Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanted : Casserole-like suggestions for a potluck

I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
the following criteria:

- Relatively cheap
- No labour-intensive steps
- Does not use wine
- Does not use vinegar
- Does not use pre-prepared ingredients (box mixes, canned soups, etc)
- Is good cold as well as hot
- Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient
- Preferably, has no dairy, and certainly has no cheese
- Is not a salad-like item

I said "casserole-like" in the intro because that seems practical and most
probable, but anything else that could easily be brought to a potluck
matching these criteria would also be fine.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alex wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
> the following criteria:
>
> - Relatively cheap
> - No labour-intensive steps
> - Does not use wine
> - Does not use vinegar
> - Does not use pre-prepared ingredients (box mixes, canned soups, etc)
> - Is good cold as well as hot
> - Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient
> - Preferably, has no dairy, and certainly has no cheese
> - Is not a salad-like item
>
> I said "casserole-like" in the intro because that seems practical and most
> probable, but anything else that could easily be brought to a potluck
> matching these criteria would also be fine.

Baked ziti is the best I can come up with at the moment.

One thing to consider, though: cold cooked ground beef is kinda nasty, so
your sixth and seventh criteria are almost mutually exclusive.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alex Rast wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck,
> meeting the following criteria:
>
> - Relatively cheap
> - No labour-intensive steps

This hardly sounds like the Alex who normally posts here.
Do you hate these people, or something? :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alex Rast wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
> the following criteria:
>
> - Relatively cheap
> - No labour-intensive steps
> - Does not use wine
> - Does not use vinegar
> - Does not use pre-prepared ingredients (box mixes, canned soups, etc)
> - Is good cold as well as hot
> - Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient
> - Preferably, has no dairy, and certainly has no cheese
> - Is not a salad-like item
>
> I said "casserole-like" in the intro because that seems practical and most
> probable, but anything else that could easily be brought to a potluck
> matching these criteria would also be fine.

Here's what I'm making for a potluck this weekend. It meets over half
of your requirements. I'll probably spring for lean ground beef instead
of using ground turkey this time. I will make it a day ahead, leave it
in the pyrex pan, and take it in the Nesco roaster so it can be heating
up during church even if there's no room in one of the ovens.

Mexican Lasagna Hotdish!

1 package (about 20) fresh corn tortillas
1 (1 pound) pkg ground turkey, thawed [or ground beef, 85% lean]
1 cup (approx) nacho or cheddar cheese sauce [from a humongous can]
1 large (19 to 23 ounce) can enchilada sauce, or 2 small cans
1 (16 ounce) can low-fat refried beans [I used fat-free Taco Bell brand]
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbsp ground New Mexico chile pepper ["chimayo" chile is good]
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 dried whole-leaf oregano, or a big pinch of ground oregano
garlic powder to taste
Monterrey jack or medium cheddar cheese, grated

Mix ground meat, onion, and spices in skillet. Cook until browned,
chopping up with your spatula. Stir in the cheese sauce and heat
through. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour half the enchilada sauce in a 9x13"
lightly greased lasagne pan. Cut a bunch of the tortillas in half so
they'll fit in the pan better. Spread the beans on enough of the
tortillas to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with another layer of
tortillas. Spread the meat mixture over that second layer of tortillas.
Cover with a third layer of tortillas. Pour the remaining enchilada
sauce all over. Rinse the can with a little water and pour that in too.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take out of oven,
remove the foil, and sprinkle the top with that grated cheese that you
thought I forgot about. Put back in the oven, uncovered, for ten
minutes. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.

Best regards,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Alex Rast wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
> the following criteria:
> [snip]
> I said "casserole-like" in the intro because that seems practical and most
> probable, but anything else that could easily be brought to a potluck
> matching these criteria would also be fine.

