Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Default Do I need to refrigerate pies?

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie
> have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate
> the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in
> the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to
> ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense
> answer?
>
> --Lia

People made apple pies long before there was 'frigid air' or
refrigerators.

A cool, clean, vermin free space should be sufficient to preserve your
pie for tomorrow's feast. Give it a wrap in plastic 'wrap' if you are
unsure and stick in the 'fridge. But even a loosely wrapped in a
plastic grocery bag, tightly sealed, should preserve it without
contamination for consumption tomorrow.

If you have a pie box or cake tin it can fit in so much the better. It
will exude certain fumes and if it is in a enclosed space they will be
reabsorbed back into the pie, if left in an less than air tight
container you will loose some small, subtle aspect that you probly wont
even notice.

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very good.

---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
>

> --Lia

I think leaving it out would be fine, but refrigerating it wouldnt hurt
it either.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

I don't think leaving either out will harm them, but I prefer to bake
mine early TG day so they're in prime shape. I dislike how the crust
gets soggy when leftover, or in the fridge.
Consider that the pies your grocer sells aren't chilled, right>
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:55:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
>Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
>make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
>cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
>apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
>infused with the flavours of the pie.

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

Thanks,
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:55:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>
> >Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
> >Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
> >make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a

> 'criss
> >cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the

> cooked
> >apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
> >infused with the flavours of the pie.

> I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
>
> that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
> soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
> refrigeration?

A 'crumb' topping defeats the purpose of this thread, of course it is
going to be at least moist if not 'soggy'. And with 'sour cream' you
don't wnat to take any chances.

In any hot, humid southern hemisphere envinroment where it is now summer
i would refrigerate. In the northern hemisphere it is less necessary.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:38:53 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>A 'crumb' topping defeats the purpose of this thread, of course it is
>going to be at least moist if not 'soggy'. And with 'sour cream' you
>don't wnat to take any chances.

Sorry
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 08:38:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Julia
Altshuler?

> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

I don't refrigerate either pumpkin or fruit pies if they're baked just the
day before. I put them in the diningroom or another room that's a bit cooler
than the kitchen. They won't spoil and the crust will have a niceer texture.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:27:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:55:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>
>>Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
>>Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
>>make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
>>cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
>>apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
>>infused with the flavours of the pie.

> I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
> that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
> soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
> refrigeration?
>
> Thanks,
> Carol

No, not necessary, Carol. Don't listen to what anyone else tells you.
Your sour cream apple filling will not spoil overnight, nor will the crumb
top become soggy. Refrigeration will ruin the texture of a crumb top pie.
I make them frequently and never refrigerate.

Soggy crust? Urp! A proper pie crust should be flaky and tender, but
never soggy.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 24 Nov 2005 05:54:30 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:27:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
>dis Dress?
>
>> I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
>> that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
>> soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
>> refrigeration?

>No, not necessary, Carol. Don't listen to what anyone else tells you.
>Your sour cream apple filling will not spoil overnight, nor will the crumb
>top become soggy. Refrigeration will ruin the texture of a crumb top pie.
>I make them frequently and never refrigerate.

Thank you, Wayne.

>Soggy crust? Urp! A proper pie crust should be flaky and tender, but
>never soggy.

We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
out well for me.

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:55:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>
>>Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
>>Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
>>make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
>>cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
>>apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
>>infused with the flavours of the pie.

> I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
> that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
> soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
> refrigeration?

Crumb toppings resist sogginess decently well if you've put enough
butter in them. The pie is sterilized, so any critters in the sour cream
have been well-killed. It'll be fine.

I made aan apple pour pie tonight. As I have a zillion times before.
Cameo apples, double crust, bit of corn starch, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg,
cloves. And after pulling it out of the oven, pour a few tablespoons
heavy cream into the vents in the top crust. Leave it out to cool on the
counter. Eat it all tomorrow.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:05:17 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
>> that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
>> soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
>> refrigeration?

