FoodBanter.com

-   General (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/)
-   -   1970 Chateau Margaux (https://www.foodbanter.com/general/49238-1970-chateau-margaux.html)

Dr. Dog 24-12-2004 06:23 PM

1970 Chateau Margaux

I have a bottle of this in my cellar.
1) Is it most likely vinegar by now?

2) Is it worth anything?

Dog

Dr. Dog 24-12-2004 07:09 PM

Robert Klute wrote:
On 24 Dec 2004 10:23:37 -0800, "Dr. Dog"
wrote:

I have a bottle of this in my cellar.
1) Is it most likely vinegar by now?

2) Is it worth anything?

It still should be good, if it has been cellared properly. It is
getting old, so I wouldn't let it breathe before tasting, it will

fade
quickly.

I have seen it being rated all over the map. Parker doesn't like it,
but then again I only listen to Parker if I want a BIG wine. It's
estimated value at auction is also all over from ~$100 to ~$400.

Many thanks. I had thought, though, that 1970 was a good year for
claret. Was I mistaken?

Dog

Robert Klute 25-12-2004 09:07 AM

On 24 Dec 2004 11:09:02 -0800, "Dr. Dog"
wrote:

Many thanks. I had thought, though, that 1970 was a good year for
claret. Was I mistaken?

I was. Chateau Margaux, however, was having problems at that time.
"Coasting on its reputation" is a term that has been used. You
generally get words like understated, elegant, graceful being applied to
vintages produced during this period (60s - 70s). It wasn't until
Robert Parker that anyone would openly disparage a Premier Cru. In the
late 70s the ownership changed and the house re-established its
reputation.

There is a little bit on it in wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%E2teau_Margaux

Robert Klute 25-12-2004 08:34 PM

wrote:

Many thanks. I had thought, though, that 1970 was a good year for
claret. Was I mistaken?

I was.

Correction "'It' was a very good year".

[email protected] 28-12-2004 03:58 AM

I tried the '83, and this bottle was the best wine I have ever tasted.
Period. I hope yours is just as good.

Dr. Dog 28-12-2004 03:27 PM

wrote:
I tried the '83, and this bottle was the best wine I have ever

tasted.
Period. I hope yours is just as good.

Many thanks for your good wishes. In fact, I'm a little afraid to open
it! (Will I be appreciative enough, with a relatively unschooled
palate?)

Dog

[email protected] 29-12-2004 04:55 AM

I am in no way a wine person - my wife won a dinner at ANY restaurant
in the country with no limit. They had the Margaux at $700 a bottle so
I got one, and it was so fragrant it just knocked both myself and my
wife out (metaphorically). I have never had anything like it, but then
I only ever spend around $10-30 on a bottle max.

Good luck!

Dean

Blair P. Houghton 30-12-2004 07:37 AM

wrote:
I am in no way a wine person - my wife won a dinner at ANY restaurant
in the country with no limit. They had the Margaux at $700 a bottle so
I got one, and it was so fragrant it just knocked both myself and my
wife out (metaphorically). I have never had anything like it, but then
I only ever spend around $10-30 on a bottle max.

I googled up "1970 margaux" and the prices and qualities are
all over the place.

--Blair
"It's a risk worth taking."