Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegetarians are evil!

My vegan neighbor was complaining about the smoke from my grill - so I
sent him a link to this site:

http://www.VegetariansAreEvil.com and now he doesn't talk to me!

Have any of you had to deal with these vegan types lately? This guy was
too much, telling me "Meat is Murder" and some nonsense about "The
Holocaust on Your Plate".

Unreal.

I knew that Hitler and Pol Pot were vegetarians, so went out on the web
and found out that a lot of these vegan types are militants - heck,
even Charles Manson was a vegan for chrissakes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barbecue said...

> My vegan neighbor was complaining about the smoke from my grill - so I
> sent him a link to this site:

Oh really? You were kind enough while grilling to engage him to the point
where he gave you his email address??? Then relate your problems to
r.f.c???

OR did you just stuff your tripe into his mailbox after dark???

Either way, you're full of shit!

AND you're a BUM!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barbecue wrote:

> Have any of you had to deal with these vegan types lately? This guy
> was too much, telling me "Meat is Murder" and some nonsense about "The
> Holocaust on Your Plate".

I stand by the words of a famous writer from Pisa, whose vegan friends drove
him crazy enough to write this post on his metropolitan NG.

TU NON VUOI VEDERE IL SALAME?
TE NE STAI A CASA, VIVADDIO!!!
STAI A CASA E NON ROMPERE I COGLIONI, MERDA UMANA!
VENGO FORSE A CASA TUA A RIMPINZARTI DI CICCIOLI?
NO?
E ALLORA MUTO!
SE STAI CON ALTRI TE NE STAI MUTO E SE APRI BOCCA TI SPOGLIO DI MAZZATE,
MERDA DI UNA MERDA!!!
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Not evil, they are just aesthetically stunted anti-hedonists.

My son had a vegan GF who brought a vegan pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.
It was a bit odd. My wife asked her how she bound the filling since she
doesn't use eggs.

The answer:

Grind up flaxseed in warm water in a blendor. Add to filling.

That sounds worse than soaked chia on a spoon (a late 1960s flower
chile treat). Oh the mucilaginity! Akk! Akk!

T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
says...
> My vegan neighbor was complaining about the smoke from my grill - so I
> sent him a link to this site:

http://www.VegetariansAreEvil.com and now he doesn't talk to me!

> Have any of you had to deal with these vegan types lately? This guy was
> too much, telling me "Meat is Murder" and some nonsense about "The
> Holocaust on Your Plate".

Well, that site is absolutely moronic, full of lies and distortions. No
wonder he won't talk to you, he must figure you are a real loony-tunes.

Sure there are some militant vegetarians and vegans, but they are a
small minority. I know many vegetarians and none of them tell anyone
else what they should or should not eat.

I have met plenty of meat eaters who are slack-jawed morons. Should I
then conclude that all meat eaters are the same?

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...
> > My vegan neighbor was complaining about the smoke from my grill - so I
> > sent him a link to this site:

http://www.VegetariansAreEvil.com and now he doesn't talk to me!

> > Have any of you had to deal with these vegan types lately? This guy was
> > too much, telling me "Meat is Murder" and some nonsense about "The
> > Holocaust on Your Plate".
> >

> Well, that site is absolutely moronic, full of lies and distortions. No
> wonder he won't talk to you, he must figure you are a real loony-tunes.
>
> Sure there are some militant vegetarians and vegans, but they are a
> small minority. I know many vegetarians and none of them tell anyone
> else what they should or should not eat.
>
> I have met plenty of meat eaters who are slack-jawed morons. Should I
> then conclude that all meat eaters are the same?

Well said Peter. It has been my experience as a vegan (at one time)
and as a vegetarian for most of my life, that many non-vegetarians seem
to be threatened by the way that I eat. I do not preach, tell others
how to eat nor even suggest that they eat like I eat. Not so much
today, but when I was younger, I found myself defending my choice.

I've run into countless problems with my mother in law (who I no longer
talk to) who spent a good deal of her time telling me how poorly I ate.
She did not like her grandchild being raised on a vegan diet. She
could not keep her mouth shut and any opportunity she could find; she'd
make a disparaging remark (well, true, it was about anything, not just
my diet :-)

My point? There are assholes everywhere, some eat meat and some don't.

For the OP; I don't know the whole scenario with your neighbor....but
perhaps you can try to understand it if perhaps your neighbor smoked
cigarettes. And he smoked them outdoors only and the smoke wafted up
into your living room or kitchen or bedroom. The smell (certainly to
me!) is quite offensive and makes me annoyed. Your veggie neighbor
might feel the same. Maybe the smell nauseates him; who knows. I
would never (as a veggie) ask my neighbors not to barbeque....nor do I
ask a neighbor a few doors down not to smoke (it comes into our house
from time to time).