I think I can meet all these criteria except the one about being good
cold. Shall I go on, or is that a deal breaker? (I've got another
one in mind that is good at room temp but it's not a casserole.)
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alex Rast wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
> the following criteria:
>
> - Relatively cheap
> - No labour-intensive steps
> - Does not use wine
> - Does not use vinegar
> - Does not use pre-prepared ingredients (box mixes, canned soups, etc)
> - Is good cold as well as hot
> - Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient
> - Preferably, has no dairy, and certainly has no cheese
> - Is not a salad-like item
>
> I said "casserole-like" in the intro because that seems practical and most
> probable, but anything else that could easily be brought to a potluck
> matching these criteria would also be fine.
>
> --
> Alex Rast
>
> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Skillet Beef & Noodle
1 medium onion chopped
1-2 cloves garlic minced
1 lb ground beef
1 package (can't remember if the are 16 or 12 ounces) broad egg noodles
cooked and drained
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 pound green beans fresh or frozen
1/2 t. thyme
salt & pepper to taste

Brown beef with onion and garlic, drain grease. Add tomatoes, beans
and thyme to skillet with drained ground beef, simmer until beans are
done, stir in noodles, s&p to taste.

Usually made in an electric skillet, usually served at family reunions.
Thinking this might not be great chilled, but it is IMO good less than
piping hot.

Jessica

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
> the following criteria:
>
> - Relatively cheap
> - No labour-intensive steps
> - Does not use wine
> - Does not use vinegar
> - Does not use pre-prepared ingredients (box mixes, canned soups, etc)
> - Is good cold as well as hot
> - Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient
> - Preferably, has no dairy, and certainly has no cheese
> - Is not a salad-like item
>
> I said "casserole-like" in the intro because that seems practical and most
> probable, but anything else that could easily be brought to a potluck
> matching these criteria would also be fine.
>
> --
> Alex Rast

Skip the ground beef. Any dish using ground beef is going to have a funny
mouth feel when cold due to tiny congealed fat spots. How about a nice
baked bean dish and butter bread or rolls. Makes a nice sandwich when cold.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kibbeh.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...06a8e7 33af8c

It's not labor intensive if you have a food processor. It's good at
room temperature. If you use almonds instead of pine nuts in the
filling, it's quite inexpensive. Baked in a dish, it's the perfect
buffet food.

Serve with plain yogurt.

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Woops - the kibbeh recipe quoted above is the deep-fried version. I
call deep-fried anything labor intensive. Here's my version, baked in a
shallow dish:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...88cd8d 1bc0f3

At a Lebanese party you might see kibbeh served THREE ways - raw (yes,
raw), fried in balls or football shapes, and baked in a tray and cut
into diamonds or rectangles. The baked version is considered more
"homestyle" but I like it because it's healthier and less trouble.

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alex Rast wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
> the following criteria:
>
> - Relatively cheap
> - No labour-intensive steps
> - Does not use wine
> - Does not use vinegar
> - Does not use pre-prepared ingredients (box mixes, canned soups, etc)
> - Is good cold as well as hot
> - Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient
> - Preferably, has no dairy, and certainly has no cheese
> - Is not a salad-like item
>
> I said "casserole-like" in the intro because that seems practical and most
> probable, but anything else that could easily be brought to a potluck
> matching these criteria would also be fine.
>
> --
> Alex Rast

Best I can come up with given your long lost of limitations would be a
big bag or two of frozen pre-cooked shrimp from the supermarket. Have
fallen back on this for potlucks more than once when I've been pressed
for time. Just thaw 'em, grab a nice platter out of the cabinet, pile
the shrimp on a bed of something green(kale's good) with a dish of good
cocktail sauce and some lemon wedges. They're easy to transport and
there are never any left.

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leila > wrote:

>Kibbeh.

Why not Milookhia. Much faster results on who's in and who's not.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

at Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:34:04 GMT in
Terwilliger) wrote :

>Alex wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck,
>> meeting the following criteria:
>>

>Baked ziti is the best I can come up with at the moment.
>
>One thing to consider, though: cold cooked ground beef is kinda nasty,
>so your sixth and seventh criteria are almost mutually exclusive.

IME there are situations where, yes, cold cooked ground beef is bad. But in
other situations it can work. Meat pie is one. Meatballs are another. (I
did like the meatloaf idea but ground pork + ground veal could bump the
price up significantly. I will consider)

Why cold preferred? Here's the background. It's for an event that will be
held about midday. However, at this event there will be other activities
happening from morning until then. We're talking minimum of 2-2 1/2 hours.
It's not practical to make the item in the morning because of the early
start. So it will have to be made the night before. Meanwhile, the place
does have facilities wherein something could be heated, but it would have
to sit, unmonitored, for 2 or more hours, and furthermore others might have
planned on using that (oven, range) anyway and be bringing something which
really *can't* be served cold.

