Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The word is refrigerate

There is no d in refrigerate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"djs0 wrote:

> There is no d in refrigerate.

Who's arguing there is?

But there is a d in fridge, unless you're trailer trash and have a
****ing (friggin') refrigerater.

Sheldon Icebox

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On 12 May 2007 17:25:15 -0700, " >
magnanimously proffered:

>There is no d in refrigerate.

Was there ever?

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 8:33?pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> wrote:
> > There is no d in refrigerate.

> True, but when you wish to abbreviate the word to fridge, it looks
> better spelled with the d than frig or frige, which would be pronounced
> with the hard g.

Not only that...

Merriam Webster

frig
intransitive verb

Inflected Form(s): frigged ; frig?ging
Etymology: Middle English fryggen to wriggle
: COPULATE -- sometimes used in the present participle as a
meaningless intensive
---

"frige" isn't in the dictionary, unacceptible in Scrabble... frige is
not a word in the English language.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> "djs0 wrote:
>>
>> There is no d in refrigerate.

> Who's arguing there is?
>
> But there is a d in fridge, unless you're trailer trash and have a
> ****ing (friggin') refrigerater.
>
> Sheldon Icebox

maybe the thread on Marijuana recipes got him thinking about reefers . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gil Faver wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> "djs0 wrote:
>>>
>>> There is no d in refrigerate.

>> Who's arguing there is?
>>
>> But there is a d in fridge, unless you're trailer trash and have a
>> ****ing (friggin') refrigerater.
>>
>> Sheldon Icebox

> maybe the thread on Marijuana recipes got him thinking about reefers
> . . .

LOL, that was a good one, actually. Thanks. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pontificated:

> There is no d in refrigerate.

Dude. Chill.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ess says...
> That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".
>
> --Charlene

But there's no "d" at that location in Frigidaire either!?

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

> In article <464808c8$0$16380

>, Charlene Charette > wrote:
> >Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> But there is in 'fridge'. Go figure.

> >That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

> At first I thought this was nonsense, but I can see the point:
>
> If one assumes the pronunciation of "Frigidaire" for the abridged
> version [nominally "Frig"] then it would have to be spelt "fridge".
>
> Incidentally, I hadn't realised that Frigidaire developed the original
> self-contained refrigerators. The brand name seemed to come later
> than others here in Oz as far as I recall. But that may be a
> consequence of our old "Commonwealth trade preferences" whereby damn
> nearly everything (except decent cars) came from Pommieland for the
> first half century or more of "Australia". I can still recall my
> surprise at age 12 or 13 when reading that something like 50% of the
> world's economy was based in the USA at that time -- and about the
> only US products we saw here then were motor vehicles.

AFAIK most all "US" cars exported to Australia years ago were right - hand
drive models built by Canadian subsidiaries of US automakers (Pontiac,
Chevrolet, etc.). This was done because Canada was a fellow Commonwealth
country and the duties on imported Canadian vehicles were consequently lower
than if they were imported directly into Oz from the USA...these Canadian
subisidaries similarly produced US models for export to the UK, too.

Of course at one time Ford and Chrysler were big players in the Oz motor
markets, e.g. Oz - made versions of Ford Falcons and Chrysler (Plymouth)
Valiants were best - sellers in the 60's - 70's...

Chrysler some produced some odd - looking (to us Yanks) "hybrid" models for
the Oz market in the late 50's. They'd use c. 1954 US Plymouth body shells
with '56 - ish Dodge or Plymouth front ends and wierd tailfins on the back,
these were called "Chrysler Royal", etc....similar models were also produced
for the European - Scandinavian markets, all knock - down kit cars.

There were some fairly interesting Chevrolet, etc. utes made by GM - Holden
and others back in the day, too...

Recently a Holden model was built and shipped to the US and sold as the
Pontiac GTO. It was a fairly ordinary sedan, didn't fare too well in the
market. That's the only Oz car ever "exported" to the US AFAIK...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote on 16 May 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> In article >, Charlene
> Charette > wrote:
> >Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> But there is in 'fridge'. Go figure.

