Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are most people here chefs etc?

"sf" > wrote in message
ps.com...

>> > http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../entry?id=3821

>> And here is what the entry says, and what it's wrong about:
>>
>> parsley root
>> Also called Hamburg parsley and turnip-rooted parsley , this parsley
>> subspecies is grown for its beige, carrotlike root, which tastes like
>> carrot-celery cross. It's used in parts of Europe in soups, stews and
>> simply as a vegetable. Parsley root is rarely found in U.S. markets.
>> When available, choose firm roots with feathery, bright-green leaves.
>> Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to a week. Remove leaves just
>> before
>> using roots. Parsley-root leaves may be used in the same manner as
>> regular parsley.
>>
>> 1) It's a very light whitish-beige on the outside, but when peeled
>> it
>> is white.
>> 2) It looks like a white carrot, but the top of it tends to be a
>> bit
>> wider.
>> 3) It is seldom eaten raw, as far as I know.
>> 4) Rarely found in U.S. markets? I have seldom failed to find it
>> in
>> a Jewish supermarket that sold veggies.
>> 5) If you use parsley leaves, it is best to check them for bugs.
>> The
>> roots seldom have such problems.

> THANKS! I had no idea it wasn't just the root of a regular parsley
> plant.
>
> I think the correctlyy stated "parsley root is seldom found in US
> markets" because most markets don't cater to the Jewish population.
> They might have a small section where you'd find matzo, jarred gefilte
> fish etc., but I've never seen parsley root in the vegetable section
> of
> any store large or small. Maybe it's like the cardoon which shows up
> occasionally in the farmer's market, but I wouldn't say it's something
> the general public knows about.

Interesting. I'll admit that I never thought it would be easier to find
a vegetable or herb in Jewish supermarkets than in mainstream
supermarkets around the USA. Interesting. When it comes to fresh
vegetables, most Jews in Brooklyn have almost never heard of them. Not
all, mind you, but most. I think it's an old joke that the only fresh
vegetable they've ever heard of is the onion. I dispute that. They also
eat potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Hey, nb -- didja ever run across, into, or afoul of a nice Slovak
> liqueur called Becherovka?

IIRC it's Czech, produced in the western Bohemian spa town of Karlovy
Vary...it was primarily a "digestif" sort of thing to partake of whilst
undertaking "the cure" at the spa(also there are digestive - style wafers
made in Karlovy Vary). They have all sorts of cocktail recipes on their
site but frankly they sound kinda wierd:

http://www.becherovka.cz/en

Don't the Slovaks have lotsa plum brandy types of things, e.g. slivovitz,
etc.?

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I wonder whatever happened to Evergene.

He's still a regular poster on ba.food.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:55:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Helen Harrand" > wrote:
>
>> Didn't Alan Zelt and the SBF (Short Blonde Finn) also marry after meeting
>> here?
>>
>> helen

>They did. Still are.
>Janis Lane and Rich Tester, too.

And long before that, Iain and Mary Liddell...he in England, and she
from the US.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Helen Harrand" > wrote:
>
> > Didn't Alan Zelt and the SBF (Short Blonde Finn) also marry after

meeting
> > here?
> >
> > helen

> They did. Still are.
> Janis Lane and Rich Tester, too. I still remember Rich's sig - "Rich
> Tester, PhD - will do chemistry for food.
> I wonder whatever happened to Evergene.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

I remember Rich's tag line......I couldn't remember his name tho. Does Alan
Zelt ever come in here anymore? How about Charlie/Liam?

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article et>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Hey, nb -- didja ever run across, into, or afoul of a nice Slovak
> > liqueur called Becherovka?

> IIRC it's Czech, produced in the western Bohemian spa town of Karlovy
> Vary...it was primarily a "digestif" sort of thing to partake of whilst
> undertaking "the cure" at the spa(also there are digestive - style wafers
> made in Karlovy Vary). They have all sorts of cocktail recipes on their
> site but frankly they sound kinda wierd:
>
> http://www.becherovka.cz/en
>

> Don't the Slovaks have lotsa plum brandy types of things, e.g. slivovitz,
> etc.?

