Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

Default English muffins

Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

Just sayin.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

Nancy Young wrote:
> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
>
> Just sayin.
>
> nancy

Also, no matter how you handle them, the two halves always stick
together. But once you pry the halves apart, toast them, butter them
and put some very special jam on them (Blushing Peach today, which has
nothing to blush about), you forget all about the inconveniences that
you encountered. This was a really good breakfast this morning!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
>
> Just sayin.
>
> nancy

Who is this *they*?!?

Just askin'.

Shaun aRe, even split muffins here thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Shaun aRe" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
>> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
>> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
>>
>> Just sayin.

> Who is this *they*?!?

> Just askin'.

> Shaun aRe, even split muffins here thanks.

Oh, don't play like you don't know ... Thomas', that
bakery from England. Came over here with the uneven
muffins.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> >> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> >> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
> >>
> >> Just sayin.

> > Who is this *they*?!?

> > Just askin'.

> > Shaun aRe, even split muffins here thanks.

> Oh, don't play like you don't know ... Thomas', that
> bakery from England. Came over here with the uneven
> muffins.

I don' believe you - they must be Americanian muffins not Englundiaish ones.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Margaret Suran" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
>> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
>> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

> Also, no matter how you handle them, the two halves always stick
> together. But once you pry the halves apart, toast them, butter them and
> put some very special jam on them (Blushing Peach today, which has nothing
> to blush about), you forget all about the inconveniences that you
> encountered. This was a really good breakfast this morning!

I love english muffins for breakfast! Once you pry the larger
'half' out of the toaster and dig for the smaller one (with a metal
knife, natch), you're good to go.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Nancy Young wrote:
> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
>
> Just sayin.

I don't know where you get yours but my Thomas' are all virgins... I
fork em myself... and I have purty good aim with nooky, not so good
with cranny

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
>
> Just sayin.
>
> nancy

I just slice 'em like a bagel...... :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> > out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> > a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
> >
> > Just sayin.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> I just slice 'em like a bagel...... :-)

I suppose you don't get your nooky and cranny buttered too often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> > > Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> > > out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> > > a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
> > >
> > > Just sayin.
> > >
> > > nancy
> > >

> > I just slice 'em like a bagel...... :-)

> I suppose you don't get your nooky and cranny buttered too often.

No more than yours......
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Nancy Young wrote the following -._
> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

Then they would look fake and people wouldn't buy them. Sometimes
defects are intentional because they add character or the appearance
of authenticity.

What gets me is that 'they' have many flavors out there including
light and whole grain kinds but even these have high fructose corn
syrup. Can I get healthy muffins without the HFCS. Is that too much
to ask?

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Nancy Young wrote:

> I love english muffins for breakfast! Once you pry the larger
> 'half' out of the toaster and dig for the smaller one (with a metal
> knife, natch), you're good to go.

Toaster oven. What I find amusing about English muffins is that they
were (intelligently) designed to encourage you to slather on a lot of
butter, yet cream cheese works so well on them. -ae,

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"aem" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I love english muffins for breakfast! Once you pry the larger
>> 'half' out of the toaster and dig for the smaller one (with a metal
>> knife, natch), you're good to go.
>>

> Toaster oven.

Actually, I have been toying with the idea of getting a
toaster oven, no, not to make toast, but I'm going to look
at them. I think I'd really like one in the summer, especially.

Or for the occasional leftover eggroll.

> What I find amusing about English muffins is that they
> were (intelligently) designed to encourage you to slather on a lot of
> butter, yet cream cheese works so well on them.

I do love both of those in unseemly quantities ... and
english muffins make for great delivery systems.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > I just slice 'em like a bagel...... :-)

> > I suppose you don't get your nooky and cranny buttered too often.
> >

> No more than yours......

Mine has no nooky, or cranny.... but drawn butter, enough to drown you!
hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:44:40 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>"Margaret Suran" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
>>> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
>>> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

>> Also, no matter how you handle them, the two halves always stick
>> together. But once you pry the halves apart, toast them, butter them and
>> put some very special jam on them (Blushing Peach today, which has nothing
>> to blush about), you forget all about the inconveniences that you
>> encountered. This was a really good breakfast this morning!

>I love english muffins for breakfast! Once you pry the larger
>'half' out of the toaster and dig for the smaller one (with a metal
>knife, natch), you're good to go.

