Dee Randall

Default Ignoring the anchovy recipe, or ignoring the anchovy

I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe and
eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it includes
anchovy.

For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
that much difference?
Thanks for any comments.
Dee Dee

modom

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:29:13 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
>recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe and
>eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
>generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it includes
>anchovy.
>
>For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
>that much difference?
>Thanks for any comments.
>Dee Dee

Yes it makes a difference, but not so much that the anchovy taste
overpowers other things in the mix usually. As a rule adding an
anchovy or two to a sauce will contribute a salty bass note to the
sauce's chord of flavors. No, not a bass fish, but a bass sound. A
foundation of not really identifiable flavor that completes the
culinary statement.

If you're inclined to take my advice, try a recipe or two with
anchovies and see for yourself.

modom
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 18 Sep 2005 07:29:13p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
> recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe
> and eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But
> I generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it
> includes anchovy.
>
> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
> that much difference?
> Thanks for any comments.
> Dee Dee

It would certainly depend on the recipe. Anchovy is often used as a minor
flavoring component, but other times plays a major role. As a minor flavor,
it might not be missed.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Joseph Littleshoes

Dee Randall wrote:

> I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
> recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the
> recipe and
> eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
> generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it
> includes
> anchovy.
>
> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually
> make
> that much difference?
> Thanks for any comments.
> Dee Dee

I am a novice with regards anchovies. But prefer a salt packed to an
oil packed and cautiously introduce them to recipes i am already
familiar with. Often sneaking them in mashed so not only can i not see
the darned things, but no one else knows they are their, either.

I love a good fish stock, but it is so delicate it has to be made daily
and i don't eat much fish at all. Occasionally i get a $1.00 bag of
spines and bones and heads of salmon from a local fish monger that i
boil up into stock but not often.

I used to like using fresh oysters for the same effect. I think the
anchovies are subtler than using a fresh sea creature. Even the anchovy
pastes are not as strongly flavoured as a piece of fresh sea food.

The dish that got me hooked on anchovies, after being somewhat derisory
about them to other people, dead fish on a pizza? I mean really!....was
an Ida Boni stuffed green pepper recipe that had a fairly standard bread
stuffing flavoured with mashed anchovies, i think it originally called
for raisins but i leave them out of the dish i make.
---
JL

Peter Aitken

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
>recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe and
>eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
>generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it
>includes anchovy.
>
> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
> that much difference?
> Thanks for any comments.
> Dee Dee

Usually it does because anchovies have a distinctive taste. If they are
omitted the recipe usually suffers.

--
Peter Aitken

Mamma Mia

i usually ignore the recipe! people say to think of anchovies as a
seasoning, and you would never know it is there if it is sauteed into little
peices, but still, i definitely ignore the recipe!

chris

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
>recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe and
>eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
>generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it
>includes anchovy.
>
> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
> that much difference?
> Thanks for any comments.
> Dee Dee

Dee Randall

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
>> recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the
>> recipe and
>> eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
>> generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it
>> includes
>> anchovy.
>>
>> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually
>> make
>> that much difference?
>> Thanks for any comments.
>> Dee Dee

> I am a novice with regards anchovies. But prefer a salt packed to an
> oil packed and cautiously introduce them to recipes i am already
> familiar with. Often sneaking them in mashed so not only can i not see
> the darned things, but no one else knows they are their, either.
>
> I love a good fish stock, but it is so delicate it has to be made daily
> and i don't eat much fish at all. Occasionally i get a $1.00 bag of
> spines and bones and heads of salmon from a local fish monger that i
> boil up into stock but not often.
>
> I used to like using fresh oysters for the same effect. I think the
> anchovies are subtler than using a fresh sea creature. Even the anchovy
> pastes are not as strongly flavoured as a piece of fresh sea food.
>
> The dish that got me hooked on anchovies, after being somewhat derisory
> about them to other people, dead fish on a pizza? I mean really!

