Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher

Default 9 common foods invented in Canada

From today's National Post:

canola oil
ginger ale
instant mashed potatoes
Marquis wheat
McIntosh apples (and not macintosh as in the computer)
pablum
poutine
processed cheese
yukon gold potatoes

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Michel Boucher wrote:
> From today's National Post:
>
> canola oil
> ginger ale
> instant mashed potatoes
> Marquis wheat
> McIntosh apples (and not macintosh as in the computer)
> pablum
> poutine
> processed cheese
> yukon gold potatoes

You can have the canola oil, the instant spuds, the pablum, the
cheese-type food, and especially that foul poutine stuff.

According to this link ginger ale was already being imported to the US
from Ireland in the 1850's. The US version by Vernor came along a few
years later. When was the Canadian version "invented"?

I do like Yukon golds for their versatility. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Michel Boucher wrote:
> From today's National Post:
>
> canola oil
> ginger ale
>[snip]

Sorry, forgot the link:
http://hcs.harvard.edu/~dins/history/gingerale.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Michel Boucher wrote:

> From today's National Post:
>
> canola oil
> ginger ale
> instant mashed potatoes
> Marquis wheat
> McIntosh apples (and not macintosh as in the computer)
> pablum
> poutine
> processed cheese
> yukon gold potatoes

Hey they forgot peameal bacon ;(
Posted to rec.food.cooking
George

aem wrote:
> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>>From today's National Post:
>>
>>canola oil
>>ginger ale
>>[snip]

> Sorry, forgot the link:
> http://hcs.harvard.edu/~dins/history/gingerale.shtml

I am going to try making that syrup. All of the commercial "ginger ale"
I can find seems to be 50% (or more) HFCS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson

George wrote:

> I am going to try making that syrup. All of the commercial "ginger ale"
> I can find seems to be 50% (or more) HFCS.

You know why that is, don't you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:
> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
> > From today's National Post:
> >
> > canola oil
> > ginger ale
> > instant mashed potatoes
> > Marquis wheat
> > McIntosh apples (and not macintosh as in the computer)
> > pablum
> > poutine
> > processed cheese
> > yukon gold potatoes
> >

> Hey they forgot peameal bacon ;(

Canadian bacon is actually a British development.

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/pork-tenderloin/press/Your_old_pal_Canadian_bacon_probably_isn't.htm

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/por...pork-faq.shtml

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher

"aem" > wrote in
oups.com:

> You can have the canola oil, the instant spuds, the pablum, the
> cheese-type food, and especially that foul poutine stuff.

How, pray tell is poutine foul? Have you ever eaten a good one?

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher

"aem" > wrote in news:1131832811.299919.315480
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>> From today's National Post:
>>
>> canola oil
>> ginger ale
>>[snip]

> Sorry, forgot the link:
> http://hcs.harvard.edu/~dins/history/gingerale.shtml

Sorry, that should have been pale dry ginger ale which was patented as
Canada Dry. There is a reason for calling it Canada Dry :-)

--
"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher

~patches~ > wrote in
:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> From today's National Post:
>>
>> canola oil
>> ginger ale
>> instant mashed potatoes
>> Marquis wheat
>> McIntosh apples (and not macintosh as in the computer)
>> pablum
>> poutine
>> processed cheese
>> yukon gold potatoes
>>

> Hey they forgot peameal bacon ;(

That's just a preparation for pork, it is neither a dish nor a
process.

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "aem" wrote in
>
> > You can have the canola oil, the instant spuds, the pablum, the
> > cheese-type food, and especially that foul poutine stuff.

> How, pray tell is poutine foul?

Have you ever looked at it?

> Have you ever eaten a good one?

Have you ever looked at it?

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Michel Boucher wrote:
> ~patches~ > wrote in
> :
>
> > Michel Boucher wrote:
> >
> >> From today's National Post:
> >>
> >> canola oil
> >> ginger ale
> >> instant mashed potatoes
> >> Marquis wheat
> >> McIntosh apples (and not macintosh as in the computer)
> >> pablum
> >> poutine
> >> processed cheese
> >> yukon gold potatoes
> >>

> > Hey they forgot peameal bacon ;(

> That's just a preparation for pork, it is neither a dish nor a
> process.

Of course it's a process... all bacon is processed... do you think meat
is just sliced off the pig already cured/pickled... maybe from your
drunken butt. Actually there is no cut of pork called bacon...
American style bacon is *processed* "side pork"... Canadian style bacon
is *processed* "pork loin".