Smells are a funny thing for some of us and some of us are VERY
sensitive. Maybe you can try and understand that. Have any of you
ever been sitting in a restaurant and in walks a woman (or man) with
enough perfume on to choke you? It literally ruins the taste of food.
My husband won't even smell it! We also live uphill from a farm below.
Can I tell you how much I detest the smell of the cow crap that blows
up toward our development? It makes me nauseated (and yes, I have a
VERY sensitive stomach) and a very sensitive sense of smell too.

I don't think that this really is an issue of veggies or carnivores or
omnivores being jerks. It's people being jerks. There's no reason for
rudeness no matter what you eat. And by the way...we have young
yuppies who live next door, who bought their house a few years after we
lived in ours. My husband, a great gardener, put kiwi vines on our
fenceand we have lattices with honeysuckle and other various beautiful
flowers. We also have tons of fruits and veggies which we freely share
with our neighbors and have told both neighbors with joint fences that
they are free to take whatever they want. We've also offered to come
and trim if they'd like, if it gets to be too much.

All of our neighbors have appreciated our foliage and food except for
these latest snotty little 20 somethings. They reported us to the
homeowners association twice for foliage growing on their side of the
fence. Despite my husband's offers to come and trim. We gave up
trying to be nice, offering fruits, etc. She screamed at me a few
summers ago about they should not have to trim our stuff. I reminded
her that we've offered to come and trim it. NO she screamed...it just
should not be there.

That damn nature! It just grows and grows and grows! She told my
husband that our hill is "distracting". We have fruit trees and all
kinds of flowering plants that are not placed in neat rows. Their hill
has 6 trees, 3 in a row and the rest is bark, which they diligently
replace every 6 months.

You know, life is too friggin short to get worked up over such idiotic
matters. Maybe she's reading this. If so....Stephanie, you really are
a stupid asshole. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Smells are a funny thing for some of us and some of us are VERY
> sensitive.

Sven moves to a new town in Minnesota. On his first Friday in the new house,
he resumes one of his old traditions: slowly barbecuing venison, which fills
the

surrounding properties with delicious scents. His neighbors are Catholic,
and can't eat meat on Friday's Sven's a Lutheran. The scent drives his
neighbors

nuts.

After a month of this torture, the neighbors decide maybe they can get him
to convert to Catholicism. They invite Sven to a church social. When the
neighbors

see how well he's getting along with people, they broach the conversion
idea. Sven figures "Why not? Nice people, good cake...". Next Sunday, the
deed is

done. The priest finishes the ceremony with "You were born a Lutheran, you
were raised a Lutheran, but today, you are a Catholic". More coffee & cake,
and

the neighbors seem relieved. They remind Sven that he can't have meat on
Fridays. Fish is OK.

Next Friday, the neighbors notice the scent of venison on the grill again.
They go over to the Sven's fence and hear him talking to the food on the
grill:

"You were born a whitetail, you were raised a whitetail, but today, you are
a walleye!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen wrote:

> Well said Peter. It has been my experience as a vegan (at one time)
> and as a vegetarian for most of my life, that many non-vegetarians seem
> to be threatened by the way that I eat. I do not preach, tell others
> how to eat nor even suggest that they eat like I eat. Not so much
> today, but when I was younger, I found myself defending my choice.

I don't care what you eat. Just don't tell me what to eat. And if you come
to my house planning to get something to eat you had better bring your own
food. I do not cater to vegetarians. I may have something you can eat. I
always serve vegetables, but if my wife cooks them she is pretty well
guaranteed to slather them with butter, her favourite health food.

As if it is not enough that vegetarians, especially vegans, spend so much
effort on broadcasting their perverse diets, they rarely stick to it for
any amount of time. Sure, there is the odd one that has stuck to it for
years, but must of them only do it for a few years before getting back to
eating the type of food we were meant to eat.

One of my nieces is a prime example, shows up for Christmas dinner
unexpected after she and her father forgot to pack her vegan food, disrupts
last minute preparations of a meal for 15 people while she pores over the
ingredients of everything in the house, ends up having a salad with my
wife's home made dressing and carrot sticks. The next time I see her is at
a buffet where she sat across the table from me. I can't quite describe my
feelings about someone who, when eating at my place, can't touch anything
that has shared shelf space with something that contains animal flesh or
by-products, but when at a buffet where someone else has done the cooking
can eat bacon, sausage, chicken, roast beef, lobster.........
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> One of my nieces is a prime example, shows up for Christmas dinner
> unexpected after she and her father forgot to pack her vegan food, disrupts
> last minute preparations of a meal for 15 people while she pores over the
> ingredients of everything in the house, ends up having a salad with my
> wife's home made dressing and carrot sticks. The next time I see her is at
> a buffet where she sat across the table from me. I can't quite describe my
> feelings about someone who, when eating at my place, can't touch anything
> that has shared shelf space with something that contains animal flesh or
> by-products, but when at a buffet where someone else has done the cooking
> can eat bacon, sausage, chicken, roast beef, lobster.........

Did you call her on it? I would have found it impossible NOT to say
something like "When did you give up vegetarianism?"

I am sympathetic to vegetarians, not to hypocrites.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> Did you call her on it? I would have found it impossible NOT to say
> something like "When did you give up vegetarianism?"

Call her on it or confronted her?

"Mmmmmmm isn't that good beef...." :-)

Sorry, but when it comes to 16 year old girls I just have to zip my lip. A
word said in jest is interpreted as abuse.

> I am sympathetic to vegetarians, not to hypocrites.

The thing is that every vegetarian I have ever known now eats meat. That
is why I don't cater to them. If they want to indulge in a fad diet that is
their problem. They can bring their own food or take their chances with
mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> The thing is that every vegetarian I have ever known now eats meat.
> That is why I don't cater to them. If they want to indulge in a fad
> diet that is their problem. They can bring their own food or take
> their chances with mine.

Your choice is your choice. Mine is to be as accomodating a host as is
practical. I try to make sure there's a reasonable selection of
vegetarian foods when there will be such guests. One friend of the
family has followed that for at least five years. I make some
vegetarian dressing at Thanksgiving for her, for instance, it's not a
big deal.

I cook for my guests, not for me. If someone is an unacceptable guest,
they shouldn't be invited in the first place. If they are invited, then
reasonable provisions should be prepared for them.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Puester wrote:
>>

>> Did you call her on it? I would have found it impossible NOT to say
>> something like "When did you give up vegetarianism?"
>>

> Call her on it or confronted her?
>
> "Mmmmmmm isn't that good beef...." :-)
>
> Sorry, but when it comes to 16 year old girls I just have to zip my lip.
> word said in jest is interpreted as abuse.
>

>> I am sympathetic to vegetarians, not to hypocrites.

> The thing is that every vegetarian I have ever known now eats meat. That
> is why I don't cater to them. If they want to indulge in a fad diet that
> is
> their problem. They can bring their own food or take their chances with
> mine.

Some vegetarians originally quit meat because ***SOME*** cattle grazing land
required the destruction of rain forests, etc. This is a valid concern.
However, I don't think changing your diet is as effective in stopping forest
destruction as focusing your efforts on the companies which buy the most
beef, like McDonald's. At least boycott those companies, and you've probably
done as much as you can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:

> Your choice is your choice. Mine is to be as accomodating a host as is
> practical. I try to make sure there's a reasonable selection of
> vegetarian foods when there will be such guests. One friend of the
> family has followed that for at least five years. I make some
> vegetarian dressing at Thanksgiving for her, for instance, it's not a
> big deal.

In this case, I didn't know the niece had suddenly become a vegan. She
lives 1500 miles away. I didn't know she was coming. I didn't know she was
in town. I should have known that her father could not be be relied on to
remember her vegan food, even if I had known she was coming.

Sure, there is always vegetarian dressing.My wife makes her own using olive
oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire
Sauce and mustard powder. Each of those ingredients had to be analysed.
Pain in the ass. She was a kid of 16 or 17 and they arrived late
(predictably) and my wife had to run around at the last minute when we were
setting out a table of food for 15, the other 14 being gracious enough
guests to eat what was offered.

> I cook for my guests, not for me. If someone is an unacceptable guest,
> they shouldn't be invited in the first place. If they are invited, then
> reasonable provisions should be prepared for them.

In this case, she wasn't. She was welcome. She is my nephew's daughter. I
didn't know she was coming. He, or said he had, some vegan food he meant to
bring but had forgotten it.

I suppose that had I known she was coming I could have tried to cook a
vegan dish. One vegan dish at a buffet for a family of carnivores doesn't
seem like much of an offering. Beside, I had memories of a previous visit
by another niece, the vegan's aunt, and having to get special food to
accommodate her diet, only to find she would end up eating everything in
the house except the food that he had bought and prepared to accommodate
her diet. Never the less, my point was about it being a fad diet. As I
said, we went through all the nonsense of trying to find her something that
did not violate her vegan diet at the last minute while trying to get a
meal for 15 on the table, but the next time I saw the girl she was super
carnivore, trying out every meat, fowl, fish, shellfish and dairy product
at the restaurant buffet, a buffet which, BTW, had a selection of
vegetarian and vegan dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Default User" >
> :
>

>> Your choice is your choice. Mine is to be as accomodating a host as
>> is practical. I try to make sure there's a reasonable selection of
>> vegetarian foods when there will be such guests. One friend of the
>> family has followed that for at least five years. I make some
>> vegetarian dressing at Thanksgiving for her, for instance, it's not a
>> big deal.
>>
>> I cook for my guests, not for me. If someone is an unacceptable
>> guest, they shouldn't be invited in the first place. If they are
>> invited, then reasonable provisions should be prepared for them.

> Brian, I really have to agree with you on this. I want my guests to
> feel comfortable and welcome in my home. Most of them anyway I
> don't mind doing something extra for a guest vegetarian or otherwise.

Dave pointed out, this "guest" was not expected. And she claimed to be
vegan, not vegetarian, which puts so many more restrictions on things. No
fish, no butter, no eggs. Not even Worcestershire sauce (for shame!) which
contains anchovies. And then the next time he saw her she was chowing down
on meat at a buffet. Catering to a 16 year old's flimsy whims isn't
something I'd like to do.

I have a very nice 5-Bean soup recipe which could qualify as vegan if
prepared using vegetable stock or broth, but I much prefer to use beef stock
or broth It just tastes so much better

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > "Default User" >
> > :
> >

> >> Your choice is your choice. Mine is to be as accomodating a host as
> >> is practical. I try to make sure there's a reasonable selection of
> >> vegetarian foods when there will be such guests. One friend of the
> >> family has followed that for at least five years. I make some
> >> vegetarian dressing at Thanksgiving for her, for instance, it's not a
> >> big deal.
> >>
> >> I cook for my guests, not for me. If someone is an unacceptable
> >> guest, they shouldn't be invited in the first place. If they are
> >> invited, then reasonable provisions should be prepared for them.

> > Brian, I really have to agree with you on this. I want my guests to
> > feel comfortable and welcome in my home. Most of them anyway I
> > don't mind doing something extra for a guest vegetarian or otherwise.

> Dave pointed out, this "guest" was not expected. And she claimed to be
> vegan, not vegetarian, which puts so many more restrictions on things. No
> fish, no butter, no eggs. Not even Worcestershire sauce (for shame!)

which
> contains anchovies. And then the next time he saw her she was chowing

down
> on meat at a buffet. Catering to a 16 year old's flimsy whims isn't
> something I'd like to do.
>
> I have a very nice 5-Bean soup recipe which could qualify as vegan if
> prepared using vegetable stock or broth, but I much prefer to use beef

stock
> or broth It just tastes so much better

Agreed :-)

This thread has got me to thinking about the vegetarians/vegans I know...:

- A co - worker who is one of those PETA - type activists. he's always
trying to "convert" people to the vegan cause, making snide remarks about
what people eat, etc. Guy is 35 and looks like 55 - a very OLD 55. Is
obese, bad skin, hair, teeth, always tired, always sick...yeah, we all want
to be like that.

- A middle - aged ******* couple. Both chain smokers and alcoholics, they
look okay but diet - wise they are a mess. Lotsa cheap greezy Mexi takeout,
their fridge is full of French bread pizzas, tater tots, processed junk;
reminds me of a college guy's fridge. The one who is the worst drinker was
joking about "gin smoothies"...not sure at this stage if she was really
joking or not. Not many fresh veg or fruits to be found. They are both
"women of a certain age" who need the correct nutrients at this particular
time of their lives. Brought up the subject of balancing amino acids one
time and they are like, "What's that? We take plenty of supplements...".
One has a readily apparent thryroid condition (the buggy eyes...), but won't
be nutritionally pro - active about the sitch. Not good adverts for the
vegan way 'o life...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> tofuqueen wrote:
> >

> > Well said Peter. It has been my experience as a vegan (at one time)
> > and as a vegetarian for most of my life, that many non-vegetarians seem
> > to be threatened by the way that I eat. I do not preach, tell others
> > how to eat nor even suggest that they eat like I eat. Not so much
> > today, but when I was younger, I found myself defending my choice.

> I don't care what you eat. Just don't tell me what to eat.

Isn't that what she just posted?

> As if it is not enough that vegetarians, especially vegans, spend so much
> effort on broadcasting their perverse diets, they rarely stick to it for
> any amount of time. Sure, there is the odd one that has stuck to it for
> years, but must of them only do it for a few years before getting back to
> eating the type of food we were meant to eat.

If that isn't preaching, I don't know what is. Why do you think you
know "the type of food we were meant to eat"? My daughter was a
vegetarian for 8 years, my sister for 13. It feels odd to see them
eating meat now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've only known a few vegans in my life, but it was striking how prone
they all were to all sorts of bizarre superstitions. Whether the
veganism was the cause or effect of that tendency I was never able to
find out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

Catering to a 16 year old's flimsy whims isn't
> something I'd like to do.

There's catering, and there's accepting. They aren't the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kyle" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've only known a few vegans in my life, but it was striking how prone
> they all were to all sorts of bizarre superstitions. Whether the
> veganism was the cause or effect of that tendency I was never able to
> find out.

Vegans are brain damaged. The body needs certain nutrients that you can't
get from vitamins. Ever notice Vegans are usually fat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> In this case, I didn't know the niece had suddenly become a vegan. She
> lives 1500 miles away. I didn't know she was coming. I didn't know she was
> in town. I should have known that her father could not be be relied on to
> remember her vegan food, even if I had known she was coming.

PITA and not fair to you. When people have special dietary needs, they
need to be communicated ahead of time.

> Sure, there is always vegetarian dressing.My wife makes her own using olive
> oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire
> Sauce

Has anchovies in it.

> didn't know she was coming. He, or said he had, some vegan food he meant to
> bring but had forgotten it.

Then she can starve. People can go without food for a long time. Or
you could give her some crackers if you had some that were vegan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barbecue wrote:
> My vegan neighbor was complaining about the smoke from my grill - so I
> sent him a link to this site:
>
> http://www.VegetariansAreEvil.com and now he doesn't talk to me!
>
> Have any of you had to deal with these vegan types lately? This guy was
> too much, telling me "Meat is Murder" and some nonsense about "The
> Holocaust on Your Plate".
>
> Unreal.
>
> I knew that Hitler and Pol Pot were vegetarians, so went out on the web
> and found out that a lot of these vegan types are militants - heck,
> even Charles Manson was a vegan for chrissakes!

I don't believe it's healthy. If vegetarians don't want to eat higher
animals, well, that's fine, but they should at least eat bugs and grubs
and such. For their own good, you know.

Here's a copy of something I posted a few years ago to
alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian :

You've heard of omnivorous
You've heard of vegetarianism
You've heard of vegan
You've heard of fruitarian
But now, straight from the twisted brain of yours truly, here comes
Amputarianism. Amputarianism fits in between omnivorousness and
vegetarianism.
You can eat meat, but only if the animal is not killed to produce the
meat. You are allowed to eat animals that have died of natural
causes, but also parts of animals that have been removed from the
animal in such a way that it does not cause the death of the animal.
Example: Chicken wings. Chickens really have no use for wings, since
they don't fly anyway. An amputarian can enjoy the delicious flavor
of Buffalo-style wings, guilt-free. Egg laying chickens don't really
*need* legs either. Heck, they just sit in a cage all day anyway.
Voila! drumsticks!
Chickens are not the only animals that can do fine w/o certain body
parts. Domestic turkeys don't need wings either. Pigs should be able
to get along fine w/ one peg leg. Can you say "HAM"???? The ears on
pigs, cattle, sheep, etc. are completely superfluous in an environment
where there are humans to protect them from predators. Tails too can
be bobbed to make fine soup bones.
Believe it or not, liver tissue grows back if a portion of it is
surgically removed. Mmmmm, liver and onions.
Amputarianism, remember, you heard it here first.

One of the guys on there got really bent out of shape, but another
realized that it was just a joke.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>> "Default User" >
>>> :

>>> Brian, I really have to agree with you on this. I want my guests to
>>> feel comfortable and welcome in my home. Most of them anyway I
>>> don't mind doing something extra for a guest vegetarian or
>>> otherwise.

>> Dave pointed out, this "guest" was not expected. And she claimed to
>> be vegan, not vegetarian, which puts so many more restrictions on
>> things. No fish, no butter, no eggs. Not even Worcestershire sauce
>> (for shame!) which contains anchovies. And then the next time he
>> saw her she was chowing down on meat at a buffet. Catering to a 16
>> year old's flimsy whims isn't something I'd like to do.
>>

> Agreed :-)
>
> This thread has got me to thinking about the vegetarians/vegans I
> know...:
>
> - A co - worker who is one of those PETA - type activists. he's always
> trying to "convert" people to the vegan cause, making snide remarks
> about what people eat, etc. Guy is 35 and looks like 55 - a very OLD
> 55. Is obese, bad skin, hair, teeth, always tired, always
> sick...yeah, we all want to be like that.
>
> - A middle - aged ******* couple. Both chain smokers and alcoholics,
> they look okay but diet - wise they are a mess. Lotsa cheap greezy
> Mexi takeout, their fridge is full of French bread pizzas, tater
> tots, processed junk; reminds me of a college guy's fridge.