I'd like to use ground beef because then it can be a meat-containing dish
rather than something vegetarian. But it isn't mandatory, just a preferred.
I don't want to use something standard like salami because you know a lot
of other people will bring that.

at Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:38:19 GMT in >,
(Mark Thorson) wrote :

>> - Relatively cheap
>> - No labour-intensive steps

>This hardly sounds like the Alex who normally posts here.
>Do you hate these people, or something? :-)

Not at all. As you know I'm definitely one to go for quality. But quality
and high price aren't necessarily synonymous. Carrots, for example, even
for the best quality imaginable, don't break the bank. Neither do most
grains (with a few notable exceptions, especially in the rice department).
In a similar vein, I definitely go for made-from-scratch as opposed to
store-bought. But made from scratch and labour intensive are similarly not
synonymous. Stew, for example, takes for many varieties minimal effort - it
can be in some cases as simple as dump in pot, add liquid, put on low heat,
wait and serve. The reason in this case it should be relatively cheap and
not labour intensive is because it needs to serve a lot of people, and when
you scale up, expensive and/or labour-intensive things quickly get out of
hand.

I love the kibbeh idea except that ground lamb is relatively expensive.
Otherwise that'd have been a done deal. In fact, it's a bit of a bummer on
the price of lamb, because I know a great many Middle Eastern dishes that
would have been ideal but for their use of lamb rather than beef.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Alex Rast) wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
> the following criteria:
>
> - Relatively cheap
> - No labour-intensive steps
> - Does not use wine
> - Does not use vinegar
> - Does not use pre-prepared ingredients (box mixes, canned soups, etc)
> - Is good cold as well as hot
> - Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient
> - Preferably, has no dairy, and certainly has no cheese
> - Is not a salad-like item
>
> I said "casserole-like" in the intro because that seems practical and most
> probable, but anything else that could easily be brought to a potluck
> matching these criteria would also be fine.

Leave out the cheese, add some marinated artichoke hearts.
You gotta have beef, Alex? Get some beef sticks and cut them in 1/2
inch pieces and mix in. "-)

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Tomato-Garlic Angel Hair

Recipe By : Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 2/10/2006
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Entrees

1 pound angel hair pasta
3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine
remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Rinse and drain pasta; add to
tomato mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Recipe from Salvatore Bertolino, Indiana, PA.Taste of Home,
June/July, 1999; Men Who Run The Range

_____
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alex Rast wrote:
> IME there are situations where, yes, cold cooked ground beef is bad. But in
> other situations it can work. Meat pie is one. Meatballs are another. (I
> did like the meatloaf idea but ground pork + ground veal could bump the
> price up significantly. I will consider)

Try substituting ground turkey for the veal. That bumps the price of
the mixture right back down.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Alex Rast wrote:
> > IME there are situations where, yes, cold cooked ground beef is bad. But

in
> > other situations it can work. Meat pie is one. Meatballs are another. (I
> > did like the meatloaf idea but ground pork + ground veal could bump the
> > price up significantly. I will consider)

> Try substituting ground turkey for the veal. That bumps the price of
> the mixture right back down.
>
> Bob

IMO, ground turkey has no flavor. I can't stand the stuff. Ground pork
isn't *that* expensive. Veal, OTOH.........nah. So far, I think the ziti
thing is the best suggestion, or any kind of cold spaghetti. There are
recipes for cold spaghetti. Heck, it would be simple!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How about you makesome dolmas....stuffed grape leaves? They can be
filled with meat in some and rice i others. Cheap. Good at room temp.
Filling. Different. Serve them on a platter with pita and feta cheese.
(They can be served warm with avegelemono sauce but cold wold be fine
for a potluck)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default kibbeh (was: Casserole-like suggestions for a potluck

Leila wrote:
> Woops - the kibbeh recipe quoted above is the deep-fried version. I
> call deep-fried anything labor intensive. Here's my version, baked in a
> shallow dish:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...88cd8d 1bc0f3
>
> At a Lebanese party you might see kibbeh served THREE ways - raw (yes,
> raw), fried in balls or football shapes, and baked in a tray and cut
> into diamonds or rectangles. The baked version is considered more
> "homestyle" but I like it because it's healthier and less trouble.
>
> Leila

I've just saved off your recipe and instructions for future reference.

