Old 07-10-2003, 04:49 AM
Peter Moylan

Default Pukka mealtimes

Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:

In my youth there was a late night horror known as Twiggies Pie Cart. You
could order a number of exotic dishes to stimulate the palate you could
specify that 'hotters' were added. The pies were all at least a day old. If
you made the mistake of dining there (for, at that time of night everything
else was closed) you learned, early in life, quite what the combination of a
bad hangover and heart burn felt like.

When I was a student, a group of us had the habit of getting together
at midnight each Friday for a card game. The hunger pangs used to
set in at about 4 a.m., and the only place open at that time of
night was a hamburger shop about half an hour's walk away. (In
those days, few students were rich enough to drive a car.) It took
us a while to learn that it was necessary to buy two hamburgers
per person: one for the trip home, and one to eat once we'd
arrived back to continue the card game.

Was the food any good? Who knows? After four hours of playing
poker you tend to be fairly well lubricated.

A year or two later we discovered that if we walked in a less
obvious direction we would get to the city's main fruit and
vegetable market, where people started work at roughly the same
time as the average student was going to bed. It was a longer
walk, but gave us a wider choice of food. As an added bonus,
the pubs were permitted to open at 6 a.m., being exempt from the
rule that said that "normal" pubs couldn't open until 10 a.m.

--
Peter Moylan
http://eepjm.newcastle.edu.au (OS/2 and eCS information and software)

Old 08-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

"Javi" wrote in message
The carbon unit using the name Peter H.M. Brooks in
gave utterance as follows:

Maybe. The study showed that siestas tended to reduce life
expectency.

Do not believe everything you read. The fact is that life expectAncy in
Spain is among the highest in the world; I cannot remember exactly, but

I'd
say that it ranks inmediatly below Japan for women and not far for men.

Not quite! Greek and Italian life expetancy is higher. All three countries
share a similar diet, but Spain has the longest siestas. I'm not sure why
the Turks don't live so long though...

I suppose that, if enough thought were put to the matter,
with hydraulic beds that gently lever you into a vertical position
over the final ten minutes of your kip this might be addressed that
way. It seems that we haven't evolved for long siestaring

We? Who is "we"? We have a long tradition of siesting, and reaching eighty
something years old is not rare in my family. Maybe I'm of a different
species: homo siestans.

Now, seriously, sleeping for a long time (more than an hour) in the
afternoon seems to be not good, but a short siesta (around half an hour)

is
a great thing.

My idea of perfection is probably a ten minute siestaette at lunch time,
then another ten minute siestaette at afternoon tea time.

--
'They.. sucked the Tobacco smoak in greedily, swallow it down with the
Water. For which reason..generally at..the first Pipe in the Morning, they

Old 08-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Javi

"Javi" wrote in message
The carbon unit using the name Peter H.M. Brooks in
gave utterance as follows:

Maybe. The study showed that siestas tended to reduce life
expectency.

Do not believe everything you read. The fact is that life expectAncy
in Spain is among the highest in the world; I cannot remember
exactly, but I'd say that it ranks inmediatly below Japan for women
and not far for men.

Not quite! Greek and Italian life expetancy is higher. All three
countries share a similar diet, but Spain has the longest siestas.
I'm not sure why the Turks don't live so long though...

Muslims, no wine; also, their national health service is worse.

--
Saludos cordiales

Javi

Conjunction of an irregular verb: