Dan Abel

Default Zocor - evil, evil, evil

So I go see the doctor. I tell him that my blood sugar is too high and
that maybe I need to get my meds altered. Oh no, We don't up the meds
until everything else is exhausted.

So he goes over the other stuff and it's OK. But then he hits the
cholesterol. Now, it's a little high, but I though it was OK based on
what They wanted a year ago. No, they changed the goals. As a
diabetic, They now want the LDL below 70. Excuse me? At this rate,
it's going to be a goal of "negative" in a few years.

I'm already maxed out on my statin (Lovastatin), so he wants to switch
me, but my HMO won't pay, but We Have No Choice. So he sends in the
prescription for Zocor. I get out my credit card before I pick up the
prescription, because I only have like US$50.00 in my wallet. It's
US$15.00, for a 3 month supply. Their math isn't real good, so that's
100 tablets. That's certainly higher than the usual US$5.00 for a
generic, but not exactly a budget breaker.

I take this stuff, and I just get sicker and sicker. But I'm too dense
to figure out that the reason I'm sick is because I'm taking this stuff.
This morning I finally realize that I just changed meds, and maybe I
should check this out. Bingo! From their web site:

upset stomach, gas, heartburn, stomach pain/cramps, loss of appetite,
nausea

As I'm composing an Email to my doctor, I went to check my medical
binder, and lo and behold, I had filed the papers from the pharmacy
there! First side effect: stomach upset!

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA