Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Default Do I need to refrigerate pies?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>
>>>It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
>>>come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
>>>pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
>>>fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
>>>about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
>>>the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
>>>

>>>--Lia
>>>

>>Refrigerate custard pies and cream pies. The rest you can leave out
>>(assuming you don't have a dog that steals pies)
>>
>>I wouldn't even refrigerate the pumpkin pie.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> Pumpkin is a kind of a custard pie, eh?

Yes. I still wouldn't refrigerate it. The slight chance of getting
sick from it is a small price to pay for a flakey crust ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:
> Pumpkin pies sit out on the counter in bakeries and grocery stores for days
> without a problem.

Check the ingredient list for a preservative that wouldn't be in your
kitchen-baked pie.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Default Ophilia-Apple upside down cake (was - Do I need to refrigerate pies?)

Ophelia wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> >
> > If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very
> > good.

> That sounds nice Joseph, I would like that please

Now that everything is cleaned up and put away till next month i can
turn to other things. Here's the recipe, it calls for tart green apples
but i have made it to good effect with sweet apples. So much better,
IMO, than the more common pineapple upside down cake.

Apple upside down cake
---------------------------

4 or 5 tart cooking apples

lemon juice

2 tbs. butter

1 cup (packed) light brown sugar, sifted

1 egg

1 cup granulated white sugar

1 cup whipping cream

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

confectioners' sugar

Peel the apples and remove the cores. Slice the apples paper thin with
a mandolin or very sharp knife then sprinkle lightly with lemon juice to
keep from discolouring.

Place the butter in a 9 inch round, shallow baking dish. Place in a
preheated 325 F oven until melted, then remove from oven. Do not turn
off heat. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Overlap the apple
slices in the baking dish, working from the centre to the outside with
only 1/4 inch between each overlap, until the bottom is covered.

Place the egg in a mixing bowl and beat well with an electric mixer.
Add the sugar gradually and beat until mixed. Mix the cream and
vanilla. Sift the flour with the baking powder, then add to the egg
mixture alternately with the cream mixture, beating well after each
addition.

Pour over the apples. Bake for about 35 minutes or until a cake tester
inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool.

Place on a cake plate and cut into servings. Sprinkle each serving with
confectioners' sugar and if desired serve with Chantilly Cream.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Default Quick apple cake (was - Ophilia-Apple upside down cake)

Here's another apple cake recipe i like a lot.

Quick apple cake
-------------------

1 & 3/4 cup sifted cake flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

1 egg

buttermilk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced

1 tsp. cinnamon

Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and 1 cup of sugar into a
mixing bowl.

Pour 1/4 cup butter into a 1 cup measuring cup, then add the egg. Fill
the cup with buttermilk. Pour into the flour mixture and beat
vigorously for 1 minute or until the batter is smooth. Stir in the
vanilla. Pour the remaining butter into an ovenproof skillet or baking
dish. Pour the batter into the skillet, then arrange the apples over
the top. Combine the cinnamon with 2 tbs. of sugar and sprinkle over
the apples.

Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 35 to 40 minutes.

Serve hot from the skillet or cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto a
rack. Slide onto a serving dish.
---
JL:

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very
>> > good.

>> That sounds nice Joseph, I would like that please

> Now that everything is cleaned up and put away till next month i can
> turn to other things. Here's the recipe, it calls for tart green
> apples
> but i have made it to good effect with sweet apples. So much better,
> IMO, than the more common pineapple upside down cake.

recipe snipped and saved)

Thank you very much Joseph)