That said Canadian style bacon is actually a British process.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<From today's National Post:

canola oil
ginger ale
instant mashed potatoes
Marquis wheat
McIntosh apples (and not macintosh as in the computer)
pablum
poutine
processed cheese
yukon gold potatoes>

Canola oil
Ginger ale (when made with Cane sugar, NOT HFCS).
McIntosh apples
Yukon Gold potatoes...

Are 4 things I would not like to live without.
Thanks, Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Ginger ale (when made with Cane sugar, NOT HFCS).

In Canada, we use true cane sugar from Cuba. Yumyum :-)

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Michel Boucher wrote:

> " > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

>>Ginger ale (when made with Cane sugar, NOT HFCS).

> In Canada, we use true cane sugar from Cuba. Yumyum :-)

DD just got back from a week in Cuba. They are home this weekend. Last
night we watched a DVD of one of the tours they were on. She said that
rice in some form was served at every meal. She also said that any
traditional Cuban food was done very nicely but other types of food were
done poorly to the point of almost being inedible. One roast had been
cooked to the point of shoe leather. She managed to get a few recipes
and pics of some of the foods so once she gets things organized, she'll
send them to me so I can share them with the newsgroup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 13 Nov 2005 07:19:09a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> " > wrote in
>> oups.com:
>>

>>>Ginger ale (when made with Cane sugar, NOT HFCS).

>> In Canada, we use true cane sugar from Cuba. Yumyum :-)
>>

> DD just got back from a week in Cuba. They are home this weekend. Last
> night we watched a DVD of one of the tours they were on. She said that
> rice in some form was served at every meal. She also said that any
> traditional Cuban food was done very nicely but other types of food were
> done poorly to the point of almost being inedible. One roast had been
> cooked to the point of shoe leather. She managed to get a few recipes
> and pics of some of the foods so once she gets things organized, she'll
> send them to me so I can share them with the newsgroup.

Sounds interesting. My grandparents used to vacation in pre-Castro Cuba
and really loved it, and the food.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Sheldon wrote:
> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>>"aem" wrote in
>>

>>>You can have the canola oil, the instant spuds, the pablum, the
>>>cheese-type food, and especially that foul poutine stuff.

>>How, pray tell is poutine foul?

> Have you ever looked at it?
>

>>Have you ever eaten a good one?

> Have you ever looked at it?
>
> Sheldon

there are many foul looking things that taste very good. poutine is one
of them

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby

"sarah bennett" > wrote in message
. ..
> there are many foul looking things that taste very good. poutine is one of
> them

Nothing that makes french fries soggy is good. ;o)

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher

~patches~ > wrote in
:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> " > wrote in
>> oups.com:
>>
>>>Ginger ale (when made with Cane sugar, NOT HFCS).

>> In Canada, we use true cane sugar from Cuba. Yumyum :-)

> DD just got back from a week in Cuba. They are home this weekend.
> Last night we watched a DVD of one of the tours they were on.
> She said that rice in some form was served at every meal. She
> also said that any traditional Cuban food was done very nicely but
> other types of food were done poorly to the point of almost being
> inedible. One roast had been cooked to the point of shoe leather.
> She managed to get a few recipes and pics of some of the foods so
> once she gets things organized, she'll send them to me so I can
> share them with the newsgroup.

When my sister went to Cuba a few years ago, I got her to bring me
back a used book of Cuban cuisine. Obviously, it's in spanish and
it's a cheap popular edition: Recetas útiles de cocina, by Guadalupe
Ramirez, Editorial Oriente, 1991. It was more for the interest than
the actual attempt to cook Cuban food. I have heard from others that
the food served to tourists was poorly prepared, but that if you took
a room with a family, you stood a better chance of eating well.

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> there are many foul looking things that taste very good. poutine is one
> of them

Never tried it.

One of my favorite foods as a child, which I haven't had for a while is
cottage cheese with baked potatoes.

Put some potatoes in the oven. Dump cottage cheese in a bowl and add
chopped onions. I like any kind, green, yellow, white or red, whatever
you like. Mix well. The cottage cheese mixture will come to room
temperature while the potatoes cook. When the potatoes are done, put
one on a plate, cut the top and add cottage cheese mixture. I usually
add a spice mixture to the top. Currently we use Penzey's Salad
Elegant, but we used something similar before.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:34:49 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> sarah bennett > wrote:
>

> > there are many foul looking things that taste very good. poutine is one
> > of them

> Never tried it.

