Old 02-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Pukka mealtimes

"Reidİ" wrote in message
Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

I have always considered 8.00 for 8.30 to mean aperitifs served at

8.00,
dinner served at 8.30.
Is this not the case?

Yes, but that is time for a small sherry only, and then only if it is a

tiny
dinner party, eight people or fewer - any more and it takes longer even

for
sherry.

In the real world outside ng's for most people 8 isn't a "tiny"
dinner party.

You aren't suggesting that I'm living in an unreal world are you?

With the dry sherry in a cooler, place bottles and glasses on a
table and tell the guests to help themselves, there is usually
someone willing to do the job amongst the guests anyway. It gets
them taking to one another and helps to destroy any potential
atmosphere of formality.

You can do that, but there's often some girlie who wants a medium sherry, so
you have to provide it and label it so that no normal person has to gag on
the dreadful stuff.

--
Men don't pay you to sleep with them. They pay you to go home - Philip Roth
'The Human Stain' pg 236

Old 02-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Matti Lamprhey

"Reidİ" wrote...
Following up to Robert Bannister

There are two sorts of omelette. There is the light, fluffy kind,
preferably made with just eggs and no filling - the best ones I've
had were in Belgium. Then there are omelettes with lots of filling:
Spanish omelette, Bauernfrühstück, etc., which are not cooked
in the same way and for which olive oil is perfect.

I think its worth saying that the only similarity between a
spanish tortilla and a french omelette is egg. IMHO "filling"
isn't the right word for a tortilla, the potato being integral.

As you say olive oil is fine for both frying and deep frying. The
use of butter for a french omelette is presumably for the taste,
as its not a high temperature process, whereas the tortilla
requires raising the olive oil to smoke point.

Hmm. I don't think olive oil will stand up to the high temperatures
which are often associated with deep frying. I wouldn't use it for
chips, f'r instance.

Matti

Old 02-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Reidİ

Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

In the real world outside ng's for most people 8 isn't a "tiny"
dinner party.

You aren't suggesting that I'm living in an unreal world are you?

this is an unreal world.

With the dry sherry in a cooler, place bottles and glasses on a
table and tell the guests to help themselves, there is usually
someone willing to do the job amongst the guests anyway. It gets
them taking to one another and helps to destroy any potential
atmosphere of formality.

You can do that, but there's often some girlie who wants a medium sherry, so
you have to provide it and label it so that no normal person has to gag on
the dreadful stuff.

or some boylie? Why not provide good sherry across the range? A
Palo Cordato would be nice, just avoid "cream" IMHO.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 02-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

"Matti Lamprhey" wrote in message
[...]

You are quite right, it would be unwise to use it for chips. Omelettes are
not deep fried though! The smoke point of olive oil is much higher than the
burn point of butter so is better for omelettes.

Actually I simplified it rather. What I actually do is use a little olive
oil to get the pan heated to the smoke point, then I add the butter, just
before (or sometimes mixed into the omelette mixture) adding the omelette
mixture. The reason for doing this is that adding oil to butter increases
the burn point of butter, so a mix of 90% butter, 10% olive oil won't burn
at the smoke point of olive oil - pure butter will.

--
'They.. sucked the Tobacco smoak in greedily, swallow it down with the
Water. For which reason..generally at..the first Pipe in the Morning, they

Old 02-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

"Reidİ" wrote in message
Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

In the real world outside ng's for most people 8 isn't a "tiny"
dinner party.

You aren't suggesting that I'm living in an unreal world are you?

this is an unreal world.

What do you mean by 'unreal'? It seems pretty real to me.

With the dry sherry in a cooler, place bottles and glasses on a
table and tell the guests to help themselves, there is usually
someone willing to do the job amongst the guests anyway. It gets
them taking to one another and helps to destroy any potential
atmosphere of formality.

You can do that, but there's often some girlie who wants a medium sherry,

so
you have to provide it and label it so that no normal person has to gag

on
the dreadful stuff.

or some boylie? Why not provide good sherry across the range? A
Palo Cordato would be nice, just avoid "cream" IMHO.

Tio Pepe is very nice, though these days, being in Cape Town, I usually have
South African sherries, which are very good indeed.

--
"Wherever tyranny has ruled, it has been with this insidious claim that the
status quo must not be questioned," - Bantu Holomisa

Old 02-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Reidİ

Following up to Matti Lamprhey

Hmm. I don't think olive oil will stand up to the high temperatures
which are often associated with deep frying. I wouldn't use it for
chips, f'r instance.

Its smoke point is 210C Sunflower oil 200C Corn oil 210C.
Rapeseed and Grapeseed have slightly higher smokepoints but all
are OK for deep frying. You might of course like or dislike the
taste imparted, which is not typical for english chips.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Javi

The carbon unit using the name Peter H.M. Brooks in
gave utterance as follows:

[...]

Then Spaniards are quite unwise: we believe that the best "frituras" (deep
fried stuff, usually chips or fish) are those made in olive oil.

Omelettes are not deep fried though! The smoke point of olive oil is
much higher than the burn point of butter so is better for omelettes.

Actually I simplified it rather. What I actually do is use a little
olive oil to get the pan heated to the smoke point, then I add the
butter, just before (or sometimes mixed into the omelette mixture)
adding the omelette mixture. The reason for doing this is that adding
oil to butter increases the burn point of butter, so a mix of 90%
butter, 10% olive oil won't burn at the smoke point of olive oil -
pure butter will.