I have two words for you: Toaster oven. :-)

serene, who never has to pry toast/muffins/bagels out of anywhere

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article .com>,

> > > I suppose you don't get your nooky and cranny buttered too often.
> > >

> > No more than yours......

> Mine has no nooky, or cranny.... but drawn butter, enough to drown you!
> hehe

In your dreams babycakes....... ;-D
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:dqljih$nt2$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?
>
> Just sayin.
>
> nancy

nancy,

Write them. It's mad science. Has been for decades.

ANdy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Andy" <q> wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
>> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
>> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

> Write them. It's mad science. Has been for decades.

(laugh) But then what kind of nonsense could I amuse myself
with? I need lopsided breakfast bread.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> >> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> >> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

> > Write them. It's mad science. Has been for decades.
> >

> (laugh) But then what kind of nonsense could I amuse myself
> with? I need lopsided breakfast bread.
>
> nancy

But generally when you send complaints to a company, they send you
coupons...... ;-)

Got some free cat food that way! <lol>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > "Andy" <q> wrote
> >
> > > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> > > Write them. It's mad science. Has been for decades.
> > >

> > (laugh) But then what kind of nonsense could I amuse myself
> > with? I need lopsided breakfast bread.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> But generally when you send complaints to a company, they send you
> coupons...... ;-)
>
> Got some free cat food that way! <lol>

Generally when you give a product compliments you get twice as many
coupons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Sheldon wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>

>>>"Andy" <q> wrote

>>>(laugh) But then what kind of nonsense could I amuse myself
>>>with? I need lopsided breakfast bread.
>>>
>>>nancy
>>>

>>But generally when you send complaints to a company, they send you
>>coupons...... ;-)
>>
>>Got some free cat food that way! <lol>

> Generally when you give a product compliments you get twice as many
> coupons.

hey, you oculd try both and get lots of coupons

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:04:42 -0800, serene wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:44:40 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
> >> Also, no matter how you handle them, the two halves always stick
> >> together. But once you pry the halves apart, toast them, butter them and
> >> put some very special jam on them (Blushing Peach today, which has nothing
> >> to blush about), you forget all about the inconveniences that you
> >> encountered. This was a really good breakfast this morning!

> >I love english muffins for breakfast! Once you pry the larger
> >'half' out of the toaster and dig for the smaller one (with a metal
> >knife, natch), you're good to go.

> I have two words for you: Toaster oven. :-)
>
> serene, who never has to pry toast/muffins/bagels out of anywhere

or you can switch to a Cuisanart toaster, which someone so eloquently
said "ejects" the toast.... right out of the toaster and onto the
counter, just like a cartoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>>"Nancy Young" > wrote

>>>Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
>>>out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
>>>a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

>>Write them. It's mad science. Has been for decades.
>>

> (laugh) But then what kind of nonsense could I amuse myself
> with? I need lopsided breakfast bread.

If you make your own, you could cut them vertically and just imagine how
much fun that would be. A column I wrote back in the last century about
them. And a variant that's utterly decadent. Enjoy.

