Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Was This Called ?

In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.

Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )

I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???

Anyone with a 30 year memory ?

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
>
> Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
> ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
>
> I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
> All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
>
> Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
>
> <rj>

Jeez. We had one and I have no idea what it was called! We had the one
patty, IIRC. Darn it! I remember it being a PITA to clean, 'cause it was
electric and you couldn't submerge it. I hated the thing, washing it, as a
kid. Was it a West Bend item?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:54:17 -0700, <RJ> wrote:

> In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
>
> Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
> ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
>
> I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
> All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
>
> Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
>
> <rj>

It's not a Fry Daddy.
http://tinyurl.com/9nerx

but Presto did make a hamburger cooker:
PrestoBurger hamburger cooker (1974)
http://tinyurl.com/8n5hk
Scroll down for the picture
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:54:17 -0700, <RJ> wrote:
> >
> > In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
> >
> > Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
> > ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
> >
> > I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
> > All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
> >
> > Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
> >
> > <rj>

> It's not a Fry Daddy.
> http://tinyurl.com/9nerx
>
> but Presto did make a hamburger cooker:
> PrestoBurger hamburger cooker (1974)
> http://tinyurl.com/8n5hk
> Scroll down for the picture

I don't know if that's the one we had. I just know we had one and I hated
washing it. I'm thinking that it had some sort of a lock on it so it
couldn't open, but you could flip it. Maybe a loop went over the two
handles? I need a closer up picture.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"kilikini" > wrote in message
m...

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:54:17 -0700, <RJ> wrote:
> > >
> > > In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
> > >
> > > Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
> > > ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
> > >
> > > I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
> > > All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
> > >
> > > Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
> > >
> > > <rj>

> > It's not a Fry Daddy.
> > http://tinyurl.com/9nerx
> >
> > but Presto did make a hamburger cooker:
> > PrestoBurger hamburger cooker (1974)
> > http://tinyurl.com/8n5hk
> > Scroll down for the picture

> I don't know if that's the one we had. I just know we had one and I hated
> washing it. I'm thinking that it had some sort of a lock on it so it
> couldn't open, but you could flip it. Maybe a loop went over the two
> handles? I need a closer up picture.
>
> kili

God, I just found the double one on E-bay (presto) and I think that was it.
I remember a middle part coming out that had to be cleaned. God, I really
hated that thing. Have I said that enough, yet?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

<RJ> wrote:

> In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
>
> Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
> ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
>
> I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
> All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
>
> Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
>
> <rj>

Oh I remember those things but don't recall what they were called. I
bought something yesterday that is similar for DS who is single. A
George Foreman would be too big. This one is called a compact grill and
is made by Proctor Silex. I got it on sale for $10 at K-mart. It's big
enough for 2 hamburg patties or other single serving meats. In
hindsight, I should have picked up 2.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 06 Nov 2005 02:13:43p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:54:17 -0700, <RJ> wrote:
>>
>> In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
>>
>> Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
>> ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
>>
>> I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
>> All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
>>
>> Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
>>
>> <rj>

> It's not a Fry Daddy.
> http://tinyurl.com/9nerx
>
> but Presto did make a hamburger cooker:
> PrestoBurger hamburger cooker (1974)
> http://tinyurl.com/8n5hk
> Scroll down for the picture

I had one of the PrestoBurger units back in the 70s, and I don't know what
happened to it. I thought it actually made a good burger, like one made on
a restaurant griddle. Last year I bought a brand new one on eBay, but
haven't gotten around to using it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

kilikini wrote:

> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
>
>>In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
>>
>>Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
>>( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
>>
>>I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
>>All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
>>
>>Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
>>
>><rj>

> Jeez. We had one and I have no idea what it was called! We had the one
> patty, IIRC. Darn it! I remember it being a PITA to clean, 'cause it was
> electric and you couldn't submerge it. I hated the thing, washing it, as a
> kid. Was it a West Bend item?
>
> kili

I replied to the OP but now thinking about it didn't they also have a
similar gadget for cooking hot dogs? I think they came out about the
same time as air popcorn makers and sandwich makers but I could be
wrong. It was back when there was a real boom in electric gadgets for
the kitchen. That trend seems to be repeating itself with more single
use kitchen gadgets than anyone would ever have storage space for. No
wonder young adults get confused trying to actually cook!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

kilikini wrote:

> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
> >
> > In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
> >
> > Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
> > ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
> >
> > I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
> > All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???