And do not forget, if you are the kind that consider these things, that
olive oil is much healthier than butter. I use olive oil, and when preparing
certain meals that originally are to be made with butter, I add a *little*
butter, just for the taste.

--
Saludos cordiales

Javi

Conjunction of an irregular verb:

I am firm.
You are obstinate.
He is a pig-headed fool.

Old 02-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Reidİ

Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

Tio Pepe is very nice, though these days, being in Cape Town, I usually have
South African sherries, which are very good indeed.

Sherry comes from Jerez. South Africa should think up their own
designation for their fortified wines.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Peter H.M. Brooks

"Reidİ" wrote in message
Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

Tio Pepe is very nice, though these days, being in Cape Town, I usually

have
South African sherries, which are very good indeed.

Sherry comes from Jerez. South Africa should think up their own
designation for their fortified wines.

Indeed. No doubt some day the Yanks will be forced to think up some
different name for the gnat's **** that they call 'Budweiser'.

Presumably you are as shocked when you come accross cheese claiming to be
cheddar that doesn't come from Cheddar.

--
Hark, wretches! how I mean to martyr you. This one hand yet is left to cut
your throats, Whilst that Lavinia 'tween her stumps doth hold the baisin

Old 02-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Reidİ

Following up to Javi

You are quite right, it would be unwise to use it for chips.

Then Spaniards are quite unwise: we believe that the best "frituras" (deep
fried stuff, usually chips or fish) are those made in olive oil.

and the fried fish in Seville is possibly the best in the world.
"Kiosk de los flores" by the bridge to Trianna for example, where
they serve fried fish on paper without a stain of oil. try that
in a chippy!

My deep fat fryer is filled with olive oil.

Old 02-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Peter H.M. Brooks

"Reidİ" wrote in message
Following up to Javi

You are quite right, it would be unwise to use it for chips.

Then Spaniards are quite unwise: we believe that the best "frituras"

(deep
fried stuff, usually chips or fish) are those made in olive oil.

and the fried fish in Seville is possibly the best in the world.
"Kiosk de los flores" by the bridge to Trianna for example, where
they serve fried fish on paper without a stain of oil. try that
in a chippy!

My deep fat fryer is filled with olive oil.

So, do you call it El Tuck?

--
"The highest realms of thought
are impossible to reach

SOCRATES

Old 02-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Javi

The carbon unit using the name Reidİ in
gave utterance as follows:

Following up to Javi

You are quite right, it would be unwise to use it for chips.

Then Spaniards are quite unwise: we believe that the best "frituras"
(deep fried stuff, usually chips or fish) are those made in olive
oil.

and the fried fish in Seville is possibly the best in the world.
"Kiosk de los flores" by the bridge to Trianna for example,

I know that, I've been there. We write it "Quiosco" or "Kiosco".

where
they serve fried fish on paper without a stain of oil.

Frituras are even better in Cádiz, where you can eat them at the seaside;
marinated fish ("adobo") and fish's roe is great. Those shops are usually
called "freidurías".

try that
in a chippy!

??? "Chippy" is not in my dictionaries as a noun. Is that a chip 'n fish
shop?

My deep fat fryer is filled with olive oil.

So is mine.

--

Old 02-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Reidİ

Following up to Javi

and the fried fish in Seville is possibly the best in the world.
"Kiosk de los flores" by the bridge to Trianna for example,

I know that, I've been there. We write it "Quiosco" or "Kiosco".

that's it, thanks!

where
they serve fried fish on paper without a stain of oil.

Frituras are even better in Cádiz, where you can eat them at the seaside;
marinated fish ("adobo") and fish's roe is great. Those shops are usually
called "freidurías".

Cadiz is one of my favourite paces, we like to go to a fish
restaurant by the beach. (Mariscos La Marea, Paseo Maritimo 1),
Also "El Faro", then there are the tortillitas and those tiny
shrimps :-)
I find fish roe a bit rich but Cazon adobo is a favourite of
mine.

What part of Spain are you from?

try that
in a chippy!

??? "Chippy" is not in my dictionaries as a noun. Is that a chip 'n fish
shop?

Yes, "fish and chip shop", (no 'n, thats an americanism although
you will see it in UK). can be a "chippy" or a "chip shop".
Old 02-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Reidİ

Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

Sherry comes from Jerez. South Africa should think up their own
designation for their fortified wines.

Indeed. No doubt some day the Yanks will be forced to think up some
different name for the gnat's **** that they call 'Budweiser'.

hopefully.

Presumably you are as shocked when you come accross cheese claiming to be
cheddar that doesn't come from Cheddar.

Not shocked, but it would be a nice thing if there was a sort of
appelation controllee system for such things, for instance, meat
not grown in the place it alleges to come from.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:23 PM
dcw

In article ,
Reidİ wrote:
Following up to Javi

??? "Chippy" is not in my dictionaries as a noun. Is that a chip 'n fish
shop?

Yes, "fish and chip shop", (no 'n, thats an americanism although
you will see it in UK). can be a "chippy" or a "chip shop".

Properly spelled "'n'", I think, though you often see "'n", "n'",
"`n'", and "`n". (Apologies to anyone who can't read ASCII single
quotes.)

David