Pastorio
-----------------------------
English muffins explained
I never had an English muffin in England. At least, not one I
recognized. I did have crumpets, though and they seemed like distant
cousins to what I had had in this country. I liked theirs better.
Think about this for a minute. What is bread like when it’s been in a
package for a week or more? Right. At least starting to get stale, what
with all the magical chemistry going on inside the plastic wrap. Same
for the muffins. They are not, how you say, at the peak of flavor and
texture.
English muffins are a kind of yeast bread and they should prove to be
fairly easy. There are two distinct techniques for shaping English
muffins. Take your choice. And we’ll look at a variation that produces
the most luxuriously sensuous texture you’ve ever seen in a baked product.
And we’ll see about crumpets. What are crumpets, anyway? We’ll see
that, too.
To bake them, you’ll need a griddle and I prefer cast iron. Even heat
is the most important question and however you get there is fine.
We’re going to make a sponge and let it rise until it collapses by
itself. Whoa, Bob. How about a little explanation of the technical
terms? Right. Mix everything together holding back part of the flour so
that the resulting batter is thickly liquid. That’s a sponge. While it
rises, big bubbles form and it looks like, all together now, a sponge.
You thought this was going to be hard.
Since it’s thinner than the usual bread dough, it will rise for a while
and then simply collapse under its own weight. Then we’ll put the rest
of the flour in. In answer to the question of that fellow over there, I
don’t know if it can be started in a bread machine.
ENGLISH MUFFINS
Makes about a dozen 4-inch or a dozen and a half 3-inch muffins
1/8 cup warm water to dissolve yeast (105 - 120 degrees)
1 packet dry yeast (or equivalent in other forms)
1 cup water, room temperature
1/2 cup scalded milk, cooled to about 120 degrees
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter at room temp
extra flour or cornmeal
extra butter
In a bowl large enough to handle the risen dough (maybe 4 quarts or so),
combine water and yeast, stir and let dissolve for a couple minutes. Add
water, milk, sugar and salt to yeast. Gradually add half of the flour
and mix well. Cover and put aside until the sponge has risen and
collapsed, at least an hour and up to two hours. Mix in the soft butter
then add the rest of the flour and mix in well. Here’s where the two
different methods of shaping the muffins comes in.
Shaping with rings: Muffin rings (or flan rings or tuna fish cans or
cat food cans or whatever) or any other kind of metal rings have been
traditional in shaping the muffins. They’re metal rings about two inches
tall and look like cans with both ends open. Grease the rings and put
them on prepared cookie sheets for the final rising. The cookie sheets
may be greased or floured or have a thin layer of corn meal on them to
keep the muffin dough from sticking. Put rounds of dough in them that
fit snugly against the sides from 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep. Let them rise
until they’re doubled.
Shaping without rings: On a floured board, shape the dough into a sheet
about 1/2 inch deep. Use a well-floured rolling pin and work gently. Cut
the dough into 3- or 4-inch circles and put on prepared cookie sheets to
rise until doubled.
To bake the muffins: When the muffins are fully risen, heat a buttered
griddle until hot but not smoking. Gently slide a spatula under the
muffins and put them on the griddle. Remove the rings. Turn muffins once
after the first side is a light-medium brown. That’s it.
*The impossibly smooth variant is, of course, based on fat. I sometimes
make English Muffins using cream instead of the water and milk called
for in the recipe. When you toast and eat them, they don’t need butter.*
Split the muffins for toasting with a scallop-bladed knife or use two
forks back to back. The former gives you nice even surfaces to butter
(or jelly). The latter gives you the famous "nooks and crannies" of
advertising fame a few years back. Your call.
Crumpets are like English muffins except they’re different. To the
above recipe, add another cup of milk at the beginning, maybe a cup and
1/8 to get a more liquid batter. You have to use the rings because the
dough will be more loose. Otherwise, it’s the same technique. The
texture of the crumpets will be denser and the crumb will be smaller and
more elegant. Marmalade seems to be made for crumpets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
nancree

Someone wrote:

> > I have two words for you: Toaster oven. :-)
> >
> > serene, who never has to pry toast/muffins/bagels out of anywhere

> or you can switch to a Cuisanart toaster, which someone so eloquently
> said "ejects" the toast.... right out of the toaster and onto the
> counter, just like a cartoon.

---------------------------
We had a dog, a big comical Irish Water Spaniel. As soon as he heard
the toaster clicking away, he would rush to the scene, cock his head
sideways, and wait for the toast to fly out of the toaster--and he
would catch it in his mouth. If you wanted your own piece of toast,
you had to put him on the other side of the door.

Happy memories,
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"nancree" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

> Someone wrote:
>> >
>> > I have two words for you: Toaster oven. :-)
>> >
>> > serene, who never has to pry toast/muffins/bagels out of anywhere

>> or you can switch to a Cuisanart toaster, which someone so eloquently
>> said "ejects" the toast.... right out of the toaster and onto the
>> counter, just like a cartoon.

> ---------------------------
> We had a dog, a big comical Irish Water Spaniel. As soon as he heard
> the toaster clicking away, he would rush to the scene, cock his head
> sideways, and wait for the toast to fly out of the toaster--and he
> would catch it in his mouth. If you wanted your own piece of toast,
> you had to put him on the other side of the door.
>
> Happy memories,
> Nancree

ROTFL, too funny!!!! DDD
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Nola" > wrote in message
t...

