Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork roast

I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
in. I'd like to:

1: Cook both of them differently, and

2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
other than oven baking.

Ideas?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
>I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
> in. I'd like to:
>
> 1: Cook both of them differently, and

Stuff one with cheeses, the other do herbs and garlic. Good on the grill
too.

> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
> other than oven baking.
>
> Ideas?

Sure, when we first married we did that all the time. Different positions,
different places. Are you into B&D? Leather?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaich wrote:

> I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
> in. I'd like to:
>
> 1: Cook both of them differently, and
>
> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
> other than oven baking.
>
> Ideas?

Take one to a movie!

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Oct 2008 20:12:19 GMT, elaich > wrote:

>I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
>in. I'd like to:
>
>1: Cook both of them differently, and
>
>2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
>other than oven baking.
>
>Ideas?

What kind of pork roast - shoulder or loin? I would suggest carnitas,
but you don't want to do that to a loin.

http://www.porkrecipes.org/
http://www.porkrecipes.net/
http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 4:12�pm, elaich > wrote:
> I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
> in. I'd like to:
>
> 1: Cook both of them differently, and
>
> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
> other than oven baking.
>
> Ideas?

What cut of pork... such small chunks with bone is likely to be
shoulder (chuck), braising in beer with kraut and kielbasa would
work... serve with boiled potatoes, and more beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, elaich > wrote:

> I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
> in. I'd like to:
>
> 1: Cook both of them differently, and
>
> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
> other than oven baking.
>
> Ideas?

My personal favorite way to make pork roast is a "stab" garlic roast.

Stab the roast deeply at regular intervals (I use about every 1 square
inch) and stuff a sliver of fresh garlic clove into every stab.

Coat the top of the roast liberally with your choice of fresh herbs (I
use mexican oregano and thyme from my garden, along with dried lemon
peel and black pepper) then cover the top with some cabbage or choy
leaves to keep the herbs from drying out.

Roast at 375 for 20 minutes per lb. with some water in the roasting pan
to keep it moist.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> elaich wrote:
> > I found a great deal last night and bought 2.
> > Ideas?

> My personal favorite way to make pork roast is a "stab" garlic roast.
>
> Stab the roast deeply at regular intervals (I use about every 1 square
> inch) and stuff a sliver of fresh garlic clove into every stab.

And you need a gun to stop muggers... just breathe on them! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > elaich wrote:
> > > I found a great deal last night and bought 2.
> > > Ideas?

> > My personal favorite way to make pork roast is a "stab" garlic roast.
> >
> > Stab the roast deeply at regular intervals (I use about every 1 square
> > inch) and stuff a sliver of fresh garlic clove into every stab.

> And you need a gun to stop muggers... just breathe on them! LOL

Will you give it up on the guns already please babe? ;-)
You make much ado about nothing...
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Oct 2008 20:12:19 GMT, elaich > wrote:

>I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
>in. I'd like to:
>
>1: Cook both of them differently, and
>
>2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
>other than oven baking.
>
>Ideas?

Kalua pork is nice for a change. Here's how I did it.
http://kokoscorner.typepad.com/mycorner/kalua-pig.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/4knwou

Since then I've added way more cabbage. It was better.

koko

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
>I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
> in. I'd like to:
>
> 1: Cook both of them differently, and
>
> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
> other than oven baking.
>
> Ideas?

Braise one in milk, using Marcella Hazan's recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 3:12*pm, elaich > wrote:
> I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
> in. I'd like to:
>
> 1: Cook both of them differently, and
>
> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
> other than oven baking.
>
> Ideas?

==============================
Cut one into chunks and make Hungarian Goulash or Pork Paprikash.
Take the other one and julienne some of it and make Moo Shu pork and
freeze the rest.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 7:07�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> �Sheldon > wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > My personal favorite way to make pork roast is a "stab" garlic roast.

> > > Stab the roast deeply at regular intervals (I use about every 1 square
> > > inch) and stuff a sliver of fresh garlic clove into every stab.

> > And you need a gun to stop muggers... just breathe on them! LOL

> Will you give it up on the guns already please babe? ;-)
> You make much ado about nothing...