Um, are the items listed above vegan/vegetarian? The Mexi takeout
(tortillas, masa dough) may well be made with lard which is a no-no for
vegans.

> Brought up the subject of balancing amino acids one time and they are
> like, "What's that? We take plenty of supplements...". One has a
> readily apparent thryroid condition (the buggy eyes...), but won't be
> nutritionally pro - active about the sitch. Not good adverts for the
> vegan way 'o life...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Dave Smith wrote:
>

> > The thing is that every vegetarian I have ever known now eats meat.
> > That is why I don't cater to them. If they want to indulge in a fad
> > diet that is their problem. They can bring their own food or take
> > their chances with mine.

With all due respect; you must not know too many vegetarians :-) Most
of us who don't eat meat have pretty strong reasons. Mine, honestly,
is that meat seriously disgusts me. The blood factor is where it
starts and the thought of cutting into is too much like cutting into
humans. It's just an ick factor for me. Then I bring in health issues
and I"m comfortable with my choice. However, I'm not one of those who
tell others how to eat nor do I impose my diet onto others when eating
at their homes. In fact, the years that my daughter and I were vegan,
I assumed that we couldn't eat anything and always brought alittle
cooler with our food. No big deal and I hated when the host made a big
deal out of it!

> Your choice is your choice. Mine is to be as accomodating a host as is
> practical. I try to make sure there's a reasonable selection of
> vegetarian foods when there will be such guests. One friend of the
> family has followed that for at least five years. I make some
> vegetarian dressing at Thanksgiving for her, for instance, it's not a
> big deal.

I'm the same. There's a difference between being an omnivore and a
carnivore. The folks that I know who are not vegetarian; most are
omnivores and meat does is not mandatory for every meal, every day!

> I cook for my guests, not for me. If someone is an unacceptable guest,
> they shouldn't be invited in the first place. If they are invited, then
> reasonable provisions should be prepared for them.

I try to accomodate everyone. Whether they're veggies, diabetics,
kosher or whatever! I want people to feel welcome when they eat at my
house! I will typically cook lasagne (vegetarian) but I'll throw in
some tvp to make the sauce taste meaty. I will also cook something
like a vegan manicotti so that others can taste it. Seriously, I've
had times when the manicotti was really for me and my daughter...and
the guests ended up eating more of it than I wished!!! It was fun
though and it's a great way to introduce meat eaters to the world of
vegan foods without preaching.

> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> > > The thing is that every vegetarian I have ever known now eats
> > > meat. That is why I don't cater to them. If they want to indulge
> > > in a fad diet that is their problem. They can bring their own
> > > food or take their chances with mine.

> With all due respect; you must not know too many vegetarians :-)

You understand that I didn't write ANY of the above quoted material. If
you weren't able to respond to Dave's post directly, you should have
noted that fact and remove my attribution line and signature.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Barbecue said...
>
> > My vegan neighbor was complaining about the smoke from my grill - so I
> > sent him a link to this site:

> Oh really? You were kind enough while grilling to engage him to the point
> where he gave you his email address??? Then relate your problems to
> r.f.c???
>
> OR did you just stuff your tripe into his mailbox after dark???
>
> Either way, you're full of shit!
>
> AND you're a BUM!!!
>
> Andy

You see, there is some truth to what they say on that site about how
vegans and vegetarians are prone towards violence, militancy and are
angry all the time. Look at Andy's peripatetic reaction - like a 12
year old girl having a hissy-fit: name calling, profanity...