My meat grinder came with a kibbeh attachment, I've never figured out
how to use it. It looks like it would extrude a meat/bulgur paste tube
that you would cut into lengths and fill with a spiced meatball mix and
seal the ends.

In your recipe, do you cut all the way thru the layers before baking, or
just mark the top layer? When do you cut them, after they cool? Are
they served in the baking pan? Doesn't the bottom get soggy?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default kibbeh

zxcvbob wrote:
> Leila wrote:
>
>> Woops - the kibbeh recipe quoted above is the deep-fried version. I
>> call deep-fried anything labor intensive. Here's my version, baked in a
>> shallow dish:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...88cd8d 1bc0f3
>>

>> At a Lebanese party you might see kibbeh served THREE ways - raw (yes,
>> raw), fried in balls or football shapes, and baked in a tray and cut
>> into diamonds or rectangles. The baked version is considered more
>> "homestyle" but I like it because it's healthier and less trouble.
>>
>> Leila
>>

> I've just saved off your recipe and instructions for future reference.
>
> My meat grinder came with a kibbeh attachment, I've never figured out
> how to use it. It looks like it would extrude a meat/bulgur paste tube
> that you would cut into lengths and fill with a spiced meatball mix and
> seal the ends.
>
> In your recipe, do you cut all the way thru the layers before baking, or
> just mark the top layer? When do you cut them, after they cool? Are
> they served in the baking pan? Doesn't the bottom get soggy?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I forgot to mention, I'm thinking of trying this with turkey for the
shell, and lamb and pistachios for the filling. Or should the lamb go
on the outside? I have both lamb and turkey in the freezer already, but
just one pound of lamb and not sure where to buy more.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Excuse me for the question: are kibbeh like kebab?
Pandora

"zxcvbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Leila wrote:
>>
>>> Woops - the kibbeh recipe quoted above is the deep-fried version. I
>>> call deep-fried anything labor intensive. Here's my version, baked in a
>>> shallow dish:
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...88cd8d 1bc0f3
>>>
>>> At a Lebanese party you might see kibbeh served THREE ways - raw (yes,
>>> raw), fried in balls or football shapes, and baked in a tray and cut
>>> into diamonds or rectangles. The baked version is considered more
>>> "homestyle" but I like it because it's healthier and less trouble.
>>>
>>> Leila
>>>

>> I've just saved off your recipe and instructions for future reference.
>>
>> My meat grinder came with a kibbeh attachment, I've never figured out how
>> to use it. It looks like it would extrude a meat/bulgur paste tube that
>> you would cut into lengths and fill with a spiced meatball mix and seal
>> the ends.
>>
>> In your recipe, do you cut all the way thru the layers before baking, or
>> just mark the top layer? When do you cut them, after they cool? Are
>> they served in the baking pan? Doesn't the bottom get soggy?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> I forgot to mention, I'm thinking of trying this with turkey for the
> shell, and lamb and pistachios for the filling. Or should the lamb go on
> the outside? I have both lamb and turkey in the freezer already, but just
> one pound of lamb and not sure where to buy more.
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

More like a ravioli, except the outer shell is made of spiced meat
ground with wheat to make a dough.

Bob

Pandora wrote:

> Excuse me for the question: are kibbeh like kebab?
> Pandora
>

> "zxcvbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>zxcvbob wrote:

>>>I've just saved off your recipe and instructions for future reference.
>>>
>>>My meat grinder came with a kibbeh attachment, I've never figured out how
>>>to use it. It looks like it would extrude a meat/bulgur paste tube that
>>>you would cut into lengths and fill with a spiced meatball mix and seal
>>>the ends.
>>>
>>>In your recipe, do you cut all the way thru the layers before baking, or
>>>just mark the top layer? When do you cut them, after they cool? Are
>>>they served in the baking pan? Doesn't the bottom get soggy?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Bob