Sure sounds like you wanna pull that piece on me, show me who's who.
LOL

Hey, don't attack me, you're the one made the big todo, for years
constantly yakking it up about guns here... go back and look at all
the gun threads you initiated (here and all over usenet), and that was
a big no no, a public forum is definitely not the venue for anyone to
boast about concealed weapon ownership (then it's no longer
concealed). Seems to me by this totally uncalled for juvenile
outburst you don't have the self discipline to be a gun owner, you're
a loose cannon... one day soon you're going to lose it and pull that
gun and someone is going to blow you away with it. You don't have the
correct mental attitude to own a weapon, you're unfit... anyone who
publicly announces they carry a concealed weapon is unfit for gun
ownership, no question about it. And I know with absolute certainty
that you don't have thr first clue about what to do with a gun in a
situation, you have no street smarts whatsoever, none... you're the
kind that goes out and gets a carry permit and then looks for trouble,
just like every ego maniac who can't wait to announce to everyone they
got a gun (I hate to say it but you're an idiot). You just proved it
here, a person in control would have ignored my comment or taken it
with the obvious humor intended. I bet you think you're Annie Oakly!
<G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

> On Oct 11, 3:12*pm, elaich > wrote:
> > I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each, bone
> > in. I'd like to:
> >
> > 1: Cook both of them differently, and
> >
> > 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
> > other than oven baking.
> >
> > Ideas?

> ==============================
> Cut one into chunks and make Hungarian Goulash or Pork Paprikash.
> Take the other one and julienne some of it and make Moo Shu pork and
> freeze the rest.
> Lynn in Fargo

Also makes good sausage.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> you're the
> kind that goes out and gets a carry permit and then looks for trouble

On the contrary... Once again, you don't know me at all.

I go out of my way to avoid trouble! Locked doors, fenced yard, pet
dogs, all go a long ways towards home security.

I've talked to MANY people who drive around with their doors unlocked in
their cars! That's just dumb. Even in defensive driving courses, they
teach you to always lock your car doors! I lock them habitually and
always instruct my passengers to buckle up and lock the truck door.

The best offense is a good defense.

Guns are a last resort.

Why do you hate them so? Do you fear them?

I do commute at night since I work night shifts. I don't hang out at
bars or walk down dark ally's. I'm not stupid.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet replied:

>> I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each,
>> bone
>> in. I'd like to:
>>
>> 1: Cook both of them differently, and
>>
>> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be anything
>> other than oven baking.
>>
>> Ideas?

> Braise one in milk, using Marcella Hazan's recipe.

I'll go along with that one, but only if the pork has just the right amount
of fat.

Coincidentally, I also bought two big hunks of pork. They're fairly lean,
but I don't know what part of the pig they're from. In my estimation,
they're too lean to braise in milk. I plan to cut each of them in half. One
half-roast will be slow-cooked in a mixture of olive oil, garlic, cumin,
orange juice, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Another half-roast will be
marinated in a mixture of soy sauce and pineapple juice; that one will be
roasted and used for sweet-and-sour pork and a takeoff on banh mi. The third
half-roast will be cut and pounded into paillards which will be
chicken-fried as in Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. The final half-roast
will be used to make Maher Jaffrey's version of vindaloo.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I wrote:

> The final half-roast will be used to make Maher Jaffrey's version of
> vindaloo.

Frickin' spell-checker changed right to wrong! That should be MADHUR
Jaffrey's version of vindaloo. (I wouldn't normally bother with spelling
corrections, but the lady's contributions to the world of cooking merit
correct spelling of her name.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> What kind of pork roast - shoulder or loin? I would suggest carnitas,
> but you don't want to do that to a loin.

Sorry. They are sirloin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:08:27 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Coincidentally, I also bought two big hunks of pork. They're fairly lean,
>but I don't know what part of the pig they're from. In my estimation,
>they're too lean to braise in milk. I plan to cut each of them in half. One
>half-roast will be slow-cooked in a mixture of olive oil, garlic, cumin,
>orange juice, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Another half-roast will be
>marinated in a mixture of soy sauce and pineapple juice; that one will be
>roasted and used for sweet-and-sour pork and a takeoff on banh mi. The third
>half-roast will be cut and pounded into paillards which will be
>chicken-fried as in Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches. The final half-roast
>will be used to make Maher Jaffrey's version of vindaloo.
>
>Bob

Mmmmmm.....