Not a good example of what a vegan/vegetarian diet does to your mind.
I've always wondered why vegetarians and vegans always seem angry or
irritated all the time. It's the body's natural response to a strong
biological need to prepare for the hunt. Our body produces hormones
that excite and agitate us to motivate us to go out and kill something
in a hunt. Vegetarians try to suppress this, so always have a really
****y attitude - like our buddy Andy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> Dave pointed out, this "guest" was not expected. And she claimed to
> >> be vegan, not vegetarian, which puts so many more restrictions on
> >> things. No fish, no butter, no eggs. Not even Worcestershire sauce
> >> (for shame!) which contains anchovies. And then the next time he
> >> saw her she was chowing down on meat at a buffet. Catering to a 16
> >> year old's flimsy whims isn't something I'd like to do.
> >>

> > Agreed :-)
> >
> > This thread has got me to thinking about the vegetarians/vegans I
> > know...:
> >
> > - A co - worker who is one of those PETA - type activists. he's always
> > trying to "convert" people to the vegan cause, making snide remarks
> > about what people eat, etc. Guy is 35 and looks like 55 - a very OLD
> > 55. Is obese, bad skin, hair, teeth, always tired, always
> > sick...yeah, we all want to be like that.
> >
> > - A middle - aged ******* couple. Both chain smokers and alcoholics,
> > they look okay but diet - wise they are a mess. Lotsa cheap greezy
> > Mexi takeout, their fridge is full of French bread pizzas, tater
> > tots, processed junk; reminds me of a college guy's fridge.

> Um, are the items listed above vegan/vegetarian? The Mexi takeout
> (tortillas, masa dough) may well be made with lard which is a no-no for
> vegans.

Well, *you* know that and *I* know that...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Dave Smith wrote:
>

> > The thing is that every vegetarian I have ever known now eats meat.
> > That is why I don't cater to them. If they want to indulge in a fad
> > diet that is their problem. They can bring their own food or take
> > their chances with mine.

> Your choice is your choice. Mine is to be as accomodating a host as is
> practical. I try to make sure there's a reasonable selection of
> vegetarian foods when there will be such guests. One friend of the
> family has followed that for at least five years. I make some
> vegetarian dressing at Thanksgiving for her, for instance, it's not a
> big deal.
>
> I cook for my guests, not for me. If someone is an unacceptable guest,
> they shouldn't be invited in the first place. If they are invited, then
> reasonable provisions should be prepared for them.
>

> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

If I invite people to dinner, then I definitely try to accomodate
vegetarians, people with severe food allergies, religious issues, etc
etc. It is completely possible to cook a good lacto-ovo meatless dinner
that non-vegetarians can also enjoy. If they eat fish, life becomes
even easier.

If somebody just drops by and expects to get fed, then they have to eat
whatever it is I'm having for dinner. I don't want to make that
person feel unwelcome in my home, but I'm not going to do anything
terribly fancy with dinner to accomodate a finicky eater with no
advance notification, either.

Concerning vegan food that is more elaborate than fruit or vegetables
in their natural state, I've never tried cooking any because I don't
know any vegans except one, and I never had to cook his dinner. He was
the housemate of a friend of mine, and the guy was bone thin and given
to eating little pots of beans, sprouts etc etc. He was welcome to
them, as far as I was concerned as they looked pretty grim and
minimalist. Food should not be grim, and I don't want to FEEL grim
about any meal when I sit down to eat, whether I cooked it or not. It
want food that tastes GOOD.

I got along fine with Peter though, as he never pushed veganism on
anyone else. My brother has been a lacto-ovo fish-eating vegetarian for
many years. He simply has never liked eating meat, even when he was
little. My mom always makes him a vegetarian dish at Thanksgiving and
Christmas etc etc. It's not vegetarianism that I mind. I think there
are a lot of legitimate reasons why people might choose a meatless
diet, and I'm not going to try to talk them into eating meat if it
really goes against their conscience. Properly balanced and getting all
the amino acids and nutrients they need, it may be healthier than a
meatless diet over the long haul. What bothers me is a vegetarian with
an obnoxious, superior attitude, and pushing their dietary choice as
the ONLY legitimate way to eat for a person of conscience. People like
that make me want to order a large, rare T-bone steak. I have no use
for PETA. Their cause may have some merit, but the methods they take in
the pursuit of that goal make them so obnoxious that if they showed up
in my livingroom, I wouldn't be thinking "Oh here's a wonderful person
who really cares about animals!" I'd be thinking "Quit yelling at me
and get the hell out of my home!"

Melissa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Barbecue" > said:
> Andy wrote:
> > Barbecue said...

> > > My vegan neighbor was complaining about the smoke from my grill - so I
> > > sent him a link to this site:

> > Oh really? You were kind enough while grilling to engage him to the point
> > where he gave you his email address??? Then relate your problems to
> > r.f.c???
> >
> > OR did you just stuff your tripe into his mailbox after dark???
> >
> > Either way, you're full of shit!
> >
> > AND you're a BUM!!!

