Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default barley substitute?

I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
usually toss in.. What can I sub?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 11:05*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and *am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. *What can I sub?

cook up some small pasta, i.e., mac, noodles, etc. & add just after
cooking to al dente.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

Dehydrated mashed potato flakes. Bread crumbs.

Rice would not thicken nearly so well as barley,
but it would be better than nothing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

Okra would be a good substitute for thickening.
You can boil the okra for a while, then strain it out
and use the infused water to make the rest of the
soup. Add rice if you feel you need some grain
in there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

My first thought was wild rice, but if you don't have barley.... on the
thought level of what does one have usually about the house how about
potato? I've had split pea at a friends house and they had added cubes of
potato. I thought it was very good even though I don't do that myself.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:49:35 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
>> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

>Dehydrated mashed potato flakes. Bread crumbs.
>
>Rice would not thicken nearly so well as barley,
>but it would be better than nothing.

Geeze, right after the split pea/navy bean combo I'm thinking barf
bags... add barley and rice and I'm thinking mortuary embalmerTIAD
Supremo! I think you can patent that concoction as radiator leak
stop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote:

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> > I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> > usually toss in.. What can I sub?

> My first thought was wild rice, but if you don't have barley.... on the
> thought level of what does one have usually about the house how about
> potato? I've had split pea at a friends house and they had added cubes of
> potato. I thought it was very good even though I don't do that myself.

If doing that, I'd grate the potato finely.
That way, they'll disintegrate into the soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 4, 11:05 am, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

My split soup is a fairly thick puree, my navy bean soup is soupy, I
don't know what the idea is behind combining them and I can't think
why I would add barley. Can you describe your desired result a little
more? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

Nothing is like barley but barley.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
>> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

> Okra would be a good substitute for thickening.
> You can boil the okra for a while, then strain it out
> and use the infused water to make the rest of the
> soup. Add rice if you feel you need some grain
> in there.

What you would have is toxic waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

When I think of barley in a legume soup/stew I think
of a German style lentil soup. If it works for lentils
it would definitely work for split peas or beans. Going
with a northern European tradition I think I'd want some
finely diced root veggies to fill the same texture slot.
I like Scotch Broth that's made from lamb, barley and
either rutabagas or turnips so I think finely diced
Swedes would be great. Add them later than you'd add
the barley.

Thinking of alternate grains, the husk on popcorn would
be too tough but some product that has it already removed
might work. Grits would be smaller but have a similar
impact on the final texture of the soup. Or sweet corn
kernels would be about the same size with different
texture.

But there's no need to put grains in a legume soup.
Cook it long enough that the legumes soften. Take some
of them out and mash them or put them through a food
mill to strain out the husks. Put the mash back in as
a thickener. The result will be a richer soup or stew
than the version that uses grain.

My Mom used to cook carrots in her bean soup and put
the carrots through the mill as well. Very nice.
When I've made bean soup I've tried pureeing the
cooked onions and that also contributes nicely to the
texture and flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:25:16 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
>> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

> Nothing is like barley but barley.

it's most certainly true that you can't make whiskey from pasta.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:25:16 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
>>> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

>> Nothing is like barley but barley.

> it's most certainly true that you can't make whiskey from pasta.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Are you sure? It's a grain/carb that should be able to be fermented
into alcohol just like rye, potatoes, corn, etc. I'm not saying it
would be easy, but theoretically it should be possible.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria wrote on Mon, 05 Oct 2009 10:16:30 -0600:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Nothing is like barley but barley.

>> it's most certainly true that you can't make whiskey from
>> pasta.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Are you sure? It's a grain/carb that should be able to be
> fermented into alcohol just like rye, potatoes, corn, etc. I'm not
> saying it would be easy, but theoretically it should
> be possible.

I seem to remember mention of bread being fermented in POW camps and the
Russian Gulags.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

> > it's most certainly true that you can't make whiskey from pasta.

> Are you sure? It's a grain/carb that should be able to be fermented
> into alcohol just like rye, potatoes, corn, etc. I'm not saying it
> would be easy, but theoretically it should be possible.

It's quite easy to make alcohol from wheat. Depending on the price of
wheat vs other grains, alcohol marked as "grain" whiskey can come from
wheat. Unless it's "blended" whiskey (which I tend to not count as
whiskey), alcohol made from wheat generally isn't made into whiskey.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 16:25:16 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
>>> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

>> Nothing is like barley but barley.

> it's most certainly true that you can't make whiskey from pasta.

Dood, everybody busted you on that one. I think we should send a good bottle
to everyone who knew that you could make whiskey from pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

What do you have on hand? I'd use rice.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> it's most certainly true that you can't make whiskey from pasta.

> Are you sure? It's a grain/carb that should be able to be fermented
> into alcohol just like rye, potatoes, corn, etc. I'm not saying it
> would be easy, but theoretically it should be possible.

You would get something other than whiskey. You
would probably want to filter it to something more
like vodka.

Whiskeys are made from barley (Scotch and Irish),
rye (one American style), corn (another American
style), mixtures of the three (Bourbon and
Canadian blends). Using other ingredients will
push the final distillate away from what most folks
mean by whiskey.

If the result were good you'd see it in stores.
Wheat is fermented and distilled then filtered into
vodka. That suggests that using the mash liquid as
a flavoring is probably nasty. Rice is fermented
into sake and wine plus I think some vodkas are made
from it. That also suggests that using the mash
liquid as a flavoring is probably nasty.

Barley makes good whiskey and good beer. Rye makes
good whiskey and nasty beer. In both cases adjust
for personal tastes. Wheat makes good beer but I've
never seen wheat whiskey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I'm making a split pea/navy bean soup and am out of barley which I
> usually toss in.. What can I sub?

Small pasta or <gasp> rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 14:19:47 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> Nothing is like barley but barley.

>> it's most certainly true that you can't make whiskey from pasta.
>>

> Dood, everybody busted you on that one. I think we should send a good bottle
> to everyone who knew that you could make whiskey from pasta.

it's most certainly true that you can't make *good* whiskey from pasta.

your pal,
blake

Barley jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 11 31-12-2015 12:05 PM
Barley djs0302 General Cooking 8 27-02-2006 09:34 PM
BARLEY Nix General Cooking 4 17-02-2006 04:03 AM
Barley not Rye Kathy Hawthorne Sourdough 1 15-08-2005 02:11 AM
barley tea Peter Tea 6 19-03-2004 04:29 PM