Alex Rast

Default Suggestions wanted for birthday cake

Upcoming in about a month or so my young nephew is having a birthday, and
I'd like to bake him a cake. He'll be 4. Having observed his current eating
preferences, I have some requirements.

First, it must either be able to be cut up into small, bite-size pieces
(i.e. not slices but pieces - about the size of a pea) without affecting
the ability to get the total experience of the cake in one such piece, or
it must be able to be picked up with small hands and eaten as is, such that
one entire dimension will fit into a small mouth (for example, a large roll
doesn't work - you can't fit it in your mouth, but a large breadstick does
- it's easy to get the thin axis in your mouth and bite off a piece). A
cake that you could slice into parts of this shape would also be fine, as
long as the slice would not then crumble once picked up or bitten into, nor
have to be held in a specific way (such as, for instance, carefully
horizontal and icing-side up). The general concept is that it should not be
in some way unwieldy to eat with hands.

Second, it shouldn't be excessively messy to eat. Believe it or not, this
is a desire of the nephew as much as the parents - he hates getting messy
or sticky.

Third, it should be powerfully chocolatey - of the same level of
chocolatiness as desserts I typically make (see various recipes I've posted
to get the idea). In other words, intense. And it mustn't be dry at that
intensity level.

If it features blueberries, or goes great with blueberries on the side,
that'd be a huge plus as well.

What suggestions do you have?
--
Alex Rast

Peggy

chocolate cheesecake

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> Upcoming in about a month or so my young nephew is having a birthday, and
> I'd like to bake him a cake. He'll be 4. Having observed his current
> eating
> preferences, I have some requirements.
>
> First, it must either be able to be cut up into small, bite-size pieces
> (i.e. not slices but pieces - about the size of a pea) without affecting
> the ability to get the total experience of the cake in one such piece, or
> it must be able to be picked up with small hands and eaten as is, such
> that
> one entire dimension will fit into a small mouth (for example, a large
> roll
> doesn't work - you can't fit it in your mouth, but a large breadstick does
> - it's easy to get the thin axis in your mouth and bite off a piece). A
> cake that you could slice into parts of this shape would also be fine, as
> long as the slice would not then crumble once picked up or bitten into,
> nor
> have to be held in a specific way (such as, for instance, carefully
> horizontal and icing-side up). The general concept is that it should not
> be
> in some way unwieldy to eat with hands.
>
> Second, it shouldn't be excessively messy to eat. Believe it or not, this
> is a desire of the nephew as much as the parents - he hates getting messy
> or sticky.
>
> Third, it should be powerfully chocolatey - of the same level of
> chocolatiness as desserts I typically make (see various recipes I've
> posted
> to get the idea). In other words, intense. And it mustn't be dry at that
> intensity level.
>
> If it features blueberries, or goes great with blueberries on the side,
> that'd be a huge plus as well.
>
> What suggestions do you have?
> --
> Alex Rast
>
> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Tue, 5
Oct 2004 06:16:20 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News
Flash "Peggy" > reported:

>chocolate cheesecake

Sounds not chocolatey enough, if you ask me.

My friend always makes the devils food cake from the old Betty Crocker
cookbook. Always comes out wonderful. She won't give me the recipe.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
The Cook

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:

>(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Tue, 5
>Oct 2004 06:16:20 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News
>Flash "Peggy" > reported:
>
>>chocolate cheesecake

>Sounds not chocolatey enough, if you ask me.
>
>My friend always makes the devils food cake from the old Betty Crocker
>cookbook. Always comes out wonderful. She won't give me the recipe.

I have all the Betty Crocker Cook Books. There are 2 Devils Food Cake
recipes in the 1950 book -- Black or Dark. If you are interested I
will try to get them type in soon and send them to you.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
The Cook

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:

>(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Tue, 5
>Oct 2004 06:16:20 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News
>Flash "Peggy" > reported:
>
>>chocolate cheesecake

>Sounds not chocolatey enough, if you ask me.
>
>My friend always makes the devils food cake from the old Betty Crocker
>cookbook. Always comes out wonderful. She won't give me the recipe.

I have all the Betty Crocker Cook Books. There are 2 Devils Food Cake
recipes in the 1950 book -- Black or Dark. If you are interested I
will try to get them type in soon and send them to you.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Karen

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> Upcoming in about a month or so my young nephew is having a birthday, and
> I'd like to bake him a cake. He'll be 4. Having observed his current
> eating
> preferences, I have some requirements.
>
> First, it must either be able to be cut up into small, bite-size pieces
> (i.e. not slices but pieces - about the size of a pea) without affecting
> the ability to get the total experience of the cake in one such piece, or
> it must be able to be picked up with small hands and eaten as is, such
> that
> one entire dimension will fit into a small mouth (for example, a large
> roll
> doesn't work - you can't fit it in your mouth, but a large breadstick does
> - it's easy to get the thin axis in your mouth and bite off a piece). A
> cake that you could slice into parts of this shape would also be fine, as
> long as the slice would not then crumble once picked up or bitten into,
> nor
> have to be held in a specific way (such as, for instance, carefully
> horizontal and icing-side up). The general concept is that it should not
> be
> in some way unwieldy to eat with hands.
>
> Second, it shouldn't be excessively messy to eat. Believe it or not, this
> is a desire of the nephew as much as the parents - he hates getting messy
> or sticky.
>
> Third, it should be powerfully chocolatey - of the same level of
> chocolatiness as desserts I typically make (see various recipes I've
> posted
> to get the idea). In other words, intense. And it mustn't be dry at that
> intensity level.
>
> If it features blueberries, or goes great with blueberries on the side,
> that'd be a huge plus as well.
>
> What suggestions do you have?
> --
> Alex Rast
>
> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

This isn't a fancy cake, but it goes over very well with little kids...and
much bigger kids, too! :-)

Karen

Triple Chocolate Cake

1 18.5-ounce box devil's food cake mix (I use Pillsbury Plus)
1 4-serving size box chocolate pudding (the kind you cook; instant pudding
won't work at all with this recipe)
1 12-ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips Note: I prefer Ghirardelli
to Nestle or Hershey chips; Ghirardelli results in a much smoother taste
without the acid bite that the other two have.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare and cook pudding according to box
directions. Pour dry cake mix into hot pudding; mix well. Spread batter in
13x9x2-inch pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle
chocolate chips evenly over top of batter. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until
toothpick inserted in center of cake (avoid chocolate chips during testing)
comes out clean. Cool several hours (overnight is good). Cut into squares
to serve. May be topped with ice cream if desired.

Peggy

Brownies

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> Upcoming in about a month or so my young nephew is having a birthday, and
> I'd like to bake him a cake. He'll be 4. Having observed his current

eating
> preferences, I have some requirements.
>
> First, it must either be able to be cut up into small, bite-size pieces
> (i.e. not slices but pieces - about the size of a pea) without affecting
> the ability to get the total experience of the cake in one such piece, or
> it must be able to be picked up with small hands and eaten as is, such

that
> one entire dimension will fit into a small mouth (for example, a large

roll
> doesn't work - you can't fit it in your mouth, but a large breadstick does
> - it's easy to get the thin axis in your mouth and bite off a piece). A
> cake that you could slice into parts of this shape would also be fine, as
> long as the slice would not then crumble once picked up or bitten into,

nor
> have to be held in a specific way (such as, for instance, carefully
> horizontal and icing-side up). The general concept is that it should not

be
> in some way unwieldy to eat with hands.
>
> Second, it shouldn't be excessively messy to eat. Believe it or not, this
> is a desire of the nephew as much as the parents - he hates getting messy
> or sticky.
>
> Third, it should be powerfully chocolatey - of the same level of
> chocolatiness as desserts I typically make (see various recipes I've

posted
> to get the idea). In other words, intense. And it mustn't be dry at that
> intensity level.
>
> If it features blueberries, or goes great with blueberries on the side,
> that'd be a huge plus as well.
>
> What suggestions do you have?
> --
> Alex Rast
>
> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Dave Bell

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:

> >My friend always makes the devils food cake from the old Betty Crocker
> >cookbook. Always comes out wonderful. She won't give me the recipe.

Here's one form RecipeSource.com, that purports to be one of Betty
Crocker's:

http://www.recipesource.com/desserts...6/rec3621.html

I'm sure there are many more there, but they're in server overload right
now!

Dave
Alex Rast

at Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:00:05 GMT in <VaC8d.336128$Fg5.132248@attbi_s53>,
(Karen) wrote :

>"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
>> Upcoming in about a month or so my young nephew is having a birthday,
>> and I'd like to bake him a cake. He'll be 4. Having observed his
>> current eating
>> preferences, I have some requirements.
>>
>> First, it must either be able to be cut up into small, bite-size
>> pieces (i.e. not slices but pieces - about the size of a pea) without
>> affecting the ability to get the total experience of the cake in one
>> such piece, or it must be able to be picked up with small hands and
>> eaten as is, such that
>> one entire dimension will fit into a small mouth (for example, a large
>> roll
>> doesn't work - you can't fit it in your mouth, but a large breadstick
>> does - it's easy to get the thin axis in your mouth and bite off a
>> piece). A cake that you could slice into parts of this shape would
>> also be fine, as long as the slice would not then crumble once picked
>> up or bitten into, nor
>> have to be held in a specific way (such as, for instance, carefully
>> horizontal and icing-side up). The general concept is that it should
>> not be
>> in some way unwieldy to eat with hands.
>>
>> Second, it shouldn't be excessively messy to eat. Believe it or not,
>> this is a desire of the nephew as much as the parents - he hates
>> getting messy or sticky.
>>
>> Third, it should be powerfully chocolatey - of the same level of
>> chocolatiness as desserts I typically make (see various recipes I've
>> posted
>> to get the idea). In other words, intense. And it mustn't be dry at
>> that intensity level.
>>
>> If it features blueberries, or goes great with blueberries on the
>> side, that'd be a huge plus as well.
>>
>> What suggestions do you have?
>> --
>> Alex Rast
>>

>> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

>This isn't a fancy cake, but it goes over very well with little
>kids...and much bigger kids, too! :-)
>
>Triple Chocolate Cake
>
>1 18.5-ounce box devil's food cake mix (I use Pillsbury Plus)
>1 4-serving size box chocolate pudding (the kind you cook; instant
>pudding won't work at all with this recipe)
>1 12-ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Thanks for the suggestion, but, sorry, if you know my inclinations from
recipes. Part of the problem is that you have no control over ingredient
proportions and the decisions the mix-maker made when deciding what the
flavour balance would be. Furthermore, very few mixes indeed use the best
quality ingredients all round, as I'm inclined to do. In the case of cake
mixes, virtually all of them are far, far too sweet IMHO. Because of the
high sugar proportion, inevitably they're not going to be chocolatey enough
(there just isn't enough proportion left over for chocolate) and you end up
with something bland and sugary. It's unlikely that they'll use good
chocolate in the mix: for a start, it's probable that they'll use cocoa,
and then probably one of the cheaper brands. A lot of cake mixes also use
Dutch cocoa, which further mutes the flavour. Whatever the case may be, you
have no control over the brand and type they used and can't usually find
out which one it was. Same basic rules tend to apply to chocolate pudding
mixes. However, the *concept* might work well, implemented as follows:

1) Make a chocolate custard-based pudding. I think the recipe for chocolate
ice cream I've posted in the past might work well. You just don't freeze
it. But I would allow it to cool.

2) Mix up the dry ingredients for a Devil's food cake. Then do the
necessary creaming of butter with sugar. Mix those components together.

3) Mix in the pudding.

4) Beat egg whites and fold in.

5) Add chocolate chips on top.

6) Bake.

> Note: I prefer
>Ghirardelli to Nestle or Hershey chips; Ghirardelli results in a much
>smoother taste without the acid bite that the other two have.

I've made several postings as to chocolate chip choice in the past. The
ones you want are the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chocolate Chips, which
are easily the best. They come in a bag with dark-brown sides, as opposed
to the yellow-gold sides of the "regular" Ghirardelli chips.

>Flash "Peggy" > reported:
>>chocolate cheesecake

>Sounds not chocolatey enough, if you ask me.

From my POV there are additional issues with cheesecake. None of the people
in this family (myself included) are that wild about cheesecake. Even more
importantly, cheesecake is very messy to eat with your hands, and difficult
even to pick up with your hands. So my young nephew, I'm sure, wouldn't be
thrilled.

>My friend always makes the devils food cake from the old Betty Crocker
>cookbook. Always comes out wonderful.

I sense a lot of people gravitating towards Devil's Food cake. It might
work, but I'm concerned about the crumbliness factor, and the ability to
cut into small, bite-size pieces. What are peoples' experiences and/or
suggestions in dealing with this?

at Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:17:02 GMT in >,
(Peggy) wrote :

>Brownies

I could certainly make my brownie recipe and cut it up very small. It has
the cohesiveness to hold together no problem at all. It seems a little
pedestrian all on its own - I'm thinking of ways to make it a little more
flashy. Thoughts, anyone?

--
Alex Rast

SheridR

Coming out of lurkdom here with a suggestion.

Would petit fours work? You could make them individually, using a poured
chocolate ganache for the glaze/frosting. Push them all together into whatever
shape you'd like, then whip your leftover, cooled ganache and use it to
decorate. Kind of like the cupcake cakes that are so popular right now.

Does that make any sense?

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Tue, 5
Oct 2004 13:25:15 -0700, during the rec.food.baking Community News
Flash Dave Bell > reported:

>Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:
>>
>> >My friend always makes the devils food cake from the old Betty Crocker
>> >cookbook. Always comes out wonderful. She won't give me the recipe.

>Here's one form RecipeSource.com, that purports to be one of Betty
>Crocker's:
>
>http://www.recipesource.com/desserts...6/rec3621.html
>
>I'm sure there are many more there, but they're in server overload right
>now!

Only 2oz of chocolate! That's, what, just over 50grams. Hardly
chocolatey, in my book. Plus, from what I understand, there's no milk
in the recipe. She uses soda water (not club soda) instead so that we
can eat it after Meat meals.

You could use a chocolate mouse cake and add some flour to it. Mine
calls for 200 grams of dark chocolate, but only 100 grams of powdered
sugar so its on the unsweet side. Let me know if you want that
recipe.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Tue, 5
Oct 2004 11:17:02 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News
Flash "Peggy" > reported:

>Brownies

Very good idea. I make mine with 2/3 cup of cocoa plus 100 grams of
melted chocolate - which I melt with the margarine.

(But i also add about 2 tablespoons of instant coffee, plus Kaluah in
addition to the vanilla, so its slightly less sweet and a bit on the
mocha side.)