>>I forgot to mention, I'm thinking of trying this with turkey for the
>>shell, and lamb and pistachios for the filling. Or should the lamb go on
>>the outside? I have both lamb and turkey in the freezer already, but just
>>one pound of lamb and not sure where to buy more.
>>
>>Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Leila wrote:
>
>> Woops - the kibbeh recipe quoted above is the deep-fried version. I
>> call deep-fried anything labor intensive. Here's my version, baked in a
>> shallow dish:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...88cd8d 1bc0f3
>>

>> At a Lebanese party you might see kibbeh served THREE ways - raw (yes,
>> raw), fried in balls or football shapes, and baked in a tray and cut
>> into diamonds or rectangles. The baked version is considered more
>> "homestyle" but I like it because it's healthier and less trouble.
>>
>> Leila
>>

> I've just saved off your recipe and instructions for future reference.
>
> My meat grinder came with a kibbeh attachment, I've never figured out
> how to use it. It looks like it would extrude a meat/bulgur paste tube
> that you would cut into lengths and fill with a spiced meatball mix and
> seal the ends.
>
> In your recipe, do you cut all the way thru the layers before baking, or
> just mark the top layer? When do you cut them, after they cool? Are
> they served in the baking pan? Doesn't the bottom get soggy?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Kibbeh is a staple for church dinners around here. Reason: about 1900 a
large contingent of Maronite Christians from Greater Syria (the Lebanese
part) immegrated to this region of the USA. They nearly always bake them
for the sales as that is quicker and easier than the other method. They
always cut them after baking, don't know why but that's how the ladies
descended from those early settlers do it at our RC church.

I learned how to make kibbeh from a Swiss woman married to a Syrian
military officer when I lived in Saudi. She always made them into the
tiny football type and that's how I learned until I moved here and
learned an easier way. Making kibbeh is a lot less labor intensive than
making dolmas, aka "vine leaves." I love those things too but they sure
eat up a day if they're made right.

George, chiming in on favorite foods

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Leila wrote:
>>
>>> Woops - the kibbeh recipe quoted above is the deep-fried version. I
>>> call deep-fried anything labor intensive. Here's my version, baked in a
>>> shallow dish:
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...88cd8d 1bc0f3
>>>

>>> At a Lebanese party you might see kibbeh served THREE ways - raw (yes,
>>> raw), fried in balls or football shapes, and baked in a tray and cut
>>> into diamonds or rectangles. The baked version is considered more
>>> "homestyle" but I like it because it's healthier and less trouble.
>>>
>>> Leila
>>>

>> I've just saved off your recipe and instructions for future reference.
>>
>> My meat grinder came with a kibbeh attachment, I've never figured out
>> how to use it. It looks like it would extrude a meat/bulgur paste
>> tube that you would cut into lengths and fill with a spiced meatball
>> mix and seal the ends.
>>
>> In your recipe, do you cut all the way thru the layers before baking,
>> or just mark the top layer? When do you cut them, after they cool?
>> Are they served in the baking pan? Doesn't the bottom get soggy?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> Kibbeh is a staple for church dinners around here. Reason: about 1900 a
> large contingent of Maronite Christians from Greater Syria (the Lebanese
> part) immegrated to this region of the USA. They nearly always bake them
> for the sales as that is quicker and easier than the other method. They
> always cut them after baking, don't know why but that's how the ladies
> descended from those early settlers do it at our RC church.
>
> I learned how to make kibbeh from a Swiss woman married to a Syrian
> military officer when I lived in Saudi. She always made them into the
> tiny football type and that's how I learned until I moved here and
> learned an easier way. Making kibbeh is a lot less labor intensive than
> making dolmas, aka "vine leaves." I love those things too but they sure
> eat up a day if they're made right.
>
> George, chiming in on favorite foods