Dead fish on a pizza>
- DH orders it on pizza -- I have to look away - for hours.
I like the idea of introducing it in the way I believe Rachel Ray does, she
says it melts in a pan of EVOO. With that in mind I've purchased
salt-anchovies from a good Italian grocer twice, but they sat in the
refrigerator until I threw them out. The same with the anchovie paste in a
tube. I'm still looking at it.
Dee Dee

Ophelia

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> - DH orders it on pizza -- I have to look away - for hours.
> I like the idea of introducing it in the way I believe Rachel Ray does,
> she says it melts in a pan of EVOO. With that in mind I've purchased
> salt-anchovies from a good Italian grocer twice, but they sat in the
> refrigerator until I threw them out. The same with the anchovie paste in
> a tube. I'm still looking at it.

Hi Dee Dee. My SO hates anchovies but he eats a lot of them without knowing
and compliments me on the food)

It is right.. if you use it as a condiment it gives a lovely depth to the
flavours It does melt with a little oil and you would never know it was
there)

Dee Randall

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> - DH orders it on pizza -- I have to look away - for hours.
>> I like the idea of introducing it in the way I believe Rachel Ray does,
>> she says it melts in a pan of EVOO. With that in mind I've purchased
>> salt-anchovies from a good Italian grocer twice, but they sat in the
>> refrigerator until I threw them out. The same with the anchovie paste in
>> a tube. I'm still looking at it.

> Hi Dee Dee. My SO hates anchovies but he eats a lot of them without
> knowing and compliments me on the food)
>
> It is right.. if you use it as a condiment it gives a lovely depth to the
> flavours It does melt with a little oil and you would never know it was
> there)

Since you say O -- and I trust your judgment -- I'll pick up some AGAIN this
trip to New Haven - shortly! Oh, it scares me to even shop for them/look at
them! (hyperbole again) I hope DH will forgive me for purchasing them yet
again. Perhaps he's hoping.
Dee Dee

Ophelia

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>> - DH orders it on pizza -- I have to look away - for hours.
>>> I like the idea of introducing it in the way I believe Rachel Ray does,
>>> she says it melts in a pan of EVOO. With that in mind I've purchased
>>> salt-anchovies from a good Italian grocer twice, but they sat in the
>>> refrigerator until I threw them out. The same with the anchovie paste
>>> in a tube. I'm still looking at it.

>> Hi Dee Dee. My SO hates anchovies but he eats a lot of them without
>> knowing and compliments me on the food)
>>
>> It is right.. if you use it as a condiment it gives a lovely depth to the
>> flavours It does melt with a little oil and you would never know it
>> was there)

> Since you say O -- and I trust your judgment -- I'll pick up some AGAIN
> this trip to New Haven - shortly! Oh, it scares me to even shop for
> them/look at them! (hyperbole again) I hope DH will forgive me for
> purchasing them yet again. Perhaps he's hoping.

All I can say is to give the recipe a try. You oughtn't to have any lumps
of anchovie in the food but you will have a lovely deep flavour You do
realise you will probably not need to use salt too?

hubert liverman

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
> >recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe

and
> >eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
> >generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it
> >includes anchovy.
> >
> > For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
> > that much difference?
> > Thanks for any comments.
> > Dee Dee
> >

> Usually it does because anchovies have a distinctive taste. If they are
> omitted the recipe usually suffers.

I agree
Please see my post under stuffed mushrooms. There was a substituion that
'seems' to work for the faint of heart,or whatever.

Cheers,

Hubert

> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Dee Randall

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> Hi Dee Dee. My SO hates anchovies but he eats a lot of them without
>>> knowing and compliments me on the food)
>>>
>>> It is right.. if you use it as a condiment it gives a lovely depth to
>>> the flavours It does melt with a little oil and you would never know
>>> it was there)

>> Since you say O -- and I trust your judgment -- I'll pick up some AGAIN
>> this trip to New Haven - shortly! Oh, it scares me to even shop for
>> them/look at them! (hyperbole again) I hope DH will forgive me for
>> purchasing them yet again. Perhaps he's hoping.