> >That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

> At first I thought this was nonsense, but I can see the point:
>
> If one assumes the pronunciation of "Frigidaire" for the abridged
> version [nominally "Frig"] then it would have to be spelt "fridge".
>
> Incidentally, I hadn't realised that Frigidaire developed the original
> self-contained refrigerators. The brand name seemed to come later
> than others here in Oz as far as I recall. But that may be a
> consequence of our old "Commonwealth trade preferences" whereby damn
> nearly everything (except decent cars) came from Pommieland for the
> first half century or more of "Australia". I can still recall my
> surprise at age 12 or 13 when reading that something like 50% of the
> world's economy was based in the USA at that time -- and about the
> only US products we saw here then were motor vehicles.
>
> Cheers, Phred.

In the begining Frigidaire's biggest selling point was it's
introducing/inventing the shelves on the door. That is what made them a
leader in the development of fridges...

Somewhat like skill saw and circular saw or kleenex and facial tissue.
Their market share also affected North American English.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phred" > wrote in message

> Incidentally, I hadn't realised that Frigidaire developed the original
> self-contained refrigerators. The brand name seemed to come later
> than others here in Oz as far as I recall. But that may be a
> consequence of our old "Commonwealth trade preferences" whereby damn
> nearly everything (except decent cars) came from Pommieland for the
> first half century or more of "Australia".

Many years ago, Frigidaire was owned by General Motors. They made some of
the best appliances. The division was sold, consolidated, re-sold a few
more times. Over the past years it was known as : White-Westinghouse, WCI,
and a couple of others At last check, they were owned by Electrolux. That
was over a week ago so it may have changed again. The Frigidaire plants
produce a lot of other brand names, like Gibson, Tappan, White-Westinghouse,
Philco, maybe more. They chose to use the Frigidaire name because of brand
recognition. They no longer make the quality of the past, IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Charlene Charette wrote:

> >> But there is in 'fridge'. *Go figure.

> > That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

> So why is it called a "RE-frigerator", and not just "frigerator"?
> Frigerator would mean "makes cold" (in the modern sense of the
> language), so why the "re" in front of it?
>
> No wonder they English is the hardest language to learn. *It
> doesn't make any sense.

Nothing whackier that the two stooges discussing academics.

Anyone who passed 4th grade science would be capable of comprehending
the concept that a refrigerant does not make anything cold... a
refrigerant removes heat... as does a refrigerator. Cold is merely
the absense of heat. The "re" indicates the *return* to the natural
state.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Phred) wrote:
> Charlene Charette wrote:

> >> But there is in 'fridge'. *Go figure.

> >That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

> At first I thought this was nonsense, but I can see the point:
>
> If one assumes the pronunciation of "Frigidaire" for the abridged
> version [nominally "Frig"] then it would have to be spelt "fridge".

What moroons, long before Frigidaire there was Latin... "Latin
frigidus, from frigere to be cold; akin to Latin frigus frost"

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
> Charlene Charette wrote:

>> > That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

>> So why is it called a "RE-frigerator", and not just "frigerator"?
>> Frigerator would mean "makes cold" (in the modern sense of the
>> language), so why the "re" in front of it?

>> No wonder they English is the hardest language to learn. It

..>> doesn't make any sense.

>Nothing whackier that the two stooges discussing >academics.

>Anyone who passed 4th grade science would be capable of comprehending
>the concept that a refrigerant does not make anything cold... a
>refrigerant removes heat... as does a refrigerator. Cold is merely
>the absense of heat. The "re" indicates the *return* to the natural
>state.

Hey, poor sqwirtz is just all agog from trying to find a fridge big enuf to
hold those meezly 3/4 lbs. of shrimp he prepares for six people...give 'im a
break, lol.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>I am astonished at the blinding stupidity in this thread. Don't you
>blockheads know what a dictionary is?

no -- is there some kind of book that might tell us?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 10:46�am, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Charlene Charette wrote:

> >> So why is it called a "RE-frigerator", and not just "frigerator"?
> >> Frigerator would mean "makes cold" (in the modern sense of the
> >> language), so why the "re" in front of it?

> >> No wonder they English is the hardest language to learn. It

> .>> doesn't make any sense.
>
> >Nothing whackier that the two stooges discussing >academics.
> >Anyone who passed 4th grade science would be capable of comprehending
> >the concept that a refrigerant does not make anything cold... a
> >refrigerant removes heat... as does a refrigerator. *Cold is merely
> >the absense of heat. *The "re" indicates the *return* to the natural
> >state.

> Hey, poor sqwirtz is just all agog from trying to find a fridge big enuf to
> hold those meezly 3/4 lbs. of shrimp he prepares for six people...give 'im a
> break, lol.

