FoodBanter.com

-   -   Best pork roast ever (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/91462-best-pork-roast-ever.html)

Edwin Pawlowski 15-05-2006 03:32 AM

Best pork roast ever

I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a stuffed
loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and leaks out.
Problem solved.

I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I "unrolled"
it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put a layer of
Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a very sharp
provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker crumbs over that to
absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix of garlic, basil,
rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have plenty of salt so none is
needed.

Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast at 325.
When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.

The cracker crumb helped keep the cheese from running out. The flavors were
fantastic, the meat very tender.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Andy[_2_] 15-05-2006 10:17 AM

Best pork roast ever

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
om:

> I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a
> stuffed loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and
> leaks out. Problem solved.
>
> I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I
> "unrolled" it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put
> a layer of Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a
> very sharp provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker
> crumbs over that to absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix
> of garlic, basil, rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have
> plenty of salt so none is needed.
>
> Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast
> at 325. When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.
>
> The cracker crumb helped keep the cheese from running out. The
> flavors were fantastic, the meat very tender.

Sounds yummy!!! I haven't tried one in ages. Nice improvisation!

Andy

Jke 15-05-2006 12:21 PM

Best pork roast ever

"Edwin Pawlowski" > schreef in bericht
om...
>I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a stuffed
>loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and leaks out.
>Problem solved.
>
> I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I "unrolled"
> it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put a layer of
> Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a very sharp
> provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker crumbs over that
> to absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix of garlic, basil,
> rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have plenty of salt so none
> is needed.
>
> Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast at
> 325. When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.

It sounds good. How long did it take for the temp to reach 138? I'm asking
because I'd like to try your method and don't have a thermometer for
internal temps. Won't be getting one because I rarely cook large pieces of
meat, so I don't have much use for it.
And did you brown the meat at all?

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 15-05-2006 03:21 PM

Best pork roast ever

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
> om:
>
> > I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a
> > stuffed loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and
> > leaks out. Problem solved.
> >
> > I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I
> > "unrolled" it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put
> > a layer of Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a
> > very sharp provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker
> > crumbs over that to absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix
> > of garlic, basil, rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have
> > plenty of salt so none is needed.
> >
> > Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast
> > at 325. When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.
> >
> > The cracker crumb helped keep the cheese from running out. The
> > flavors were fantastic, the meat very tender.

> Sounds yummy!!! I haven't tried one in ages. Nice improvisation!
>
> Andy

I've never tried it at all...... :-)
Must put on my "must try" list.

Wonder how this would work in the smoker?

I don't like to use my oven......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

readandpostrosie 15-05-2006 04:30 PM

Best pork roast ever

ed,
why a cast iron skillet?
do you turn the meat while its cooking in the oven?

readandpostrosie 15-05-2006 04:31 PM

Best pork roast ever

those internal thermometers are really cheap these days.............treat
yourself!

..

Jke 15-05-2006 05:28 PM

Best pork roast ever

"readandpostrosie" > schreef in bericht
> those internal thermometers are really cheap these days.............treat
> yourself!
>
> .

It isn't a financial issue, it's a storage/clutter issue :)

Sheldon 15-05-2006 05:34 PM

Best pork roast ever

readandpostrosie wrote:
> ed,
> why a cast iron skillet?
> do you turn the meat while its cooking in the oven?

Cast iron takes oven temps well, which is why many use cast iron
skillets when they need a small roasting pan. And you can use the same
piece of cookware to brown the meat and roast it... also makes it easy
to turn the dripping's into a gravy.

Sheldon 15-05-2006 05:41 PM

Best pork roast ever

Jerke wrote:
> "readandpostrosie" writes:
> > those internal thermometers are really cheap these days.............treat
> > yourself!
> >

> It isn't a financial issue, it's a storage/clutter issue :)

You're kidding... of course you're a cheap *******... how much space
does an insta-read themometer require... stick it up your dumb ass,
Jerke.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 15-05-2006 06:02 PM

Best pork roast ever

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> readandpostrosie wrote:
> > ed,
> > why a cast iron skillet?
> > do you turn the meat while its cooking in the oven?

> Cast iron takes oven temps well, which is why many use cast iron
> skillets when they need a small roasting pan. And you can use the same
> piece of cookware to brown the meat and roast it... also makes it easy
> to turn the dripping's into a gravy.

It's just plain convenient. :-)
I have a Griswold #14 and it's large enough to do a turkey in.
Easy to clean and cuts down on the number of pans needed for prep stages.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

readandpostrosie 15-05-2006 06:12 PM

Best pork roast ever

>> Cast iron takes oven temps well, which is why many use cast iron
>> skillets when they need a small roasting pan. And you can use the same
>> piece of cookware to brown the meat and roast it... also makes it easy
>> to turn the dripping's into a gravy.

> It's just plain convenient. :-)
> I have a Griswold #14 and it's large enough to do a turkey in.
> Easy to clean and cuts down on the number of pans needed for prep stages.
> --
> Peace!
> Om

i have never found cast iron easy to clean, what am i doing wrong and how do
you do it?

Jke 15-05-2006 06:14 PM

Best pork roast ever

"Sheldon" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...

> Jerke wrote:
>> "readandpostrosie" writes:
>> > those internal thermometers are really cheap these
>> > days.............treat
>> > yourself!
>> >

>> It isn't a financial issue, it's a storage/clutter issue :)

> You're kidding... of course you're a cheap *******... how much space
> does an insta-read themometer require... stick it up your dumb ass,
> Jerke.