> All I can say is to give the recipe a try. You oughtn't to have any lumps
> of anchovie in the food but you will have a lovely deep flavour You do
> realise you will probably not need to use salt too?

>Should I rinse the salt off the salted anchovies. They will come from some
>sort of 'bin' whatever, and the grocer will put them in a plastic container
>for me, but there will still be a lot of salt on them -- OMG (trying to
>keep it down as I write!)

Dee Dee

Dee Randall

"hubert liverman" > wrote in message

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> m...
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> >I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
>> >recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe

> and
>> >eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
>> >generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it
>> >includes anchovy.
>> >
>> > For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually
>> > make
>> > that much difference?
>> > Thanks for any comments.
>> > Dee Dee
>> >

>> Usually it does because anchovies have a distinctive taste. If they are
>> omitted the recipe usually suffers.

> I agree
> Please see my post under stuffed mushrooms. There was a substituion that
> 'seems' to work for the faint of heart,or whatever.

Herbert, reading your posts - do you mean shoyu (er -- soy sauce?)
Thanks for your suggestion.
Dee Dee

Ophelia

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>Should I rinse the salt off the salted anchovies. They will come from
>>some sort of 'bin' whatever, and the grocer will put them in a plastic
>>container for me, but there will still be a lot of salt on them -- OMG
>>(trying to keep it down as I write!)

Well I don't because they substitute for the salt I would otherwise use.
Dee Dee if they really do make you feel sick then don't bother. There are
lots of flavourings for food other than anchovie

Dee Randall

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>>Should I rinse the salt off the salted anchovies. They will come from
>>>some sort of 'bin' whatever, and the grocer will put them in a plastic
>>>container for me, but there will still be a lot of salt on them -- OMG
>>>(trying to keep it down as I write!)

> Well I don't because they substitute for the salt I would otherwise use.
> Dee Dee if they really do make you feel sick then don't bother. There are
> lots of flavourings for food other than anchovie

O.K. So, I'll just knock a little of that salt off.

I KNOW it must be psychological -- but that doesn't mean that it doesn't
make me feel sick. I seem to have no mind over matter when it comes to
anchovies. (My brother used to chase me with those horrid fishing worms
that came out when it rained. - I can't get over it! - tee hee -- No
kidding!) I realize that anchovies are not fishing worms, but my neurons
kick in -- FISHING WORMS ARE COMING AFTER ME!
Dee Dee

notbob

On 2005-09-19, Dee Randall > wrote:

> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
> that much difference?

Not as much as the anchovy. Most ppl dislike anchovies because they
are just so damned salty! I'm talking gag a maggot salty. This is
particularly true with oil-packed anchovies. Surprisingly, salt
packed anchovies are wayyy less salty, and much more appetizing. I
used to eat them straight with beer. Unfortunately, this is probably
what brought on my first experience with gout, as anchovies are death
to gout sufferers. Anyway, using salt packed anchovies may give you a
whole new outlook on the little fish. If you still don't like them,
try worcestershire sauce or nam pla (fish sauce), both of which are
made with anchovies.

nb

nb
Kate Connally

Dee Randall wrote:

> I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
> recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe and
> eliminate the anchovy.

That would be me. Depending on the recipe I would make it
without the anchovy.

> I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
> generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it includes
> anchovy.

I see hundreds of recipes that have things in I don't like
and I often think, "Wow, that sounds like it would be really
good without the anchovies (or whatever)." or, "Wow, that sounds
like it would be really good with X instead of the anchovies (
or whatever)."

> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
> that much difference?

Yes, it makes a HUGE difference! I makes it MUCH better! ;-)

Kate
Ophelia

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

>> Well I don't because they substitute for the salt I would otherwise use.
>> Dee Dee if they really do make you feel sick then don't bother. There
>> are lots of flavourings for food other than anchovie

> O.K. So, I'll just knock a little of that salt off.
>
> I KNOW it must be psychological -- but that doesn't mean that it doesn't
> make me feel sick. I seem to have no mind over matter when it comes to
> anchovies. (My brother used to chase me with those horrid fishing worms
> that came out when it rained. - I can't get over it! - tee hee -- No
> kidding!) I realize that anchovies are not fishing worms, but my neurons
> kick in -- FISHING WORMS ARE COMING AFTER ME!

Oh dear))))))))))))))))

Dee Randall

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-09-19, Dee Randall > wrote:
>
>> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
>> that much difference?

> Not as much as the anchovy. Most ppl dislike anchovies because they
> are just so damned salty! I'm talking gag a maggot salty. This is
> particularly true with oil-packed anchovies. Surprisingly, salt
> packed anchovies are wayyy less salty, and much more appetizing. I
> used to eat them straight with beer. Unfortunately, this is probably
> what brought on my first experience with gout, as anchovies are death
> to gout sufferers. Anyway, using salt packed anchovies may give you a
> whole new outlook on the little fish. If you still don't like them,
> try worcestershire sauce or nam pla (fish sauce), both of which are
> made with anchovies.>
> nb

Interesting, tho my DH loves anchovies, he WON'T buy nam pla - I don't think
this has to do with . DH was a world traveler and has no real problems with
just about any food. Now, me, I like nam pla in dishes. We are at a
stand-off on any Thai dishes. Hence I'm looking forward to my next trip
(soonest) to CT to eat some Thai curry.

P.S. OT - I saw a TV program re gout fairly recently - this guy damned near
died (hyperbole perhaps) before he was diagnosed. I'm glad you were
diagnosed soonest.
Dee Dee

The Joneses

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
> >> recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the ...
> >> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually
> >> make that much difference?
> >> Thanks for any comments.
> >> Dee Dee

> > I am a novice with regards anchovies. But prefer a salt packed to an
> > oil packed and cautiously introduce them to recipes i am already
> > familiar with. Often sneaking them in mashed so not only can i not see
> > the darned things, but no one else knows they are their, either.
> >
> > The dish that got me hooked on anchovies, after being somewhat derisory
> > about them to other people, dead fish on a pizza? I mean really!

> Dead fish on a pizza>
> - DH orders it on pizza -- I have to look away - for hours.
> I like the idea of introducing it in the way I believe Rachel Ray does, she
> says it melts in a pan of EVOO. With that in mind I've purchased
> salt-anchovies from a good Italian grocer twice, but they sat in the
> refrigerator until I threw them out. The same with the anchovie paste in a
> tube. I'm still looking at it.
> Dee Dee

I like the little ones curled around a caper on devilled eggs. Or plain
ones for that matter.
Edrena

notbob

On 2005-09-19, Dee Randall > wrote:

> P.S. OT - I saw a TV program re gout fairly recently - this guy damned near
> died (hyperbole perhaps)....

Definitely hyperbole on my part. I meant "death" as in numero uno on
the gout no-no food list. I take meds for it and haven't had a bout
in several years. I still don't eat anchovies like I used to, but
maybe a dab of paste here and there and some nam pla in my thai food.
Thank you for the kind thoughts.

nb
hubert liverman

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "hubert liverman" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> > m...

recipe
> > and

> >> Usually it does because anchovies have a distinctive taste. If they are
> >> omitted the recipe usually suffers.

> > I agree
> > Please see my post under stuffed mushrooms. There was a substituion that
> > 'seems' to work for the faint of heart,or whatever.

> Herbert, reading your posts - do you mean shoyu (er -- soy sauce?)
> Thanks for your suggestion.
> Dee Dee

Yes, as a generic term. It is a liquid in bottles,dark and salty.
Hope this helps.
Hubert

Joseph Littleshoes

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see

> >> recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the
> >> recipe and
> >> eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But

> >> generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it

> >> includes
> >> anchovy.
> >>
> >> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually

> >> make
> >> that much difference?
> >> Thanks for any comments.
> >> Dee Dee

> > I am a novice with regards anchovies. But prefer a salt packed to

> an
> > oil packed and cautiously introduce them to recipes i am already
> > familiar with. Often sneaking them in mashed so not only can i not

> see
> > the darned things, but no one else knows they are their, either.
> >
> > I love a good fish stock, but it is so delicate it has to be made

> daily
> > and i don't eat much fish at all. Occasionally i get a $1.00 bag of

> > spines and bones and heads of salmon from a local fish monger that i

> > boil up into stock but not often.
> >
> > I used to like using fresh oysters for the same effect. I think the

> > anchovies are subtler than using a fresh sea creature. Even the

> anchovy
> > pastes are not as strongly flavoured as a piece of fresh sea food.
> >
> > The dish that got me hooked on anchovies, after being somewhat

> derisory
> > about them to other people, dead fish on a pizza? I mean really!