The recipes I've seen don't have any garlic. Lamb and onion mixture
with pepper and allspice seems to just scream for garlic. Is it OK if I
add garlic powder to the filling, or will that ruin it?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> I've just saved off your recipe and instructions for future reference.
>>>
>>> My meat grinder came with a kibbeh attachment, I've never figured out
>>> how to use it. It looks like it would extrude a meat/bulgur paste
>>> tube that you would cut into lengths and fill with a spiced meatball
>>> mix and seal the ends.
>>>
>>> In your recipe, do you cut all the way thru the layers before baking,
>>> or just mark the top layer? When do you cut them, after they cool?
>>> Are they served in the baking pan? Doesn't the bottom get soggy?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>> Kibbeh is a staple for church dinners around here. Reason: about 1900
>> a large contingent of Maronite Christians from Greater Syria (the
>> Lebanese part) immegrated to this region of the USA. They nearly
>> always bake them for the sales as that is quicker and easier than the
>> other method. They always cut them after baking, don't know why but
>> that's how the ladies descended from those early settlers do it at our
>> RC church.
>>
>> I learned how to make kibbeh from a Swiss woman married to a Syrian
>> military officer when I lived in Saudi. She always made them into the
>> tiny football type and that's how I learned until I moved here and
>> learned an easier way. Making kibbeh is a lot less labor intensive
>> than making dolmas, aka "vine leaves." I love those things too but
>> they sure eat up a day if they're made right.
>>
>> George, chiming in on favorite foods
>>

> The recipes I've seen don't have any garlic. Lamb and onion mixture
> with pepper and allspice seems to just scream for garlic. Is it OK if I
> add garlic powder to the filling, or will that ruin it?
>
> Bob

I've eaten kibbeh with LOTS of garlic so some people add garlic. Let me
look at my Arab cookbook: Nope don't see any recipes with garlic, that
doesn't mean you can't add it if you want though. Incidentally, they
transliterate the Arabic to Kibbe, guess it doesn't make any difference
either. The basic recipe in Anne Marie's cookbook calls for:

2 cups fine grain burghol
1 kilo ground lamb from a leg
1 medium onion, chopped
salt
pepper
and as an option Arabian spice mixture. I can post this mixture if
anyone is interested. I got so used to eating it on meat while in the
Middle East I make up a small jar and keep it handy.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:35:23 -0600, George Shirley wrote:
> I can post this mixture if
> anyone is interested.

Please do. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leila wrote:
> Woops - the kibbeh recipe quoted above is the deep-fried version. I
> call deep-fried anything labor intensive. Here's my version, baked in a
> shallow dish:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...88cd8d 1bc0f3
>
> At a Lebanese party you might see kibbeh served THREE ways - raw (yes,
> raw), fried in balls or football shapes, and baked in a tray and cut
> into diamonds or rectangles. The baked version is considered more
> "homestyle" but I like it because it's healthier and less trouble.
>
> Leila

Thanks, Leila. That sounds delicious.

I'm hosting a large group of family skiers next month and
your baked kibbeh sounds like a good solution to one of the meals,
maybe with a fatoush salad.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:22:56 -0000,
(Alex Rast) wrote:

>Why cold preferred? Here's the background. It's for an event that will be
>held about midday. However, at this event there will be other activities
>happening from morning until then. We're talking minimum of 2-2 1/2 hours.
>It's not practical to make the item in the morning because of the early
>start. So it will have to be made the night before. Meanwhile, the place
>does have facilities wherein something could be heated, but it would have
>to sit, unmonitored, for 2 or more hours, and furthermore others might have
>planned on using that (oven, range) anyway and be bringing something which
>really *can't* be served cold.
>
>I'd like to use ground beef because then it can be a meat-containing dish
>rather than something vegetarian. But it isn't mandatory, just a preferred.
>I don't want to use something standard like salami because you know a lot
>of other people will bring that.

If the ground beef isn't a sticking point, I might bring chicken satay
or skewers of grilled chicken and veggies. Both taste good at room
temperature. The chicken and veggies could be marinated in teriyaki
sauce before grilling.

Could you use a small amount of vinegar? Sesame noodles or peanut
noodles are good at room temperature. You could add strips of chicken
if you want to add some meat. Maybe lemon or lime juice could be
substituted for the small amount of vinegar in these dishes.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Alex Rast wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck, meeting
> the following criteria: [snip]

I'd suggest red-cooked chicken wings (quite a few recipes in rfc
archives). The only effort involved is cutting the wings into two
sections (discarding the tips or saving for stock). Or use drumsticks
if they're available at a good price, which they often are. Then just
put all the ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, add the wings and
simmer till done. Leave in the liquid to cool, then drain. They are
excellent finger food, and excellent at room temp. Bought in bulk,
chicken wings are even less expensive than ground beef.