Bad day?

aem 15-05-2006 06:27 PM

Best pork roast ever

readandpostrosie wrote:
> i have never found cast iron easy to clean, what am i doing wrong and how do
> you do it?

If your cast iron pan is well seasoned it can be cleaned as easily as a
non-stick pan. Sponge or scrub lightly under running, not soapy,
water, put back on heat to dry thoroughly. Rub in a little oil if
needed. This assumes you've not let it sit out dirty for hours for
crud to become crusty or sticky. If you have had to do that, then soak
the pan for a while.

If you find the pan needs heavy scrubbing to remove stuck-on stuff,
then it's not seasoned well to begin with. Check rfc archives (or
google this group) for many long passionate descriptions of how to
season your pan. -aem

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 15-05-2006 11:03 PM

Best pork roast ever

On Mon 15 May 2006 02:40:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> om:
>
>> I made a fantastic pork loin for dinner tonight. I like to make a
>> stuffed loin, but cheese has always been a problem as it melts and
>> leaks out. Problem solved.
>>
>> I took a section of a boneless loin. Making a cut around it, I
>> "unrolled" it open to expose a lot of surface area. Once open, I put
>> a layer of Toscana salami, a layer of Parma prosciutto, chunks of a
>> very sharp provolone cheese. Then I put a thin coating of cracker
>> crumbs over that to absorb the cheese. Topped all of that with a mix
>> of garlic, basil, rosemary, black pepper. Note that the meats have
>> plenty of salt so none is needed.
>>
>> Rolled it up, tied it, then place it in a cast iron skillet to roast
>> at 325. When it hit 138 I removed it from the oven and let it rest.
>>
>> The cracker crumb helped keep the cheese from running out. The
>> flavors were fantastic, the meat very tender.

> This sounds phenominal. I printed this out and will do something like it
> this weekend. The salami, proscuitto all of it sounds to die for.

Or to die from. It sounds delicious, but somewhat loaded with fatty items.

--

Wayne Boatwright

"How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"

Julia Child

Blair P. Houghton[_1_] 16-05-2006 12:10 AM

Best pork roast ever

Sheldon wrote:
> You're kidding... of course you're a cheap *******... how much space
> does an insta-read themometer require... stick it up your dumb ass,
> Jerke.

Sheldon shares his secrets to an uncluttered kitchen.

Modeled on his empty head.

--Blair

Blair P. Houghton[_1_] 16-05-2006 12:11 AM

Best pork roast ever

Jke wrote:
> "Sheldon" > schreef in bericht
>> [the usual tourette's-inspired ejaculation]

> Bad day?

With Sheldon, it's a bad century. After another.

--Blair

Edwin Pawlowski 16-05-2006 12:57 AM

Best pork roast ever

"Jke" > wrote in message

> It sounds good. How long did it take for the temp to reach 138? I'm asking
> because I'd like to try your method and don't have a thermometer for
> internal temps. Won't be getting one because I rarely cook large pieces of
> meat, so I don't have much use for it.
> And did you brown the meat at all?

Took about 90 minutes. No, it gets a nice browning at 325 degrees.

Edwin Pawlowski 16-05-2006 12:58 AM

Best pork roast ever

"readandpostrosie" > wrote in message
> ed,
> why a cast iron skillet?
> do you turn the meat while its cooking in the oven?

CI because it was the first thing I spotted. We use them often for small
roasts, meatloaves, etc. Cooked fat side up, not turned at all.

Edwin Pawlowski 16-05-2006 01:01 AM

Best pork roast ever

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> I've never tried it at all...... :-)
> Must put on my "must try" list.
>
> Wonder how this would work in the smoker?
>
> I don't like to use my oven......

Only difference is that the fat will not get as crusty. May be even better
that way.

readandpostrosie 16-05-2006 03:25 PM

Best pork roast ever

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> readandpostrosie wrote:
>> i have never found cast iron easy to clean, what am i doing wrong and how
>> do
>> you do it?

> If your cast iron pan is well seasoned it can be cleaned as easily as a
> non-stick pan. Sponge or scrub lightly under running, not soapy,
> water, put back on heat to dry thoroughly. Rub in a little oil if
> needed. This assumes you've not let it sit out dirty for hours for
> crud to become crusty or sticky. If you have had to do that, then soak
> the pan for a while.
>
> If you find the pan needs heavy scrubbing to remove stuck-on stuff,
> then it's not seasoned well to begin with. Check rfc archives (or
> google this group) for many long passionate descriptions of how to
> season your pan. -aem

one more question about cast iron, if you don't mind.

i am a great gravy maker, and wonder if scratching around on a cast iron
with my whisk would be a mistake?
does it lift too much of the seasoned pan?
does that make sense?

Sheldon 16-05-2006 03:38 PM

Best pork roast ever

readandpostrosie wrote:

> one more question about cast iron, if you don't mind.
>
> i am a great gravy maker, and wonder if scratching around on a cast iron
> with my whisk would be a mistake?
> does it lift too much of the seasoned pan?
> does that make sense?

Deglaze with a wooden spoon... preferably one with a flattened lip.

Sheldon

Jke 16-05-2006 06:39 PM

Best pork roast ever

"Edwin Pawlowski" > schreef in bericht
. com...

> "Jke" > wrote in message
>>
>> It sounds good. How long did it take for the temp to reach 138? I'm
>> asking because I'd like to try your method and don't have a thermometer
>> for internal temps. Won't be getting one because I rarely cook large
>> pieces of meat, so I don't have much use for it.
>> And did you brown the meat at all?

> Took about 90 minutes. No, it gets a nice browning at 325 degrees.

Thank you. I never would have considered putting meat into the oven
unbrowned, so now I know I can save myself some work :)