> Dead fish on a pizza>
> - DH orders it on pizza -- I have to look away - for hours.
> I like the idea of introducing it in the way I believe Rachel Ray
> does, she
> says it melts in a pan of EVOO. With that in mind I've purchased
> salt-anchovies from a good Italian grocer twice, but they sat in the
> refrigerator until I threw them out. The same with the anchovie paste
> in a
> tube. I'm still looking at it.
> Dee Dee

I am lucky enough to live near an Italian deli that sells individual
salt packed anchovy or by the pound or any amount one wants. A half
pound will last me months and i probly wouldn't know if they had 'gone
off' but considering their nature (salt packed) i should think they
would last a long time.

For about 2 cups of tomato sauce i would add a tsp. or so of anchovy
paste, some garlic and sautéed onion and serve.

Often times when a recipe calls for anchovy i mash a few with a couple
of cloves of garlic and then use the specified amount of anchovy called
for in the recipe.

Occasionally i make a stuffed pasta with ground chicken, herbs, garlic &
white wine and anchovy. But just about combination of sea food,
chicken, garlic and white wine is good. Especially if cooked with
butter.
---
JL

Dee Randall

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:

>> > I am a novice with regards anchovies. But prefer a salt packed to

>> an
>> > oil packed and cautiously introduce them to recipes i am already
>> > familiar with. Often sneaking them in mashed so not only can i not

>> see
>> > the darned things, but no one else knows they are their, either.
>> >
>> > I love a good fish stock, but it is so delicate it has to be made

>> daily
>> > and i don't eat much fish at all. Occasionally i get a $1.00 bag of

>> > spines and bones and heads of salmon from a local fish monger that i

>> > boil up into stock but not often.
>> >
>> > I used to like using fresh oysters for the same effect. I think the

>> > anchovies are subtler than using a fresh sea creature. Even the

>> anchovy
>> > pastes are not as strongly flavoured as a piece of fresh sea food.
>> >
>> > The dish that got me hooked on anchovies, after being somewhat

>> derisory
>> > about them to other people, dead fish on a pizza? I mean really!

>> Dead fish on a pizza>
>> - DH orders it on pizza -- I have to look away - for hours.
>> I like the idea of introducing it in the way I believe Rachel Ray
>> does, she
>> says it melts in a pan of EVOO. With that in mind I've purchased
>> salt-anchovies from a good Italian grocer twice, but they sat in the
>> refrigerator until I threw them out. The same with the anchovie paste
>> in a
>> tube. I'm still looking at it.
>> Dee Dee

> I am lucky enough to live near an Italian deli that sells individual
> salt packed anchovy or by the pound or any amount one wants. A half
> pound will last me months and i probly wouldn't know if they had 'gone
> off' but considering their nature (salt packed) i should think they
> would last a long time.
>
> For about 2 cups of tomato sauce i would add a tsp. or so of anchovy
> paste, some garlic and sautéed onion and serve.
>
> Often times when a recipe calls for anchovy i mash a few with a couple
> of cloves of garlic and then use the specified amount of anchovy called
> for in the recipe.
>
> Occasionally i make a stuffed pasta with ground chicken, herbs, garlic &
> white wine and anchovy. But just about combination of sea food,
> chicken, garlic and white wine is good. Especially if cooked with
> butter.
> ---
> JL

