Old 24-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Dan Abel

Default Zocor - evil, evil, evil

So I go see the doctor. I tell him that my blood sugar is too high and
that maybe I need to get my meds altered. Oh no, We don't up the meds
until everything else is exhausted.

So he goes over the other stuff and it's OK. But then he hits the
cholesterol. Now, it's a little high, but I though it was OK based on
what They wanted a year ago. No, they changed the goals. As a
diabetic, They now want the LDL below 70. Excuse me? At this rate,
it's going to be a goal of "negative" in a few years.

I'm already maxed out on my statin (Lovastatin), so he wants to switch
me, but my HMO won't pay, but We Have No Choice. So he sends in the
prescription for Zocor. I get out my credit card before I pick up the
prescription, because I only have like US$50.00 in my wallet. It's
US$15.00, for a 3 month supply. Their math isn't real good, so that's
100 tablets. That's certainly higher than the usual US$5.00 for a
generic, but not exactly a budget breaker.

I take this stuff, and I just get sicker and sicker. But I'm too dense
to figure out that the reason I'm sick is because I'm taking this stuff.
This morning I finally realize that I just changed meds, and maybe I
should check this out. Bingo! From their web site:

upset stomach, gas, heartburn, stomach pain/cramps, loss of appetite,
nausea

As I'm composing an Email to my doctor, I went to check my medical
binder, and lo and behold, I had filed the papers from the pharmacy
there! First side effect: stomach upset!

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Old 24-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Nancy Young

"Dan Abel" wrote

As I'm composing an Email to my doctor, I went to check my medical
binder, and lo and behold, I had filed the papers from the pharmacy
there! First side effect: stomach upset!

Man, the cure is worse than the ailment, it seems. Think the dr
could have warned you? Maybe the idea is, if you don't eat your
cholesterol might go down.

Sorry you've been feeling ill.

nancy

Old 24-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:06:29 GMT, Dan Abel wrote:

[...]

If you do not like the care your physician is giving you, he does not
listen to your concerns, and you remain his patient, I'd say the
problem is you. Find another doctor.

Diabetics are of particular risk for cardiovascular disease. Statins
are valuable in treating lipid problems.

Boron
Old 24-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Paul M. Cook

"Dan Abel" wrote in message
[...]

I had the same effect with Advicor. Since I am now also type II, early
stage, I have very high trigyclerides. Tested at 1080. Yes, 1080. The
Advicor made me feel like my brain was plugged plus I later developed kidney
pain. So now I'm on a new one starting today. They all have really bad
side effects in some people. I'm wondering if the cure is worse than the
disease.

Paul

Old 24-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Dan Abel

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

Man, the cure is worse than the ailment, it seems.

There's a reason these drugs are only available by prescription and have
a two page flyer that comes with them. They have side effects and such.

Sorry you've been feeling ill.

Thanks. I'm really hoping that once I stop taking this that my stomach
will come back down to earth.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Old 24-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Dan Abel

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

If you do not like the care your physician is giving you, he does not
listen to your concerns, and you remain his patient, I'd say the
problem is you. Find another doctor.

I'm generally pretty happy with him. When you don't feel well,
sometimes you just want to whine.

Diabetics are of particular risk for cardiovascular disease. Statins
are valuable in treating lipid problems.

Yeah. The problem isn't so much with the doctor, it's with getting old.
I don't advise it.

:-)

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Old 24-10-2005, 10:44 PM
notbob

On 2005-10-24, Dan Abel wrote:

a two page flyer that comes with them.

Yeah, and some of those flyers! I got one that had such small print,
a regular hand-held maginfying glass was useless. I had to use a
jewelers loupe, which is just rediculous.

nb
Old 24-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Dean G.

Yeah. The problem isn't so much with the doctor, it's with getting old.
I don't advise it.

Unfortunately, the alternative isn't too atractive either...

Dean G.

Old 24-10-2005, 10:53 PM

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:06:29 GMT, Dan Abel wrote:

So I go see the doctor. I tell him that my blood sugar is too high and
that maybe I need to get my meds altered. Oh no, We don't up the meds
until everything else is exhausted.

I'd love to know what kind of kick-back
doctors get from drug companys.

When I moved to AZ and found a new doctor,
he insisted on tests, then; "Your cholesterol is a little high,
so we'll put you on this "lifetime" drug."

