Old 15-05-2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best pork roast ever

I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a stuffed
loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and leaks out.
Problem solved.

I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I "unrolled"
it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put a layer of
Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a very sharp
provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker crumbs over that to
absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix of garlic, basil,
rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have plenty of salt so none is
needed.

Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast at 325.
When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.

The cracker crumb helped keep the cheese from running out. The flavors were
fantastic, the meat very tender.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old 15-05-2006, 10:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
om:

I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a
stuffed loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and
leaks out. Problem solved.

I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I
"unrolled" it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put
a layer of Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a
very sharp provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker
crumbs over that to absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix
of garlic, basil, rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have
plenty of salt so none is needed.

Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast
at 325. When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.

The cracker crumb helped keep the cheese from running out. The
flavors were fantastic, the meat very tender.

Sounds yummy!!! I haven't tried one in ages. Nice improvisation!

Andy
Old 15-05-2006, 12:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" schreef in bericht
om...
I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a stuffed
loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and leaks out.
Problem solved.

I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I "unrolled"
it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put a layer of
Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a very sharp
provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker crumbs over that
to absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix of garlic, basil,
rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have plenty of salt so none
is needed.

Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast at
325. When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.

It sounds good. How long did it take for the temp to reach 138? I'm asking
because I'd like to try your method and don't have a thermometer for
internal temps. Won't be getting one because I rarely cook large pieces of
meat, so I don't have much use for it.
And did you brown the meat at all?

Old 15-05-2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Andy q wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
om:

[...]

I've never tried it at all...... :-)
Must put on my "must try" list.

Wonder how this would work in the smoker?

I don't like to use my oven......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 15-05-2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ed,
why a cast iron skillet?
do you turn the meat while its cooking in the oven?

Old 15-05-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

those internal thermometers are really cheap these days.............treat
yourself!

..

Old 15-05-2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"readandpostrosie" schreef in bericht
those internal thermometers are really cheap these days.............treat
yourself!

.

It isn't a financial issue, it's a storage/clutter issue

Old 15-05-2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

readandpostrosie wrote:
ed,
why a cast iron skillet?
do you turn the meat while its cooking in the oven?

Cast iron takes oven temps well, which is why many use cast iron
skillets when they need a small roasting pan. And you can use the same
piece of cookware to brown the meat and roast it... also makes it easy
to turn the dripping's into a gravy.

Old 15-05-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerke wrote:
"readandpostrosie" writes:
those internal thermometers are really cheap these days.............treat
yourself!

It isn't a financial issue, it's a storage/clutter issue

You're kidding... of course you're a cheap *******... how much space
does an insta-read themometer require... stick it up your dumb ass,
Jerke.

Old 15-05-2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"Sheldon" wrote:

readandpostrosie wrote:
ed,
why a cast iron skillet?
do you turn the meat while its cooking in the oven?

Cast iron takes oven temps well, which is why many use cast iron
skillets when they need a small roasting pan. And you can use the same
piece of cookware to brown the meat and roast it... also makes it easy
to turn the dripping's into a gravy.

It's just plain convenient. :-)
I have a Griswold #14 and it's large enough to do a turkey in.
Easy to clean and cuts down on the number of pans needed for prep stages.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 15-05-2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cast iron takes oven temps well, which is why many use cast iron
skillets when they need a small roasting pan. And you can use the same
piece of cookware to brown the meat and roast it... also makes it easy
to turn the dripping's into a gravy.

It's just plain convenient. :-)
I have a Griswold #14 and it's large enough to do a turkey in.
Easy to clean and cuts down on the number of pans needed for prep stages.
--
Peace!
Om

i have never found cast iron easy to clean, what am i doing wrong and how do
you do it?

Old 15-05-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

readandpostrosie wrote:
i have never found cast iron easy to clean, what am i doing wrong and how do
you do it?

If your cast iron pan is well seasoned it can be cleaned as easily as a
non-stick pan. Sponge or scrub lightly under running, not soapy,
water, put back on heat to dry thoroughly. Rub in a little oil if
needed. This assumes you've not let it sit out dirty for hours for
crud to become crusty or sticky. If you have had to do that, then soak
the pan for a while.

If you find the pan needs heavy scrubbing to remove stuck-on stuff,
then it's not seasoned well to begin with. Check rfc archives (or
google this group) for many long passionate descriptions of how to
season your pan. -aem

Old 15-05-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 15 May 2006 02:40:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

"Edwin Pawlowski"
om:

I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a
stuffed loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and
leaks out. Problem solved.

I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I
"unrolled" it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put
a layer of Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a
very sharp provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker
crumbs over that to absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix
of garlic, basil, rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have
plenty of salt so none is needed.

Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast
at 325. When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.

The cracker crumb helped keep the cheese from running out. The
flavors were fantastic, the meat very tender.

This sounds phenominal. I printed this out and will do something like it
this weekend. The salami, proscuitto all of it sounds to die for.

Or to die from. It sounds delicious, but somewhat loaded with fatty items.

--

Wayne Boatwright

"How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"

Julia Child
Old 16-05-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
You're kidding... of course you're a cheap *******... how much space
does an insta-read themometer require... stick it up your dumb ass,
Jerke.

Sheldon shares his secrets to an uncluttered kitchen.

Modeled on his empty head.

--Blair

Roast pork? [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 38 10-04-2016 01:20 AM
Pork roast elaich General Cooking 22 13-10-2008 03:44 AM
roast pork Kathy in NZ General Cooking 1 09-12-2005 12:19 AM
My Pork Roast :-) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 58 17-11-2004 04:38 AM
pork roast JD General Cooking 5 24-10-2004 12:04 AM