The local Mexican megamart was selling what they advertised to be as
pork shoulders, for $0.78/pound. However, someone doesn't know their
parts of the pig, cause these are no pork shoulders, but are fresh
hams/pork legs. They split them into two pieces, and I got a package
of them.

I still have the smaller portion in the fridge and am trying to
decide what to do with it. It still has the fat and part of the skin
on it...... That makes for an incredible roast...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaich > wrote in :

> I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each,
> bone in. I'd like to:
>
> 1: Cook both of them differently, and
>
> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be
> anything other than oven baking.
>
> Ideas?

And the winner is.....

koko's kalua pig. At least for this week. I like the cabbage. The other one
goes in the freezer for next week. I'm leaning on the paprikash for that
one, unless something more enticing comes up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Oct 2008 20:14:24 GMT, elaich > wrote:

>elaich > wrote in :
>
>> I found a great deal last night and bought 2. Just over 2 pounds each,
>> bone in. I'd like to:
>>
>> 1: Cook both of them differently, and
>>
>> 2. Do something I've never done before. That would basically be
>> anything other than oven baking.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>

>And the winner is.....
>
>koko's kalua pig. At least for this week. I like the cabbage. The other one
>goes in the freezer for next week. I'm leaning on the paprikash for that
>one, unless something more enticing comes up.

I hope you enjoy it as much as me (or is it I?) and those I've made it
for have.

Yippiee!!!!!!!Horray!!!!!!!!!!!!! My prize is my increased grocery
bill today because of all the great things you all are cooking.
I swear, the rfc bunch are the best cooks.

I bought a pork roast, pumpkins and the brandy to go into the pumpkin
soup, etc...etc... and I still haven't bought the Minestrone soup
ingredients.

By the way, I have a couple of pumpkins cleaned, cubed and roasting as
we type.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/4

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 12 Oct 2008 05:20:43p, koko told us...

> By the way, I have a couple of pumpkins cleaned, cubed and roasting as
> we type.

How exactly do you do that, Koko? Do you peel the cubes first? Ihave always
just halved the pumpkins, cleaned them out, and roasted the halves. When
cool enough to handle I scoop out the pulp. I'd be interested in knowing the
different method.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 10(X)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 1dys 6hrs 25mins
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:37:17 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 12 Oct 2008 05:20:43p, koko told us...
>
>> By the way, I have a couple of pumpkins cleaned, cubed and roasting as
>> we type.
>>

>How exactly do you do that, Koko? Do you peel the cubes first? Ihave always
>just halved the pumpkins, cleaned them out, and roasted the halves. When
>cool enough to handle I scoop out the pulp. I'd be interested in knowing the
>different method.
>
>TIA

I just posted what I did a few minutes ago. I just chunk them up and
peel after they are roasted and cooled a little.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 12 Oct 2008 07:05:26p, koko told us...

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:37:17 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun 12 Oct 2008 05:20:43p, koko told us...
>>
>>> By the way, I have a couple of pumpkins cleaned, cubed and roasting as
>>> we type.
>>>

>>How exactly do you do that, Koko? Do you peel the cubes first? Ihave
>>always just halved the pumpkins, cleaned them out, and roasted the
>>halves. When cool enough to handle I scoop out the pulp. I'd be
>>interested in knowing the different method.
>>
>>TIA

> I just posted what I did a few minutes ago. I just chunk them up and
> peel after they are roasted and cooled a little.
>
> koko

Thanks, cauht it!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 10(X)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 1dys 4hrs 17mins
I'm sure it's clearly explained in the
Zmodem DOC's

Roast pork? [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 38 10-04-2016 01:20 AM
Best pork roast ever Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 21 16-05-2006 06:39 PM
roast pork Kathy in NZ General Cooking 1 09-12-2005 12:19 AM
My Pork Roast :-) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 58 17-11-2004 04:38 AM
pork roast JD General Cooking 5 24-10-2004 12:04 AM