Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

Default What is this called?

I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
> http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

Souffle dish.

Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

In article >,
Ubiquitous > wrote:

> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
> http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

Glass individual-serving casserole dishes.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:38:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>> Ubiquitous > wrote:

>>> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.

http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

>>Glass individual-serving casserole dishes.

I was looking for a specific culinary term.

>They also look like ovenproof soup bowls, like the kind in which onion
>soup is fixed.

They bowls only hold one cup (8 ounxes). Not sure if that's much soup.
Could they be used to bake eggs (one per bowl)?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ubiquitous wrote:
> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
> http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

\

Ramekins? I'm not sure there's a name that connotes handles.

Corning used to make something similar and called them "Grabbits".

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
>>On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:38:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

>>>Glass individual-serving casserole dishes.

> I was looking for a specific culinary term.

They look like the vessels in which cooks place ingredients and seasonings
to be used while cooking mise en place. They appear way too small to
actually cook anything in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
>>On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:38:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

>>>Glass individual-serving casserole dishes.

> I was looking for a specific culinary term.

So, like, what, you want something in French?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ubiquitous wrote:
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:38:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG
>>> Glass individual-serving casserole dishes.

> I was looking for a specific culinary term.
>
>> They also look like ovenproof soup bowls, like the kind in which onion
>> soup is fixed.

> They bowls only hold one cup (8 ounxes). Not sure if that's much soup.
> Could they be used to bake eggs (one per bowl)?

Without further info, I'd treat them as I would individual soup bowls.
The confusing thing to me, is that if they were meant for soup or chili,
why didn't they include lids like the ceramic ones do (I have 4 ceramic
& glazed 12 Oz soup/chili bowls with both nub handles and lids). Mine
are ok in the oven at warming temps, and in the microwave with lid off
for a reheat. I have not pushed them temperature wise. Glass I would
push further :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"Ubiquitous" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
> http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

They are potagers, presumably of Pyrex glass. I've never seen them made of
that. They're usually heavy pottery and often brown, which is practical
because when they are run under a broiler to brown the cheese on top of the
onion soup, stains appear on the body. These appear never to have been
used.

Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

Giusi wrote:
> "Ubiquitous" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
>> http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG
>>

> They are potagers, presumably of Pyrex glass. I've never seen them made of
> that. They're usually heavy pottery and often brown, which is practical
> because when they are run under a broiler to brown the cheese on top of the
> onion soup, stains appear on the body. These appear never to have been
> used.

Okay Giusi, you use the term "potager" which can mean either a bowl for
soup, or a pot for growing a kitchen garden per the inet definitions.
Which were you referring to? It seems you were referring to "soup" bowl,
but most definitions seem to indicate a kitchen garden (herb) role.

The inet def I found that seems to describe:
http://www.answers.com/topic/potager-1 in a typical manner.

I mentioned I have soup/chili bowls (mine were glazed ceramic, with lids
used for soup or chili, and also brown). Since I did post almost two
hours earlier than you, I assumed you saw my post. That is why I'm
confused with the term "potager". Rather than a description of a soup
bowl usage, the inet seems to describe these for kitchen garden usage.

Can you clarify?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:
> They also look like ovenproof soup bowls, like the kind in which onion
> soup is fixed.
>
> Christine

Yes, more like that because of the handle, IMO, than of an individual
casserole. The little casseroles often have two handles instead of one.
Or none.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

In article >,
Ubiquitous > wrote:

> wrote:
> >On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:38:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

> >>Glass individual-serving casserole dishes.

> I was looking for a specific culinary term.

Ovenproof Casserole Dish For One. Or Individual Casserole Dish.

> They bowls only hold one cup (8 ounxes). Not sure if that's much soup.
> Could they be used to bake eggs (one per bowl)?

They can be used however you choose to use them. In some restaurants, a
cup of soup is an 8-ounce serving. In others, it seems to be slightly
more than that.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:38:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ubiquitous > wrote:
>
>> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
>> http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

>Glass individual-serving casserole dishes.

Corning Vision calls it "Grabit"... is embossed with V-150-V.
Scroll to very bottom... I have just one... I use it to store small
amounts of LOs.
http://www.tias.com/8860/InventoryPage/1611935/1.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:38:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Ubiquitous > wrote:
>
>> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
>> http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

>Glass individual-serving casserole dishes.

Ther eare many colors of this on the net:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...7zdgx54c3 1_b
Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

On Sep 13, 4:18*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Ubiquitous" > ha scritto nel messaggio> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
> >http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

> They are potagers, presumably of Pyrex glass. *I've never seen them made of
> that. *They're usually heavy pottery and often brown, which is practical
> because when they are run under a broiler to brown the cheese on top of the
> onion soup, stains appear on the body. *These appear never to have been
> used.

Those are definitely NOT made by Pyrex. The shape is not one of their
molds (the handles are completely wrong for Pyrex) and they didn't
really do plain milky glass. Pyrex used the white glass with fired on
colors and patterns and later (in the late 1980's and 90's) went to
clear colored glass. Those look to me like they were made by
Glasbake. Glasbake and Anchor Hocking both used milky glass, some with
colors, some not. Pyrex rarely did plain milk glass. Anchor used more
angular shapes though, so I'm thinking this is Glasbake. I'd be
interested to know what the bottom stamp says.

Pyrex didn't make "Grabbit's", those were actually the Corningware
pyro-ceramic material. Pyrex is tempered glass. Big difference.

