Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Shaved Parmesan @ TJ's

I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
grated cheese. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:

> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
> grated cheese. -aem

KEWL! I'll look for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-22, sf > wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:
>
>> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
>> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
>> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
>> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
>> grated cheese. -aem

> KEWL! I'll look for it.

Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save beauceau
bucks:

http://www.chefdepot.net/cheeseknife2.htm

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:27:36 -0600, notbob wrote:

> On 2006-03-22, sf > wrote:
> > On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:
> >
> >> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
> >> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
> >> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
> >> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
> >> grated cheese. -aem

> > KEWL! I'll look for it.

> Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save beauceau
> bucks:
>
> http://www.chefdepot.net/cheeseknife2.htm

I would use a vegetable peeler if I wanted to "shave" a block of
parmesean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
news
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:27:36 -0600, notbob wrote:

>> Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save
>> beauceau bucks:
>>
>> http://www.chefdepot.net/cheeseknife2.htm
>>

> I would use a vegetable peeler if I wanted to "shave" a block of
> parmesean.

Yep - it's the main workout my vegie peeler gets, I think!

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, "aem" > wrote:
>
> > Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan.

> I don't like anything shaved unless I do it myself.

I'd love to but I have to stay home and shave my cheese.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:12:55 GMT, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, "aem" > wrote:
> >
> > > Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan.

> > I don't like anything shaved unless I do it myself.

> I'd love to but I have to stay home and shave my cheese.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
> grated cheese. -aem

I just got some recently too!
I used it in salad last night that was served alongside a rosemary chicken. Very
tasty.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-03-22, sf > wrote:
> > On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:
> >
> >> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
> >> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
> >> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
> >> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
> >> grated cheese. -aem

> > KEWL! I'll look for it.

> Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save beauceau
> bucks:

Plus, avoid flavor loss/change due to oxidation, which happens a lot
more quickly when there's lots of exposed surface.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2006-03-22, sf > wrote:
>
>>On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:
>>

>>> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
>>> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
>>> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
>>> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
>>> grated cheese. -aem

>>KEWL! I'll look for it.

> Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save beauceau
> bucks:
>
> http://www.chefdepot.net/cheeseknife2.htm
>
> nb

I also use one of those, but when the cheese is too hard for that, I
use a potato peeler of this type:

http://global.kyocera.com/news/2002/images/peeler.jpg (any brand would do)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-23, jake > wrote:

> I also use one of those, but when the cheese is too hard for that, I
> use a potato peeler of this type:

Yes, you can only shaved quality aged semi-hard cheeses that, athough
nicely aged, still have sufficient moisture in them. Those Parmesan
"bricks" in the Albertson's cold case ain't gonna get it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Jude wrote:
>> We finished a tub of it on our raosted-veggie pasta last night. Good

> flavor. And the shavings are a fun change from shreds.
>
> We really liked it on ceasar salad.

Made a kind of cheeseburgers last night: when I was seasoning and
shaping the patties I added a generous amount of this shaved cheese and
mixed it in. Then pan-grilled them the regular way. We liked the
result. -aem