Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default THAT is what it's called!

Last time I went to South Korea, there was a street food that I liked, but
whose name I couldn't remember. There's a guy at work here who just arrived
from living there for the last 20 years or so, and he gave me this name for
the dish: dok bok gi. Does anybody have a recipe for this stuff? Google has
proven useless.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 20, 9:56 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:

> Last time I went to South Korea, there was a street food that I liked, but
> whose name I couldn't remember. There's a guy at work here who just arrived
> from living there for the last 20 years or so, and he gave me this name for
> the dish: dok bok gi. Does anybody have a recipe for this stuff? Google has
> proven useless.

Duk Boki

1/2 lb. Duk (Cylindrical rice cake)
1 tbsp Gochujang
1/2 tbsp miso
1 garlic clove, chopped finely
1/2 tsp red pepper powder
1 stalk bok choy
1 scallion chopped
Sesame oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tsp sugar
1/4 lb beef chuck
1 Carrot, sliced
Black pepper

1. Soak Duk in cold water for 10 minutes
2. Cut beef into 1/4 inch thick 1" x 2" slices.
3. Mix beef, black pepper, garlic and 1 tsp sesame oil in bowl
4. Brown beef in a frying pan
5. Add in carrots, scallions, bok choy and duk, mix and cover and
steam for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
6. Mix the gochujang, hot pepper, miso, sugar and 2 tsps water in bowl
until blended.
7. Add mixture to the pan and stir. Add broth as needed if sauce
becomes too thick.
8. Ready to serve when the duk is soft!

Duk Bokki

7 oz of strings of white rice cake (Duk Bokki purpose)
1/4 of onion
half carrot
2 soaked shitake mushrooms
red and green chilly pepper
oil sesame seed oil

Seasoning:
1 Tbs of ground red pepper
1 Tbs of red bean paste (gochujang)
1 Tbs of soy sauce
3 Tbs of beef broth
1 Tbs of chopped green onion
1 Tbs of chopped garlic
1/2 Tbs of sugar, sesame seeds, ground black pepper, sesame seed oil

Choose thin white rice cake for Dukbokki or (Tukbokki) purpose. Mix
strings with a few drops of sesame seed oil.

Cut onion and carrot about 1/4 inch thickness.

Soak mushroom in warm water for about 20 minutes and cut into thin
pieces. Deseed green and red chilly peppers and cut them diagonally.

Make seasoning, and mix it well.

In a deep skillet, coat with oil, and pour seasoning. When seasoning
starts to boil add onion, carrot, mushroom, red and green pepper. Stir
for a while.

Add strings of rice cake, and keep stirring until all the ingredients
are cooked. Taste to see if you need more salt.

-------

Derek Juhl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Derek provided:

> Duk Boki
>
> 1/2 lb. Duk (Cylindrical rice cake)
> 1 tbsp Gochujang
> 1/2 tbsp miso
> 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
> 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
> 1 stalk bok choy
> 1 scallion chopped
> Sesame oil
> 1/2 cup chicken broth
> 2 tsp sugar
> 1/4 lb beef chuck
> 1 Carrot, sliced
> Black pepper

<snip>

> Duk Bokki
>
> 7 oz of strings of white rice cake (Duk Bokki purpose)
> 1/4 of onion
> half carrot
> 2 soaked shitake mushrooms
> red and green chilly pepper
> oil sesame seed oil
>
> Seasoning:
> 1 Tbs of ground red pepper
> 1 Tbs of red bean paste (gochujang)
> 1 Tbs of soy sauce
> 3 Tbs of beef broth
> 1 Tbs of chopped green onion
> 1 Tbs of chopped garlic
> 1/2 Tbs of sugar, sesame seeds, ground black pepper, sesame seed oil
>
> Choose thin white rice cake for Dukbokki or (Tukbokki) purpose. Mix
> strings with a few drops of sesame seed oil.
>
> Cut onion and carrot about 1/4 inch thickness.
>
> Soak mushroom in warm water for about 20 minutes and cut into thin
> pieces. Deseed green and red chilly peppers and cut them diagonally.
>
> Make seasoning, and mix it well.
>
> In a deep skillet, coat with oil, and pour seasoning. When seasoning
> starts to boil add onion, carrot, mushroom, red and green pepper. Stir
> for a while.
>
> Add strings of rice cake, and keep stirring until all the ingredients
> are cooked. Taste to see if you need more salt.