Thanks for your advice.
Funny, but the last time I bought them and let them sit in the refrigerator,
when I finally did notice them, when I was moving some things around to
another refrigerator, they had mold on them. I knew it was a while -- but
considering all the salt, I was surprised.
Perhaps this is something I can (when I get my foodsaver) I can consider
putting one or two in a bag in the freezer instead of letting the whole
thing remain in a plastic container. I noticed that America's Test Kitchen
took a pound of bacon apart and froze a few slices in each separate bags.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Dee Dee

Dimitri

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a recipe,
>just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe and eliminate
>the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I generally look for
>another recipe thinking I will not like it if it includes anchovy.
>
> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make that
> much difference?
> Thanks for any comments.
> Dee Dee

I also wonder how many people like the sasuce listed below and have no idea some
of the "sharp" taste comes from anchovies?

Dimitri

Worcestershire sauce
[WOOS-tuhr-shuhr, WOOS-tuhr-sheer]
Though this CONDIMENT was originally developed in India by the English, it takes
its name from the fact that it was first bottled in Worcester, England. It's a
thin, dark, rather piquant sauce used to season meats, gravies, soups and
vegetable juices, and as a table condiment. It's also an essential ingredient in
the popular BLOODY MARY cocktail. Worcestershire's formula usually includes
garlic, soy sauce, tamarind, onions, molasses, lime, anchovies, vinegar and
various seasonings. It's widely available in supermarkets.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:37:03 -0500, notbob > wrote:
>

>>Not as much as the anchovy. Most ppl dislike anchovies because they
>>are just so damned salty! I'm talking gag a maggot salty. This is
>>particularly true with oil-packed anchovies. Surprisingly, salt
>>packed anchovies are wayyy less salty, and much more appetizing. I
>>used to eat them straight with beer.

> Nope, this is exactly why I love them, SALTY. I felt the same most do on
> the
> anchovy issue till I went to some restaurant and got a salad and part of
> the mix
> was.... anchovies. Didn't know it till the bowl was just about pristine
> clean.
> and I am like "what were those fantastic salty little things?" I knew I
> was in
> trouble when I just got looks till finally told. Ever since the anchovy
> has been
> my friend. I keep plenty on hand and use regularly in salads, sauces, on
> pizzas,
> what ever I can pretty much. You will always find plenty of anchovies in
> my
> pantry and at least some in the fridge for awhile.

Do you use the salted anchovies? They are vastly superior to the ones in
tins. Yu do have to fillet them and usually soak or rinse but the flavor is
great. Gustiamo.com has some excellent ones.

--
Peter Aitken

Goomba38

My anchovy story: I was eating at The Court of Two Sisters in New
Orleans this past May. I asked for a Caesar salad, which they make at
table side and I'd never had one mixed before my eyes before. I asked
the waitress if she could leave the anchovy out? "No," she said "It
wouldn't be Casaer salad then.And you'll never know it's in there if
made properly" SO wanting to experience one at a good restaurant I
swallowed my fears of anchovies and said "ok, bring it on!"
I watched her smash that sucker (or two?) into the wooden bowl with a
fork as she started the dressing and finished the salad.
It was a wonderful salad and I'm glad she told me no. I know, I know,
one has the right to have things as they want when paying, but I wanted
to try it experience it properly too. I won't go out of my way to eat
another on its own but I won't fear them in a salad anymore either.

Goomba
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> My anchovy story: I was eating at The Court of Two Sisters in New
> Orleans this past May. I asked for a Caesar salad, which they make at
> table side and I'd never had one mixed before my eyes before. I asked
> the waitress if she could leave the anchovy out? "No," she said "It
> wouldn't be Casaer salad then.And you'll never know it's in there if
> made properly" SO wanting to experience one at a good restaurant I
> swallowed my fears of anchovies and said "ok, bring it on!"
> I watched her smash that sucker (or two?) into the wooden bowl with a
> fork as she started the dressing and finished the salad.
> It was a wonderful salad and I'm glad she told me no. I know, I know,
> one has the right to have things as they want when paying, but I wanted
> to try it experience it properly too. I won't go out of my way to eat
> another on its own but I won't fear them in a salad anymore either.
>
> Goomba