I've never looked for a recipe or an image of poutine before
this....but I googled it tonight. LOL It looks like the French
Quebec equivalent of cheese fries.

It's french fries, cottage cheese (they call it cheddar cheese curds)
and brown chicken gravy.... they laugh at our fast food. <snork>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:15:36 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>I've never looked for a recipe or an image of poutine before
>this....but I googled it tonight. LOL It looks like the French
>Quebec equivalent of cheese fries.
>
>It's french fries, cottage cheese (they call it cheddar cheese curds)
>and brown chicken gravy.... they laugh at our fast food. <snork>

Ahhhh ... you're not from dairy country.

Cheddar cheese curds are nuggets of fresh cheddar cheese, big enough
to pick up and eat as finger food. Around here, they come in
mozzarella and cheddar. Possibly others that I haven't noticed. And
various flavored versions of the above.

Ya learn something new every day,
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher

sf > wrote in
:

> It's french fries, cottage cheese (they call it cheddar cheese
> curds) and brown chicken gravy....

The freshness of the cheese is very important, It has to be made
that day for the poutine to be good otherwise it's like eating an
oreo cookie and calling it a chocolate cake (not even close). The
cheese is fresh cheddar cheese in curds (fromage en grains), not
cottage cheese (which is why it's called cheddar cheese curds in
English) and brown sauce, not chicken gravy. It can also be served
with a sauce bolognaise (poutine italienne) or with chicken and a
chicken gravy. Where did you find this fount of misinformation?

> they laugh at our fast food.
> <snork> --

Who said we laugh at your food? Prepared foods (like soups used as
sauces, yes, because...well...just because) but not fresh foods, like
poutine. Read this instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Ignore the bit about New Brunswick. I'm going to submit a
correction. Their poutine, although made with potato, has no other
commonality with Québec poutine. And just as an aside, there is no
such thing as French Quebec, there is only Québec and it is a
province of Canada.

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:34:49 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:
>

>> In article >,
>> sarah bennett > wrote:
>>

>> > there are many foul looking things that taste very good. poutine is one
>> > of them

>> Never tried it.
>>

> I've never looked for a recipe or an image of poutine before
> this....but I googled it tonight. LOL It looks like the French
> Quebec equivalent of cheese fries.
>
> It's french fries, cottage cheese (they call it cheddar cheese curds)

Cheddar cheese curds are much larger and saltier than cottage cheese
curds and have none of the creamy liquid of cottage cheese. They are
rather crumbly. You can buy cheddar cheese curds in the cheese section
in some stores. DMIL used to include them on her cheese trays.

> and brown chicken gravy.... they laugh at our fast food. <snork>

Personally I laught at all fast food
> --
>
> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally

Gabby wrote:

> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > there are many foul looking things that taste very good. poutine is one of
> > them

> Nothing that makes french fries soggy is good. ;o)

Well, if you eat it fast enough the fries don't
get soggy, especially if they're crispy enough to
begin with. :-)

Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

sarah replied to Sheldon:

>>>How, pray tell is poutine foul?

>> Have you ever looked at it?
>>

>>>Have you ever eaten a good one?

>> Have you ever looked at it?
>>
>> Sheldon
>>

> there are many foul looking things that taste very good. poutine is one of
> them

Sheldon eats head cheese. He's hardly in a position to pass judgment on the
appearance of food.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
A.C.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Ahhhh ... you're not from dairy country.
>
> Cheddar cheese curds are nuggets of fresh cheddar cheese, big enough
> to pick up and eat as finger food. Around here, they come in
> mozzarella and cheddar. Possibly others that I haven't noticed. And
> various flavored versions of the above.

mmmmmm squeaky cheese :P

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brian Huntley

Michel Boucher wrote:
> Ignore the bit about New Brunswick. I'm going to submit a
> correction. Their poutine, although made with potato, has no other
> commonality with Québec poutine.

Perhaps not, but it's been around longer than 1957.

In Acadian parts of NB (ie the east coast of the province) you can buy
poutine rapee in large cans in grocery stores. You might find it at a
farmer's market, too, if you want to start your day with a heart
attack, but if you're in the market in Dieppe, go to the Thai food
stand instead - you won't be disappointed.