>Crumb toppings resist sogginess decently well if you've put enough
>butter in them. The pie is sterilized, so any critters in the sour cream
>have been well-killed. It'll be fine.

Thanks! I'd really like to take care of that the day before (we're
celebrating on Sunday).

>I made aan apple pour pie tonight. As I have a zillion times before.
>Cameo apples, double crust, bit of corn starch, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg,
>cloves. And after pulling it out of the oven, pour a few tablespoons
>heavy cream into the vents in the top crust. Leave it out to cool on the
>counter. Eat it all tomorrow.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You can't go wrong with heavy cream!

Are Haralson apples respectable for an apple pie? We're on a very
strict budget, and those were the least expensive.

Thanks so much, Bob!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
>

> --Lia

Refrigerate custard pies and cream pies. The rest you can leave out
(assuming you don't have a dog that steals pies)

I wouldn't even refrigerate the pumpkin pie.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Are Haralson apples respectable for an apple pie?

Yes.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:27:13 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> Are Haralson apples respectable for an apple pie?

>Yes.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

Thanks, Pookie!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie
>> have
>> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate
>> the
>> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in
>> the
>> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
>> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to
>> ask
>> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense
>> answer?
>>
>> --Lia

> People made apple pies long before there was 'frigid air' or
> refrigerators.
>
> A cool, clean, vermin free space should be sufficient to preserve your
> pie for tomorrow's feast. Give it a wrap in plastic 'wrap' if you are
> unsure and stick in the 'fridge. But even a loosely wrapped in a
> plastic grocery bag, tightly sealed, should preserve it without
> contamination for consumption tomorrow.
>
> If you have a pie box or cake tin it can fit in so much the better.
> It will exude certain fumes and if it is in a enclosed space they
> will be reabsorbed back into the pie, if left in an less than air
> tight container you will loose some small, subtle aspect that you
> probly wont even notice.
>
> Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
> Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
> make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
> cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
> apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
> infused with the flavours of the pie.
>
> If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very
> good.
>
> ---
> JL

While antique hunting (not really hunting, perusing) my LLL and I saw a
number of "pie safes" that had tiny vented holes in the sides... yes this
was before refrigeration was common and pies seemed to do well and the vents
kept out flies but let the pies cool. I cannot say this was the best way to
store pies but it seemed to work for them in the 1800's/early 1900's.

Now what does that have to do with your apple pie? Does it have a top crust
that would sink down into the cooked apples? If so you probably want to
refrigerate it.

Darn, I need to go to bed now! Good luck with your pies.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:59:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 24 Nov 2005 05:54:30 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:27:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel
>>in dis Dress?
>>
>>> I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
>>> that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
>>> soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
>>> refrigeration?

>>No, not necessary, Carol. Don't listen to what anyone else tells you.
>>Your sour cream apple filling will not spoil overnight, nor will the
>>crumb top become soggy. Refrigeration will ruin the texture of a crumb
>>top pie. I make them frequently and never refrigerate.

> Thank you, Wayne.
>
>>Soggy crust? Urp! A proper pie crust should be flaky and tender, but
>>never soggy.

> We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
> out well for me.

Nothing wrong with that. They do turn out well, and probably more people
should use them. I've eaten some pretty dreadful homemade piecrust. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 24 Nov 2005 09:14:39 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:59:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
>dis Dress?
>
>> We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
>> out well for me.

>Nothing wrong with that. They do turn out well, and probably more people
>should use them. I've eaten some pretty dreadful homemade piecrust. :-)

I have a very lovely pie crust recipe using sour cream (half of what I
bake has sour cream in it). Sometimes I do it right, sometimes I
don't. I just don't want to risk messing the crusts up when I'll be
so harried already. Here is the recipe for your perusal. It's
fabulous, simply fabulous.

Carol, close friend of the Pillsbury Dough Boy

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Pie Crust

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pies-crusts

1/2 cup cold butter -- 1 stick
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sour cream

Place flour in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is the size
of small peas. Add egg yolk, salt, and sour cream. Stir with a fork
until pastry forms a ball (or use food processor).

Divide into two parts. Wrap in plastic and chill until stiff enough
to work with (approximately 45 minutes). When ready to use, roll
pastry thinly (about 1/8 inch)

If making a single crust pie, refrigerate or freeze one portion for
another pie. .

Yield:
"2 crusts"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 24 Nov 2005 01:20:00a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 24 Nov 2005 09:14:39 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:59:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel
>>in dis Dress?
>>
>>> We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
>>> out well for me.

>>Nothing wrong with that. They do turn out well, and probably more
>>people should use them. I've eaten some pretty dreadful homemade
>>piecrust. :-)

> I have a very lovely pie crust recipe using sour cream (half of what I
> bake has sour cream in it). Sometimes I do it right, sometimes I
> don't. I just don't want to risk messing the crusts up when I'll be
> so harried already. Here is the recipe for your perusal. It's
> fabulous, simply fabulous.

I'm lucky that I have a deft hand with pastry, been making it since I was a
kid, so I just sorta pump them out when required. :-) But this sour cream
pie crust recipe looks superb! If I hadn't baked all my pies yesterday,
I'd have made at least one with your recipe. Sour cream makes such a
tender crust. I probably won't bake another pie until Christmas, but I
saved this to use then. Thanks for sharing it with me! I hope you have a
wonderful day with your niece. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message

> If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very
> good.

That sounds nice Joseph, I would like that please

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Last night we put the pumpkin pie in the fridge and left the apple one
cooling on the counter loosely covered with plastic wrap. The apple pie
is what I call "double crusted" meaning that there's a second crust
covering the whole thing, not in a lattice or with a crumb topping.
(Our guests are bringing a peach pie with a crumb topping so it made
sense to do something different.) The top crust is quite high over the
apples, really lovely. Thanks to everyone who wrote.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
>

> --Lia

Julia, I don't refrigerate pies. I let them cool, cover with saran
wrap, then put them in the breadbox if there is room or set them on top
of the freezer. There are two reasons I don't refrigerate pies. First,
we usually use them the same day they are made or at most the next day.
Second, I'd be hard pressed to find room in the fridge for pies. To
answer your question regarding soggy crust. I made an apple strudel
using puff pastry, a more delicate pastry than regular pie pastry. I
put the remainder in the fridge and the pastry didn't get soggy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>

>>It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie
>>have
>>come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate
>>the
>>pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in
>>the
>>fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
>>about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to
>>ask
>>the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense
>>answer?
>>
>>--Lia

> People made apple pies long before there was 'frigid air' or
> refrigerators.
>
> A cool, clean, vermin free space should be sufficient to preserve your
> pie for tomorrow's feast. Give it a wrap in plastic 'wrap' if you are
> unsure and stick in the 'fridge. But even a loosely wrapped in a
> plastic grocery bag, tightly sealed, should preserve it without
> contamination for consumption tomorrow.
>
> If you have a pie box or cake tin it can fit in so much the better. It
> will exude certain fumes and if it is in a enclosed space they will be
> reabsorbed back into the pie, if left in an less than air tight
> container you will loose some small, subtle aspect that you probly wont
> even notice.
>
> Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
> Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
> make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
> cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
> apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
> infused with the flavours of the pie.
>
> If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very good.
>
> ---
> JL

Remember the old style pie cabinets? I really would love to have one of
those! Could you please share your apple upside down cake recipe? That
sounds good. TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

If to be consumed within the next day or two leave them out... just
cover loosely with a clean towel, to keep dust off but so condensate
doesn't accumulate and turn the crust soggy, so don't use an airtight
container or foil/plastic wrap... this applies to both pies, no
particular reason to refrigerate pumpkin pie unless you happen to
prefer eating it chilled, same with apple pie (I prefer fruit pies at
room temperature, and really don't like them served reheated, as some
pinheads are won't to do, greasy spoon style, 'cause the pie is stale.
But if you intend to consume these pies say 3-4 days later then I'd
refrigerate, but only after leaving out loosely covered to cool/dry for
24 hours. For longer storage, freeze. Once the pies are cut or
otherwise handled then I'd suggest refrigerating... probably not really
necessary but everyone "handles" differently... which is why I never
ever permit guests to help... how many have been a guest where everyone
helps and have watched the helpers lick their fingers then carry on,
and worse... they don't even realize, they're oblivious. I tend to be
very picky accepting invites to dinner... at some folks homes I'd not
accept a glass of water. People can be really disgusting concerning
food, unwittingly, but disgusting nevertheless.... yeah, I'll have a
beer... no glass, and *I'll* open it if you don't mind. And no, I
don't carry alcohol wipes, but the thought has crossed my mind.... and
yes, I have poured part of my 2ni into my napkin so I could wipe my
silverware, discretely of course.

I don't accept invites to eat at homes where preparing the food is a
family affair (I really don't want to see how Aunt Millie mashes the
potatoes or how Uncle Bill prepares the gravy... and especially not
where everyone brings a dish. And please don't ask me to help myself
to your refrigerator, I really, really don't want to look in there, not
if you expect me to partake... have any of you been to homes where
everyone is constantly rummaging through the fridge, the door may as
well be removed for how much it's actually closed, all the food is
warm, and no one washes their hands, not even after using the terlit...
and don't get me started on people's terlits... many a time after using
a terlit I became suddenly ill and had to leave.

Sheldon Pasteur

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:55:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:
>>

>>>Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
>>>Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
>>>make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a

>>'criss
>>
>>>cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the

>>cooked
>>
>>>apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
>>>infused with the flavours of the pie.

>>I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
>>
>>that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
>>soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
>>refrigeration?

> A 'crumb' topping defeats the purpose of this thread, of course it is
> going to be at least moist if not 'soggy'. And with 'sour cream' you
> don't wnat to take any chances.
>
> In any hot, humid southern hemisphere envinroment where it is now summer
> i would refrigerate. In the northern hemisphere it is less necessary.

Isn't that the truth about the northern hemisphere. We're getting a
dose of the white stuff with frigid winds. My kitchen cupboards are on
outside walls. The corner cupboard in the kitchen could almost double
as a fridge in the winter leading us to suspect the previous owners were
negligent in installing insulation. It's going to be a pain tearing
those walls apart but for energy savings, we are going to. The nice
thing about these cold temps is when you are having a large crowd, you
can put things like pop on the porch to stay cold and save fridge space.
> ---
> JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 24 Nov 2005 07:35:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
>> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate
>> the pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in
>> the fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
>> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to
>> ask the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense
>> answer?
>>

>> --Lia
>>

> Julia, I don't refrigerate pies. I let them cool, cover with saran
> wrap, then put them in the breadbox if there is room or set them on top
> of the freezer. There are two reasons I don't refrigerate pies. First,
> we usually use them the same day they are made or at most the next day.
> Second, I'd be hard pressed to find room in the fridge for pies. To
> answer your question regarding soggy crust. I made an apple strudel
> using puff pastry, a more delicate pastry than regular pie pastry. I
> put the remainder in the fridge and the pastry didn't get soggy.

I only refrigerate cream pies, or custard pie if it's not finished in a
day. All other pies stay out, only covered by a light tea towel. IMHO, I
think wrapping in plastic wrap causes moisture to invade the pastry more
quickly and changes the texture. I'm not saying "soggy", but just a
difference in texture. Puff pastry, phyllo dough, or strudel dough are
far more resistant to moisture invasion than is pie pastry, due mainly to
the construction of those pastries and the higher fat content.
Refrigerating pie pastry also changes the texture because the fat in the
crust becomes far more hard. Just my personal preference to leave it all
out whenever possible.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:59:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
> dis Dress?
>

>> We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
>> out well for me.

> Nothing wrong with that. They do turn out well, and probably more people
> should use them. I've eaten some pretty dreadful homemade piecrust. :-)

Oh, I know it. My pie crust for my pumpkin pie did not turn out so well
today. That's because I was very rushed and didn't have any wax paper. I
have always rolled out my crust between sheets of waxed paper (for many
reasons that I won't go into). Didn't have time to go to the store, though
if I had had time, I probably just would've gone w/ the folded Pillsbury
crust. It's not as good as my best crust effort, but probably better
looking than today's effort. Oh well. It's just the immediate family, and
I'm sure it will taste ok.

I think this will be a pretty OK turkey dinner, considering that I didn't
know I was cooking it til last night!

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 24 Nov 2005 14:03:11 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I'm lucky that I have a deft hand with pastry, been making it since I was a
>kid, so I just sorta pump them out when required. :-) But this sour cream
>pie crust recipe looks superb! If I hadn't baked all my pies yesterday,
>I'd have made at least one with your recipe. Sour cream makes such a
>tender crust. I probably won't bake another pie until Christmas, but I
>saved this to use then. Thanks for sharing it with me! I hope you have a
>wonderful day with your niece. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I generally use this crust with the cheesecake pecan pie. It just
doesn't get any better than that! Happy Thanksgiving to you and
yours.

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:38:05 -0500, Julia Altshuler wrote:

> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

You can leave the apple pie out with no problem; but I'd refrigerate
the pumpkin pie mainly because I like eating it nice and cold. Food
for thought: pumpkin pie has egg in it...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

sf wrote:

> > It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> > come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> > pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> > fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> > about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> > the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
> >

> You can leave the apple pie out with no problem; but I'd refrigerate
> the pumpkin pie mainly because I like eating it nice and cold. Food
> for thought: pumpkin pie has egg in it...

Pumpkin pies sit out on the counter in bakeries and grocery stores for days
without a problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ms. tonya

sf wrote:
****It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one
apple pie have come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to
refrigerate the pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust
get soggy in the fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After
the thread about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm
reluctant to ask the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the
common sense answer?
You can leave the apple pie out with no problem; but I'd refrigerate the
pumpkin pie mainly because I like eating it nice and cold. Food for
thought: pumpkin pie has egg in
it...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pumpkin pies sit out on the counter in bakeries and grocery stores for
days without a problem.-------------------------------------------
RESPONSE: Few years back I took a class @ our local community college on
food safety taught by the retired director Oakland County Board Of
Health.
Subject of pies,cakes,pastries were discussed and if they needed to be
in the fridge regardless if homemade or bought in grocery stores.
He stated if product has whole milk/eggs listed on box or in your
receipe yes they do need to put in your fridge.
At the time I took this class the director told us board of health could
not fine any grocery stores for having pies etc. that needed to be in
the coolers instead on shelves and they have been fighting the state
-Michigan- for a new bill that would allow them to inspect products in
grocery stores.
Looks like the bill didn't pass because yesterday was looking at
pumpkins pies at my local national chain grocery store that had pies out
of the coolers and had whole milk/eggs listed.
I remember the director also showed us a list of people who had died in
the past which was traced back to people purchasing these products.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Dave Smith wrote:
> sf wrote:
>

> > > It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> > > come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> > > pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> > > fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> > > about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> > > the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
> > >

> > You can leave the apple pie out with no problem; but I'd refrigerate
> > the pumpkin pie mainly because I like eating it nice and cold. Food
> > for thought: pumpkin pie has egg in it...

> Pumpkin pies sit out on the counter in bakeries and grocery stores for days
> without a problem.

Baking sterilizes... why pizza is probably the safest food one can
order out... okay, a 2ni... I only order 2nis so I can be sure my
olives are safe. hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

ms. tonya wrote:
> sf wrote:
> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one
> apple pie have come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to
> refrigerate the pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust
> get soggy in the fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After
> the thread about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm
> reluctant to ask the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the
> common sense answer?
> You can leave the apple pie out with no problem; but I'd refrigerate the
> pumpkin pie mainly because I like eating it nice and cold. Food for
> thought: pumpkin pie has egg in
> it...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Pumpkin pies sit out on the counter in bakeries and grocery stores for
> days without a problem.-------------------------------------------
> RESPONSE: Few years back I took a class @ our local community college on
> food safety taught by the retired director Oakland County Board Of
> Health.
> Subject of pies,cakes,pastries were discussed and if they needed to be
> in the fridge regardless if homemade or bought in grocery stores.
> He stated if product has whole milk/eggs listed on box or in your
> receipe yes they do need to put in your fridge.
> At the time I took this class the director told us board of health could
> not fine any grocery stores for having pies etc. that needed to be in
> the coolers instead on shelves and they have been fighting the state
> -Michigan- for a new bill that would allow them to inspect products in
> grocery stores.
> Looks like the bill didn't pass because yesterday was looking at
> pumpkins pies at my local national chain grocery store that had pies out
> of the coolers and had whole milk/eggs listed.
> I remember the director also showed us a list of people who had died in
> the past which was traced back to people purchasing these products.

Anyone ever diagnose you as brain dead... you are you know,... your
brain is deader than a bucket of sand.

Sheldon Mortician

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Bugg

ms. tonya wrote:

> I remember the director also showed us a list of people who had died
> in
> the past which was traced back to people purchasing these products.

Unmitigated horseradish, hogwash, pig slop, etc.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Denny Wheeler

On 24 Nov 2005 13:06:17 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Anyone ever diagnose you as brain dead... you are you know,... your
>brain is deader than a bucket of sand.
>
>Sheldon Mortician

I think Dave B's reply was better. More concise, and to the point.
(yer both right, though)
--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Dave Bugg wrote:
> ms. tonya wrote:
>

>>I remember the director also showed us a list of people who had died
>>in
>>the past which was traced back to people purchasing these products.

> Unmitigated horseradish, hogwash, pig slop, etc.

You need to come out of your shell more. Really. Let it out. Say what
you really mean... <G>

Exactly the same reaction I had.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

~patches~ wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
> > In any hot, humid southern hemisphere envinroment where it is now

> summer
> > i would refrigerate. In the northern hemisphere it is less

> necessary.
>
> Isn't that the truth about the northern hemisphere. We're getting a
> dose of the white stuff with frigid winds. My kitchen cupboards are
> on
> outside walls. The corner cupboard in the kitchen could almost double
>
> as a fridge in the winter leading us to suspect the previous owners
> were
> negligent in installing insulation. It's going to be a pain tearing
> those walls apart but for energy savings, we are going to. The nice
> thing about these cold temps is when you are having a large crowd, you
>
> can put things like pop on the porch to stay cold and save fridge
> space.

Growing up in the mountains of Oregon we had several cabinets in the
kitchen that had slates and wire for the back wall, specifically
designed to let air in to circulate.

In the winter it was used as a refrigerator and in the summer it was
used for cooling fresh bread and other baked goods.

By the time i was 10 we got electricity and indoor plumbing, me mum
still shudders at the though of a wood burning stove. I once gave her a
small, cast iron, old salesman's sample of a state of the art wood
burning cooking stove from about 1890, thinking it would be a bit of
nostalgia for her, it promptly went into a back closet where i do not
think it has emerged since.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
>

> --Lia

No need to refrigerate the fruit pie. At least not for a day. And
after a day, if there's any left, I probably wouldn't eat it, anyway.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
> > It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
> > come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
> > pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
> > fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> > about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
> > the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?
> >

> > --Lia
> >

> Refrigerate custard pies and cream pies. The rest you can leave out
> (assuming you don't have a dog that steals pies)
>
> I wouldn't even refrigerate the pumpkin pie.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Pumpkin is a kind of a custard pie, eh?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Are Haralson apples respectable for an apple pie? We're on a very
> strict budget, and those were the least expensive.
>
> Thanks so much, Bob!
> Carol

YES!!!! Eminently!
--