The second one sounds like it might be close to what I had in Korea, though
I thought it had hard-boiled eggs also. (Naturally, there's nothing stopping
me from adding hard-boiled eggs to the recipe above.)

Thanks, Derek!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Derek provided:
>
>> Duk Boki
>>
>> 1/2 lb. Duk (Cylindrical rice cake)
>> 1 tbsp Gochujang
>> 1/2 tbsp miso
>> 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
>> 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
>> 1 stalk bok choy
>> 1 scallion chopped
>> Sesame oil
>> 1/2 cup chicken broth
>> 2 tsp sugar
>> 1/4 lb beef chuck
>> 1 Carrot, sliced
>> Black pepper

> <snip>
>> Duk Bokki
>>
>> 7 oz of strings of white rice cake (Duk Bokki purpose)
>> 1/4 of onion
>> half carrot
>> 2 soaked shitake mushrooms
>> red and green chilly pepper
>> oil sesame seed oil
>>
>> Seasoning:
>> 1 Tbs of ground red pepper
>> 1 Tbs of red bean paste (gochujang)
>> 1 Tbs of soy sauce
>> 3 Tbs of beef broth
>> 1 Tbs of chopped green onion
>> 1 Tbs of chopped garlic
>> 1/2 Tbs of sugar, sesame seeds, ground black pepper, sesame seed oil
>>
>> Choose thin white rice cake for Dukbokki or (Tukbokki) purpose. Mix
>> strings with a few drops of sesame seed oil.
>>
>> Cut onion and carrot about 1/4 inch thickness.
>>
>> Soak mushroom in warm water for about 20 minutes and cut into thin
>> pieces. Deseed green and red chilly peppers and cut them diagonally.
>>
>> Make seasoning, and mix it well.
>>
>> In a deep skillet, coat with oil, and pour seasoning. When seasoning
>> starts to boil add onion, carrot, mushroom, red and green pepper. Stir
>> for a while.
>>
>> Add strings of rice cake, and keep stirring until all the ingredients
>> are cooked. Taste to see if you need more salt.

> The second one sounds like it might be close to what I had in Korea, though
> I thought it had hard-boiled eggs also. (Naturally, there's nothing stopping
> me from adding hard-boiled eggs to the recipe above.)
>
> Thanks, Derek!
>

> Bob

Did it look like this?
http://images.egullet.com/u8294/i3739.jpg

Koreans also spell it tteokbokki or ddeokbokki so it gets kind of
complictaed.

There is a discussion about it he
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=37737

I like hanging out at eGullet for new foods. Interesting place to
discuss food.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:51:18 GMT, Melondy >
wrote:

>Did it look like this?
>http://images.egullet.com/u8294/i3739.jpg
>
>Koreans also spell it tteokbokki or ddeokbokki so it gets kind of
>complictaed.
>
>There is a discussion about it he
>http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=37737
>
>I like hanging out at eGullet for new foods. Interesting place to
>discuss food.
>
>Melondy

I am a big eGullet fan too, from way back. I don't post much, but I
read it voraciously. The dinner thread is incredible. And I have
learned tons there.

I am due to meet up with an active eGullet poster when I get to
Richmond. She is looking forward to doing some cooking with me.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Mar 2007 00:56:02 -0500, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Last time I went to South Korea, there was a street food that I liked, but
>whose name I couldn't remember. There's a guy at work here who just arrived
>from living there for the last 20 years or so, and he gave me this name for
>the dish: dok bok gi. Does anybody have a recipe for this stuff? Google has
>proven useless.

Is this going to turn into a poke fun at the connection thread too?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Is this going to turn into a poke fun at the connection thread too?

Just killfile me, bitch.

Bob