aem

Teri wrote:
> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
> thanks!
> Teri

Whaddayagot? Butter, margarine, lard, Crisco, bacon grease will all
work. If all you have is liquid oil you may have to lessen the
quantity to retain texture. And you wouldn't want to use olive oil,
I'd think, because of the taste.

Better yet, make the recipe I posted years ago for cornbread. It was
from Sunset magazine, included yogurt and egg but no shortening, was
baked in a cast iron skillet. Its real claim to fame is that produces
a firm kind of cornbread, not the cake type, so it holds together
nicely rather than crumbling -- perfect for chili. I suspect if you
Google for +cornbread+yogurt you'll find it. --aem