Old 13-05-2007, 01:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The word is refrigerate

There is no d in refrigerate.

Old 13-05-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"djs0 wrote:

There is no d in refrigerate.

Who's arguing there is?

But there is a d in fridge, unless you're trailer trash and have a
****ing (friggin') refrigerater.

Sheldon Icebox

Old 13-05-2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On 12 May 2007 17:25:15 -0700, "
magnanimously proffered:

There is no d in refrigerate.

Was there ever?

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: http://www.surfwriter.net
Old 13-05-2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 8:33?pm, Julia Altshuler wrote:
wrote:
There is no d in refrigerate.

True, but when you wish to abbreviate the word to fridge, it looks
better spelled with the d than frig or frige, which would be pronounced
with the hard g.

Not only that...

Merriam Webster

frig
intransitive verb

Inflected Form(s): frigged ; frig?ging
Etymology: Middle English fryggen to wriggle
: COPULATE -- sometimes used in the present participle as a
meaningless intensive
---

"frige" isn't in the dictionary, unacceptible in Scrabble... frige is
not a word in the English language.

Sheldon

Old 13-05-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
"djs0 wrote:

There is no d in refrigerate.

Who's arguing there is?

But there is a d in fridge, unless you're trailer trash and have a
****ing (friggin') refrigerater.

Sheldon Icebox

maybe the thread on Marijuana recipes got him thinking about reefers . . .

Old 13-05-2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gil Faver wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
"djs0 wrote:

There is no d in refrigerate.

Who's arguing there is?

But there is a d in fridge, unless you're trailer trash and have a
****ing (friggin') refrigerater.

Sheldon Icebox

maybe the thread on Marijuana recipes got him thinking about reefers
. . .

LOL, that was a good one, actually. Thanks. :~)

kili

Old 13-05-2007, 07:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

pontificated:

There is no d in refrigerate.

Dude. Chill.

Bob

Old 16-05-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
ess says...
That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

--Charlene

But there's no "d" at that location in Frigidaire either!?

--
Peter Aitken

Old 16-05-2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

In article 464808c8$0$16380

, Charlene Charette wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:
On 12 May 2007 17:25:15 -0700, wrote:

There is no d in refrigerate.

But there is in 'fridge'. Go figure.

That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

At first I thought this was nonsense, but I can see the point:

If one assumes the pronunciation of "Frigidaire" for the abridged
version [nominally "Frig"] then it would have to be spelt "fridge".

Incidentally, I hadn't realised that Frigidaire developed the original
self-contained refrigerators. The brand name seemed to come later
than others here in Oz as far as I recall. But that may be a
consequence of our old "Commonwealth trade preferences" whereby damn
nearly everything (except decent cars) came from Pommieland for the
first half century or more of "Australia". I can still recall my
surprise at age 12 or 13 when reading that something like 50% of the
world's economy was based in the USA at that time -- and about the
only US products we saw here then were motor vehicles.

AFAIK most all "US" cars exported to Australia years ago were right - hand
drive models built by Canadian subsidiaries of US automakers (Pontiac,
Chevrolet, etc.). This was done because Canada was a fellow Commonwealth
country and the duties on imported Canadian vehicles were consequently lower
than if they were imported directly into Oz from the USA...these Canadian
subisidaries similarly produced US models for export to the UK, too.

Of course at one time Ford and Chrysler were big players in the Oz motor
markets, e.g. Oz - made versions of Ford Falcons and Chrysler (Plymouth)
Valiants were best - sellers in the 60's - 70's...

Chrysler some produced some odd - looking (to us Yanks) "hybrid" models for
the Oz market in the late 50's. They'd use c. 1954 US Plymouth body shells
with '56 - ish Dodge or Plymouth front ends and wierd tailfins on the back,
these were called "Chrysler Royal", etc....similar models were also produced
for the European - Scandinavian markets, all knock - down kit cars.

There were some fairly interesting Chevrolet, etc. utes made by GM - Holden
and others back in the day, too...

Recently a Holden model was built and shipped to the US and sold as the
Pontiac GTO. It was a fairly ordinary sedan, didn't fare too well in the
market. That's the only Oz car ever "exported" to the US AFAIK...

--
Best
Greg

Old 16-05-2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote on 16 May 2007 in rec.food.cooking

In article , Charlene
Charette wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:
[...]

Cheers, Phred.

In the begining Frigidaire's biggest selling point was it's
introducing/inventing the shelves on the door. That is what made them a
leader in the development of fridges...

Somewhat like skill saw and circular saw or kleenex and facial tissue.
Their market share also affected North American English.
Old 17-05-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phred" wrote in message

Incidentally, I hadn't realised that Frigidaire developed the original
self-contained refrigerators. The brand name seemed to come later
than others here in Oz as far as I recall. But that may be a
consequence of our old "Commonwealth trade preferences" whereby damn
nearly everything (except decent cars) came from Pommieland for the
first half century or more of "Australia".

Many years ago, Frigidaire was owned by General Motors. They made some of
the best appliances. The division was sold, consolidated, re-sold a few
more times. Over the past years it was known as : White-Westinghouse, WCI,
and a couple of others At last check, they were owned by Electrolux. That
was over a week ago so it may have changed again. The Frigidaire plants
produce a lot of other brand names, like Gibson, Tappan, White-Westinghouse,
Philco, maybe more. They chose to use the Frigidaire name because of brand
recognition. They no longer make the quality of the past, IMO.

Old 17-05-2007, 02:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
Charlene Charette wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

There is no d in refrigerate.

But there is in 'fridge'. *Go figure.

That's because "fridge" comes from "Frigidaire" not "refrigerator".

So why is it called a "RE-frigerator", and not just "frigerator"?
Frigerator would mean "makes cold" (in the modern sense of the
language), so why the "re" in front of it?

No wonder they English is the hardest language to learn. *It
doesn't make any sense.

Nothing whackier that the two stooges discussing academics.

Anyone who passed 4th grade science would be capable of comprehending
the concept that a refrigerant does not make anything cold... a
refrigerant removes heat... as does a refrigerator. Cold is merely
the absense of heat. The "re" indicates the *return* to the natural
state.

Sheldon

why you should refrigerate your tomatoes sf[_9_] General Cooking 22 22-07-2015 02:59 PM
Refrigerate your eggs? or not? ImStillMags General Cooking 8 21-07-2014 03:33 AM
refrigerate meat? Eddie Barbecue 16 26-08-2009 11:53 PM
Why not refrigerate everything? [email protected] General Cooking 43 02-08-2008 02:42 AM
Refrigerate Tahini ? Dean G. General Cooking 5 17-07-2006 03:52 AM