Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for ham sausage

Hi all:

I used to make a dish that used ham sausage. I haven't made it in a
while, and was disappointed to find out that none of my local grocery
stores carry ham sausage any longer. I looked online, and all I could
find was Smithfield ham sausage that has Paula Dean's name on it and
is quite expensive. Other than that, I haven't been able to find it
anywhere. What would be a good substitute?

Thanks in advance,
John.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

the_tool_man wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I used to make a dish that used ham sausage. I haven't made it in a
> while, and was disappointed to find out that none of my local grocery
> stores carry ham sausage any longer. I looked online, and all I could
> find was Smithfield ham sausage that has Paula Dean's name on it and
> is quite expensive. Other than that, I haven't been able to find it
> anywhere. What would be a good substitute?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John.

Ground ham and seasonings?
I love ground ham sauteed with onions in butter and use it in a pastry
dough.
What is your recipe for? If you shared it we might have a better idea of
a good sub.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 10:48*pm, Goomba38 > wrote:

> Ground ham and seasonings?
> I love ground ham sauteed with onions in butter and use it in a pastry
> dough.
> What is your recipe for? If you shared it we might have a better idea of
> a good sub.

I can't put my hands on the exact recipe at the moment, but it was
basically a combination of ham sausage, kidney beans and corn, cooked
in a crock pot for a few hours and served over rice. It was called
Rapido in the cook book I got it from.

Regards,
John.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

the_tool_man <the_tool_man >> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I used to make a dish that used ham sausage. I haven't made it in a
> while, and was disappointed to find out that none of my local grocery
> stores carry ham sausage any longer. I looked online, and all I could
> find was Smithfield ham sausage that has Paula Dean's name on it and
> is quite expensive. Other than that, I haven't been able to find it
> anywhere. What would be a good substitute?

The Smithfield ham sausage is pretty good. I haven't seen it in a
while so I bought 2 1-lb rolls of Hillshire Farms (?) for $1.00/ea a
couple weeks ago. A little fattier than the Smithfield stuff, but
still pretty damn good.

I wouldn't worry about Paula, except that the price must have
gone up. It could have been Sandra Lee.

For a substitute, just grind up some 'Bacon Ends and Pieces' ($4 for
3lbs) and mix it with ground pork.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:44:40 -0700 (PDT), the_tool_man
> wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>I used to make a dish that used ham sausage. I haven't made it in a
>while, and was disappointed to find out that none of my local grocery
>stores carry ham sausage any longer. I looked online, and all I could
>find was Smithfield ham sausage that has Paula Dean's name on it and
>is quite expensive. Other than that, I haven't been able to find it
>anywhere. What would be a good substitute?

Sorry, but IMO ham sausage doesn't sound very good - even if it's
Smithfield. What's the recipe do you used it in?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
the_tool_man > wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I used to make a dish that used ham sausage. I haven't made it in a
> while, and was disappointed to find out that none of my local grocery
> stores carry ham sausage any longer. I looked online, and all I could
> find was Smithfield ham sausage that has Paula Dean's name on it and
> is quite expensive. Other than that, I haven't been able to find it
> anywhere. What would be a good substitute?

Hard to tell without seeing the recipe, but what about regular pork
sausage?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 6:44*pm, the_tool_man > wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I used to make a dish that used ham sausage. *I haven't made it in a
> while, and was disappointed to find out that none of my local grocery
> stores carry ham sausage any longer. *I looked online, and all I could
> find was Smithfield ham sausage that has Paula Dean's name on it and
> is quite expensive. *Other than that, I haven't been able to find it
> anywhere. *What would be a good substitute?

These days, there are hundreds of artisan sausages available both in-
store and mail-order, most - infinitely better than the old
"ham" (actually, mostly starch) supermarket sausages. Aidelle's quite
decent. I would also recommend almost any authentic recent immigrant
German, Russian or Polish sausage factories, even Saag's is not too
bad. Which state do you live in?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 6:30*am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *the_tool_man > wrote:
> > Hi all:

> > I used to make a dish that used ham sausage. *I haven't made it in a
> > while, and was disappointed to find out that none of my local grocery
> > stores carry ham sausage any longer. *I looked online, and all I could
> > find was Smithfield ham sausage that has Paula Dean's name on it and
> > is quite expensive. *Other than that, I haven't been able to find it
> > anywhere. *What would be a good substitute?

> Hard to tell without seeing the recipe, but what about regular pork
> sausage?

I used pork sausage by mistake one time. It was far too spicy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

the_tool_man wrote:
> On Mar 19, 6:30 am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
>
>>In article
>,
>>
>> the_tool_man > wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all:

>>>I used to make a dish that used ham sausage. I haven't made it in a
>>>while, and was disappointed to find out that none of my local grocery
>>>stores carry ham sausage any longer. I looked online, and all I could
>>>find was Smithfield ham sausage that has Paula Dean's name on it and
>>>is quite expensive. Other than that, I haven't been able to find it
>>>anywhere. What would be a good substitute?

>>Hard to tell without seeing the recipe, but what about regular pork
>>sausage?

> I used pork sausage by mistake one time. It was far too spicy.

Plain ground pork, maybe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen > wrote in news:EhuFj.3$eU4.2
@newsfe05.lga:

> the_tool_man wrote:
>> On Mar 19, 6:30 am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
>>
>>>In article
>,

could

>>>Hard to tell without seeing the recipe, but what about regular pork
>>>sausage?

>> I used pork sausage by mistake one time. It was far too spicy.

> Plain ground pork, maybe.

More like blached bacon would work better. Ham is smoked & cured, bacon
is smoked & cured. The blanching would reduce the saltiness of the bacon.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.