> > > Oh, don't play like you don't know ... Thomas', that
> > > bakery from England. Came over here with the uneven
> > > muffins.

> > I don' believe you - they must be Americanian muffins not Englundiaish
> > ones.
> >

> > Shaun aRe

> They're not even Americanian - they're from New Jersey. They're joisey
> muff'ns

Ah well that would explain it! Good for nothing those NJ bunch.

My Englundiaish muffins are perfectly formed and well balanced.

Like 2 ostrich eggs in a sack my wife says.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> >> out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> >> a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

> > Write them. It's mad science. Has been for decades.
> >

> (laugh) But then what kind of nonsense could I amuse myself
> with? I need lopsided breakfast bread.

Muffins are bread now, right, heheheheh...

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> [...]

> *The impossibly smooth variant is, of course, based on fat. I sometimes
> make English Muffins using cream instead of the water and milk called
> for in the recipe. When you toast and eat them, they don’t need butter.*
> Split the muffins for toasting with a scallop-bladed knife or use two
> forks back to back. The former gives you nice even surfaces to butter
> (or jelly). The latter gives you the famous "nooks and crannies" of
> advertising fame a few years back. Your call.
> Crumpets are like English muffins except they’re different. To the
> above recipe, add another cup of milk at the beginning, maybe a cup and
> 1/8 to get a more liquid batter. You have to use the rings because the
> dough will be more loose. Otherwise, it’s the same technique. The
> texture of the crumpets will be denser and the crumb will be smaller and
> more elegant. Marmalade seems to be made for crumpets.

Crumpets - you mean the round things with kinda, open at the top vertical
tubular holes running right through, right? Kinda somewhat rubbery/elastic
texture in the middle? That's what we call crumpets. If they are thinner and
square, called pieklets (sp?!?) by some here. Marmalade would be sacrilege
on those! Toast them (no one slices these things BTW!) butter, and heaps of
it. You want it to start oozing out, dripping out of the crusty base, then a
nice slice of cheese on top before it cools, so it wilts a little, would go
well. I'd dust mine with powdered chiles too, of course.

Hmmmm, crumpet...

Shaun aRe - Marmalade, pah, heheheheh...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> > > "Andy" <q> wrote

> > > (laugh) But then what kind of nonsense could I amuse myself
> > > with? I need lopsided breakfast bread.
> > >
> > > nancy
> > >

> > But generally when you send complaints to a company, they send you
> > coupons...... ;-)
> >
> > Got some free cat food that way! <lol>

> Generally when you give a product compliments you get twice as many
> coupons.

Hmmmmm... Might have to try that.

Orchid was dying. Granted, she is 16 years old but 1/2 siamese.
Three trips to the vet, no joy. Gave her Pen' injections as needed but
she still ended up a snotty nose fur covered skeleton. :-( This started
about a year ago.

We generally feed Purina dry food and Friskies canned since they like
it. Most of the cats are healthy, a couple are fat.

Orchid has a passion for Tuna, so I started offering her 9 lives "tuna
select". A dark tuna with egg bits, and protected her from the other
cats when she ate so she could eat all she wanted.

Over the past couple of months, she has improved and is actually putting
on weight! :-) She is now strong enough again to jump up into her
"protected" feeding area, and is getting the strength to meow again. She
was so weak, she had lost her voice.

Even her backbone is nearly covered again. Her mother lived to be nearly
19 so maybe she will make it to that age now. Her sister, Athena, does
not even look geriatric and is still going strong.

Appears that 9 lives canned is far superior to Friskies. We will
probably be switching the entire gang over to it now.

If I tell this story to 9 lives, think they will send me coupons???? ;-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> Appears that 9 lives canned is far superior to Friskies. We will
> probably be switching the entire gang over to it now.
>
> If I tell this story to 9 lives, think they will send me coupons???? ;-)
> --
> Om.

Really!?!?!?! If this is true, I'm switching cat foods!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Shaun aRe" > wrote

> Crumpets - you mean the round things with kinda, open at the top vertical
> tubular holes running right through, right? Kinda somewhat rubbery/elastic
> texture in the middle? That's what we call crumpets. If they are thinner
> and
> square, called pieklets (sp?!?) by some here.

Are you talking about a bialy?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Shaun aRe" > wrote

> Muffins are bread now, right, heheheheh...