I would call them handled soup bowls or casseroles. If you're selling
them on ebay, the important thing to mention is the manufacturer, the
capacity and that they have handles. That's what collectors will be
looking for.

Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"Bob Muncie" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>> They are potagers, presumably of Pyrex glass. I've never seen them made
>> of >> that.

> Okay Giusi, you use the term "potager" which can mean either a bowl for
> soup, or a pot for growing a kitchen garden per the inet definitions.
> Which were you referring to? It seems you were referring to "soup" bowl,
> but most definitions seem to indicate a kitchen garden (herb) role.

What you call your veg garden I call my orto and French call a potager. But
it also means a soup bowl and that's of course what this looks like. You
must have seen those brown drooly looking ones? In shape it resembles a
porringer, but those are usually smaller and I haven't seen any newer than
early 19th century.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

On Sep 13, 12:39*am, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "Ubiquitous" > wrote in message

> > I was looking for a specific culinary term.

> They look like the vessels in which cooks place ingredients and seasonings
> to be used while cooking mise en place. *They appear way too small to
> actually cook anything in.

I wonder if they could be for dipping sauces in some Oriental
cuisine? They do look useful for a mise en place though.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"John Kane" > wrote:

>I wonder if they could be for dipping sauces in some Oriental
>cuisine? They do look useful for a mise en place though.

I had a little souffle in one in a Georgetown restaurant years ago. I think
I've also seen them with French Onion Soup, as someone else said, but they
were that odd brown glazed pottery stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

none of your business wrote:
> On Sep 13, 7:33 pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >
> wrote:
>> On Sep 13, 5:18 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>

>> They're probably not individual "souflee dishes", soufflees need
>> straight sides in order to rise. I had 3 (consecutive) Corningware
>> clear glass souflee dishes (DH the dishwasher broke all three). I
>> finally got a Corningware "French White" Souflee dish that outlasted
>> the husband. I loved the clear glass straight sided ones more because
>> they made for great presentation with layered salads (no, NOT Jello!)
>> Lynn in Fargo

> Your clear Pyrex souffle dishes must have been from the early half of
> the 20th century. They stopped making that shape in the 1950's. What a
> shame they broke. Corningware is more durable, of course but Pyrex has
> so many colorful pieces. I have Corningware and Pyrex pieces that are
> 40-50 years old, and have been used daily that entire time.

I have a set of three different-sized nesting straight-sided Corning
soufflee dishes that my sister-in-law gave me as a Christmas gift
probably 30 years ago, in the 70s.

I don't use them a often because altho I am sure they are sturdy, they
seem very thin. And of course, I don't make many soufflees. Between
cholesterol and weight-loss diets, most people don't eat the way we used to.

gloria p
Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

On Sep 12, 9:05*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Ubiquitous" > wrote in message

> > I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
> >http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

> Souffle dish.

You are SO dumb.

Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
> I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
> http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG

Looks like most sellers are listing these bowls as "Glasbake milk glass soup
bowls with handles" or something similar (assuming yours are made by
Glasbake as well). There are quite a few listings on eBay for them (and
they don't seem to sell for much).

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx Minx wrote:

> "Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
>
>>I'd like to be able to name them properly when I sell them on Ebay.
>>http://weberm10.home.comcast.net/P9070009.JPG
>>

> Looks like most sellers are listing these bowls as "Glasbake milk glass soup
> bowls with handles" or something similar (assuming yours are made by
> Glasbake as well). There are quite a few listings on eBay for them (and
> they don't seem to sell for much).

*** Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner ***

Yep, not a high price. A little over a buck a piece.
Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"none of your business" > wrote
>Kitchen glassware is a wonderful collectible because there is so much
>available--much of it in very good condition, and it's VERY usable.
>They just don't make pieces like this anymore. Glasbake had some
>lovely fired-on colors. I wish it were more readily available.

I like it too. I just bought the neatest old caramel colored custard cups.

Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

On Sep 14, 9:16*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "none of your business" > wrote
>
> >Kitchen glassware is a wonderful collectible because there is so much
> >available--much of it in very good condition, and it's VERY usable.
> >They just don't make pieces like this anymore. Glasbake had some
> >lovely fired-on colors. I wish it were more readily available.

> I like it too. I just bought the neatest old caramel colored custard cups..

Have you seen the Anchor Hocking copper colored pieces? They have
small (4 inch diameter or so) dishes with handles, that are useful as
feeding dishes for cats and small dogs, standard sized casserole
dishes, 8" round cake pans, pie pans, custard dishes, loaf pans, 9"
square bakers, 9x13" bakers.... they came in all sizes. Really
beautiful metallic copper color. There are a bunch on ebay right now.
Overpriced in my opinion.... they are readily available at yard sales
and second hand stores. (gotta find the yard sales given by elderly
grandmas or recently departed spinster aunts. they have the best
kitchen collectibles!).
Posted to alt.cobol,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.marketplace

"none of your business" > wrote in message
On Sep 14, 9:16 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "none of your business" > wrote

>Have you seen the Anchor Hocking copper colored pieces? They have
>small (4 inch diameter or so) dishes with handles, that are useful as
>feeding dishes for cats and small dogs, standard sized casserole
>dishes, 8" round cake pans, pie pans, custard dishes, loaf pans, 9"
>square bakers, 9x13" bakers.... they came in all sizes. Really
>beautiful metallic copper color.

I have not seen them, I'll check them out, thanks!