Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default making,using,storing flavoured oils

Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Garlic oil can be a hazard! Storing garlic in oil is not safe --
botulism! Throw it out!!!! (and check with your local health
department or USDA about garlic in oil)

The oil I make and use most often is made with cleaned and then dried
rosemary springs, which I poke into a smallish bottle of very good
olive oil. I add a few whole peppercorns, too. Shelf life for that
oil seems very good, and I make enough to last until the following
year. Another very nice oil to make is olive oil with cleaned, dried
lemon peels (only the zest part -- no white pith!) That is a wonderful
oil for salad dressings, and seems to have at least a year of shelf
life, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, biig > wrote:

> Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
> cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon

From
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31

How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mary wrote:
> Garlic oil can be a hazard! Storing garlic in oil is not safe --
> botulism! Throw it out!!!! (and check with your local health
> department or USDA about garlic in oil)
>
> The oil I make and use most often is made with cleaned and then dried
> rosemary springs, which I poke into a smallish bottle of very good
> olive oil. I add a few whole peppercorns, too. Shelf life for that
> oil seems very good, and I make enough to last until the following
> year. Another very nice oil to make is olive oil with cleaned, dried
> lemon peels (only the zest part -- no white pith!) That is a wonderful
> oil for salad dressings, and seems to have at least a year of shelf
> life, too.

I'm totally the luckiest little ******* in the world. When I was in college I
used to fill deorative bottles with oil and garlic (roasted or raw) and sun
dried tomatoes and it lived on my counter and I used it to saute food all the
time.

I freaked when I read about the botulism thing later. I had no idea. Luckiest
******* in the world.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
> cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon

Everything I've read on making flavored oils says 'don't do a flavored oil
with garlic'. There is a problem with botulism. Other oils, such as rosemary
(2 Tblsp to a pint) or oregano flavored (same), are fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
> cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon

See Barb's note in this thread - don't do ANY herb-flavored oils unless
you store them in the fridge and use them within a few days.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> "biig" > wrote in message ...
> >
> > Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
> > cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon

> Everything I've read on making flavored oils says 'don't do a flavored oil
> with garlic'. There is a problem with botulism. Other oils, such as rosemary
> (2 Tblsp to a pint) or oregano flavored (same), are fine.

It isn't safe to do ANY herb-flavored oils, including oregano,
rosemary, parsley, or anything else. Read Barb's post in this thread.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy1 wrote:

> Kswck wrote:
> > "biig" > wrote in message ...
> > >
> > > Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
> > > cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon

> > Everything I've read on making flavored oils says 'don't do a flavored oil
> > with garlic'. There is a problem with botulism. Other oils, such as rosemary
> > (2 Tblsp to a pint) or oregano flavored (same), are fine.

> It isn't safe to do ANY herb-flavored oils, including oregano,
> rosemary, parsley, or anything else. Read Barb's post in this thread.
>
> N.

Actually, making the stuff is not a problem, it's the keeping that's the problem.
Flavored oils made with fresh produce can be kept refrigerated for a few days.
Made with dried herbs or garlic, a week or so, refrigerated. Flavored vinegar on
the other hand keeps forever even out of the fridge.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Joneses wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
>

>>Kswck wrote:

>>>Everything I've read on making flavored oils says 'don't do a flavored oil
>>>with garlic'. There is a problem with botulism. Other oils, such as rosemary
>>>(2 Tblsp to a pint) or oregano flavored (same), are fine.

>>It isn't safe to do ANY herb-flavored oils, including oregano,
>>rosemary, parsley, or anything else. Read Barb's post in this thread.
>>
>>N.

> Actually, making the stuff is not a problem, it's the keeping that's the problem.
> Flavored oils made with fresh produce can be kept refrigerated for a few days.
> Made with dried herbs or garlic, a week or so, refrigerated. Flavored vinegar on
> the other hand keeps forever even out of the fridge.

Keeping isn't a problem unless you want to leave the solids in the oil.
When I make commercial infused oils, I warm the oils with the solids
in them to extract the volatiles from herbs, garlic, citrus zest, etc. I
let them infuse for 24 hours and then filter out all the solids, and
discard them. I use paper filters so they'll absorb any water-based
liquids emitted by the solids. That resulting filtered oil can be stored
at room temp for a reasonable time, preferably in the dark. Storing it
in the fridge will lengthen its useful life.

Vinegars will lose potency over time. I make a hot pepper vinegar that
will help anyone focus on their dead and dying taste buds. But after a
year, it's nowhere near as potent. There's no reason to store vinegar in
the fridge.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
> cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon

An easy solution is to add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the oil..
about 1tbsp per cup of oil.. this stops the spores from reproducing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Steinbach wrote:
> biig wrote:
>
>> Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
>> cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon

> An easy solution is to add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the oil..
> about 1tbsp per cup of oil.. this stops the spores from reproducing

Lemon juice and vinegar are not soluble in oil. So it won't work.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Steinbach wrote:
> biig wrote:
>
>> Has anyone has any experience with this? I made some with garlic
>> cloves, but read on the ng that shelf life is not great. tia...Sharon

> An easy solution is to add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the oil..
> about 1tbsp per cup of oil.. this stops the spores from reproducing

Sorry. That's not true. The vinegar or lemon juice won't mix with the
oil. Spores don't reproduce. Don't guess about this stuff.

It's a very bad idea to put any fresh foods of any kind into oils unless
you fully understand the conditions that render it safe.

If you don't know what you're doing, it only takes once to change your
life forever. You could kill someone, or perhaps worse, maim them for
life. Or yourself.

Pastorio