Slivovice is nasty stuff. Vile. Plums NEVER tasted like that. The
Becherovka is sweet. Not bad after the first coupla swallows. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article 1>,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>
> > salvage it? Makes me crazier than I already am. Worst yet is taking one
> > of your own signature dishes and ruining it by experimentation. I got
> > drunk on a bottle of wine one time years ago while watching Julia Child
> > hack up a whole monkfish. I was making lasagne. I wound up dumping a bunch
> > of red wine in the sauce to see how it would taste. God awful is how it
> > tasted. I kept adding tomatoes, tomato sauce etc. to try and rescue it.
> > Wound up tossing about 5 quarts of lousy sauce.
> >
> > Michael

> Don't blame it on experimentation, Sweets, blame it on being drunk. I
> don't think they're the same thing.

Just the opposite. If he'd have drunk the wine instead of
experimenting, things would have been better.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-15, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Hey, nb -- didja ever run across, into, or afoul of a nice Slovak
> liqueur called Becherovka?

heh heh....

Sounds like betchya rovka. What's rovka mean? ..."can't handle this,
you wussy!"

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Helen Harrand" > wrote:
> I remember Rich's tag line......I couldn't remember his name tho. Does Alan
> Zelt ever come in here anymore? How about Charlie/Liam?
>
> helen

Alan, no. He might post to a.f.barbecue (I think that's what it's
called) -- not sure. Charlie Gifford? Occasionally.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helen Harrand > wrote in message
[snip]
> Yes, Charlie/Liam Gifford!

Charlie decided that the noise-to-signal ratio was no longer worth
wading through in rfc. Such an unfortunate loss.

ObFood: Heirloom beefsteak and green zebra toms with mini-mozzarella
balls, fresh basil, and kosher salt. A meal-on-wheels.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Helen Harrand" > wrote:
> > I remember Rich's tag line......I couldn't remember his name tho. Does

Alan
> > Zelt ever come in here anymore? How about Charlie/Liam?
> >
> > helen

> Alan, no. He might post to a.f.barbecue (I think that's what it's
> called) -- not sure. Charlie Gifford? Occasionally.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Thanks Barb. Maybe I'll pick up some nifty BBQ tips too. We (my 3
teammates and I) do a BBQ festival down here every May and we never do
really well. Ok, the judges say we suck. We like it tho and we have a very
good time doing it also.

Yes, Charlie/Liam Gifford!

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Helen Harrand > wrote in message
> [snip]
> > Yes, Charlie/Liam Gifford!

> Charlie decided that the noise-to-signal ratio was no longer worth
> wading through in rfc. Such an unfortunate loss.
>
> ObFood: Heirloom beefsteak and green zebra toms with mini-mozzarella
> balls, fresh basil, and kosher salt. A meal-on-wheels.
>
> The Ranger

Oh between this OBfood and the pics of tomatoes w/salt over on r.f.binary
I'm seriously considering a tomato sandwich at midnight. It might just HAVE
to be done.

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.
-sw

I laughted so hard I almost got tears in my eyes. Steve, I'm a
dockworker in the LA Harbor. You sound like a lot of the guys I work
with. Take this reply as a sincere compliment, and I mean that. You
seem like someone who speaks his mind which is refreshing to be around.

Mike Kazmark
www.bestpastarecipes.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(though brined, smoked, then grilled sweetbreads are great).

I think I'm feeling queasy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Helen Harrand" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Helen Harrand" > wrote:
> > > I remember Rich's tag line......I couldn't remember his name tho. Does

> Alan
> > > Zelt ever come in here anymore? How about Charlie/Liam?
> > >
> > > helen

> > Alan, no. He might post to a.f.barbecue (I think that's what it's
> > called) -- not sure. Charlie Gifford? Occasionally.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > http://jamlady.eboard.com

> Thanks Barb. Maybe I'll pick up some nifty BBQ tips too. We (my 3
> teammates and I) do a BBQ festival down here every May and we never do
> really well. Ok, the judges say we suck. We like it tho and we have a very
> good time doing it also.
>
> helen

It's the beer... <lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Helen Harrand > wrote in message
> [snip]
> > Yes, Charlie/Liam Gifford!