Yep, 12 whole ounces of raw shrimp ends up as 8 ounces cooked... just
enough for six to fill a cavity each in one molar. Eight ounces of
cooked shrimp is like feeding 6 people one can of tuna... my six cats
can devour two ounces of shrimp each and be looking for refills.

Twelve ounces raw shrimp is a kinda shrimpy snack for two average
adults... actually it's a tease, and an embarrassment... folks will
have to count each bite so there's an even amount to go around... of
course they'd only need to be able to count up to three. Do you think
anyone hangs with the Sqwertz can count that high. I would allow more
than 3/4 pound of shrimp for those two kids... 3/4 lb of raw shrimp is
a just right appetizer for one adult, especially when the entire menu
is just unsubstantial snack food.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On May 17, 10:46?am, "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > .>> doesn't make any sense.

> > >Nothing whackier that the two stooges discussing >academics.
> > >Anyone who passed 4th grade science would be capable of comprehending
> > >the concept that a refrigerant does not make anything cold... a
> > >refrigerant removes heat... as does a refrigerator. ?Cold is merely
> > >the absense of heat. ?The "re" indicates the *return* to the natural
> > >state.

> > Hey, poor sqwirtz is just all agog from trying to find a fridge big enuf to
> > hold those meezly 3/4 lbs. of shrimp he prepares for six people...give 'im a
> > break, lol.

> Yep, 12 whole ounces of raw shrimp ends up as 8 ounces cooked... just
> enough for six to fill a cavity each in one molar. Eight ounces of
> cooked shrimp is like feeding 6 people one can of tuna... my six cats
> can devour two ounces of shrimp each and be looking for refills.
>
> Twelve ounces raw shrimp is a kinda shrimpy snack for two average
> adults... actually it's a tease, and an embarrassment... folks will
> have to count each bite so there's an even amount to go around... of
> course they'd only need to be able to count up to three. Do you think
> anyone hangs with the Sqwertz can count that high. I would allow more
> than 3/4 pound of shrimp for those two kids... 3/4 lb of raw shrimp is
> a just right appetizer for one adult, especially when the entire menu
> is just unsubstantial snack food.

Sqwuirtz serves a "Pipi Platter" instead of a "Pupu Platter", lol...

Seriously, when I have two - three folks for dinner and I have shrimp
as an app, I never fiddle with less than a coupla pounds, anything
less is an insult, and we always have at least two apps, sometimes
more. Folks know to come to my place HUNGRY, if you go to Squirtz'
pad you'd have to fill up on slop at the Olde Kuntry Boo - fay
beforehand...

And when my guests depart they are sent off with copious leftovers
too, Squirtz sends his guests off with an ole Cheeze Doodle he found
hidden under the couch cushions...ONE Cheeze Doodle.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

<snippety>

ONE Cheeze Doodle.

Who needs to watch 'soap operas'? You get all that 'drama' right here on
r.f.c.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Yep, 12 whole ounces of raw shrimp ends up as 8 ounces cooked...

> More bullshit. Shrimp cooked for 1 minute does not loose 33% of
> it's weight. Where do you come up with this shit?

Sure it does... in fact raw shelled shrimp weeps about 20pct of it's
weight just sitting in the fridge for 24 hours... and when tossed into
the deep fryer just what do you think all that bubbling is about. And
unless it's pretty small shrimp it's gonna need more than a minute to
cook, and the smaller the shrimp the more moisture is lost. Face it,
you're just too miserly to buy normal amounts of food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
rst rst is offline

On May 12, 8:25 pm, " > wrote:
> There is no d in refrigerate.

While you're at it: It's restaurateur.

Not resteraunteur.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> <snippety>
>
> ONE Cheeze Doodle.
>
> Who needs to watch 'soap operas'? You get all that 'drama' right here on
> r.f.c.

Sqwertz gives us LOTS of "material"...this week it's _As The Shrimp
Turns_...

;--p

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rst wrote:
> " wrote:
>
> > There is no d in refrigerate.

> While you're at it: *It's restaurateur.
>
> Not resteraunteur.

Things that go hmmm...

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

>> Not resteraunteur.

> Things that go hmmm...
>
> Sheldon

do you act like this because your pecker is so small?

makes no sense to me

it's petite of you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On 12 May 2007 17:25:15 -0700, wrote:
>>

>>> There is no d in refrigerate.

>> But there is in 'fridge'. Go figure.