> You see, there is some truth to what they say on that site about how
> vegans and vegetarians are prone towards violence, militancy and are
> angry all the time. Look at Andy's peripatetic reaction - like a 12
> year old girl having a hissy-fit: name calling, profanity...
>
> Not a good example of what a vegan/vegetarian diet does to your mind.
> I've always wondered why vegetarians and vegans always seem angry or
> irritated all the time. It's the body's natural response to a strong
> biological need to prepare for the hunt. Our body produces hormones
> that excite and agitate us to motivate us to go out and kill something
> in a hunt. Vegetarians try to suppress this, so always have a really
> ****y attitude - like our buddy Andy.

Andy's not a vegen, nor even vegetarian. He's a confirmed carnivore.
And he's right, your story sound like malarky...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> "Kyle" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I've only known a few vegans in my life, but it was striking how prone
> > they all were to all sorts of bizarre superstitions. Whether the
> > veganism was the cause or effect of that tendency I was never able to
> > find out.
> >

> Vegans are brain damaged. The body needs certain nutrients that you can't
> get from vitamins. Ever notice Vegans are usually fat?

No. They usually appear thin to me.

You can get all the nutrients you need as a vegan. It ain't easy, but a
little knowledge makes it possible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "Kyle" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I've only known a few vegans in my life, but it was striking how prone
>> they all were to all sorts of bizarre superstitions. Whether the
>> veganism was the cause or effect of that tendency I was never able to
>> find out.
>>

> Vegans are brain damaged. The body needs certain nutrients that you can't
> get from vitamins. Ever notice Vegans are usually fat?

What are the ages of any vegans you have had long term contact with, such as
family members?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:
..

> Here's a copy of something I posted a few years ago to
> alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian :

<snip>

> You can eat meat, but only if the animal is not killed to produce the
> meat. You are allowed to eat animals that have died of natural
> causes, but also parts of animals that have been removed from the
> animal in such a way that it does not cause the death of the animal.
> Example: Chicken wings. Chickens really have no use for wings, since
> they don't fly anyway. An amputarian can enjoy the delicious flavor
> of Buffalo-style wings, guilt-free. Egg laying chickens don't really
> *need* legs either. Heck, they just sit in a cage all day anyway.
> Voila! drumsticks!
> Chickens are not the only animals that can do fine w/o certain body
> parts. Domestic turkeys don't need wings either. Pigs should be able
> to get along fine w/ one peg leg. Can you say "HAM"???? The ears on
> pigs, cattle, sheep, etc. are completely superfluous in an environment
> where there are humans to protect them from predators. Tails too can
> be bobbed to make fine soup bones.
> Believe it or not, liver tissue grows back if a portion of it is
> surgically removed. Mmmmm, liver and onions.
> Amputarianism, remember, you heard it here first.

Reminds me of the joke about the three-legged pig. The punchline is:

"You don't want to eat a pig who is that smart all at once....."

Ted

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> tofuqueen wrote:
>

> > Default User wrote:

> > With all due respect; you must not know too many vegetarians :-)

> You understand that I didn't write ANY of the above quoted material. If
> you weren't able to respond to Dave's post directly, you should have
> noted that fact and remove my attribution line and signature.

But she is a vegetarian, and as the subject indicates, they are evil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2007 10:25:15 -0800, wrote:
>
> > Concerning vegan food that is more elaborate than fruit or vegetables
> >in their natural state, I've never tried cooking any because I don't
> >know any vegans except one, and I never had to cook his dinner.

> You may have cooked vegan food without thinking about it, though.
> Spaghetti with marinara sauce; bean burritos; falafel with hummus and
> pita bread...
>
> (Not arguing with you, just saying that not all vegan food is grim and
> bleak and unfamiliar.)
>
> Serene
> --
> "I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

This is true. =o) I freely admit my experience in that area is
minimal. Considering the large number of vegetarian cook books
available, I'm certain there is a wide variety of vegetarian meals that
look attractive and taste good. I simply mean that Peter's food
choices were severely limited and what he cooked looked distinctly
un-appetizing to my eyes. (I mean, this guy wouldn't even eat honey. It
seems to me that making honey is a pretty strong habit with bees,
whether wild or in hives.) I almost never eat beans though because
they really disagree with me, and I've never liked the texture or the
flavor.

Melissa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kyle" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> I've only known a few vegans in my life, but it was striking how prone
>>> they all were to all sorts of bizarre superstitions. Whether the
>>> veganism was the cause or effect of that tendency I was never able to
>>> find out.
>>>

>> Vegans are brain damaged. The body needs certain nutrients that you can't
>> get from vitamins. Ever notice Vegans are usually fat?
>>

> What are the ages of any vegans you have had long term contact with, such
> as family members?

Why should that matter?