> Charlie decided that the noise-to-signal ratio was no longer worth
> wading through in rfc. Such an unfortunate loss.

Too many unfortunate losses, Dude.

> ObFood: Heirloom beefsteak and green zebra toms with mini-mozzarella
> balls, fresh basil, and kosher salt. A meal-on-wheels.
>
> The Ranger

Where'd you get the mini-mozz balls? The ones I got at TJ about a month
ago were awful.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grinner wrote:
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

Nah, but I'm married to a chef, which (as anyone close to the business
knows) means that I do most of the cooking . (A somewhat unfortunate
circumstance for friends and family )

Incidently, I'm looking for a recipe for a green tomato (actual
tomatoes, not tomatillos) salsa that I can freeze... anyone got one? We
have an insane crop of tomatoes this year (some weird roma-beefsteak
hybrid that I can't really explain... the wonders of community gardens,
I guess ) and I don't know what to do with them...

Happy day, everyone,
kerry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
> In article >, "The Ranger"

> wrote:

> > Charlie decided that the noise-to-signal ratio was no
> > longer worth wading through in rfc. Such an unfortunate
> > loss.
> >

> Too many unfortunate losses, Dude.

Yee-epp... Roll call would be pretty thin today.

> > ObFood: Heirloom beefsteak and green zebra toms
> > with mini-mozzarella balls, fresh basil, and kosher
> > salt. A meal-on-wheels.
> >

> Where'd you get the mini-mozz balls? The ones I got
> at TJ about a month ago were awful.

I don't get cheeses from TJ's anymore. I tasted too much salt (in the
parmesan, the aged asiago, and romano) or -- worse -- some have been a
little too "earthy" when taken straight from the package.

I get most of my cheeses from Cosentino's (a local [to me] grocer) and
[calling notbob!] Gene's Fine Foods in <sniff> Saratoga. Both offer
fresh mozzarella in brine at super-reasonable prices.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> > > Charlie decided that the noise-to-signal ratio was no
> > > longer worth wading through in rfc. Such an unfortunate
> > > loss.
> > >

> > Too many unfortunate losses, Dude.

> Yee-epp... Roll call would be pretty thin today.

According to Google, this list (at this moment) has 2,572 subscribers.

I'd hardly call that thin. ;-)

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...d.cooking&sel=

Seems that most of them are lurkers, but I do see new names pop up every
now and then!

We just need to coax a few of them out of the woodwork...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"ChefsWife" > wrote:

> Grinner wrote:
> > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> Nah, but I'm married to a chef, which (as anyone close to the business
> knows) means that I do most of the cooking . (A somewhat unfortunate
> circumstance for friends and family )
>
> Incidently, I'm looking for a recipe for a green tomato (actual
> tomatoes, not tomatillos) salsa that I can freeze... anyone got one? We
> have an insane crop of tomatoes this year (some weird roma-beefsteak
> hybrid that I can't really explain... the wonders of community gardens,
> I guess ) and I don't know what to do with them...
>
> Happy day, everyone,
> kerry

Fried green tomatoes!!!!!!! ;-d

For a few of them anyhoo. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in message
news [snip]
> We just need to coax a few of them out of the woodwork...

Or get the more prolific, chatty, to quiet down...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in message
> news > [snip]
> > We just need to coax a few of them out of the woodwork...

> Or get the more prolific, chatty, to quiet down...

<shocked look> but what fun would _that_ be? ;-D
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Been there, ate that Yum.

