Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roast pork?

My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?

I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:45:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?

I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

I don't know about others but I just roast pork in a small roaster or a Pyrex casserole disk with a glass lid, with a bit of water (to keep it from burning to the roaster or casserole dish), salt and pepper and seasoned with either sage or poultry dressing. I usually turn the roast half way through the roasting and add water if needed. You can roast it loosely covered with aluminum foil if you wish and open it up for the last half hour or so to brown. I generally roast at 325-350 degrees F., for 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on weight.
The cooked noodles, if desired, can be added near the end of the process or serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I often just use hot cooked long grain rice, add a bit of butter and a sprinkle of soya sauce..

Now watch for the critics to tear my method to shreds and tell me I should learn to cook before attempting procedures such as roasting meat.

My guests love the way I cook, so I could care less about the critics. Anyway keep experimenting and enjoy the results.
====
Old 06-04-2016, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

Naw, it works ok. I tend to do that sort uncovered but mostly I do
things like a pork butt or shoulder in a crockpot and turn it to pulled
pork. It just works better here.

Carol

Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds good to me, but then I might not be a worthy critic here. I know what
the poster is talking about because my grandma used to make something like
that that was so good, but I don't know how she did it and have never been
able to get it right either.

Cheri

Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

I would never dream of tearing your method to shreds, but your idea of
'roast' is totally different to mine)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 06-04-2016, 11:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 3:59:34 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

As is mine (except for "pot roast", which is a braise, but the name has
stuck and who am I to contract my grandmother?)

Pork loin, uncovered in a medium oven until about 145 F inside. Rest
and carve.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 06-04-2016, 12:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

Hah don't even think about it! )

Pork loin, uncovered in a medium oven until about 145 F inside. Rest
and carve.

Yes! I am only just coming to terms with calling a joint a 'roast' even if
you are going to boil it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 06-04-2016, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:44:58 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?

I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

My mother always did a pork roast and a veal roast side by side for
Sunday dinner. Within the last year or so I saw several recipes from
the mid-west that combined the two. Did your mother do both roasts?
My mother used salt and pepper, period.
Janet US
Old 06-04-2016, 04:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/6/2016 3:59 AM, Ophelia wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

Same here. Not the way I'd do it, but I don't knock what works.
Keeping the lid on helps keep the meat moist, the removing does give
some browning at the end.

Turkey was often done in those blue enameled roaster with the cover on
pretty much the same way.

When we got our Bertazzoni range with convection oven, the recommended
using higher temperatures with the meat on a rack. It works well.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

I remember those

When we got our Bertazzoni range with convection oven, the recommended
using higher temperatures with the meat on a rack. It works well.

Excellent))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 06-04-2016, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message

[...]

Ooops I meant to add that my oven is convection too and I agree, it works
beautifully

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

Default A WEBTV'ER OF YORE ASKS ABOUT "Roast pork."

On 4/6/2016 12:42 PM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 4/6/2016 11:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
On 4/6/2016 9:33 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 4/5/2016 1:44 PM, wrote:
My mother used to make a pork roast, butt, and it was
simmered until fork tender. In the resultant broth she
would simmer extra wide noodles and it was delicious but
for the life of me I cannot replicate this dish. She had
no fancy spices or herbs nor was garlic or onions used in
this dish. Does anything about this sound remotely familiar?

I have Googled roast pork, pork roast, noodles, etc. with
no satisfying returns. There are hundreds of recipes and
some have ingredients I knew were not in her cupboard. Does
any of this ring a bell with anyone here??

Well, it rings the dinner bell for me, dear heart. I oft recall the
lingering deliciousness of a fatass pork butt wafting throughout Sunset
Chateau, and dear Pleasance working merrily in the kitchen. Pleasance
revealed, in her micro-minnie, legs as long as boats may travel. Ah,
them were the good old daze.

Butt what about the man in the boat, was he saved?

In the Egyptian Book of the Dead, it was Osiris with the mighty dong
that caused the gods to become unseemly jealous of his manshank.
In the end he saved himself and all of Grease.

But as the dwarfish spawn of the Nephilim his parts were rent asunder
and later used for halftime appetizers...

Seth belched but ultimately et on.

Pork roast elaich General Cooking 22 13-10-2008 03:44 AM
Best pork roast ever Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 21 16-05-2006 06:39 PM
roast pork Kathy in NZ General Cooking 1 09-12-2005 12:19 AM
My Pork Roast :-) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 58 17-11-2004 04:38 AM
pork roast JD General Cooking 5 24-10-2004 12:04 AM