OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Wheat/flour free corn bread?

Is there such a thing?
Is it possible to make cornbread with just cornmeal and no other grain?
--
Om.

The Cook

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:45:50 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Is there such a thing?
>Is it possible to make cornbread with just cornmeal and no other grain?

Absolutely. Off the top of my head

2 cups cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda.

450° F oven.
9" square pan about 20 to 25 minutes.
--
Susan N.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:45:50 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Is there such a thing?
> >Is it possible to make cornbread with just cornmeal and no other grain?

> Absolutely. Off the top of my head
>
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon baking soda.
>
> 450° F oven.
> 9" square pan about 20 to 25 minutes.

Groovy! Thanks! :-)
The older I get, the more badly I react to wheat!
Plus, ground up baby corn can be substituted for corn
meal to drastically reduce the carbs.

I've been just dying for some corn bread to go with
the low carb black soy beans I make!

This might work for Kili too since she caters to her
hubby's low carbing!

Read a can of baby corn sometime. The nutritional
breakdown reads similar to spinach. Very low in
starch/sugar, very high in fiber.

I'll give this a shot, thank you SO much!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Doug Freyburger

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Is there such a thing?

I occasionally find all-rye rye bread in stores, and I
regularly find all-corn tortillas in stores. So there
should be such a thing. I've had an occasional bite
of cormbread that didn't give me the usual indigestion
that anything with wheat in it does, but not often
enough that I remember where.

> Is it possible to make cornbread with just cornmeal and no other grain?

The gluten from the wheat is used to feed the yeast
to raise the dough, so you'd need some other method of
making it puffy. Sodium carbonate based baking soda.
Fizz the dough up and use really finely ground cornmeal.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"Doug Freyburger" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > Is there such a thing?

> I occasionally find all-rye rye bread in stores, and I
> regularly find all-corn tortillas in stores. So there
> should be such a thing. I've had an occasional bite
> of cormbread that didn't give me the usual indigestion
> that anything with wheat in it does, but not often
> enough that I remember where.
>
> > Is it possible to make cornbread with just cornmeal and no other grain?

> The gluten from the wheat is used to feed the yeast
> to raise the dough, so you'd need some other method of
> making it puffy. Sodium carbonate based baking soda.
> Fizz the dough up and use really finely ground cornmeal.

The Atkins bake mixes use plain soda water to "raise" the dough in both
the bread and the pancake recipes.

I'll be playing with this stuff for sure. ;-)

I'm not opposed tho' to a "dense" cornbread.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Autumn

I am allergic to wheat. A lady working in the health food store told me to
take my favorite corn bread recipe, replace the flour with almond meal (from
Bob's Red Mill in the grocery or health food store). She said it is
wonderful. I have not tried it yet, but have the ingredients. I would look
for a recipe with very little flour, and replace that.

Jann

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Is there such a thing?
> Is it possible to make cornbread with just cornmeal and no other grain?
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
> Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Autumn" > wrote:

> I am allergic to wheat. A lady working in the health food store told me to
> take my favorite corn bread recipe, replace the flour with almond meal (from
> Bob's Red Mill in the grocery or health food store). She said it is
> wonderful. I have not tried it yet, but have the ingredients. I would look
> for a recipe with very little flour, and replace that.
>
> Jann

Thanks for the suggestion! :-)
--
Om.

LindyB

Are you trying to avoid gluten, or just wheat? I make a cornbread with
cornmeal, rice flour, garbonzo flour, and xanthum gum. All gluten
free. It is definately heavy, but still tasty. I suppose you could
use just cornmeal, but you might want to add in the xanthum gum. 1
teaspoon, for 3 cups of flour is all you need. It helps with texture
in gluten free baked goods, and is usally fine for people with food
allergies. Also a bit of lemon juice will make the cornbread lighter
as it will react to the baking powder/soda.

Alex Rast

at Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:45:50 GMT in <Omelet-C0CC8E.00455019092005
@corp.supernews.com>, (OmManiPadmeOmelet) wrote :

>Is there such a thing?
>Is it possible to make cornbread with just cornmeal and no other grain?

Here's another recipe, good for using up milk that you accidentally left
too long and it got sour:

2 cups cornmeal
2 cups sour milk (or use buttermilk if you don't have any sour milk around)
3 eggs
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt.

Preheat oven to 450F. Thoroughly grease a heavy cast-iron skillet with lard
or bacon grease.