(now I'm hungry)

cheers,
kerry
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "ChefsWife" > wrote:
>
> > Grinner wrote:
> > > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> > Nah, but I'm married to a chef, which (as anyone close to the business
> > knows) means that I do most of the cooking . (A somewhat unfortunate
> > circumstance for friends and family )
> >
> > Incidently, I'm looking for a recipe for a green tomato (actual
> > tomatoes, not tomatillos) salsa that I can freeze... anyone got one? We
> > have an insane crop of tomatoes this year (some weird roma-beefsteak
> > hybrid that I can't really explain... the wonders of community gardens,
> > I guess ) and I don't know what to do with them...
> >
> > Happy day, everyone,
> > kerry

> Fried green tomatoes!!!!!!! ;-d
>
> For a few of them anyhoo. <G>
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:14:23 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>According to Google, this list (at this moment) has 2,572 subscribers.
>
>I'd hardly call that thin. ;-)
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...d.cooking&sel=
>
>Seems that most of them are lurkers, but I do see new names pop up every
>now and then!
>
>We just need to coax a few of them out of the woodwork...

Working on that ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helen Harrand" > wrote in message
. ..
> <snip>
>

> Fried green tomatoes are one of those things that I cannot refuse. I
> absolutely love them. I won't cook 'em (right) becuase I know how much

oil
> you need so when I do them for me I just slice them and spice them and

then
> throw them into a pan with just a smidge of oil and no coating. They're
> good, I still get the greeen tomato flavor but they're guilt free. Now

when
> my best friend makes them (right) with all that oil and flour and stuff I
> will stand there by the pan and eaat each and every one of them as they

come
> out. God they're good but I just can't do it for myself w/out feeling TOO
> guilty.
>
> I've flung a craving all over myself now.

Isn't that funny how people's tastes are different? I've tried fried green
tomatoes at least 3 times in different establishments and I just can't
stomach them. They're bitter, they're hard......... Nope. Don't want to
go there. Give me a vine-ripened tomato, sliced, and I'll eat the heck out
of a BLT.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Helen Harrand" > wrote:

> <snip>
>

> > > Incidently, I'm looking for a recipe for a green tomato (actual
> > > tomatoes, not tomatillos) salsa that I can freeze... anyone got one? We
> > > have an insane crop of tomatoes this year (some weird roma-beefsteak
> > > hybrid that I can't really explain... the wonders of community gardens,
> > > I guess ) and I don't know what to do with them...
> > >
> > > Happy day, everyone,
> > > kerry

> > Fried green tomatoes!!!!!!! ;-d
> >
> > For a few of them anyhoo. <G>
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om
> >

> Fried green tomatoes are one of those things that I cannot refuse. I
> absolutely love them. I won't cook 'em (right) becuase I know how much oil
> you need so when I do them for me I just slice them and spice them and then
> throw them into a pan with just a smidge of oil and no coating. They're
> good, I still get the greeen tomato flavor but they're guilt free. Now when
> my best friend makes them (right) with all that oil and flour and stuff I
> will stand there by the pan and eaat each and every one of them as they come
> out. God they're good but I just can't do it for myself w/out feeling TOO
> guilty.
>
> I've flung a craving all over myself now.
>
> helen

<snicker>

If you don't use a batter, they won't retain much grease...

Like when I deep fry, I wet stuff with water then dredge/dust it in
spiced rice flour. A LOT of that ends up staying in the oil so it has to
be filtered when it cools!

I then drain items in a basket colander over paper towels.

Your idea is even better tho' if you can stand the deprivation....... ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "Helen Harrand" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > <snip>
> >

> > Fried green tomatoes are one of those things that I cannot refuse. I
> > absolutely love them. I won't cook 'em (right) becuase I know how much

> oil
> > you need so when I do them for me I just slice them and spice them and

> then
> > throw them into a pan with just a smidge of oil and no coating. They're
> > good, I still get the greeen tomato flavor but they're guilt free. Now

> when
> > my best friend makes them (right) with all that oil and flour and stuff I
> > will stand there by the pan and eaat each and every one of them as they

> come
> > out. God they're good but I just can't do it for myself w/out feeling TOO
> > guilty.
> >
> > I've flung a craving all over myself now.
> >

> Isn't that funny how people's tastes are different? I've tried fried green
> tomatoes at least 3 times in different establishments and I just can't
> stomach them. They're bitter, they're hard......... Nope. Don't want to
> go there. Give me a vine-ripened tomato, sliced, and I'll eat the heck out
> of a BLT.
>
> kili

I'll eat a vine ripe tomato, sun warm, right off the vine as is..... <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChefsWife" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Grinner wrote:
> > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> Nah, but I'm married to a chef, which (as anyone close to the business
> knows) means that I do most of the cooking . (A somewhat unfortunate
> circumstance for friends and family )

Only if the chef is a man from all that I have seen. I know that my hub has
done quality control in a big way for me for years but has only once picked
up a pan. The only reason he picked up a pan on that particular day was
because he knew I was going to hit him with it if he didn't. He made
noodles in that pan and that kept him breathing that night! I'll tell the
story if anyone is interested. All I know is that in 14 years of marriage
he has picked up a pan and made something for me exactly once.

I hope I never get super sick or super hurt. I know I could stand to lose a
few pounds but I do have the feeling that I could starve to death if I
waited for him to cook something for me!

> Incidently, I'm looking for a recipe for a green tomato (actual
> tomatoes, not tomatillos) salsa that I can freeze... anyone got one? We
> have an insane crop of tomatoes this year (some weird roma-beefsteak
> hybrid that I can't really explain... the wonders of community gardens,
> I guess ) and I don't know what to do with them...
>
> Happy day, everyone,
> kerry

Hummmmm, do you want it just to have green tomatoes or are other ingredients
allowed (making it more like a freezer slaw or chow chow)?

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<snip>

> > Incidently, I'm looking for a recipe for a green tomato (actual
> > tomatoes, not tomatillos) salsa that I can freeze... anyone got one? We
> > have an insane crop of tomatoes this year (some weird roma-beefsteak
> > hybrid that I can't really explain... the wonders of community gardens,
> > I guess ) and I don't know what to do with them...
> >
> > Happy day, everyone,
> > kerry

> Fried green tomatoes!!!!!!! ;-d
>
> For a few of them anyhoo. <G>
> --
> Peace!
> Om

Fried green tomatoes are one of those things that I cannot refuse. I
absolutely love them. I won't cook 'em (right) becuase I know how much oil
you need so when I do them for me I just slice them and spice them and then
throw them into a pan with just a smidge of oil and no coating. They're
good, I still get the greeen tomato flavor but they're guilt free. Now when
my best friend makes them (right) with all that oil and flour and stuff I
will stand there by the pan and eaat each and every one of them as they come
out. God they're good but I just can't do it for myself w/out feeling TOO
guilty.

I've flung a craving all over myself now.

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Helen Harrand" > wrote:

> I hope I never get super sick or super hurt. I know I could stand to lose a
> few pounds but I do have the feeling that I could starve to death if I
> waited for him to cook something for me!

Hope you die after he does or he'll starve to death. Don't ask me what
I'm basing this on.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:
> [calling notbob!] Gene's Fine Foods in <sniff> Saratoga. Both offer
> fresh mozzarella in brine at super-reasonable prices.
>
> The Ranger

What's super-reasonably priced, Ranger? I think the stuff I buy locally
is about $8.50/lb. Each ball (~the size of a baseball) is about a half
pound.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Helen Harrand" > wrote:
> >
> > I hope I never get super sick or super hurt. I know I could stand to

lose a
> > few pounds but I do have the feeling that I could starve to death if I
> > waited for him to cook something for me!

> Hope you die after he does or he'll starve to death. Don't ask me what
> I'm basing this on.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

Nah, we have good, GOOD friends who would take pity on him and feed him.
He'd show up like a puppy every night on their doorstep.

This is why I keep frozen, homemade soup in the freezer. So that I know
that I can still find something good. That's what I'm having right now. I
had a really bad allergy/slight asthma attack night before last and it's
still kinda going on. Benadryl, Loratadine, Singulair, some inhaler thing
and some nose thing. I think we need to pull the carpet up and get the
ducts cleaned. I'm calling about the duct cleaning today and am going to
try and get out of the house so I don't die here coughing.

Bleah, allergies suck.

helen