Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Guilt from eating shaved ham

I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of feel that if
you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in a way that respects the
animal/beast. When the meat is shaved into thin little tidbits of slices, it
just seems disrespectful to me.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
"I love hunny."
--Me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-07, Christopher M. > wrote:
> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of feel that if
> you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in a way that respects the
> animal/beast. When the meat is shaved into thin little tidbits of slices, it
> just seems disrespectful to me.

More disrespectful than driving a steel rod through its brain, peeling
off all its skin, and eating it's cold dead flesh? Why don't you jes
cut to the chase and become a vegatarian?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2011 12:04 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of feel that if
> you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in a way that respects the
> animal/beast. When the meat is shaved into thin little tidbits of slices, it
> just seems disrespectful to me.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
> "I love hunny."
> --Me

Don't be so sensitive :-) However, I must admit that the sign displayed
by a local barbecue restaurant showing a happy pig doing the cooking
does bug me some.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm "not"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> On 5/7/2011 12:04 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
>> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I
>> guess I kind of feel that
>> if you're going to eat meat you should prepare
>> it in a way that
>> respects the animal/beast. When the meat is
>> shaved into thin little
>> tidbits of slices, it just seems disrespectful
>> to me.
>>

> Don't be so sensitive :-) However, I must admit
> that the sign
> displayed by a local barbecue restaurant showing
> a happy pig doing
> the cooking does bug me some.

That particular pig is happy because he is doing
the cooking, and not the one being cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 May 2011 12:04:27 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of feel that if
> you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in a way that respects the
> animal/beast. When the meat is shaved into thin little tidbits of slices, it
> just seems disrespectful to me.

I like it sliced thin for sandwiches, but shaved? No thanks. Why are
you eating ham in a way you don't like?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-07, sf > wrote:

> I like it sliced thin for sandwiches, but shaved? No thanks.

What the Hell is the difference? I've yet to see ham with hair.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2011 15:41:06 -0400, Frank Burns
> wrote:
>
>> That particular pig is happy because he is
>> doing
>> the cooking, and not the one being cooked.

> I prefer to think of him as being cold smoked.
> He'll be extra tasty
> once he hits the plate.
>
> -sw

Hmmmmm? I never thought of it that way. You
could be right.

And he never ever suspected. That's why he is
happy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in
:

> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of
> feel that if you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in
> a way that respects the animal/beast.

Should it be carved in the shape of a pig then adored before eaten?

> When the meat is shaved
> into thin little tidbits of slices, it just seems
> disrespectful to me.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
> "I love hunny."
> --Me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sandi" > wrote in message
> "Christopher M." > wrote in
> :
>
>> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of
>> feel that if you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in
>> a way that respects the animal/beast.

> Should it be carved in the shape of a pig then adored before eaten?

I'm not talking about right and wrong. I'm just talking about having respect
for an animal that is eaten, kind of like how some American Indians have
respect for the animals they hunt.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-08, Christopher M. > wrote:

> for an animal that is eaten, kind of like how some American Indians have
> respect for the animals they hunt.

LOL....

Yeah, respect. But they still killed, skinned, and ate the damn
things, didn't they!?

I'm so sick of hearing about the great nobility of the savage red man.
The morons treated women like dogs and would massacre whole
neighboring villages jes to prove they were macho badasses, torturing
men, women, and children in ways that would make a civilized person
blow chunks. Give me a break. Native American Indians were a buncha
waring callus assholes no less savage and horrific than the Europeans
who brutalized and annihilated them.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/05/2011 4:32 PM, Christopher M. wrote:

> I'm not talking about right and wrong. I'm just talking about having respect
> for an animal that is eaten, kind of like how some American Indians have
> respect for the animals they hunt.

Yeah right. That explains some of their hunting practices, the types of
things non-natives are not allowed to do. They like to perpetuate the
myth about all native is being natural born ecologists but most of it is
just a myth. It may have been the Europeans who created a demand for
furs, but it was the natives who trapped the beaver to near extinction.
It was the Europeans who brought rifles to North America, but it was
the natives who used them to shoot everything that moved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-05-08, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Yeah right. That explains some of their hunting practices, the types of
> things non-natives are not allowed to do. They like to perpetuate the
> myth about all native is being natural born ecologists but most of it is
> just a myth. It may have been the Europeans who created a demand for
> furs, but it was the natives who trapped the beaver to near extinction.
> It was the Europeans who brought rifles to North America, but it was
> the natives who used them to shoot everything that moved.

Bingo!

Lived in OR. The "natives" were allowed to catch salmon for their own
use. Nothing in the law to prevent them from fishing the crap outta
migrating salmon for every cent they can get using methods closed to
honkies.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2011 10:32 AM, Christopher M. wrote:

> I'm not talking about right and wrong. I'm just talking about having respect
> for an animal that is eaten, kind of like how some American Indians have
> respect for the animals they hunt.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Humans are the only meat-eaters that think this way. However, being a
guy that's respectful of life, I understand your feelings. Mostly the
meat we eat is an anonymous, abstract, commodity* and that's the whole
point for keeping the meat processing err... process out of our sight.

There ain't nothing more disrespectful that mass killing a group of
creatures that probably enjoy living to some degree, draining the blood
out of them, gutting them, cutting their bodies into reasonable portions
and wrapping and labeling the parts for sale to those that have the money.

The American Indians may have contemplated the brother spirit of the
Buffalo and other animals they killed but mostly the meat we get today
are soul-less lumps of tissue. Of course, there's nothing to stop you
from paying a little respect to the animal the died to feed you - God
knows, we do take the foods we eat for granted.

*OTOH, I could go for a juicy burger right now. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-05-08, Christopher M. > wrote:
>
>> for an animal that is eaten, kind of like how some American Indians have
>> respect for the animals they hunt.

> LOL....
>
> Yeah, respect. But they still killed, skinned, and ate the damn
> things, didn't they!?
>
> I'm so sick of hearing about the great nobility of the savage red man.

I never said that all American Indians were noble. We all know about
scalpings--well, most intelligent people do.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> On 08/05/2011 4:32 PM, Christopher M. wrote:
>

>> I'm not talking about right and wrong. I'm just talking about having
>> respect
>> for an animal that is eaten, kind of like how some American Indians have
>> respect for the animals they hunt.
>>

> Yeah right. That explains some of their hunting practices, the types of
> things non-natives are not allowed to do. They like to perpetuate the
> myth about all native is being natural born ecologists but most of it is
> just a myth.

Yes, I know.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-05-08, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> Yeah right. That explains some of their hunting practices, the types of
>> things non-natives are not allowed to do. They like to perpetuate the
>> myth about all native is being natural born ecologists but most of it is
>> just a myth. It may have been the Europeans who created a demand for
>> furs, but it was the natives who trapped the beaver to near extinction.
>> It was the Europeans who brought rifles to North America, but it was
>> the natives who used them to shoot everything that moved.

> Bingo!
>
> Lived in OR. The "natives" were allowed to catch salmon for their own
> use. Nothing in the law to prevent them from fishing the crap outta
> migrating salmon for every cent they can get using methods closed to
> honkies.

I think Inuits use explosives to hunt something.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 May 2011 14:08:37 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 7 May 2011 12:04:27 -0400, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of feel that if
>> you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in a way that respects the
>> animal/beast. When the meat is shaved into thin little tidbits of slices, it
>> just seems disrespectful to me.
>>

> I like it sliced thin for sandwiches, but shaved? No thanks. Why are
> you eating ham in a way you don't like?

i can't get the deli personnel at the grocery store to slice meat thin
enough to suit me. 'it'll fall apart' they say. it ****es me off.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2011 14:08:37 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 7 May 2011 12:04:27 -0400, "Christopher M."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of feel
>>> that if you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in a way
>>> that respects the animal/beast. When the meat is shaved into thin
>>> little tidbits of slices, it just seems disrespectful to me.
>>>

>> I like it sliced thin for sandwiches, but shaved? No thanks. Why
>> are you eating ham in a way you don't like?

> i can't get the deli personnel at the grocery store to slice meat thin
> enough to suit me. 'it'll fall apart' they say. it ****es me off.

It did fall apart, but it was still shaved ham. Maybe they don't want to put
in the effort.

I think I'd like a thinly-sliced roast-beef sandwich on a butter-toasted
onion roll.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 May 2011 13:10:00 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 7 May 2011 12:04:27 -0400, Christopher M. wrote:
>
>> I feel kind of guilty eating shaved ham. I guess I kind of feel that if
>> you're going to eat meat you should prepare it in a way that respects the
>> animal/beast. When the meat is shaved into thin little tidbits of slices, it
>> just seems disrespectful to me.

>That's only because you're a moron. If you want top respect the
>animal then become a vegetarian. There's another group for vegetarian
>trolls (I though all of them died a while ago).
>
>-sw

<Tongue-in-cheek mode on>

Vegetarians are sadists.

They eat carrots alive and feet-first; the head dies screaming. At
least with broccoli they eat the head first (usually). Though the
broccoli often are tortured--- boiled alive, then eaten *before*
merciful death occurs. And onions... the skin is agonizingly peeled
off before the body is chopped into pieces. The horror!

Oh, the humanity!

Vegetanimy.

Plantinimy. Whatever.

<Tongue-in-cheek mode off>