> That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

And if you spell it "frig" it doesn't look as if it's pronounced "fridge".

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 13, 7:35*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Charlene Charette wrote:
> > Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> But there is in 'fridge'. *Go figure.

> > That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

> And if you spell it "frig" it doesn't look as if it's pronounced "fridge"..
>
> nancy

Re is used as a preposition here meaning; in re, as to, regarding.
Refrigerate means *regarding cold*.

M-W

re·frig·er·ate
transitive verb
Etymology: Latin refrigeratus, past participle of refrigerare, from
re- + frigerare to cool, from frigor-, frigus cold — more at frigid
Date: 1534
: to make or keep cold or cool ; specifically : to freeze or chill (as
food) for preservation
---

re
preposition
Etymology: Latin, abl. of res thing — more at real
Date: 1707
: with regard to : in re
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chong Dak wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Charlene Charette wrote:

> >> That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

> > And if you spell it "frig" it doesn't look as if it's pronounced "fridge".

> > nancy

> And frig means something COMPLETELY different.

Not so fast...

fridge
Variant(s): also frig \ˈfrij\
noun
Etymology: by shortening & alteration
Date: 1926
: refrigerator
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Dec 13, 7:35 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> Charlene Charette wrote:
>>> That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

>> And if you spell it "frig" it doesn't look as if it's pronounced "fridge".
>>
>> nancy

> Re is used as a preposition here meaning; in re, as to, regarding.
> Refrigerate means *regarding cold*.
>
> M-W
>
> re·frig·er·ate
> transitive verb
> Etymology: Latin refrigeratus, past participle of refrigerare, from
> re- + frigerare to cool, from frigor-, frigus cold — more at frigid
> Date: 1534
> : to make or keep cold or cool ; specifically : to freeze or chill (as
> food) for preservation
> ---
>
> re
> preposition
> Etymology: Latin, abl. of res thing — more at real
> Date: 1707
> : with regard to : in re
> ---

You're confusing the preposition Re with the prefix Re. The preposition
does indeed mean in regard to, however in this case it is the prefix Re
which means (among other things) again, in words such as rewrite and
reread.

Refrigerate doesn't mean *regarding cold*, it means *to make cold again*
or more commonly *to make cold*.

Both are from Latin so I can understand how you have been confused.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chong Dak Pinhead wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >> And if you spell it "frig" it doesn't look as if it's pronounced "fridge".

> >> nancy

> > Re is used as a preposition here meaning; in re, as to, regarding.
> > Refrigerate means *regarding cold*.

> > M-W

> > re·frig·er·ate
> > transitive verb
> > Etymology: Latin refrigeratus, past participle of refrigerare, from
> > re- + frigerare to cool, from frigor-, frigus cold — more at frigid
> > Date: 1534
> > : to make or keep cold or cool ; specifically : to freeze or chill (as
> > food) for preservation
> > ---

> > re
> > preposition
> > Etymology: Latin, abl. of res thing — more at real
> > Date: 1707
> > : with regard to : in re
> > ---

> You're confusing the preposition Re with the prefix Re. The preposition
> does indeed mean in regard to, however in this case it is the prefix Re
> which means (among other things) again, in words such as rewrite and
> reread.
>
> Refrigerate doesn't mean *regarding cold*, it means *to make cold again*
> or more commonly *to make cold*.
>
> Both are from Latin so I can understand how you have been confused.

Friggin' pinhead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 06:52:09 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
wrote:

>Chong Dak Pinhead wrote:
>
>> You're confusing the preposition Re with the prefix Re. The preposition
>> does indeed mean in regard to, however in this case it is the prefix Re
>> which means (among other things) again, in words such as rewrite and
>> reread.
>>
>> Refrigerate doesn't mean *regarding cold*, it means *to make cold again*
>> or more commonly *to make cold*.
>>
>> Both are from Latin so I can understand how you have been confused.

>Friggin' pinhead.

LOL! Still hate to be proven wrong, huh?

why you should refrigerate your tomatoes sf[_9_] General Cooking 22 22-07-2015 02:59 PM
Refrigerate your eggs? or not? ImStillMags General Cooking 8 21-07-2014 03:33 AM
refrigerate meat? Eddie Barbecue 16 26-08-2009 11:53 PM
Why not refrigerate everything? [email protected] General Cooking 43 02-08-2008 02:42 AM
Refrigerate Tahini ? Dean G. General Cooking 5 17-07-2006 03:52 AM