IIRC the 'fry daddy' was a 1 cup or so deep fryer. I wonder if it was
the "George Forman" product?
---
JL

> > Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
> >
> > <rj>

> Jeez. We had one and I have no idea what it was called! We had the
> one
> patty, IIRC. Darn it! I remember it being a PITA to clean, 'cause it
> was
> electric and you couldn't submerge it. I hated the thing, washing it,
> as a
> kid. Was it a West Bend item?
>
> kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:54:17 -0700, <RJ> wrote:
>

>> In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
>>
>> Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
>> ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
>>
>> I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
>> All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
>>
>> Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
>>
>> <rj>

> It's not a Fry Daddy.
> http://tinyurl.com/9nerx
>
> but Presto did make a hamburger cooker:
> PrestoBurger hamburger cooker (1974)
> http://tinyurl.com/8n5hk
> Scroll down for the picture

Yep, the Presto is the one I remember! You can still find them at used
goods stores and yard sales.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..
> God, I just found the double one on E-bay (presto) and I think that
> was it.
> I remember a middle part coming out that had to be cleaned. God, I
> really
> hated that thing. Have I said that enough, yet?

Can I take it you won't be bidding for it then?

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
k...

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > God, I just found the double one on E-bay (presto) and I think that
> > was it.
> > I remember a middle part coming out that had to be cleaned. God, I
> > really
> > hated that thing. Have I said that enough, yet?

> Can I take it you won't be bidding for it then?
>
> )

Not likely! LOL

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

<RJ> wrote:
> In the mid 70's they marketed a burger fryer.
>
> Looked like a little waffle iron, and cooked "one hamburger"
> ( later models cooked 2-at-a-time )
>
> I can't for the life of me, remember the name.
> All that comes to mind is "Fry Daddy" ???
>
> Anyone with a 30 year memory ?
>
> <rj>

It was a Presto-Burger. I had one. You put enough for one pattie of beef
in it and closed the thing and it cooked it on both sides.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"~patches~" > wrote

> I replied to the OP but now thinking about it didn't they also have a
> similar gadget for cooking hot dogs? I think they came out about the same
> time as air popcorn makers and sandwich makers but I could be wrong. It
> was back when there was a real boom in electric gadgets for the kitchen.
> That trend seems to be repeating itself with more single use kitchen
> gadgets than anyone would ever have storage space for. No wonder young
> adults get confused trying to actually cook!

It occurred to me that a new semester has long begun, and I didn't see
any of those commercials for that frozen pizza maker ... the one with a
turntable? Guess it wasn't all that, after all.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "~patches~" > wrote
>
>> I replied to the OP but now thinking about it didn't they also have a
>> similar gadget for cooking hot dogs? I think they came out about
>> the same time as air popcorn makers and sandwich makers but I could
>> be wrong. It was back when there was a real boom in electric
>> gadgets for the kitchen. That trend seems to be repeating itself
>> with more single use kitchen gadgets than anyone would ever have
>> storage space for. No wonder young adults get confused trying to
>> actually cook!

> It occurred to me that a new semester has long begun, and I didn't see
> any of those commercials for that frozen pizza maker ... the one with
> a turntable? Guess it wasn't all that, after all.
>
> nancy

It was a Presto Burger. Just one burger. Heated both sides, no grill
marks.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> m...

>>> It's not a Fry Daddy.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/9nerx
>>>
>>> but Presto did make a hamburger cooker:
>>> PrestoBurger hamburger cooker (1974)
>>> http://tinyurl.com/8n5hk
>>> Scroll down for the picture

>> I don't know if that's the one we had. I just know we had one and I
>> hated washing it. I'm thinking that it had some sort of a lock on
>> it so it couldn't open, but you could flip it. Maybe a loop went
>> over the two handles? I need a closer up picture.
>>
>> kili
>>

> God, I just found the double one on E-bay (presto) and I think that
> was it. I remember a middle part coming out that had to be cleaned.
> God, I really hated that thing. Have I said that enough, yet?
>
> kili

You don't like burgers so why would you like a Presto Burger maker? LOL Now
if they had an automatic crab picker, you'd be all over that! (hehehe)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> "~patches~" > wrote
>>

>>> be wrong. It was back when there was a real boom in electric
>>> gadgets for the kitchen. That trend seems to be repeating itself
>>> with more single use kitchen gadgets than anyone would ever have
>>> storage space for. No wonder young adults get confused trying to
>>> actually cook!

>> It occurred to me that a new semester has long begun, and I didn't see
>> any of those commercials for that frozen pizza maker ... the one with
>> a turntable? Guess it wasn't all that, after all.

> It was a Presto Burger. Just one burger. Heated both sides, no grill
> marks.

?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:10:53 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

> It was a Presto Burger. Just one burger. Heated both sides, no grill
> marks.

Maybe you've just given them an idea for a new product!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:10:53 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > It was a Presto Burger. Just one burger. Heated both sides, no grill
> > marks.

> Maybe you've just given them an idea for a new product!

Yabut, who needs that when one has a foreman-type grill? :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 21:24:55 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:10:53 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > > It was a Presto Burger. Just one burger. Heated both sides, no grill
> > > marks.

> > Maybe you've just given them an idea for a new product!

> Yabut, who needs that when one has a foreman-type grill? :-)

Presto might not think that way.