Here ya go, brit boy.

http://thomas.gwbakeries.com/history.cfm

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article .com>,
> > "Sheldon" > wrote:
> >

> > Appears that 9 lives canned is far superior to Friskies. We will
> > probably be switching the entire gang over to it now.
> >
> > If I tell this story to 9 lives, think they will send me coupons???? ;-)
> > --
> > Om.

> Really!?!?!?! If this is true, I'm switching cat foods!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

This story is 100% true. :-)

9 lives Tuna Select brought Orchid back from the edge of death!

The other cats have done just fine on Friskies, but Orchid was
chronically sick. Whatever was in that seemed to really help her.

It's nice to see her not so pitiful and hollow-eyed now.
There was literally almost nothing left of her but bones and fur.

I want to see if 9 lives comes in the larger "dog food" sized cans
instead of just the little flat ones. We use the larger cans of friskies
and feed 6 cans per day for the entire gang, plus free-fed Purina
kibbles.

Orchid was too ill to eat dry food. We fed her canned 2 to 3 times per
day, all she was willing to eat.

Still do...
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Faux_Pseudo wrote:
> _.-In rec.food.cooking, Nancy Young wrote the following -._
> > Seems to me after all this time they'd have figured
> > out a way to fork split them so that the halves are just
> > a teensy bit more even, not like 70/30?

> Then they would look fake and people wouldn't buy them. Sometimes
> defects are intentional because they add character or the appearance
> of authenticity.
>
> What gets me is that 'they' have many flavors out there including
> light and whole grain kinds but even these have high fructose corn
> syrup. Can I get healthy muffins without the HFCS. Is that too much
> to ask?

Make your own? It is surprisingly easy (well I was surprised). IIRC
the Joy of Cooking has a good recipe.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking
AC

Nancy Young wrote:

> Actually, I have been toying with the idea of getting a
> toaster oven, no, not to make toast, but I'm going to look
> at them. I think I'd really like one in the summer, especially.
>
> Or for the occasional leftover eggroll.

i love my toaster oven nancy. i use it all the time. it goes on the back
porch in the summer so i bake / roast small stuff without heating up the
house. i routinely roast a chicken leg quarter and a potato in it at the
same time. great for biscuits too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Default English muffins & feline anecdotes

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>

>>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>>
>>>In article .com>,
>>> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>>>

>>>Appears that 9 lives canned is far superior to Friskies. We will
>>>probably be switching the entire gang over to it now.
>>>
>>>If I tell this story to 9 lives, think they will send me coupons???? ;-)
>>>--
>>>Om.

>>Really!?!?!?! If this is true, I'm switching cat foods!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>kili
>>

> This story is 100% true. :-)
>
> 9 lives Tuna Select brought Orchid back from the edge of death!
>
> The other cats have done just fine on Friskies, but Orchid was
> chronically sick. Whatever was in that seemed to really help her.
>
> It's nice to see her not so pitiful and hollow-eyed now.
> There was literally almost nothing left of her but bones and fur.
>
> I want to see if 9 lives comes in the larger "dog food" sized cans
> instead of just the little flat ones. We use the larger cans of friskies
> and feed 6 cans per day for the entire gang, plus free-fed Purina
> kibbles.
>
> Orchid was too ill to eat dry food. We fed her canned 2 to 3 times per
> day, all she was willing to eat.
>
> Still do...

Anybody else have cats that like a fresh green salad?

Once i was sitting on the floor to watch a t.v. special and cutting up
veggies for salad (all neat and tidy with cutting board and newspapers
on the carpet) when "Sasha" after calmly but intently watching me cut
up the veggies reached out and tentatively grabbed a chunk of green
pepper. Pull it over to herself when i did not object and gobbled it up.

Since then i always feed me cats lettuce, green pepper and whatever
other fresh veggies i have on hand. Diced and added to room temperature
rice with oat bran added and all mixed up and dressed with a bit of meat
stock. They get the occasional raw chicken gizzards but not often, a
real treat for them that they inevitably have to 'kill', pounce on, play
with etc. etc. before they get around to eating it.

Of course anytime i am making a large amount of meat they get their
share. "Asparagus" is adorable but not to bright and takes her cue from
Sasha, who always knows, sometimes i think before i do, when i intend to
make a meat loaf.

One time i was making meat loaf for a dinner with guests and i was
pressed for time and was intently focused on cooking and did not pay
attention to Sasha waiting patently for her raw ball of ground meat. I
was just about to stick it in the oven when i realized, saw the most
joyous look of immanent expectation....how could i let her down?

So i took a couple of tablespoons of the seasoned meat loaf mix and
rolled it into a ball and gave it to her.

She had never had 'seasoned' meat loaf mix before and at first it was if
i had served her a bad meal, she gave me such a look! And IMO actually
sulked for a few minutes. Then seeing she was getting no real response
from her sulking she went back and investigated the raw, but seasoned
meat ball, and after a few licks and sniffs, and a bit of nudging about
with the paw, gobbled it right up.

Course probly my favourite anecdote about Sasha is the one where i am so
pressed for time early in the morning that i wash the bottom pot part of
the pressure cooker and sit it on the floor for a minute while i do
something else that leads to something other and then out the door and
gone all day and come home to a kitty sleeping soundly in the bottom of
the pressure cooker, an ordinary, stove top pressure cooker, curled up
into a tight little ball and cosily snoozing away.

I have a big heavy old glass american punch bowl (early 1900' pressed
glass) on top of a built in cabinet, i thought me cats were real
acrobats for the longest time, routinely i would find one of them in the
punch bowl snoozing away, obviously having had to jump almost 6 feet
across from the top of the fridge to the top shelf the bowl is on.

Then one day i was making a pot of stock and heard a noise behind me,
turned around and looked up and the kitty was strolling calmly across
the top of the window between the fridge and the cabinet, i uttered
enough of a slight gasp to cause her to pause, almost unconcernedly, and
give me a look of concern about me, an, "you o.k." kind of look from the
cat who then proceeded primly to the fridge and jumped down about 1 foot
and from there to a counter top and then the floor. With a very
distinct request for food i was making (a fish stock).

The more i think about it the more anecdotes that come to mind.
So ill stop now.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"AC" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Actually, I have been toying with the idea of getting a
>> toaster oven, no, not to make toast, but I'm going to look
>> at them. I think I'd really like one in the summer, especially.
>>
>> Or for the occasional leftover eggroll.

> i love my toaster oven nancy. i use it all the time. it goes on the back
> porch in the summer so i bake / roast small stuff without heating up the
> house. i routinely roast a chicken leg quarter and a potato in it at the
> same time. great for biscuits too!

Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
get anything fancy.

More I think of it, I have forgone roasted garlic in mashed
potatoes, even baked potatoes themselves because I couldn't
justify heating up the big oven just for that. You made up my
mind.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, "AC" >
wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Actually, I have been toying with the idea of getting a
> > toaster oven, no, not to make toast, but I'm going to look
> > at them. I think I'd really like one in the summer, especially.
> >
> > Or for the occasional leftover eggroll.

> i love my toaster oven nancy. i use it all the time. it goes on the back
> porch in the summer so i bake / roast small stuff without heating up the
> house. i routinely roast a chicken leg quarter and a potato in it at the
> same time. great for biscuits too!

I don't like to use my "big" oven, so am seriously considering
purchasing one.

Recommendations????? :-)

TIA!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "AC" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, I have been toying with the idea of getting a
> >> toaster oven, no, not to make toast, but I'm going to look
> >> at them. I think I'd really like one in the summer, especially.
> >>
> >> Or for the occasional leftover eggroll.

> > i love my toaster oven nancy. i use it all the time. it goes on the back
> > porch in the summer so i bake / roast small stuff without heating up the
> > house. i routinely roast a chicken leg quarter and a potato in it at the
> > same time. great for biscuits too!

> Thanks! I am going to get one, that sounds perfect for me.
> I'll have to check out what features they have. Probably won't
> get anything fancy.
>
> More I think of it, I have forgone roasted garlic in mashed
> potatoes, even baked potatoes themselves because I couldn't
> justify heating up the big oven just for that. You made up my
> mind.
>
> nancy

Oh.

God.

Nancy, you definitely decided me now!!!!!!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "kilikini" > wrote:
> >

> Anybody else have cats that like a fresh green salad?

I can't BELIEVE your cats eat salad! Mine won't touch most people food
unless it's shrimp or crab. They won't even eat chicken.

kili