Dr. Dog

Default 1970 Chateau Margaux

I have a bottle of this in my cellar.
1) Is it most likely vinegar by now?

2) Is it worth anything?

Dog

Dr. Dog

Robert Klute wrote:
> On 24 Dec 2004 10:23:37 -0800, "Dr. Dog" >
> wrote:
>
> >I have a bottle of this in my cellar.
> >1) Is it most likely vinegar by now?
> >
> >2) Is it worth anything?

> It still should be good, if it has been cellared properly. It is
> getting old, so I wouldn't let it breathe before tasting, it will

fade
> quickly.
>
> I have seen it being rated all over the map. Parker doesn't like it,
> but then again I only listen to Parker if I want a BIG wine. It's
> estimated value at auction is also all over from ~$100 to ~$400.

Many thanks. I had thought, though, that 1970 was a good year for
claret. Was I mistaken?

Dog

Robert Klute

wrote:

>I have a bottle of this in my cellar.
>1) Is it most likely vinegar by now?
>
>2) Is it worth anything?

It still should be good, if it has been cellared properly. It is
getting old, so I wouldn't let it breathe before tasting, it will fade
quickly.

I have seen it being rated all over the map. Parker doesn't like it,
but then again I only listen to Parker if I want a BIG wine. It's
estimated value at auction is also all over from ~$100 to ~$400.
Robert Klute

On 24 Dec 2004 11:09:02 -0800, "Dr. Dog" >
wrote:

>Many thanks. I had thought, though, that 1970 was a good year for
>claret. Was I mistaken?

I was. Chateau Margaux, however, was having problems at that time.
"Coasting on its reputation" is a term that has been used. You
generally get words like understated, elegant, graceful being applied to
vintages produced during this period (60s - 70s). It wasn't until
Robert Parker that anyone would openly disparage a Premier Cru. In the
late 70s the ownership changed and the house re-established its
reputation.

There is a little bit on it in wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%E2teau_Margaux

Robert Klute

wrote:

>Many thanks. I had thought, though, that 1970 was a good year for
>claret. Was I mistaken?

I was. Chateau Margaux, however, was having problems at that time.
"Coasting on its reputation" is a term that has been used. You
generally get words like understated, elegant, graceful being applied to
vintages produced during this period (60s - 70s). It wasn't until
Robert Parker that anyone would openly disparage a Premier Cru. In the
late 70s the ownership changed and the house re-established its
reputation.

There is a little bit on it in wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%E2teau_Margaux

Robert Klute

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:07:45 GMT, Robert Klute > wrote:

>On 24 Dec 2004 11:09:02 -0800, "Dr. Dog" >
>wrote:
>

>>Many thanks. I had thought, though, that 1970 was a good year for
>>claret. Was I mistaken?
>>

>I was.

Correction "'It' was a very good year".

I tried the '83, and this bottle was the best wine I have ever tasted.
Period. I hope yours is just as good.

I am in no way a wine person - my wife won a dinner at ANY restaurant
in the country with no limit. They had the Margaux at $700 a bottle so
I got one, and it was so fragrant it just knocked both myself and my
wife out (metaphorically). I have never had anything like it, but then
I only ever spend around $10-30 on a bottle max.

Good luck!

Dean

Blair P. Houghton

>I am in no way a wine person - my wife won a dinner at ANY restaurant
>in the country with no limit. They had the Margaux at $700 a bottle so
>I got one, and it was so fragrant it just knocked both myself and my
>wife out (metaphorically). I have never had anything like it, but then
>I only ever spend around $10-30 on a bottle max.

I googled up "1970 margaux" and the prices and qualities are
all over the place.

--Blair
"It's a risk worth taking."

TN Chateau d'Yquem 1970 cwdjrxyz Wine 0 26-10-2009 04:44 AM
TN Chateau Margaux 1959 cwdjrxyz Wine 9 30-12-2008 10:28 PM
1989 Chateau Margaux Bi!! Wine 2 13-08-2007 06:45 PM
Chteau Kirwan 1986 Margaux BsAsWino Wine 6 08-04-2006 06:14 PM