Mix the cornmeal, baking soda, and salt together. Cut in the butter until
the mix is pretty uniform. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until frothy
and pale yellow. Set the pan in the oven and allow it to heat until nearly
smoking. At this point, quickly combine sour milk, eggs, and cornmeal
mixture, beat briefly, and pour into the pan. After about 5 minutes, turn
down the oven to 400F without opening the door. Bake for another 25 minutes
or so, or until the top is uniformly brown. This is great eaten warm, or
you can allow it to cool if you prefer.

A cast iron skillet or other pan of cast iron is critical for best results
because it retains the heat best. You can even find purpose-made cornbread
pans built of cast iron, but I figure since the 10" skillet works fine and
is multipurpose, no need to get a special pan for one application.

*DON'T* use ultra-pasteurized milk because it doesn't go sour - it simply
proceeds directly from drinkable to spoiled. Sour milk produces a somewhat
sweeter, richer flavour than buttermilk but you can use buttermilk if you
don't feel like taking risks with milk that's definitely gone sour.
However, I make this all the time as I say, to use up milk that's gone past
its prime. Makes for less waste.

--
Alex Rast

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"LindyB" > wrote:

> Are you trying to avoid gluten, or just wheat?

Both. ;-)

> I make a cornbread with
> cornmeal, rice flour, garbonzo flour, and xanthum gum. All gluten
> free. It is definately heavy, but still tasty. I suppose you could
> use just cornmeal, but you might want to add in the xanthum gum. 1
> teaspoon, for 3 cups of flour is all you need. It helps with texture
> in gluten free baked goods, and is usally fine for people with food
> allergies. Also a bit of lemon juice will make the cornbread lighter
> as it will react to the baking powder/soda.

I react to rice too.
Sends my heart rate thru the roof.

Corn is about the only grain I seem to be able to tolerate.

Thanks for the input!

--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

(OmManiPadmeOmelet) wrote :

> >Is there such a thing?
> >Is it possible to make cornbread with just cornmeal and no other grain?

> Here's another recipe, good for using up milk that you accidentally left
> too long and it got sour:
>
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 2 cups sour milk (or use buttermilk if you don't have any sour milk around)
> 3 eggs
> 2 tbsp butter
> 1 tsp baking soda
> 1 tsp salt.
>
> Preheat oven to 450F. Thoroughly grease a heavy cast-iron skillet with lard
> or bacon grease.
>
> Mix the cornmeal, baking soda, and salt together. Cut in the butter until
> the mix is pretty uniform. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until frothy
> and pale yellow. Set the pan in the oven and allow it to heat until nearly
> smoking. At this point, quickly combine sour milk, eggs, and cornmeal
> mixture, beat briefly, and pour into the pan. After about 5 minutes, turn
> down the oven to 400F without opening the door. Bake for another 25 minutes
> or so, or until the top is uniformly brown. This is great eaten warm, or
> you can allow it to cool if you prefer.
>
> A cast iron skillet or other pan of cast iron is critical for best results
> because it retains the heat best. You can even find purpose-made cornbread
> pans built of cast iron, but I figure since the 10" skillet works fine and
> is multipurpose, no need to get a special pan for one application.
>
> *DON'T* use ultra-pasteurized milk because it doesn't go sour - it simply
> proceeds directly from drinkable to spoiled. Sour milk produces a somewhat
> sweeter, richer flavour than buttermilk but you can use buttermilk if you
> don't feel like taking risks with milk that's definitely gone sour.
> However, I make this all the time as I say, to use up milk that's gone past
> its prime. Makes for less waste.

Thanks!
I have cast iron skillets.
Mom used to bake stuff in them all the time. :-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

Doug Freyburger

LindyB wrote:

> Are you trying to avoid gluten, or just wheat?

My own bad reaction is specific to wheat for some reason.
I can drink barley beer but not wheat beer. I can eat
oatmeal but not cream of wheat. I can eat the few types
of rye-only breads but not regular wheat breads. Since
gluten-free means more than wheat-free, it works for me
and is also overkill for me.

> I make a cornbread with
> cornmeal, rice flour, garbonzo flour, and xanthum gum. All gluten
> free. It is definately heavy, but still tasty. I suppose you could
> use just cornmeal, but you might want to add in the xanthum gum. 1
> teaspoon, for 3 cups of flour is all you need. It helps with texture
> in gluten free baked goods, and is usally fine for people with food
> allergies. Also a bit of lemon juice will make the cornbread lighter
> as it will react to the baking powder/soda.

Thanks.