Most recipes for the red-cooking, or "loo", sauce include rice wine or
sherry but that can be omitted if some participants have religious
objections. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> More like a ravioli, except the outer shell is made of spiced meat ground
> with wheat to make a dough.

Oh thank you. It's the first time I hear of them!
Pandora
-------------------------

> Bob
>

> Pandora wrote:
>
>> Excuse me for the question: are kibbeh like kebab?
>> Pandora

>>>I forgot to mention, I'm thinking of trying this with turkey for the
>>>shell, and lamb and pistachios for the filling. Or should the lamb go on
>>>the outside? I have both lamb and turkey in the freezer already, but
>>>just one pound of lamb and not sure where to buy more.
>>>
>>>Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Would moussake come into question?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanted : Casserole-like suggestions...what I did

at Fri, 10 Feb 2006 04:22:25 GMT in >,
(Janet Bostwick) wrote :

>"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck,
>> meeting the following criteria:

>> - Is good cold as well as hot
>> - Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient

>Skip the ground beef. Any dish using ground beef is going to have a
>funny mouth feel when cold due to tiny congealed fat spots. How about a
>nice baked bean dish and butter bread or rolls. Makes a nice sandwich
>when cold. Janet

I went with the consensus advice and avoided the cold ground beef - in a
different way.

I was able to make use of a small portable hotplate I have which solved the
problem of occupying heating facilities other people might want to use.

What I made was meatballs in tomato sauce over mushroom polenta squares.

I used the ground beef to make the meatballs and pre-baked.
Then I made my basic tomato sauce (tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt)
I made mushroom polenta by mixing in 1/2 pounds of chopped criminis into
polenta (2 cups coarse cornmeal, 8 cups water), poured into a large
roasting pan lined with parchment, and once it had congealed, scored it
into squares and baked.

Then, when I arrived at the function, I put the pot with sauce and
meatballs on to simmer on a low hotplate setting and walked away. 2 1/2
hours later everyone came down to perfectly simmered meatballs in sauce. I
then simply spooned a meatball and sauce over each square. Big hit. I got
some comments on the polenta squares just on their own (useful for
vegetarian eaters in the group) It's nice that people can be delighted with
things that are so simple to make.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Fri, 10 Feb 2006 04:22:25 GMT in >,
> (Janet Bostwick) wrote :
>

> >"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> I'm looking for suggestions for something to bring to a potluck,
> >> meeting the following criteria:

> >> - Is good cold as well as hot
> >> - Preferably, uses ground beef as an ingredient

> >Skip the ground beef. Any dish using ground beef is going to have a
> >funny mouth feel when cold due to tiny congealed fat spots. How about a
> >nice baked bean dish and butter bread or rolls. Makes a nice sandwich
> >when cold. Janet

> I went with the consensus advice and avoided the cold ground beef - in a
> different way.
>
> I was able to make use of a small portable hotplate I have which solved

the
> problem of occupying heating facilities other people might want to use.
>
> What I made was meatballs in tomato sauce over mushroom polenta squares.
>
> I used the ground beef to make the meatballs and pre-baked.
> Then I made my basic tomato sauce (tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt)
> I made mushroom polenta by mixing in 1/2 pounds of chopped criminis into
> polenta (2 cups coarse cornmeal, 8 cups water), poured into a large
> roasting pan lined with parchment, and once it had congealed, scored it
> into squares and baked.
>
> Then, when I arrived at the function, I put the pot with sauce and
> meatballs on to simmer on a low hotplate setting and walked away. 2 1/2
> hours later everyone came down to perfectly simmered meatballs in sauce. I
> then simply spooned a meatball and sauce over each square. Big hit. I got
> some comments on the polenta squares just on their own (useful for
> vegetarian eaters in the group) It's nice that people can be delighted

with
> things that are so simple to make.

So the polenta turned out to be kind of a "crust" for the meatball? Like a
mini, open-faced cornbread meatball sandwich? Am I picturing this
correctly?

kili