( In some drug company, the BINGO-JACKPOT alarm goes off again. )

I respectfully declined. He seemed shocked !

I'd love to see how they arrive at the out-of-range numbers.
Then, I want to see the stats of
exactly how much heart disease the drug actually prevented.

I feel the cholesterol pill is like
the morning vitamin, and the morning prayer.
You never really know if it works.
( sceptical of all things medical since the drug advertising blitz )

.....and...should I ask my doctor if Lumitra is "right for me" ???

rj
Old 24-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Goomba38

RJ wrote:

I'd love to see how they arrive at the out-of-range numbers.
Then, I want to see the stats of
exactly how much heart disease the drug actually prevented.

I feel the cholesterol pill is like
the morning vitamin, and the morning prayer.
You never really know if it works.
( sceptical of all things medical since the drug advertising blitz )

....and...should I ask my doctor if Lumitra is "right for me" ???

rj

Actually, those statins have been pretty well proven. It is one drug
that some people shouldn't do without.
Goomba

Old 24-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Dan Abel

In article [email protected],
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I had the same effect with Advicor. Since I am now also type II, early
stage, I have very high trigyclerides. Tested at 1080. Yes, 1080. The

I've been on this stuff for so long I don't even remember how long.
Tris last time before this (can't find the last one) were 138.

I've had dosage increases, and maybe I'm not on exactly the same stuff I
started with. It's just the latest that is causing stomach problems.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Old 24-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Dan Abel

In article ,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote:

Dan, I take Zocor every night at bedtime. I have never had a problem with
it except the first couple of days I took it. I had muscle cramps but they

Now that you mention it, I've been having muscle cramps also.

:-)

Are you on 80mg?

went away. So far, so good with me. BTW, my copay for Zocor is $50 US for
30 pills vs the $10 if I could find a generic.

My doctor claimed that it was going generic soon.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Old 24-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Dan Abel

In article ,
"RJ" wrote:

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:06:29 GMT, Dan Abel wrote:

So I go see the doctor. I tell him that my blood sugar is too high and
that maybe I need to get my meds altered. Oh no, We don't up the meds
until everything else is exhausted.

I'd love to know what kind of kick-back
doctors get from drug companys.

Something tells me that he wasn't getting much of a kickback to tell me
that he wouldn't give me more drugs.

:-)

I feel the cholesterol pill is like
the morning vitamin, and the morning prayer.
You never really know if it works.

Certainly. You don't know if it works, but the statistics say that it
helps.

I am increasingly unhappy with "pay for service" medicine. The more
service, the more pay. I belong to an HMO, and the doctors are on
straight salary.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Old 24-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:26:48 GMT, Dan Abel wrote:

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

If you do not like the care your physician is giving you, he does not
listen to your concerns, and you remain his patient, I'd say the
problem is you. Find another doctor.

I'm generally pretty happy with him. When you don't feel well,
sometimes you just want to whine.

Well understood, then,

Diabetics are of particular risk for cardiovascular disease. Statins
are valuable in treating lipid problems.

Yeah. The problem isn't so much with the doctor, it's with getting old.
I don't advise it.

:-)

Think of the alternatives!

I wander the earth courtesy of the miracles of modern medicine and
believe me, I am no spring chicken!

Do keep at your MD about the BG readings, though. If your readings are
so off that you are not feeling well, he really needs to help you
tweak your meds. Some docs are more laissez faire than others. I am
fortunate in having one who lets me treat my T2 almost like a T1...I
have 5 meds to choose from and I dose depending on how my readings
are. There are not too many MDS that will play that game, but since my
Hba1C is usually 5.6 or so, she knows it works for me. That is
key...finding what works for you.

Best of luck.

Boron

Old 24-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Michel Boucher

Dan Abel wrote in
:

I take this stuff, and I just get sicker and sicker.

Strange, I was on Zocor for three months after the cardiac event and I
had no side effects. However, the GP assigned to follow my case for
the first six months switched me to Crestor which is giving me better
results. My cholesterol has been well below the line since then.

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot

Are vegans evil? Beefeater General Cooking 8 20-02-2007 11:32 PM
Vegetarians are evil! Barbecue General Cooking 47 26-01-2007 06:20 PM
The Evil Cantaloupe General Cooking 46 05-07-2006 11:56 PM
See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Test No Evil Mark Thorson General Cooking 2 10-05-2006 05:49 AM