
>

> > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

> >> Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
> >> antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn
> >> - "Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any
> >> living animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes
> >> placed in a group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they
> >> are neither. Other animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and
> >> muskox. Other than the muskox and takin none are actually related.
> >>
> >> Charlie

I don't know much about these animals except nobody I know has eaten one
after shooting it for a wall mount. I also know they really like Oreo
cookies. I stopped somewhere on a fenceline around Post , Texas and fed
Oreos to a herd of these antelopes who stopped to look at me. Really ****ed
my 2 little girls off bad...they wanted the cookies for themselves.
Jack

Charles Gifford

"Nixon, D" > wrote in message

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > The other comment is that, as far as I know, chili contains beef and
> > > although deer and antelope were here long before the conquest,

> > Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
> > antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
> > "Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any

living
> > animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in a
> > group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither.

Other
> > animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than the
> > muskox and takin none are actually related.
> >
> > Charlie

> ================================================== =======
>
> Oh yeah?? Well if that be true, tell me this-------------------- why

would
> "where the deer and the ANTELOPE play" be in the words of the
> most popular song of the 20th Century !!!! ???? I'm talkin'
> Home on the Range !
>
> McDave

But, but.....that's the same song that has non-existent buffalo roaming too!
<grin>

Charlie

Nixon, D

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
> . 16...
> > Nixon, D on 19 Oct 2003 suggested:
> >

> > > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

> I don't know much about these animals except nobody I know has eaten one
> after shooting it for a wall mount. I also know they really like Oreo
> cookies. I stopped somewhere on a fenceline around Post , Texas and fed
> Oreos to a herd of these antelopes who stopped to look at me. Really

****ed
> my 2 little girls off bad...they wanted the cookies for themselves.
> Jack

If they scarfed up on those Oreos, they were no doubt Melanesian MuskOxes.
Texans don't know any better. Most can't tell an antelope from an
anecdote.
They think MuskOx is a brand of perfume manufactured up in Oklahoma !!

McDave

Nixon, D

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Nixon, D" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

> > > Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
> > > antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn -
> > > "Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any

> living
> > > animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes placed in

> > > group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they are neither.

> Other
> > > animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and muskox. Other than

the
> > > muskox and takin none are actually related.
> > >
> > > Charlie

> > ================================================== =======
> >
> > Oh yeah?? Well if that be true, tell me this-------------------- why

> would
> > "where the deer and the ANTELOPE play" be in the words of the
> > most popular song of the 20th Century !!!! ???? I'm talkin'
> > Home on the Range !
> >
> > McDave

> But, but.....that's the same song that has non-existent buffalo roaming

too!
> <grin>
>
> Charlie

Well, one of those non-existent buffaloes tore the arm off a cousin of
mine when he was on a picnic in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma
in 1972. He was a native OKIE, a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army
Artillery,
and should have know better than to wander among the herd in the
rutting season !! They did let him stay in the Army until his
retirement.

McDave

Nixon, D

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
. 16...
> Nixon, D on 19 Oct 2003 suggested:
>

> > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

> >> Just a gentle correction for anyone who cares. There have never been
> >> antelope in the Americas. You are probably refering to the pronghorn
> >> - "Antelocapra americana". It is not related to antelopes nor to any
> >> living animal. As the scientific name suggests, they are sometimes
> >> placed in a group of animals called "goat antelopes" although they
> >> are neither. Other animals in this group: chamois, saiga, takin and
> >> muskox. Other than the muskox and takin none are actually related.
> >>
> >> Charlie

> > ================================================== =======
> >
> > Oh yeah?? Well if that be true, tell me this--------------------
> > why would "where the deer and the ANTELOPE play" be in the words of
> > the most popular song of the 20th Century !!!! ???? I'm talkin'
> > Home on the Range !

> Because songwriters (a) are ignorant, (b) take artistic license,
> (c) couldn't get "goat antelopes" to fit into the rhythm and meter of
> the song, or (d) didn't like the way "muskox" rolled off the tongue.
> *grin*
>
> --Douglas

Willie Nelson wrote the song----------------- Crazy.

Jack Sloan

"Nixon, D" > wrote in message

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >
> > "Nixon, D" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

and

pronghorn -

> > living

in

> > Other

> the

> > > ================================================== =======
> > >
> > > Oh yeah?? Well if that be true, tell me this-------------------- why

> > would
> > > "where the deer and the ANTELOPE play" be in the words of the
> > > most popular song of the 20th Century !!!! ???? I'm talkin'
> > > Home on the Range !
> > >
> > > McDave

> > But, but.....that's the same song that has non-existent buffalo roaming

> too!
> > <grin>
> >
> > Charlie

> ================================================== ===========
>
> Well, one of those non-existent buffaloes tore the arm off a cousin of
> mine when he was on a picnic in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma
> in 1972. He was a native OKIE, a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army
> Artillery,
> and should have know better than to wander among the herd in the
> rutting season !! They did let him stay in the Army until his
> retirement.
>
> McDave

A one armed Okie can't pick much fruit in California.
Kack<G>

David Wright

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:23:43 GMT, "Nixon, D" > wrote:

>"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...