Nothing wrong with anchovies IF they are prepared properly. :-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

Nancy Young

"Goomba38" > wrote

> My anchovy story: I was eating at The Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans
> this past May. I asked for a Caesar salad, which they make at table side
> and I'd never had one mixed before my eyes before. I asked the waitress if
> she could leave the anchovy out? "No," she said "It wouldn't be Casaer
> salad then.And you'll never know it's in there if made properly" SO
> wanting to experience one at a good restaurant I swallowed my fears of
> anchovies and said "ok, bring it on!"
> I watched her smash that sucker (or two?) into the wooden bowl with a fork
> as she started the dressing and finished the salad.
> It was a wonderful salad and I'm glad she told me no. I know, I know, one
> has the right to have things as they want when paying, but I wanted to try
> it experience it properly too. I won't go out of my way to eat another on
> its own but I won't fear them in a salad anymore either.

Wow, that's exactly what happened to me! A number of years back I
was in a restaurant in Newton, MA, and they did the same
tableside/wooden bowl thing, I didn't say a word but I was a little
leery about the icky little fish. (smile) Best Caesar salad I ever had
before or since. (no yelling, I know real caesar doesn't have the
anchovies)

nancy

-L.

Dee Randall wrote:
> I wonder how many people who don't care for anchovies when they see a
> recipe, just look for another recipe; or they generally make the recipe and
> eliminate the anchovy. I guess it would depend on the recipe. But I
> generally look for another recipe thinking I will not like it if it includes
> anchovy.
>
> For those who like anchovies, does a recipe made with them actually make
> that much difference?
> Thanks for any comments.
> Dee Dee

Anchovies are Devil's spoogie. That, and marmite/vegemite. If it
calls for anchovies, I leave it out, or substitiute something else that
sounds better, if appropriate - like capers.

I was all psyched - I bought some frozen crab cakes and really had a
taste for them. I bit into one and almost lost it - they contained
anchovy paste. Grrrrr...major waste of 7 bucks.

-L.

Default User

Goomba38 wrote:

> My anchovy story: I was eating at The Court of Two Sisters in New
> Orleans this past May. I asked for a Caesar salad, which they make at
> table side and I'd never had one mixed before my eyes before. I asked
> the waitress if she could leave the anchovy out? "No," she said "It
> wouldn't be Casaer salad then.And you'll never know it's in there if
> made properly"

You want to know the funny thing? The original recipe for Caesar salad
didn't have anchovies.

Brian (anchovy lover)

won't shut up.
Shaun aRe

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Nothing wrong with anchovies IF they are prepared properly. :-)
>
> Cheers!

Indeed. Preparing anchovies properly consist of no more than removing them
from their container and placing them in ones mouth.

Shaun aRe

Peter Aitken

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> Nothing wrong with anchovies IF they are prepared properly. :-)
>>
>> Cheers!

> Indeed. Preparing anchovies properly consist of no more than removing them
> from their container and placing them in ones mouth.

Actually if you get the salted anchovies, which are much better, you need to
fillet them and, unless you really like salt, rinse or soak

--
Peter Aitken

Shaun aRe

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
news
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> >> Nothing wrong with anchovies IF they are prepared properly. :-)
> >>
> >> Cheers!

> > Indeed. Preparing anchovies properly consist of no more than removing

them
> > from their container and placing them in ones mouth.
> >

> Actually if you get the salted anchovies, which are much better, you need

> fillet them and, unless you really like salt, rinse or soak

They're only 'much better' to those that prefer them, Peter ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Anchovy Toasts (even anchovy-phobes will like this) Julian Vrieslander General Cooking 8 04-01-2010 10:10 AM
Shark Steaks w/Anchovy-Caper Sauce: Recipe & Pic Lou Decruss General Cooking 0 16-01-2007 06:50 PM
Ignoring Rudy David Wright Sr. Vegan 254 19-08-2005 07:10 PM
anchovy Frank Preserving 2 10-11-2004 10:02 AM
Ignoring the Disrupters [email protected] Barbecue 40 24-11-2003 10:25 PM