>> But, but.....that's the same song that has non-existent buffalo roaming

>too!
>> <grin>
>>
>> Charlie

>================================================= ============
>
>Well, one of those non-existent buffaloes tore the arm off a cousin of
>mine when he was on a picnic in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma
>in 1972. He was a native OKIE, a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army
>Artillery,
>and should have know better than to wander among the herd in the
>rutting season !! They did let him stay in the Army until his
>retirement.
>
>McDave

I'm sure that what Charlie meant was that what many (most?) people in
the US call "buffalo" are really "bison." Think water buffalo or Cape
buffalo for the real thing. The song writer did get the "deer" part
right, but missed on the antelope (pronghorn) and buffalo (bison.)

David
Jack Sloan

"Nixon, D" > wrote in message

> "Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
> > . 16...
> > > Nixon, D on 19 Oct 2003 suggested:

conquest,

been

pronghorn

any

> > I don't know much about these animals except nobody I know has eaten one
> > after shooting it for a wall mount. I also know they really like Oreo
> > cookies. I stopped somewhere on a fenceline around Post , Texas and fed
> > Oreos to a herd of these antelopes who stopped to look at me. Really

> ****ed
> > my 2 little girls off bad...they wanted the cookies for themselves.
> > Jack

> ================================================== ===
> If they scarfed up on those Oreos, they were no doubt Melanesian MuskOxes.
> Texans don't know any better. Most can't tell an antelope from an
> anecdote.
> They think MuskOx is a brand of perfume manufactured up in Oklahoma !!
>
> McDave

OK, I guess they couldda been takins 'cause they were sure takin' those
oreos.
Jack

Nixon, D

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Nixon, D" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...

> and

been

> pronghorn -
> > > living

> in

neither.
> > > Other

than
> > the

why
> > > would

> > > But, but.....that's the same song that has non-existent buffalo

roaming
> > too!
> > > <grin>
> > >
> > > Charlie

> > ================================================== ===========
> >
> > Well, one of those non-existent buffaloes tore the arm off a cousin of
> > mine when he was on a picnic in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma
> > in 1972. He was a native OKIE, a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army
> > Artillery,
> > and should have know better than to wander among the herd in the
> > rutting season !! They did let him stay in the Army until his
> > retirement.
> >
> > McDave
> >

> A one armed Okie can't pick much fruit in California.
> Kack<G>

You're sure right about that.... particularly one who cain't
tell an Cantaloupe from a Antelope !!

McDave

Jim Lane

David Wright wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:23:43 GMT, "Nixon, D" > wrote:
>
>>"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
link.net...

>>>But, but.....that's the same song that has non-existent buffalo roaming

>>too!
>>
>>><grin>
>>>
>>>Charlie

>>================================================ =============
>>
>>Well, one of those non-existent buffaloes tore the arm off a cousin of
>>mine when he was on a picnic in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma
>>in 1972. He was a native OKIE, a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army
>>Artillery,
>>and should have know better than to wander among the herd in the
>>rutting season !! They did let him stay in the Army until his
>>retirement.
>>
>>McDave

> I'm sure that what Charlie meant was that what many (most?) people in
> the US call "buffalo" are really "bison." Think water buffalo or Cape
> buffalo for the real thing. The song writer did get the "deer" part
> right, but missed on the antelope (pronghorn) and buffalo (bison.)
>
> David

Poetic license.

jim

James A. Finley

"Nixon, D" > wrote in message

> "Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Nixon, D" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> > > nk.net...

beef
> > and

> been

> > pronghorn -

any

placed
> > in

> neither.

> than
> > > the

> why

> roaming
> > > too!

> > > ================================================== ===========
> > >
> > > Well, one of those non-existent buffaloes tore the arm off a cousin of
> > > mine when he was on a picnic in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma
> > > in 1972. He was a native OKIE, a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army
> > > Artillery,
> > > and should have know better than to wander among the herd in the
> > > rutting season !! They did let him stay in the Army until his
> > > retirement.
> > >
> > > McDave
> > >

> > A one armed Okie can't pick much fruit in California.
> > Kack<G>

> You're sure right about that.... particularly one who cain't
> tell an Cantaloupe from a Antelope !!
>
> McDave

No one has mentioned the Texas Jackalope.

Jim

Texas style smoker BBQ here in Oz PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 11 26-02-2008 04:33 AM
Low-carb Texas-style Chili International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 31-12-2005 05:06 AM
Texas style ribs Tim Recipes 0 23-04-2005 12:13 PM
Texas-Style Chili Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-02-2005 01:42 PM
Texas Style Chili Old Magic1 Mexican Cooking 3 31-01-2005 04:08 PM